• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what IPs can nintendo still use to breathe life into the 3DS in 2018?

yuoke

Banned
I mean mainline pokemon is going on the switch next year, that is the absolute end of the line for the 3ds written in stone. Samus Returns, superstar saga dx, and pokemon are the swan song. There might be a few last couple things, but 2018 is the true transition to the switch. Anyone that says otherwise is in denial. Animal crossing will be purely for the switch.

I am continually baffled at the 3DS fans that seem determined to spite Switch owners and seem to want it to fail in favor of their ailing system. The 3DS was bad hardware when it was released! Why wouldn't you want your games to be played on better hardware? Because honestly, it's library is what made the 3DS great in spite of itself.

This is a bit much lol. Where do I fall if I have both a 3ds and a switch, and I want software on both because I enjoy both on their own merits and feel like a unique experience can be obtained on each respectively? I enjoy my 3ds and think it's still a great machine, quite aside from enjoying my switch and think that is great. I guess the fundamental difference in ideology here is different vs better, but this spite stuff, it's a bit much dude.

In terms of IP, whatever really. Give me more Zelda, Mario, Pokemon. Give me new DK, Wario, the Splatoon universe is ripe with potential for something different to a platformer or shooter in the world. A new Kid Icarus.

I want them to remake Wario Land Virtual Boy for 3DS. This would work well for a few reasons:

1. It's a remake, meaning it won't require as many resources as a brand new game.
2. 3DS has many Nintendo franchises covered, but it has yet to have a Wario game.
3. The 3D effect would be a perfect fit.

If there were to be one last game ever made for the 3DS I would be absolutely okay with this being it.

Forward

What I find to be truly amusing, is how everyone seems to rather electively forget that Nintendo more than likely already has a new handheld in development, set to exist alongside their hybrid; probably another console as well. The Switch might be a third pillar, or it might be a stop-gap, but regardless, it is definitely an interesting experiment. God bless Nintendo - they continue to willfully take hits for the advancement of the hobby. Were that most fans were worthy.

Feffe

People need to understand that developing for 3DS is cheap and you are aiming to a bigger audience.
It's not that Hey! Pikmin and Metroid could have been Switch titles. You need 10 Hey! Pikmin and 10 Metroid to make a Switch title.

Also Nintendo is aiming to the larger Pokémon audience. If just one person who bought a 3DS for Pokémon get interested in Pikmin or Metroid, their plan succeeded.

Neoxon

I mean mainline pokemon is going on the switch next year, that is the absolute end of the line for the 3ds written in stone. Samus Returns, superstar saga dx, and pokemon are the swan song. There might be a few last couple things, but 2018 is the true transition to the switch. Anyone that says otherwise is in denial. Animal crossing will be purely for the switch.
The date says "2018 or Later". And given how TPC/Game Freak typically does year breaks between generations, Holiday 2019 may be more likely for Pokémon Switch.

What I find to be truly amusing, is how everyone seems to rather electively forget that Nintendo more than likely already has a new handheld in development, set to exist alongside their hybrid; probably another console as well. The Switch might be a third pillar, or it might be a stop-gap, but regardless, it is definitely an interesting experiment. God bless Nintendo - they continue to willfully take hits for the advancement of the hobby. Were that most fans were worthy.
The fact that Pokémon is moving to the Switch rather than waiting for the new handheld you're theorizing disproves your theory. Even considering the Switch to simply be a stop-gap is laughable.

The Switch is just as much a 3DS successor as it is a Wii U successor. It'd be best to accept that now.

I don't care anymore but I'll admit upfront I truly dislike the 3DS. The most it will get is more cheap games from Arzest and the like. I perfectly fine as Nintendo's studios are all done with 3DS development anyway. Even not being able to play the Metroid2 remake is not such a big deal given the circumstances.

The Switch wishes it could get that much low quality physical attention from them.

The 3DS is getting all that sweet, sweet love-making from Nintendo, its fans getting tenderly spooned for the foreseeable future.

All the Switch gets is a couple of intense one-night hate fucks, a few chances at sloppy seconds, and its fans are left holding dual vibrators.

Stay mad Switch fans. Stay mad. It is pro wrestlers advertising Morton's levels of comedy at this point.

Where? Nintendo themselves are not developing new titles. I know you are trying to swim against the current of 3DS hate but can you truly say that?

Again aren't you being dishonest to yourself here? You don't really believe people are forgetting these new handheld/consoles, right? Nobody believes they exist and for good reason. Switch is a juggernaut in the sales department. If anything the Switch will get new revisions and forms. If Nintendo has any new hardware in the works for the near future you can expect it's more Switch.

Neoxon

Pfft. More like: "Don't hold your Breath [of the Wild]" for it['s] getting upgraded-ported to the 4DS, anyway. The 4DS will break all walls, all barriers; even those that Switch fans hold over their hearts
.............Are you trolling?

Bulbasaur

Banned
Monster Hunter Stories is the most exciting prospect for me personally in at least 2 years.

I'll probably bite on Metroid but I really can't think of anything else. Actually a Splatoon spinoff would move some units and I couldn't resist

I really want another 2D/top down Zelda game, and I don't really see something like that coming to the Switch. Something like that fits the 3DS well, as shown by A Link Between Worlds.

Monster Hunter Stories is the most exciting prospect for me personally in at least 2 years.

I'll probably bite on Metroid but I really can't think of anything else. Actually a Splatoon spinoff would move some units and I couldn't resist
Did you play the demo? You should if you havent, it's the entire beginning portion of the game and your save transfers over

I own a 3DS.
I don't own a Switch (and probably won't until one-two years from now).
And I still think they should let the 3DS die already and go all in with the Switch.

7 years is a great run. I think if they just curate more of the Nintendo Selects as budget releases that'll be more than enough to see it off into the sunset the device. I'd prefer to see Nintendo double down on their new system and just keep cutting prices for 3DS stuff to introduce owners of the system to games they might not have tried yet. $15-20 a pop for stuff like 3D Land, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Pokemon X&Y, and plenty of others will make the system still a great buy for people holding off on the Switch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'll be beyond happy even if next year is just DQ 11 , DQ 1-3 on the eshop, and the Atlus games. Anything else is gravy.

AzaK

They need to concentrate on breathing life into the Switch. Sure it's selling well, but what games are going to keep it going over a generation. They shot a big load at launch and once those games are consumed, what's next? There's very little of substance coming and not everyone will like all of those games.

The 3DS needs to be left to die so Nintendo and other developers can concentrate on getting all those great games to the Switch.

ramparter

Banned
Outsource two remakes, Links Awakening with LBW engine and Super Mario Land. A Mario Party. GBA games on store. Fund Great Ace Attorney localization. Maybe a Pokemon spinoff like Mystery dungeon. And they are done.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They need to concentrate on breathing life into the Switch. Sure it's selling well, but what games are going to keep it going over a generation. They shot a big load at launch and once those games are consumed, what's next? There's very little of substance coming and not everyone will like all of those games.

The 3DS needs to be left to die so Nintendo and other developers can concentrate on getting all those great games to the Switch.

If you look at who is developing what at Nintendo and their partners right now you'll see that it is all the smaller teams/outsource houses working on the 3DS games and the major teams and partners are making the Switch titles.

kc44135

I own a 3DS.
I don't own a Switch (and probably won't until one-two years from now).
And I still think they should let the 3DS die already and go all in with the Switch.

Thx, guys. Somebody needed to say it. 3DS had a good run, but it's a very dated/limited device by current standards (frankly, it was outdated on the day of it's release). It's time to move on, and it's time for Nintendo to go all in on what will be their only platform going forward. If only that could've happened before Nintendo decided to bring back one of my favorite franchises this year, and shackle it to obsolete hardware... :(

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Is the Detective Pikachu movie still due for 2018? If so I guess they'll finally be localizing the game and releasing it next year.

I hope nobody wastes any ideas on the 3DS. In fact I always hated it when games were developed on 3DS instead of the Wii U. We could've had real Luigi's Mansion and Mario Golf sequels.

Oberon

Banned
Kid Icarus 2

Please god no

I hope nobody wastes any ideas on the 3DS. In fact I always hated it when games were developed on 3DS instead of the Wii U. We could've had real Luigi's Mansion and Mario Golf sequels.

But them being on the 3ds ment they would sell better and the franchise not dying.
Also, what do you mean by "real" ones

The next couple years are going to be rough for you, I think.

I really like the idea of a Virtual Boy collection. It's a shame that hasn't been done, especially since 3DS is probably the last 3D console, at least for a while.

Maybe a standalone Puzzle League Game.
giphy.gif

Icekeep9

New Advance Wars
New Donkey Kong Country game
New Luigi's mansion 2 game
New Mario and Luigi RPG game

I think most would agree that these games might be wasted on the 3DS and just go to the Switch instead. All 4 of these games could be played on the Switch and don't need the touch screen. If any of these games dropped on the 3ds, I believe some of the owners of the 3ds would buy them.

It will be interesting to see how New 2Ds sells. If it sells decent, why retire the 3ds and 2ds lines? If it starts tanking hard due to Switch and mobile, why not release a successor that is a true portable (something that can fit in your pocket and have a battery life over 3 hours?) Or is that market dead and given to cell phones and tablets?

Nintendo needs to sell a lifetime of 60-80 million Nintendo switches to have one line of consoles to make up for: (3ds, Wii U), (DS, Wii), (Gamecube, Game boy Advance) and Etc..

is a 299 console/portable enticing to people who only bought the 3DS, DS, Game Boy Advance? Also, the games are/were 20-40 dollars too.

Nintendo has given no notion that there will be a true successor to the 3DS and has spoken that the Switch really is the only successor to the Wii U and 3ds family. The 3ds last year still gave them decent profit while the Wii U was a sinking ship.

-Horizon-

Nintendo wants it to happen. It doesn't mean it has to happen. They gotta let it go. 2018 going into 2019 with the thing still being supported is nuts.
They should be moving development over to switch full time. That's the console that has a longer future.

Top Bottom