• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

Zia

I love the art style of this one

That's by Colin Northway, the blonde-bearded blue guy in Spelunky XBLA. Reason enough to support it! I played a very ugly version of that about a year ago, and it was quite good. I'm really surprised he's going through Greenlight (same with BasketBelle and Waiting for Horus).

Blizzard

Banned
Whatever it was, it's gone already. I wonder if people will start submitting late at night so Valve doesn't catch stuff so quickly. :p

From the comments there a lot of people seem to misunderstand what Greenlight is.

Or maybe not misunderstand, but what they want is more like Good Old Games wishlist.
Yeah, a wishlist would be a good thing to have so people have an outlet.

HoosTrax

Lol, what in the world...

Isn't the Nyan Cat copyrighted by the kid who created it? The game has Captain Video (from VVVVVV)'s head in it as well.

Edit: The responses in the comments do suggest that he has permission to use those characters in the game. Stepmania engine. Looks decently polished. I might have to go against my initial knee jerk reaction and upvote it.

Zia

Two questions

a) By default, are games organized by popularity, or is it random?

b) Can you retract a vote?

Sanic

Well wandering into the discussion section of greenlight was a bad idea...

Anyway, i'm still mulling over if I want to submit today or not. There's not a whole lot to show off yet, but I do have a playable build. I'm trying to gauge the reactions to some other games to see if I would get downvoted for basically just having only a concept at this point.

Ahhh, so they got it in time at the end. Too bad, we wanted to have finished the trailer for our game today and add it to greenlight but we had some problems.
Well, hope this system works and the real good games get elected to go to steam. Im afraid at the end there will be too much clusterfuck of shovelware mixed with good games and it will be a pian in the ass to find good ones, but Im hope im wrong and the system works to fing new amazing games.

To all the people who have entered today, good luck! Im voting some of them already beacuse they look really cool.

Vastag

Anyway, i'm still mulling over if I want to submit today or not. There's not a whole lot to show off yet, but I do have a playable build. I'm trying to gauge the reactions to some other games to see if I would get downvoted for basically just having only a concept at this point.

Let us know if you submit it. I have already seen a couple of games by gaf members.

Ahhh, so they got it in time at the end. Too bad, we wanted to have finished the trailer for our game today and add it to greenlight but we had some problems.
Well, hope this system works and the real good games get elected to go to steam. Im afraid at the end there will be too much clusterfuck of shovelware mixed with good games and it will be a pian in the ass to find good ones, but Im hope im wrong and the system works to fing new amazing games.

To all the people who have entered today, good luck! Im voting some of them already beacuse they look really cool.

They should almost consider some small barrier of entry lest they end up like XBLIG. With the whole thing being free, anyone can toss their crap game up with the hope of getting lucky, and that's ignoring the inevitable abuse.

I hope someone is willing to do a monthly thread like the XBLIG thread.

SumGamer

Voted 4 games and now it said I have no permission to up vote anymore. No idea why. At least I voted for Project Zomboid already.

Wok

Well wandering into the discussion section of greenlight was a bad idea...

Wait for the pitch to be perfect. Or you will get unwanted downvotes.

catabarez

They should almost consider some small barrier of entry lest they end up like XBLIG. With the whole thing being free, anyone can toss their crap game up with the hope of getting lucky, and that's ignoring the inevitable abuse.

I hope someone is willing to do a monthly thread like the XBLIG thread.

That's a great idea actually.

Fuck, theres people already trolling.
Valave has already erased thank god, if they are this fast always, this could be good.

It was indeed. I just about to start begging people to vote for it.

Voted your game before I knew it was from a gaffer, but I had a look to the game on greenlight becuase I remember seeing the games logo as your avatar the other day lol

I love the trailer!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I actually kinda like to see stuff like text adventures pop up and give the genre a bit more visibility.

Sanic

Wait for the pitch to be perfect. Or you will get unwanted downvotes.

Probably for the best. With these kinds of things, it's always an appealing prospect to be one of the first, but with almost 200 entries in less than two hours, that won't really end up being the case anyway. Contrary to what some may have been thinking, it seems greenlight will still be a case of having to do the marketing and promotion of your game elsewhere, with the greenlight system essentially just a way of getting Valve's attention.

Lot's of interesting games uploaded so far; I just really hope the decent stuff gets noticed.

BiggNife

This could be a good idea becuase I think the author of a game cant do ads about in the forums, I remember people being banned for it, someone correct me if im wrong.

I don't think they can make a thread purely for self promotion

But I've seen people promote their games in relevant threads (such as the Android Gaming Thread, where Beril has promoted Gunman Clive) without any problems.

lefantome

I voted gunman clive, very nice!

I voted Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land that is very nice old school game.

268x268.resizedimage

Zia

So far I've played it really safe, voting for stuff I've played or assume to be quality: BasketBelle, Waiting for Horus, Project Zomboid, Octodad, Incredipede, Dino Run SE and McPixel.

Not down-voting anything else, as I have a feeling that half of the games I like will not make it on the service ("Looks ghey."). ; (

BiggNife

Are there any Pinball games up yet that I should vote for? Searching for "pinball" returned nothing :-(

Not that I've seen yet. Pretty sure The Pinball Arcade will be on there soon, though. The developers have expressed a desire to get on Steam but have apparently been denied by Valve because Valve thinks there isn't a demand for pinball games.

Ceebs

If this an example of what gets submitted to Steam it's no wonder games get overlooked in the queue. There is some terrible looking stuff in here.

Upvoted: Project Giana, Gunman Clive, McPixel, Mutant Mudds and Project Zomboid.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Someone convince me out of this. I want to try submitting a game I've been working on since last year, and I could easily take some screenshots and a video for it, but I had decided months ago prior that I wouldn't start releasing media or trying to hype it until October. I know Steam Greenlit could make a page for it and then I could build up on it as time passes, but I think maybe it might be better to wait until I have media ready in October than rushing screenshots or putting the page up without any media.

Should I just submit the page now and build up on it over time, or wait until I release media officially before I do so. I know a game stays on the store until it is accepted.

Top Bottom