• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF:The Evil Within 2 PS4/PS4 Pro Analysis

Gator86

I wonder if there's a reason Bethesda doesn't give a shit about Pro support. Do pubs/devs have data on the platform at the level they can tell whether people are using Pros? Maybe internal numbers from surveys or something?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Come on, 1080/30 is the absolute bare minimum for a game in late 2017. This is not a great accomplishment and I'm disappointed the game didn't ship with a pro patch.

While I agree, let's be honest, most games can't even hit 1080P and a locked 30FPS for an entire game (excluding cut scenes as im merely talking about gameplay) and when games get a higher resolution and/or HDR, the frame rate always suffers. In an era of 4K/HDR, we still haven't seen most games run at 1080P/60FPS locked on a permanent basis and 30FPS locked at times is a problem.

Way too much emphasis on visuals, graphics and resolution when it should be on performance and CPU AI. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE HDR but the resolution and effects don't mean much to me. If I had to choose, I would choose 1080P/30FPS locked and HDR without compromise every time. If the resolution can be increased without it affecting FPS, great but if not, I prefer FPS.

For me, its all about performance because if a game runs/plays like crap, it's not going to matter what the resolution, graphics and visuals are simply because chances are, I'll stop playing the game and quit it until it's patched (which is unacceptable at launch) or I'll simply quit it completely.

Outside of Horizon (and first party games since its a given), im not a fan of mid-gen consoles. I truly believe that the 1080P/30FPS locked for an entire game should have been perfected and mastered this generation with 4K/HDR/60FPS locked for an entire game being saved for PlayStation 5/Xbox 4.

Of course, this is just my own personal opinion.

Astral Dog

While I agree, let's be honest, most games can't even hit 1080P and a locked 30FPS for an entire game (excluding cut scenes as im merely talking about gameplay) and when games get a higher resolution and/or HDR, the frame rate always suffers. In an era of 4K/HDR, we still haven't seen most games run at 1080P/60FPS locked on a permanent basis and 30FPS locked at times is a problem.

Way too much emphasis on visuals, graphics and resolution when it should be on performance and CPU AI. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE HDR but the resolution and effects don't mean much to me. If I had to choose, I would choose 1080P/30FPS locked and HDR without compromise every time. If the resolution can be increased without it affecting FPS, great but if not, I prefer FPS.

For me, its all about performance because if a game runs/plays like crap, it's not going to matter what the resolution, graphics and visuals are simply because chances are, I'll stop playing the game and quit it until it's patched (which is unacceptable at launch) or I'll simply quit it completely.

Outside of Horizon (and first party games since its a given), im not a fan of mid-gen consoles. I truly believe that the 1080P/30FPS locked for an entire game should have been perfected and mastered this generation with 4K/HDR/60FPS locked for an entire game being saved for PlayStation 5/Xbox 4.

Of course, this is just my own personal opinion.
Yeah Switch and ONE would be waaay below his standards if that were the case

mileS

Dishonored 2 had no downsampling (which is like 0 work if the game already supports a higher res)
Prey had nothing at launch
The Evil Within 2 has nothing?

3 games I would have purchased day 1. Time to catch up. It's also time for Sony to stop slacking and force support.

The game looks really good. Great improvement from the first. Too bad it will be a play and trade. I can't wait on a pro patch as there are just too many games coming soon.

kc44135

Dishonored 2 had no downsampling (which is like 0 work if the game already supports a higher res)
Prey had nothing at launch
The Evil Within 2 has nothing?

3 games I would have purchased day 1. Time to catch up. It's also time for Sony to stop slacking and force support.

SilentRob

Come on, 1080/30 is the absolute bare minimum for a game in late 2017. This is not a great accomplishment and I'm disappointed the game didn't ship with a pro patch.

Only if you think that 1080p is a be all end all and worth the sacrifice of various effects and technical improvements if you instead went for a marginally lower res of something like 900p. Resolution isn't the only or most important thing deciding how good a game looks. This absolute statements are silly if you actually care for what developers are doing to make their games look as good as they can.Technically pretty much every game could run in 1080p, even on an original Xbox One! You'd just have to make big sacrifices in many other areas, making the trade-off absolutely worthless.

I'll wait around for the Pro patch before purchasing, would have been a day 1 thing, but I'll never forget when Prey added Pro support right after I finished the game, it was kind of annoying. Game looks good though. If they came out and said that there will be no Pro patch I would actually buy it now, as I don't think it's worth missing out on games because of no Pro Support.

kc44135

I'll wait around for the Pro patch before purchasing, would have been a day 1 thing, but I'll never forget when Prey added Pro support right after I finished the game, it was kind of annoying. Game looks good though. If they came out and said that there will be no Pro patch I would actually buy it now, as I don't think it's worth missing out on games because of no Pro Support.

Heh, yeah, something similar happened to me. I bought a PRO and CDPR said they weren't ever going to give Witcher 3 PRO support, so I went ahead and put 200+ hours into it... Now it has PRO support. T-T

Gurish

No Pro support is a disgrace even though I don't own the system, shame on Sony and Bethesda.

It's cool that the game is such a huge step up technically over the first one, both visually and performance wise. Dropping last gen and improving the engine made a big difference it seems.

AmyS

No PS4 Pro support? That sucks.

I'll wait to see if it happens later and/or if Xbox One X Enhanced version does anything special.

cakely

Game looks really good. No pro support is a bummer but it looks like it performs miles better than the first Evil Within.

No Pro support?
685751.jpg

Rival

Gold Member
What I’ve heard about the PC port and now this with no pro support has made it way easier to hold off on this one.

Tyaren

If a game doesn't support my console (the PS4 Pro), I won't support that game. A shame, a Youtube playthrough had me pretty interested. :/

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm not aware of any such promises.

This is from the Matthies interview I posted via GameSpot the other day, when asked about PS4 Pro and X1X support:

Jens sounds quite uncertain and vague here. It could simply be implying a boost mode scenario in which the dynamic resolution targets are met more often than on base hardware.

This is where I got that from, granted there doesn't seem to be a direct quote and it's citing the same GS interview:

http://wccftech.com/wolfenstein-ii-uncapped-pc-framerate/

That and previous knowledge that it will support "rapid packed math" which AMD Vega GPUs and PS4 Pro support.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Seems unacceptable to me. Weird wording from John though, to imply its "common" for new games to have no Pro support at all.

I can only think of Prey, but it was eventually patched (albeit minimally) to support Pro.

Interesting reaction to this. It of course sucks for PS4 Pro users but that's kind of on Sony for marketing the box in a specific way, chiefly that every game will see benefits. This two-tier system has real issues and I can understand devs not putting resources into if if they don't have to.

g11

Yep.

I'm pretty disappointed in the developers. This is just unacceptable and a spit in the face of Pro owners.

Yes, the dozens and dozens of us.

But seriously, I'm hoping One X joining the market makes devs take more notice of these refresh consoles.

KyleCross

People still think Pro support is mandatory? We knew it wasn't before the Pro even came out. You do realize quite a lot of PS4 games released without Pro support, right? It's not just a Bethesda thing.

Also this quite possibly won't be a Prey situation. The Prey PS4 case said it had Pro support (but it didn't on release) while TEW2's case doesn't.

leng jai

People still think Pro support is mandatory? We knew it wasn't before the Pro even came out. You do realize quite a lot of PS4 games released without Pro support, right? It's not just a Bethesda thing.

Also this quite possibly won't be a Prey situation. The Prey PS4 case said it had Pro support (but it didn't on release) while TEW2's case doesn't.

List out all the games which don't have any Pro support at all.

Vuci

Why does this company just suck at optimizing their Playstation releases? Thank god for the PC version.

Why are you defending their decisions?
And please let us know which big non-indie releases have released recently without Pro support.

Is this the first biggish game with no Pro support at all post Pro launch? Not counting late localizations like Persona 5.

What is the first Bethesda game without it mentioned in the OP? I don't remember that.

edit: nevermind, Prey mentioned later in the thread, support later patched in. Weird.

Top Bottom