• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro:LL supports SSAA, DX11 faster, tesselation modes: certain objects or everything

Machine translation of: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Metro...-Light-Interview-Systemanforderungen-1066195/

Regarding AA:

Oles Shishkovtsov: We conducted our AAA along with FXAA to achieve more control per pixel in order to adjust the blur and sharpness better. There is now no way to disable AAA, this is due to the low implementation in the rendering pipeline. The side effect is, of course, that the image is always smoothed to a certain degree. The usual problem of AAA remains, however, a lack of sub-pixel information to shader fragment or small pixel capture.

The solution is to give the player the option to hand to activate certain SSAA modes. You'd be surprised how little additional information is necessary in order to achieve the quality of 4x MSAA or to offer! Basically provides 2x SSAA (1.41421 x 1.41421 per axis) together with FXAA, which is applied in the supersampling resolution to hit enough information to 4x MSAA in all respects, even in terms of performance - with a deferred renderer . On top of the sub-pixel aliasing is greatly reduced with shaders.

For those who are interested: An Ordered or rotated grid is great for all vertices which occur in the pixel grid when the box filter is used. If you use something more sophisticated as we (FXAA), then the filter is no longer able to cover the grid in the correct orientation - which means a substantial loss of quality. Although a slight rotation of the image from a qualitative point of view is very good, it takes a lot of power and storage space. So be it, traditional MSAA is dead - Edge smoothing is the responsibility of the programmer and not a magical hardware feature.

Regarding PhysX on CPU:

Oles Shishkovtsov: Absolutely, but an extremely fast CPU is needed to catch up with GPUs. Some things are obscenely well parallelized and thus it is difficult to achieve the performance of a 2.0 TF graphics card with a 0.1 TF processor.

Regarding Tessellation:

Oles Shishkovtsov: In short, everything. The long answer is, there are two selectable modes: one tessellated only by our artists selected objects and the other almost everything. The power loss is around 15 percent, respectively three, mind depending on the GPU architecture.

Regarding DX11:

Oles Shishkovtsov: No, we do not deal with it. Why you should play with DX9, DX11 when the same quality is 10 to 15 percent faster? DX9 is contained in Last Light for compatibility reasons only.

Oles Shishkovtsov: Apart from tessellation and parallax occlusion mapping corresponds to the DX11 path largely the DX10 version as we achieve more than 95 percent of the PCs in our target group. Purely from the performance point of DX11 is the fastest, followed by DX10 and DX9 [Anm.dR: without tessellation and POM].

I think we played a great job, especially in scalability. For example, Metro Last Light is running in DX11 mode on an Intel HD Graphics 4000 is passable - with small details of course - and even Haswell pretty good. Nevertheless, we force with high 4x super-sampling anti-aliasing and very high details and a Geforce GTX 680 or Radeon HD7970 in the knee.

Metro running on an HD4000? Now I have seen everything.

Well, the original already ran "ok".

Intel HD 4000 i5 3570k Metro 2033: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBszC0h2d0Y

Running at 1280x720 with bandicam at 25 fps
Without recording 1280x720 35 fps

I will buy a Nvidia gtx 660 but till then the Integrated Graphics HD 4000 Work like a charm, and i decided to make some vids showing the performance of this bad boy. I will upload other vids soon, with more games , stay tuned!

45855.png

Nevertheless, we force with high 4x super-sampling anti-aliasing and very high details and a Geforce GTX 680 or Radeon HD7970 in the knee.

I used to use FXAA like you, but then my GPU took SSAA in the knee.

...sorry I couldn't resist

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good, it seems like this will be much better optimized while looking better. Something of which should excite anyone who has played the PC version of 2033.

Hypron

I'm wondering how the game is going to run on my hd6770... If it runs on an HD4000 it'll run on my rig for sure, but I wonder how well.

Is there going to be a benchmark or demo of any kind? I know I'm getting the game and will be able to play on max settings as I have a 4GB GTX670 but I'm wondering how consistent the framerate will be and what AA settings will be reasonable.

There are some benchmarks and details about the graphics options here: *link removed*

but I am not sure if those are scans. So I decided to not start a new thread and if someone points out they are scans, I'll remove the link entirely.

Here's a translation of just a part of those images from that forum:

-left upper corner: Tessellation increases the polygoncount of the NPCs so that sharp edged sections (marked ones) are shown smoother. If you want to save resources (FPS improvement up to 15%) you should disable this rarely noticeable feature

-right upper corner: the physic-effects in Metro Last Light are very realistic because of tighter smoke and more debris. The disadvantage is that the overall power will drop - in our version about 50% (look at benchmark)

-the rest of the picture:
;left upper corner (grade of detail: very high):
the maximum grade of detail contains nice optics. SSAO give the niches of the shelf shadows. All shadows and textures feature the hightest resolution and are filtered. In addition there are Soft Particle(gas lamp) and realistic lightning (bulb).

;right upper corner (grade of detail: high):
analytical AA is missing, the resolution of the filtered shadows is decreased, the grade of geometry is reduced slightly and the overall look is simplified. However it still looks better than the console version.

;left lower corner (grade of detail: normal):
the system of SSAO has a low quality now, tricks like Soft Paticles (gas lamp) and Skin Shading(face) or Paralax Mapping (see the [i dont know the exact word for the holes in the bucket]) are missing. The display of shadow and the textures´ resolution are looking acceptable.

;right lower corner (grade of detail: low):
this is how the graphics in consoles can look like. DX11-effects like smooth edges on shadows, Soft Particles,subsurface scattering on the display of faces or Paralax-Mapping are missing. The textures are not shown in a high resoultion (Table) and the grade of geometry is reduced heavily.

Not digging that traditional MSAA is dead comment, nope not digging that at all. I really don't like pp aa of any kind.

Or at least a way to disable it so we can downscale.

I can assume that the extremely heavy toll of PhysX on the system in the preview was due to some sort of Graphics driver problem. I highly doubt it will cut of 50% of performance at release time.

Typically happens with every game that has physX at release. It runs poorly at first..but then Nvidia updates the driver and it runs nigh flawlessly.

I wonder how this scene will look like on consoles. I'm pretty sure all the physics in that cloth won't be in there. Might look like a piece of cardboard being thrown off.

It doesn't have to be physics based anyhow, it's a scriped cutscene, so it can just be animated I think.

cripterion

I can assume that the extremely heavy toll of PhysX on the system in the preview was due to some sort of Graphics driver problem. I highly doubt it will cut of 50% of performance at release time.

Typically happens with every game that has physX at release. It runs poorly at first..but then Nvidia updates the driver and it runs nigh flawlessly.

Except for Planetside 2 where it still basically crashes your game lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There are some benchmarks and details about the graphics options here:

but I am not sure if those are scans. So I decided to not start a new thread and if someone points out they are scans, I'll remove the link entirely.

Here's a translation of just a part of those images from that forum:

That's definitely a "scan" from the digital edition of the magazine.

EDIT : oops wrong thread

To stay on topic : Hopefully it runs flawlessly on SLI configs from day one.

The first game did. I would expect even better performance on average for some scenes.

Does anyone else find the idea of full world tesselation just awesome?
EVERYTHING WILL BE AMAZING LOOKING.

Instro

So presumably this is expected to be the next benchmark in PC visuals right? Or will that still hang with Crysis 3?

cripterion

The first game did. I would expect even better performance on average for some scenes.

Does anyone else find the idea of full world tesselation just awesome?
EVERYTHING WILL BE AMAZING LOOKING.

Oh, I should revisit it again. I ran it on a single GTX670 and it was pretty good, got some FPS drops on certains scenes but nothing too drastic.

But yeah, high expectations for this seeing as it's an upcoming Nvidia flagship title. Hope they fixed the creepy look from NPC's and that the game is ok length-wise. Wouldn't mind some back-tracking or more open ended levels.

Deadbeat

Banned
I wonder how this scene will look like on consoles. I'm pretty sure all the physics in that cloth won't be in there. Might look like a piece of cardboard being thrown off.
Its identical on the 360 version. The game is basically a console port with some bells and whistles.
^This post worries me a bit since I'm buying a decent gaming rig for the upcoming next gen games like metro, bf4 and so on
The games are being made around 360/ps3 limitations. What are you worrying about? Its when theres no cross platform development it will be different.

Xyber

^This post worries me a bit since I'm buying a decent gaming rig for the upcoming next gen games like metro, bf4 and so on

Is it still a good idea to buy a EVGA gtx 670 ftw sig. edition?

It's a good card, but Nvidia is going to release an updated version of it very soon (770). I suggest that you wait some more.

Top Bottom