• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle Review Thread

I liked it a lot, but I thought it wasn't as good as the first. It felt like it suffered from a more mild case of sequelitis (not as bad as Kick-Ass 2 or Anchorman 2) so it was still a good movie, despite not standing up to the first.

I really loved the comedy and the
Elton John fight scene
and the final fight was pretty awesome. There were a lot of great moments (
Merlin's death was a tearjerker, even if it came out of nowhere. It still works. Mark Strong and the music fucking sold it
) and some great attacks on
the Drug War
like the first one did for philanthropists and world leaders. Pedro Pascal and Egerton were the stand-outs.

I also really liked how Eggsy and
Princess Tilde were dating, and ended up getting married.
It was a fun subversion of
the Bond girl disappearing at the end of every James Bond movie

Also,
they killed the goddamn dog. I hope the sequel reveals that JB, Roxy, and maybe Merlin but definitely the first two, survived and they come back.

Another fun fact. This is the second movie this year starring Channing Tatum where "Country Roads, Take Me Home" factors into the plot. The first is Logan Lucky.

I think people saw a different movie than me.

This new Kingsman ramps up the action of the first movie in the best way. The story is cartoonish and nuts and felt like it was aping Roger Moore's silly Bond moreso than the original's Connery vibe.

In the end I think I love this movie just as much as the first. It was just so weird and entertaining.

Also the
Elton John version of the anal joke from Kingsman 1
was so good.

So there's not a single black person among the US' version fo the Kingsmen uh?

There's Halle Barry for one (and you really only see 4 Statesmen up close). I may be wrong, since they were only there for a split second and were computerized, but I think one of the other members sitting at the table at the end was black.

Carnby

How do you know they were spot on if you haven't seen the movie?

Bad choice of words? Fixed it.

I'm not going to defend DT's review as if it were my own. I simply watched the review, and agreed with their complaints that were backed up with footage and explanations. Agreed enough to skip this movie.

HiiiLife

This was nowhere near as disappointing as the reviews would lead me to believe. Not as good as part 1, but enjoyable as hell. Just wish Channing had a bigger role. Loved his intro.

Can't help but feel that
elton John joke went over my audiences head.

Part of me wishes
harry stayed dead and whiskey becomes eggsys partner. Also. Roxy coming back for part 3 seems to be an obvious choice.

This was pretty much the most fun I've had at the theater since Scott Pilgrim. It was a fun blast and hit a lot of great notes for me.

kirblar

I think people saw a different movie than me.

This new Kingsman ramps up the action of the first movie in the best way. The story is cartoonish and nuts and felt like it was aping Roger Moore's silly Bond moreso than the original's Connery vibe.

In the end I think I love this movie just as much as the first. It was just so weird and entertaining.

Also the
Elton John version of the anal joke from Kingsman 1
was so good.
Yeah I liked it and was glad someone mentioned the Moore films before I saw it, because it makes so much more sense in that context.

TheRed

This movie was really enjoyable. A few extra questionable but overall tons of fun. May not be as solid as the original which I thought was almost perfect but it's close enough. I look forward to another one.

Bebpo

Banned
Good movie. Step down from the first one, but if you liked the first one it's like a half-star lower so it's still a good time. I was worried with the RT that this would be a safe boring movie, but this still felt pretty wild and ambitious, just messy and needed another 6-12 months in the oven. And yeah, Pascal was the best actor/actress in there outside Mark Strong whose always amazing.

Seen some crazy ass reviews out there though. Feels like some people have it in for this movie:

A review calling a lightsaber lasso unoriginal because wonder woman did it first

That review talking about how the first movie pokes fun at Obama but this movie doesn't poke fun at trump...despite having the clearly-trump president be evil, get impeached and handcuffed on screen.

Reviews going on and on about the excessive violence and lack of real human stakes. Why don't the Marvel movies get this? Kingsman is a comic book movie, it has similar comic book flaws, but because it doesn't have superheros it doesn't get a pass for being a ridiculous cartoon?

Otoh, some reasonable reviews too, like this: http://www.reelviews.net/reelviews/kingsman-the-golden-circle that give it about a half-star lower than the first and point out this one's pros and cons.

Never go full Millar.

He should know better by now.

Nah, he didn't go full Millar. This film isn't anywhere near as mean spirited or fucked up edgy as Millar. There are a couple questionable/cringe bits, but mostly it's still very fun comic book Vaughn from Kick-Ass/Kingsman/First Class.

I think my favorite part was how nearly everything in the film comes back/has a payoff

I liked this. I feel like most movies don't do this much because they figure no one remembers all the little details from the original years ago, but a lot of the jokes/moments had better payoffs than they should have because of it.

Das Ace

Felt like they retread every beat from the first movie which inherently gave the movie less ompf

Still good, but not as clever as the first one

Way too campy and over the top. The original was in every way a better movie than the sequel. Also did yall notice Henry Jackman literally used his very own score from Xmen First Class Magneto turning the Cerebro dome scene into Kingsman Golden Circle where Taron Egerton is trying to get
Colin Firth's memory
back?

The villain was so cringe and her
robo dogs
were cringeworthy too. Miss Samuel L Jackson's Valentine!

The escalation between Kingsman and Kingsman 2 reminds me a lot of the jump between Saints Row 2 and Saints Row The Third, and I think the change worked far better for Saints Row than it did here.

I don't put the first one on such a high pedestal. It was something fresh and unique with interestingly shot action scenes but that was it.

Watched this one, and had a lot of fun too. I think they did a great job showing us new and cool things. Had to stop myself questioning some of the over the top things during the movie, but I think because I enjoyed that they had so much continuity with the first movie in terms of characters, I was willing to overlook that.

Lol, I had no idea
the girlfriend was the princess from the first movie until she mentioned 'reward'. I really liked how they 'tied up' Eggsy's relationship subplot even though they didn't really need to.

Bleepey

A part of me finds it weird that they associate country roads with Kentucky. I get W. Virginia is next door but it bugs me more than it should.,

Cuburt

Nah, he didn't go full Millar. This film isn't anywhere near as mean spirited or fucked up edgy as Millar. There are a couple questionable/cringe bits, but mostly it's still very fun comic book Vaughn from Kick-Ass/Kingsman/First Class.
You're right. Just got back from seeing it. It was less mean spirited and edgy than the first film. The reviews definitely made me expect things to be executed differently just based on mean spirited and edgy stuff in the first film, or other Millar films/comics, but overall the flaws in this film I wouldn't attribute to those qualities.

If anything, it almost felt like it needed a bit more of that edge back just to give it something that it felt like it was lacking. It felt especially shallow and at the same time long and overpacked with stuff.

Sir Doom

Wow I actually liked it. Maybe because I came to this thread read the impressions and had low expectations

I liked the action especially the camera panning (sure it was over played) but I'm surprised I'm not sick like Jason Bourn fight scenes

People asking why Julian Moore (stuck in jungle)
has thousands of drone. The movie set it up right away how surreal it is already. There's a dinner and donut shop in a middle of a jungle, and Robo Dogs

mackattk

After having slept on it I think it is a little better than I thought of it when I walked out of the theater last night. It still has its issues, but
I think it would have been better without all the Elton John stuff. It was ok the first time we saw him but that should have been just about it. The Elton John fighting scene reminded me of Happy Gilmore with Bob Barker. Yeah, it worked in Happy Gilmore because it was a dumb 90's Adam Sandler comedy.

DeSo

Banned
So there's not a single black person among the US' version fo the Kingsmen uh?
Get a fucking life.

Anyway this shit was worse than the first one which was overrated as fuck. But people will fucking jizz all over it just like the first one.

Alienfan

The film definitely tries something different, it succeeds more in the first half than the second half. Some dodgy cgi, but the fight scenes remain world class (still have no idea how they do it). I think the jokes rely a little too much on *swearing is funny!*,
the Elton John bits are fun though
. Overall, a fine film, a little long and definitely worse than the first. 7/10

Monocle

Liked it a lot, but it's not nearly as good as the first film.
This is just about where I'm at. Perfectly serviceable sequel. Doesn't make any egregious wrong turns or anything. It retains a lot of the charm and style of the first one.

Could have been better, and could have been much worse.

Get a fucking life.

Anyway this shit was worse than the first one which was overrated as fuck. But people will fucking jizz all over it just like the first one.
Your daily reminder that not liking a critically acclaimed and widely enjoyed movie doesn't make the movie overrated, it makes you part of the minority who didn't care for it.

Monocle

for those that have seen it.....is there a scene like the church scene with harry in part 1....that shit was mad
There are a couple scenes where the action reaches the same frantic pitch, yeah. There are some crazy dynamic fights. But the church scene has novelty going for it. Plus the whole premise of the scene is pretty hard to beat with your standard hero(es) vs villain(s) brawl.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I was wondering how this ballooned to 2 hours and 30 minutes, and how there possibly could've been a cut that was 3 hours and 40 minutes. Then I looked at the producer & writer credits and it all clicked. There was nobody saying "No."

At least they didn't try to split this into 2 films. Given how critics and fans are kinda ho-hum on this, I don't think a Part 2 would've gone over well.

vaderise

Just saw it. Here are my thoughts:
- It wasn't as unique or smart as the first one but i still enjoyed it a lot.
- Pedro Pascal was amazing and all of the returning cast was still very solid. Yet one thing that bothered me was Harry, his character was just kinda there in this one.
-They really should've used Channing Tatum more. Like, much more. Guy is fantastic in these kind of roles.
- Even though action and fight choreography was superb , i can't say there was any mind blowimg moment like the church scene from the first one.

Overall, enjoyed it . But definetely not as much as the first one. I liked the fact that they touched drug war topic and Elton John parts were hillarious.

7/10

Timeaisis

I thought it was ok.

It was way, way, way too long. Like there are bits in the middle where I felt like "why is this in the movie"? (the entire
music festival sequence
, for example). The action was fun, but far between. This needed to be an hour and a half movie instead of a two and a half hour one.

The story makes no sense. Obviously, that's not why I'm at this movie, so it didn't really bother me that much. But the fact that they spend so much time on story that is nonsensical...well, you get the picture.

Characters were alright, but many were underutilized. Felt like they had a stacked cast to have a stacked cast. Thought the humor was decent, albeit hit or miss. I saw it for free so my enjoyment of it may be tempered, because, at the end of the day, I still found it entertaining.

This had a few enjoyable moments but overall it was overwhelmingly mediocre. The plot felt like they were trying way too hard but also didn’t try hard enough. The Statesmen were pretty much all wasted. At least Julianne Moore was fun.

Top Bottom