• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thieves steal $2m worth of Wii (Wii U?) consoles

God damn, that is some grade A crime there. Industrious lot. Man, I can't believe how poor the brand identity of the Wii U is. Still betting on a lot of disapointed kids with Xmas who didn't get the Wii U but a Wii.

Lol at first response. GAF first posts are the best posts

I heard Nintendo shipped Wii by sea to be more green and to save money. Things sure have changed. I guess they're coming in fairly regularly, doesn't necessarily mean it's an inside job. But that's some lax security.

DMeisterJ

Banned
The picture is of the Wii, the video shows the WiiU, the text of the story says 'portable Wii gaming consoles'.

Such an epic amount of confusion.

Levyne

Banned
If a bunch of 360's were stolen, I could see simply "Xbox consoles" being used in the article. It doesn't absolutely indicate confusion (but not discounting the (likely) possibility)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Hell, even the video starts off calling it the "Wii U" and then goes back to the "Wii".

Sigh. And to think I believed there wouldn't be a problem with the name. Thank goodness they didn't sell the controller on its own.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This is obviously a scheme from Nintendo to cause supply constraints and make the WiiU look like a hot item.

Seriously though, Nintendo has done very poorly with differing the WiiU from Wii in consumer's eyes. BGamer and I debated on whether or not Nintendo would correct this confusion going froward in the Jimmy Fallon add-on thread, looks like BGamer was correct in assuming Nintendo wouldn't.

If a bunch of 360's were stolen, I could see simply "Xbox consoles" being used in the article. It doesn't absolutely indicate confusion (but not discounting the (likely) possibility)
That actually happened, but the Sun is on another level of dipshit than ABC I think. They literally Google image search, and post. This writer saw the WiiU gamepad and thought it was a portable. It's clearly the WiiU that was stolen 'cause why would Nintendo be flying those things?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/72301/.html

Xav

That's one way to get them off the shelves

e1JtB.gif

Police in SeaTac, Wash., are asking for help in tracking down thieves who they say stole $2 million worth of Nintendo Wii gaming consoles (Hotlink goes to Wii website).

The thieves managed to get away with 7,000 portable Wii gaming consoles after raiding a warehouse at SeaTac’s Seattle Air Cargo.

Nintendo Wii gaming consoles retail for about $300. Check out our Wii U review here (Hotlink goes to Wii U review).

This kind of ignorance is downright painful.

Tagg9

Joke's on them. Unless they want to use eBay and sell them for below retail, they'll have a hard time getting rid of them. (Also, to maximize profits they should probably ship them out by just plastering postage on the Wii U box)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Yeah, but here there is a picture of a Wii and a link to Nintendo's site for the original Wii, followed by a $300 price tag and a link to the Wii U.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Joke's on them. Unless they want to use eBay and sell them for below retail, they'll have a hard time getting rid of them. (Also, to maximize profits they should probably ship them out by just plastering postage on the Wii U box)

Joke doesn't work because they paid 0 for them.

Top Bottom