• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

D.Lo

So uh, so I might be moving to the UK soon. Was wondering if I should just bring my Saturn and get a power adapter (though I think I'd need a NTSC TV as well), or just get a PAL Saturn and play my current collection via Action Replay? Not sure how well NTSC games would play on PAL though.
I run an NTSC machine with a PAL power supply in it. Best solution, no step-down.

Any PAL TV you come across with play NTSC perfectly, almost all PAL TVs since the late 90s have.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I run an NTSC machine with a PAL power supply in it. Best solution, no step-down.

Any PAL TV you come across with play NTSC perfectly, almost all PAL TVs since the late 90s have.

Did you just swap the internal psu? I did this on the Dreamcast, but was under the impression that it was harder to do with the Saturn?

I just got X-Men vs Street Fighter...this is a great port and is considered to be the best home version of the game!

I was a big Playstation fan and never even really gave the saturn much of a look until I heard Xmen vs SF was arcade perfect on saturn. I bought a saturn and action replay with 4MB and ordered the game from play asia.

I eventually bought a few more games and enjoyed stuff like Darius Gaiden, Daytona USA, and Ultimate MK3, but it was mostly a Xmen and MSH vs SF machine for me. So impressive at the time.

cj_iwakura

So since I only have two controllers for my Saturn, me and a friend decided to play Alpha 2(great as ever), and then I realized I have Real Bout Fatal Fury so we played that.

Boy is it fun. A friend gave it to me ages ago and I just now remembered. Wonder if it's valuable. (Probably not)

OST is fantastic as well. Very instrumentated.

piggychan

I've been eyeing Kingdom Grand Prix, but the price is really getting up there. Anyone who's played it? Worth it?

I owned it once. Couldn't get into it's strange hybrid gameplay. nice graphics but I wasn't impressed with the audio as most of the tracks sounded like genesis audio but were redbook CD.

So since I only have two controllers for my Saturn, me and a friend decided to play Alpha 2(great as ever), and then I realized I have Real Bout Fatal Fury so we played that.

Boy is it fun. A friend gave it to me ages ago and I just now remembered. Wonder if it's valuable. (Probably not)

OST is fantastic as well. Very instrumentated.

I love Alpha 2! Easily my favorite of the series.

MikeMyers

I like the Alpha 2 OST a lot too, but I think I had more fun with the Darkstalkers games than the Alpha games.

Interesting I'll look into that.

TeaJay

There are some PAL TV's that didn't do NTSC/60 hz, I once had a pretty good 90's Trinitron that only did PAL. I don't know if the question was about CRT's or modern TV's though.

D.Lo

Did you just swap the internal psu? I did this on the Dreamcast, but was under the impression that it was harder to do with the Saturn?
it's exactly as easy as a Dreamcast, basically an identical process. I also run a Japanese DC with a 240V PSU.

Iirc, there's an Asian/HK model - a white one - which is NTSC but comes with a 220v power supply out of the box.
That's actually the model I have had for 20 years ;) But that's exactly what it is, a Japanese model with a 240V power supply.

There are some PAL TV's that didn't do NTSC/60 hz, I once had a pretty good 90's Trinitron that only did PAL. I don't know if the question was about CRT's or modern TV's though.
In my experience once you get to the late 90s most brand-name CRTs handle NTSC natively. And fixed pixel displays basically all do.

I've been eyeing Kingdom Grand Prix, but the price is really getting up there. Anyone who's played it? Worth it?

it's worth it if you want to try something new. there is extra pressure while you shoot because it's actually a racing hybrid game. gotta pay attention because obstacles can kill you too. there is a pure shooting mode, but i haven't tried it yet.

it's worth it if you want to try something new. there is extra pressure while you shoot because it's actually a racing hybrid game. gotta pay attention because obstacles can kill you too. there is a pure shooting mode, but i haven't tried it yet.

The pure shooting mode just makes it even more awesome. The multiple branching paths and two modes offer a ton of replay-ability.

eXistor

Thanks for the replies. Still on the fence though. If it was €50 or so I'd probably jump on it, but it's almost twice that.

I suggest you to wait for a more comprehensive reply from D.Lo, but in the meanwhile... This is how the box should look like (minus the big-ass sticker on the right, I guess). As you can see, it says 'NTSC - once again, if I'm not mistaken, it should be 100% compatible with every single Japanese game available for the system - 220-240v'.
Thanks for the info, I'm finding it hard to ebay it though. Since it's such a special model.

D.Lo

I suggest you to wait for a more comprehensive reply from D.Lo, but in the meanwhile... This is how the box should look like (minus the big-ass sticker on the right, I guess). As you can see, it says 'NTSC - once again, if I'm not mistaken, it should be 100% compatible with every single Japanese game available for the system - 220-240v'.
Mine came in an unfinished cardboard box like this

91qjyqIjVdL._SX522_.jpg

It's also an official HK release with 220-240V printed in the power section.

Serge85

So my phoebe arrived last saturday:

FPIEw8d.jpg

I've been testing it nonstop , and oh boy am I glad, I've tested lots of games and so far 0 issues with it.

The ordering process is .... "complicated", but for me, it was worth the wait.

Shaneus

FPIEw8d.jpg

I've been testing it nonstop , and oh boy am I glad, I've tested lots of games and so far 0 issues with it.

Oh my, that's a sexy looking bit of kit. Can I ask how much it was and how long you had to wait?

I'm still waiting for that Aussie-developed add-on that hooks into the VCD port. But I haven't heard anything since that initial reveal video a number of months ago.

Serge85

Oh my, that's a sexy looking bit of kit. Can I ask how much it was and how long you had to wait?

I'm still waiting for that Aussie-developed add-on that hooks into the VCD port. But I haven't heard anything since that initial reveal video a number of months ago.

I paid 130 EUR shipped.

It took about 8 days from Poland to the States, the seller only sends a paypal invoice when your device is ready to ship.

The hard part is waiting for him to open the preorders (I missed the GDEMU preorder last october, and had to wait 5 months for another chance!),and submitting the request in that small window, for example the last phoebe preorders were open for about one hour and 30 minutes....which is pretty good considering that the last GDEMU preorder window lasted 15 minutes ( I kid you not).

Shaneus

So the guy who is creating that (other) Saturn USB mod thing has a Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/prof_abrasive

Haven't read anything on it yet, though.

I paid 130 EUR shipped.

It took about 8 days from Poland to the States, the seller only sends a paypal invoice when your device is ready to ship.

The hard part is waiting for him to open the preorders (I missed the GDEMU preorder last october, and had to wait 5 months for another chance!),and submitting the request in that small window, for example the last phoebe preorders were open for about one hour and 30 minutes....which is pretty good considering that the last GDEMU preorder window lasted 15 minutes ( I kid you not).
Jesus, that's intense! One way to make sure they're limited.

Galdelico

Mine came in an unfinished cardboard box like this

91qjyqIjVdL._SX522_.jpg

It's also an official HK release with 220-240V printed in the power section.
That's interesting. Mine - which is a Japanese standard white Saturn - came in the same exact box. Makes me wonder if 220/240v first grey Saturn models actually exist too.

KC-Slater

FPIEw8d.jpg

Most of my games work, but I consistently have issues with the following: Nights, Sega Rally (JP), and Elevator Action Returns. I've re-ripped the games dozens of times, and still can't get the first two to work, and the EAR freezes during the load screen after the character selection. Have you had any luck with these? (For what it's worth, I'm using a RHEA with a Model 1)

Going to Japan soon. I'll probably come back with 30 Saturn eroge because they're everywhere, tend to be cheap and probably make for a unique collection. Based on the ones I own already, they are also good sources for language acquisition too.

Going to Japan soon. I'll probably come back with 30 Saturn eroge because they're everywhere, tend to be cheap and probably make for a unique collection. Based on the ones I own already, they are also good sources for language acquisition too.

is that like yakyuten special? i think they played that on broken pixels (1up.com/gamevideos show that was kinda a precursor to let's plays for shitty games).

is that like yakyuten special? i think they played that on broken pixels (1up.com/gamevideos show that was kinda a precursor to let's plays for shitty games).

Yeah, things like that. Last time I picked up a game called "Virtua Photo Studio" because it had Virtua in the title (even though it is clearly not at all related to Sega's Virtua games). It's hilarious. I also want to get a bunch of dating sims since they should have a lot of voice acting and force me to read.

Jaeger

..... would you be able to grab something for me if I send you some cash?

Serge85

Most of my games work, but I consistently have issues with the following: Nights, Sega Rally (JP), and Elevator Action Returns. I've re-ripped the games dozens of times, and still can't get the first two to work, and the EAR freezes during the load screen after the character selection. Have you had any luck with these? (For what it's worth, I'm using a RHEA with a Model 1)

Hello, I've tried sega rally (usa) and EAR, both work without issues.

Nights won't load using fast boot mode (I'm using rhea menu, so far is the only game that I've tried that doesn't work with Fast boot), nevertheless works fine using Full boot.

AmyS

So once again I'm looking around for a Japanese SS.

quick questions because I forget:

* What's a decent Japanese Saturn model to look for, that isn't going to cost an arm & a leg.

* What cartridge product is easily available that contains the extra RAM (4MB or 4+!MB) and allows any region's games.

* what about a component cable, or HDMI for a modern flatscreen HDTV.

AmyS

Are the White Saturn consoles typically good to start out with? I'm seeing a few on ebay in the ~$100 range that include a game.

piggychan

Are the White Saturn consoles typically good to start out with? I'm seeing a few on ebay in the ~$100 range that include a game.

I have 2 white saturns both have lasted years. Personally I think they are great but you will at some stage have to whiten them if yellowing bothers you.

MikeMyers

So I'm playing NiGHTS PS3, and the controls still feel off, even though it was allegedly patched.

That said I did try the Saturn mode and the controls there feel more closer there. So I guess the controls might have been altered for the PS2 version, since the HD version is based on that?

Top Bottom