• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Costanza

Banned
oghuys.gif

Platform: 360/PS3/PC
Price: $59.99 console, $49.99 PC, Ultralimited 360 version - $149.99, only 1k made
Ship Date: 10/14/08 US, 10/24/08 EU

Dead Space

From Wikipedia:

Summary said:
Dead Space is a third-person action video game, being developed by EA Redwood Shores for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Microsoft Windows. The player takes on the role of an engineer named Isaac Clarke, who battles a polymorphic alien species called the 'Necromorphs' on board a stricken interstellar mining ship.

Gameplay said:
The player takes the role of Isaac Clarke, an engineer who must fight his way through a stricken mining ship infested with Necromorphs, a hostile alien species. The game features an 'over the shoulder' third-person perspective, similar to games Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War. The interface does not feature a traditional head-up display. Instead, information is relayed to the player via holographic projections, which hover over Isaac's weapons and armor.

Weightless and decompressed environments also appear in Dead Space, and Isaac can navigate through them using his pressurized suit and magnetic boots. Some levels even lead out onto the surface of the ship's hull. Floating debris presents a hazard, however, and Isaac can lose his footing and simply float off into space. In keeping with Isaac's profession as an engineer rather than a soldier, weapons in the game are mostly improvised, and consist of an array of bolt cutters, stasis fields and rudimentary energy weapons.

Combat in Dead Space becomes complicated when Necromorphs do not simply "die" after receiving a certain number of gun rounds. In fact, depending on how they are wounded, Necromorphs can adopt new stances and tactics, even sprouting new limbs and giving birth in the process. To defeat the Necromorphs, Isaac must utilize "strategic dismemberment," the methodical severance of specific limbs or sections of the Necromorphs. Dead Space's executive producer, Glen Schofield, has said that "the primary theme of Dead Space is dismemberment," and early previews of the game have noted the high levels of gore.

Official sites:
http://www.deadspacegame.com
http://www.noknownsurvivors.com

Trailers and Gameplay Footage
Dead Space: Use Your Powers Wisely [Contains Spoilers]
Exploring the Upgrade System [Contains Spoilers]

Comics
:

Issue 1: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33147.html
Issue 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34614.html
Issue 3: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35457.html
Issue 4: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37874.html
Issue 5: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39151.html
Issue 6: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40928.html

Screenshots:

dead-space-20080916032645960_640w.jpg

dead-space-20080916032649163_640w.jpg

dead-space-20080729042431313_640w.jpg

dead-space-20080916032634492_640w.jpg

360 Exclusive Suit
PS3 Exclusive Suit
Preorder Exclusive Scorpion Suit

Reviews:

IGN: 8.7
, Video Review
Gamepro: 5/5
Xbox World Magazine UK: 9.1
PSW Magazine UK: 9.0
1UP - B+
Eurogamer - 7/10
OXM - 6.5
Gamespot - 9.0
Gamedaily - 9/10
SarcasticGamer - A+
GameRevolution - A-

P.S.: An animated prequel movie titled Dead Space: Downfall will be releasing on DVD/Blu-ray October 28th. You can see a trailer here. For reference, the story timeline goes Comics -> Movie -> Game. Also, Toys R Us is running a B2G1 sale during the week the game releases. You guys might want to take advantage of that.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
nice! it begins.

might want to put up some shots of the two different suits for the ps3 and 360 versions of the game. i guess that might make some difference to someone who cares about that shit.

i think your screenshots are nicely illustrative of how great the game looks and encourage people to check out more information. so well done.

Truant

Just a thought; the OP main image should be a huge .gif of the flashlight illuminating the 'Dead Space' logo from all the trailers.

The one game that really stood out to me after watching E3, and I don't own a system that can play it. Despite that, I'm glad it has received good reviews.

jaaz

I can't wait for lots of red strobe lights covered by a steel protective mini-cage and a female voice telling me that the "Self-Destruct Sequence Has Been Initiated".

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
To be honest, I didn't know much about this game until a few weeks ago, but I was instantly sold when I read about the theme. Survival-horror in outer space? Has the potential to be scary as fuck.

I just wish it wasn't coming out during a week where I'm going to be totally fucking broke. Oh well, I can wait.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Linkified said:
EU release date is 24/10 Costanza
Arse, I was just going to post that. :(

Anyway, can't wait for the 24th to arrive, 1 week before Halloween is a perfect release date in my view.

I hope the nice reviews and impressions will continue to come, this game sounded bland and uninspired at first, but it looks like it has become a pretty good game after all. It's nice to see EA doing good stuff after the PS2-era.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Costanza said:
I'm gonna watch those comics later today.

i should as well. as megahyped as i've been about the game, i tend to avoid the extra stuff around most games, choosing to take the game as its own entity. but if people here think they're worthwhile, i'll be on it asap.

Costanza

Banned
Big-E said:
Will be getting though I don't know which version to get.
Me neither. I was going to get the 360 version but I'm thinking maybe I'll go PS3 to keep the platform consistent with the prequel movie on Blu-ray (unless we hear the PS3 version has problems.. hopefully not).

Xater

Costanza said:
Me neither. I was going to get the 360 version but I'm thinking maybe I'll go PS3 to keep the platform consistent with the prequel movie on Blu-ray (unless we hear the PS3 version has problems.. hopefully not).

IGN says in their HEad to Head that the versions are identical. (see the IGN review thread)

JdFoX187

Banned
I received a code through my e-mail from Gamestop for the Scorpion Suit. Yet when I put it in, Microsoft doesn't like the code. Any ideas why?

Costanza

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
I received a code through my e-mail from Gamestop for the Scorpion Suit. Yet when I put it in, Microsoft doesn't like the code. Any ideas why?
Probably doesn't go live until the game is out.

Speaking of the preorder bonus, if anyone happens to get an extra one.. I'd love to have it. getting the game from TRU so I can't get one for myself

JdFoX187 said:

I don't think the suit is up on the marketplace yet. They just put it up on PSN in the last update so I expect it'll be on XBLM by release.

I think I'll pick this up. I was get the 360 version but if the ps3 version is the same, as it seems, I'll import it.

RiverBed

Banned
there is an animated movie titled: Dead Space: Downfall releasing on the 28th of this month in the US. you can check the gore-fest trailer on youtube.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Costanza said:
I saw this on another forum regarding the comparison of the two versions...

Overall
EA Redwood Shores has done one of the best jobs I've seen of making sure their game runs equally well on the 360 and PS3. The game looks great, sounds great, and plays great on both platforms. Neither version is missing a crucial feature, and EA has outdone most other major third party publishers by including Trophy support in the PS3 version. The game runs identically on both platforms, and controls equally as well on either controller. You'll be able to save yourself a few seconds when loading a saved game on the PS3 version, but this isn't something you'd notice unless you were actively timing it. Ultimately, the PS3 and 360 version of the game will deliver an identically entertaining and atmospheric experience.

Zeliard

Holy shit, I had no idea this was also coming out for PC. :lol

Thought I was going to have another annoying "360 or PS3" decision on my hands, but the fact that there's a PC version makes things quite easy.

BeeDog

dark10x said:
I saw this on another forum regarding the comparison of the two versions...

Sounds freaking good. Will await some more impressions, and if they're all positive, it's so bought. :D Need something gory.

does any review mentions how long the game is ? I don't want to get a 6 hour game for 60 dollars, considering how many games come out in the next week and week after.

Draft

Unregistered007 said:
does any review mentions how long the game is ? I don't want to get a 6 hour game for 60 dollars, considering how many games come out in the next week and week after.
12 hours seems to be the average.

Xater

Unregistered007 said:

About 12 hours.

Edit: Beaten

Top Bottom