• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uh, apparently "they" are bringing "Black Isle" back...

Kem0sabe

I hate what they be doing with the EE, the price point, the DLC concept. If those guys suddenly turn into Black Isle and try their hand at BG3... i dread to imagine it.

Trigger

Seems like Trent Oster is hinting about his involvment.

https://twitter.com/TrentOster

AO0yP.gif

Taruranto

Patryn

I didn't have a problem with Beamdog's Baldur Gate updates, but I think this is really in poor taste. Make you own name.

As it is, anyone who would actually care about the name will know that it's not really Black Isle, so I'm not sure what this supposed to accomplish.

Trigger

I didn't have a problem with Beamdog's Baldur Gate updates, but I think this is really in poor taste. Make you own name.

As it is, anyone who would actually care about the name will know that it's not really Black Isle, so I'm not sure what this supposed to accomplish.

My thoughts exactly. Better to start something new with a new name.

m360

I just want to believe ... but i can't. 'cause all the talent of the original black isle is spread all over the world: Inxile, Bioware, Obsidian and so on.

So, first they make DLC for Baldur's Gate II.
Then they say they want to make Baldur's Gate III AND Planescape Torment 2.
And now they take Black Isle's name?

Have they got no shame?

What do they have to be ashamed of?

They want to make two games, some DLC, and name their company.

Is it 'eh'? Sure. But shame has nothing to do with it.

Herla

What do they have to be ashamed of?

They want to make two games, some DLC, and name their company.

Is it 'eh'? Sure. But shame has nothing to do with it.

Assuming this is all true, they are using another company's name, success and fanbase to gain popularity and, consequently, making money.
"Our goal has always been"
"Black Isle Studios is back"
Who is saying that? Not Black Isle, that's for sure. And this is lying and dishonesty.

It's like if EA renamed, I dunno, Bioware Mythic "Origin Systems". That's just offensive and in poor taste.

Although none of the people you'd want seem to be involved in this, I'm still curious about the game these people are going to make. I'd forgive them for using the name if this group of nobodies is gonna work on an actual RPG with actual depth to it.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Although none of the people you'd want seem to be involved in this, I'm still curious about the game these people are going to make. I'd forgive them for using the name if this group of nobodies is gonna work on an actual RPG with actual depth to it.

It's Interplay. They will promise a game. It will never happen.

Ever.

duckroll

I'm not curious at all about false advertising though. No one should be. Dishonesty is a poor first step in gaining any sort of trust and support from consumers. Liars be damned.

Assuming this is all true, they are using another company's name, success and fanbase to gain popularity and, consequently, making money.
"Our goal has always been"
"Black Isle Studios is back"
Who is saying that? Not Black Isle, that's for sure. And this is lying and dishonesty.

It's like if EA renamed, I dunno, Bioware Mythic "Origin Systems". That's just offensive and in poor taste.

Interplay is the one behind this, right? Black Isle used to be one of their studios. It's a grey area, sure, but nothing that has not been done before.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Where's the kickstarter?

Sibylus

Banned
"Rome is back."

- Quoth half a zillion empires that followed in its wake, including one that killed what was left of it.

EVOL 100%

Yes, this is not a thinly veiled attempt to win the affections of old-school CRPG fans, only to disappoint them horribly. Again.

I'd love to eat crow but I'm not being optimistic.

Right? I can't imagine anyone thinking this is a good idea, let alone a boardroom full of people. The Black Isle name will only resonate with people who also know that this isn't actually Black Isle. Weird decision. The thread title alone made me groan out loud.

bhlaab

Chris Taylor may be involved (The Fallout one not the Dungeon Siege one), I think he still works for Interplay.

Okay, okay, I mean I think he is still employed by Interplay.

bengraven

Hey remember when Atari came back from the grave and we all thought they were going to bring the same innovation they did in the 80s...oh we didn't think that?

Top Bottom