• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2018 Nominees

18-Volt

This is an open voting again and The Cars have no chance to get in. Fanbases of Radiohead, Depeche Mode and Bon Jovi are much bigger than theirs.

Judas Priest is NOT in the Hall of Fame already?!

Until now, voters were overwhelmingly American and British acts had always been sidelined. Queen had been inducted as late as 2000 and Deep Purple got in just 2 years ago.

Radiohead, The Cars, Dire Straits, and Moody Blues. Keep rap shit out of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.[/B].

Rolling Stone magazine believes that rap is a subgenre of rock and roll, so that's not happening. Kinda ironic though, pioneers of the rap genre, Chic, has been nominated the most times yet couldn't get in.

CTL+F "Deep Purple". Still nothing.

They have already been inducted. In 2015, I believe.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Dream Theater when? Their first album was released 28 years ago!

Yes, I know this will never happen.

And WTF at the rappers on this list? No offense to people who like that, but what the fuck does "rock and roll" even mean if you include that stuff?

Rolling Stone magazine believes that rap is a subgenre of rock and roll, so that's not happening. Kinda ironic though, pioneers of the rap genre, Chic, has been nominated the most times yet couldn't get in.

Fuck that. They're wrong, objectively.

blakep267

Radiohead, The Cars, Dire Straits, and Moody Blues. Keep rap shit out of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Radiohead is probably the most accomplished band on that list. I want more Prog representation in the HoF, so I also want Moody Blues in. Hall of Fame snubs all prog bands except the big sellers (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush). Took them five+ years to induct Yes. Don't even bother to nominate King Crimson, ELP (who are 2/3 dead now) or Camel.

Don't know why My Bloody Valentine isn't in even in. I'm really annoyed with the Hall of Fame's commerical over critical view on bands. And don't get me started on why rap and hip-hop are in a ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME.
Its essentially the music hall of fame now. Get over it

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Bon Jovi since my pop was on tour with them.
Rage against the machine because... well its Rage.
Judas Priest is not in already?

Hip Hop is my first love but LL in the Rock HOF?

Jag

Dream Theater when? Their first album was released 28 years ago!

Yes, I know this will never happen.

And WTF at the rappers on this list? No offense to people who like that, but what the fuck does "rock and roll" even mean if you include that stuff?

Fuck that. They're wrong, objectively.

Rush finally got in after getting snubbed for years. I wouldn't hold my breath for Dream Theater.

Even though I'm not a rap fan, I have no problems with all music genres being added. The music world has changed and will continue to change. They should change the name to the Music Hall of Fame though.

BTails

Radiohead is probably the most accomplished band on that list. I want more Prog representation in the HoF, so I also want Moody Blues in. Hall of Fame snubs all prog bands except the big sellers (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush). Took them five+ years to induct Yes. Don't even bother to nominate King Crimson, ELP (who are 2/3 dead now) or Camel.

Quoted for truth. King Crimson not being in there is a crime.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
How the hell is Bon Jovi not in yet? Also, The Cars, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Judas Priest should get in as well. I have not really heard much from the other nominees.

Judas Priest is my favorite all time band, so yeah, I'm going to pull for them. (I think many will objectively agree how important they've been in metal and are deserving)

on top of that, how in hell are Moody Blues and Dire Straits not in.

I have more hope then I used to as both Rush and Yes have been inducted. Slowly but surely, those who have been overlooked will hopefully get in.

Veon

Neo Member
Bon Jovi
Kate Bush
The Cars
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Eurythmics
J. Geils Band
Judas Priest
LL Cool J
MC5
The Meters
Moody Blues
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Nina Simone
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Link Wray
The Zombies

Radiohead wins, Kate Bush should, The Zombies are great but not for one fantastic pop album.

What's your take?

The names that are in bold are the people that I think should win.

Judas Priest is NOT in the Hall of Fame already?!

Exactly my reaction. I had always assumed they were one of the earliest inductees due to their longevity and their status as one of THE metal bands.

They deserve it 100 times more than Rage Against The Machine, and I friggin' love RATM.

Clockwork5

Judas Priest
The Moody Blues
The Cars

They deserve to be in now.

Bon Jovi
Radiohead
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits

They deserve to be in soon.

Exactly my reaction. I had always assumed they were one of the earliest inductees due to their longevity and their status as one of THE metal bands.

They deserve it 100 times more than Rage Against The Machine, and I friggin' love RATM.

Rage is my favorite band on the list and I agree with you. Judas priest not being in is ridiculous

Decent list. Jovi should definitely be in there.

Looks like Trent Reznor is going to go without after not making the final cut a couple of years ago. Shame because he definitely deserves to be in there, certainly over the majority of people on this list.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is kinda bullshit, but I am just the right age that a lot of these acts were huge in my formative years.

Ones I particularly like

Kate Bush
The Cars
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Eurythmics
Nina Simone

But I don't think Eurythmics is necessarily HoF material, and Nina Simone is awesome but I don't think of her as Rock and Roll at all.

I'm surprised that the Cars weren't already in-- they're old enough and their style of FM-friendly Rock is exactly what I think of when I think of the Hall of Fame.

As the eligibility window moves forward, the label "Rock and Roll" is going to make less and less sense.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I don't even like or listen to Judas Priest but I am flabbergasted they're not already in there.

Having said that, there are many good names on that list but RATM is my all time most favouritest band so I'd love to see them win. Not expecting it though.

Top Bottom