• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

eshop time restrictions, wtf?

lenovox1

Well its quarter to midnight so its all working fine now, will post one up tomorrow

Just comes up with a message saying something like times during which this can be accessed have been restricted

You should email customer support. Seems like assn issue on their end, like was said upthread.

It's 50 cents, if you can afford a Wii U then you can pay 50 cents for this, and I'd say the same for Sony and Microsoft.

With that logic, how bout all three charge 5 cents every time you turn on the console. It's only a nickle, if you can afford a videogame system, you can afford 5 cents.

CoolS

Sounds exactly like that stupid german law thats applicable in DD shops in germany, like Origin e.g.

No idea why this happens in the UK though.

Meelow

Banned
With that logic, how bout all three charge 5 cents every time you turn on the console. It's only a nickle, if you can afford a videogame system, you can afford 5 cents.

You pay for it once and it's done with, it's very different.

Anyway, if people are complaining about this then they will complain about anything.

Sounds exactly like that stupid german law thats applicable in DD shops in germany, like Origin e.g.

No idea why this happens in the UK though.

Ah seeing as Nintendo Europe is based in Germany that could make sense (not that I no anything about German law)

epmode

You pay for it once and it's done with, it's very different.

Anyway, if people are complaining about this then they will complain about anything.

Thankfully, GAF is full of people who will defend bad decisions from multinational corporations for free.

deviljho

mqdefault.jpg

Oersted

Nintendo charges one one hundredth the cost of a year of Xbox Live to set up a Nintendo Network child account.

Nintendo, behind in everything.

Ah seeing as Nintendo Europe is based in Germany that could make sense (not that I no anything about German law)

Doesn´t matter in this case. Just call the hotline or mail if it bothers you so much

It's a pain in the ass! Can't buy or even access information on zombiU or AssCreed.

The message says: "You cannot view this content" "The times during which this content can be viewed have been restricted"

I'm 29 years old ffs, I don't need Nintendo to shield me from scary zombies and the assassination of British folk before 11pm.

What the hell? Difference being, you try and access the Harold & Kumar Christmas trailer on Nintendo Video, and it just brings up a DD/MM/YY format age prompt.

You know, like everything on the internet ever.

BowieZ

Banned
Yup this applies to me as well.

I'm 27, can't even click on ZombiU etc in the eShop without an 'error' msg saying You Cannot View This, Time Restriction etc

AU PAL Wii U, but I'm registered in the UK.

brucelito

Same thing here in Sweden, and I´m sure it has nothing to do with national laws/regulation.

Too bad you can´t adjust your timezone in your profile, maybe that would have worked.

Well I'm glad to hear people actually realise what the hell I'm going on about now, will be contacting Nintendo to complain about this

deleted

Same here, it's the same stupid shit with some sites like gamestar.de that restrict their videos by time, unless you use a postident registration or something simlar.

Nintendo should have made parental controls necessary in Germany with the first start, so that you can set the slider to USK 18 and be done with it. I'd gladly pay the 50 cent fee too, just to prove that I am psychologically able to access the ZombiU gamepage before 11pm.

Nintendo should have made parental controls necessary in Germany with the first start, so that you can set the slider to USK 18 and be done with it. I'd gladly pay the 50 cent fee too, just to prove that I am psychologically able to access the ZombiU gamepage before 11pm.

...physically maybe? So wait, UK/EU don't require a £0.50 charge? That's a little silly, I'd be glad to do that. Not going to make me overdrawn or anything.

deleted

...physically maybe? So wait, UK/EU don't require a £0.50 charge? That's a little silly, I'd be glad to do that. Not going to make me overdrawn or anything.

That too ;) leo.org tells me that it's 'mentally' I was looking for in that context.

The eShop didn't ask for any transaction. Then again, the fiorst thing I did was to buy NSMBU digitally.

Thankfully, GAF is full of people who will defend bad decisions from multinational corporations for free.

In this particular case, Nintendo is only complying to the law. Specifically the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), which requires them to charge that fee.

In this particular case, Nintendo is only complying to the law. Specifically the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), which requires them to charge that fee.

Don't most places just put a temporary $0.01 hold on the credit card and refund it afterwards? Unless I'm misinformed, I don't see why Nintendo has to profit off this.

Polk

Don't most places just put a temporary $0.01 hold on the credit card and refund it afterwards? Unless I'm misinformed, I don't see why Nintendo has to profit off this.
I'm not sure if they really profit from this. There's fee someone has to pay.
Most companies take the loss on themselves because they hope you will buy something on the future.
Looks like Nintendo thinks they won't get any income.
I still think fee should be $1 but counted to your wiiu wallet.

jonno394

haha. just went to ZombiU and cant access it as "the time this can be viewed has been restricted". Well played Nintendo......

Haunted

Just be happy your parents paid the 50 cents.
:lol :lol

Thread started out hilarious but went to serious business real quick once it's clear that this restriction is... real? wtf is this nazi bullshit. Maybe it's a bug having a setting for kid accounts affect all of them?

Get your shit together, Nintendo.

I look forward to their dismissive yet friendly reply.

So do I, I'm thinking if Nintendo aren't any help might get in touch with 3rd parties well ubisoft specifically cant imagine they'd be too happy if people can only buy zombi u in the middle of the night

sakipon

Maybe it's a bug having a setting for kid accounts affect all of them?

Why would it be OK for little Timmy to view adult stuff at night? Especially as he can take the GamePad to his room and boot up eShop from there while his parents are sleeping.

Flayer

Wait, so you can't play the digital version of ZombieU in the UK until after 11pm?! That's the most amazing and unbelievable thing I've heard in weeks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No charge in the UK for setting up a child Nintendo account - just an email confirmation. It assumes the child put an adult email address though, could have been anything.

Top Bottom