• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) Official Japanese Release Thread

duckroll

6p6wild.jpg

Title: Lost Odyssey
Platform: Xbox360
Genre: RPG
Developer: Mistwalker/Feel Plus
Publisher: Microsoft Games Studio
Japanese Release Date: 6th December 2007
US Release Date: 12th Febuary 2008
Official Site:: http://lostodyssey.jp

Official Blurb

Lost Odyssey™ is the story of Kaim, an immortal character who has lived more than 1,000 years. He doesn't remember his past, and he doesn't know where his future lies. Throughout Kaim's journey, a handful of characters will join him on an odyssey to discover their intricate past and destiny, leading players through a dramatic story of massive scale. Lost Odyssey features breathtaking visuals and an epic adventure made possible only by the power of Xbox 360™.

- Innovative RPG gameplay: Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) elements are blended into the game's traditional role-playing game system, enabling players to make strategic decisions for a more immersive and deep gameplay experience.

- Engaging and unparalleled emotional story: With story sequences penned by award-winning Japanese novelist Kiyoshi Shigematsu in cooperation with producer Hironobu Sakaguchi,Lost Odyssey sets a new benchmark for the RPG genre with a combination of true-to-life cinematics and an intriguing story of an immortal man. Players will witness Kaim's life as he lives through many generations, becomes part of numerous families, falls in and out of love, and confronts all of the conflicts that arise. Kaim’s struggles are set in a world that is on the verge of a "mystical industrial revolution," where mankind has attained dark powers.

- Massive scope: The massively scoped worlds, memorable characters and epic storyline play as an intense and unsettling blockbuster action film. Heading up the artistic demands of the title is famed Japanese comic artist Takehiko Inoue. Renowned composer Nobuo Uematsu has been recruited to create a contemporary soundtrack.

- Realistic next-generation graphics: Powered by Unreal Engine 3 technology, Lost Odyssey boasts stunning visual fidelity and rendering quality. The technology pushes high-definition visual designs to a higher level and brings out the smallest details in the largest battles. Experience a rich dynamic world with an unprecedented level of detail.

img55330567.jpg

Information

Staff:
- Produced, written, designed and supervised by Hironobu Sakaguchi (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger)
- Character designs by Takehiko Inoue (Slam Dunk, Vagabound)
- Music composed by Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantay)
- Directed by Daisuke Fukugawa (FFT, Legend of Mana) and Takeahiro Kaminagayoshi (Legend of Dragoon)
- Art Direction by Takamasa Ohsawa (Shadow Hearts 2, Shadow Hearts From the New World)
- 1000 Year Dream written by Kiyoshi Sigematsu
- CG Cinematics by Robot (Onimusha, Grandia 3)

Gameplay:
- THIS GAME HAS RANDOM ENCOUNTERS, JUST SO YOU KNOW
- The Aiming Ring System adds special properties to your attack if the trigger is timed right during an attack
- The properties are determined by the rings equipped
- Immortals learn skills from mortals using the Skill Link System
- Immortals equipping accessories can learn the skill attached to it by gaining SP in battles
- Immortals that fall in battle will revive automatically after a few turns, if the entire party is defeated the game is over
- The Wall System controls the amount of defence offered to the back row party members
- As the front row is attacked, the Guard Condition meter will drop reducing the effectiveness of the defence offered
- Enemies with front and back rows will also have a Guard Condition meter subject to the same rules
- While a World Map exists, known locations on the map can be easily travelled to via a warp menu to remove unneeded travel
- The cruiser ship vehicle in the game can travel on the sea as well as go under it, exploring the ocean depths

Other Details:
- The game spans 4 DVDs
- The game is about 40 hours long
- Both accessories and weapons are fully visible when equipped
- A novel compiling all the 1000 Year Dream short stories will be published
- The two English vocal songs in the game will be sung by Sheena Easton

Voice Cast:
Kaim Argonar: Etsuji Toyokawa
Jansen Friedh: Kosuke Toyohara
Sarah Sisulart: Takako Uehara
Seth Balmore: Seika Kuze
Ming Numara: Kaoru Otanuki
Cooke: YUKO (FLIPFLAP)
Mack: AIKO (FLIPFLAP)
Sed: Yousuke Akimoto
Tolten: Ryo Horikawa
Gongora: Haruhiko Jyo

Achievements

01. Disc 1 clear - Complete disc 1 - 125 points

02. Disc 2 clear - Complete disc 2 - 125 points

03. Disc 3 clear - Complete disc 3 - 125 points

04. Disc 4 clear - Complete disc 4 - 125 points

05. Learn Skill Link - An immortal learns learns a mortal's skill via skill link - 30 points

06. Learn all skills - Kaim learns all skills available - 20 points

07. First Dream of a Thousand Years - Experience the first Thousand Year Dream sequence - 20 points

08. Thousand Year Dream - Experience all the Thousand Year Dream sequences - 10 points

09. Get all Treasure items - Get all the treasures available on fields. If a treasure has been picked up by someone else, maybe you can find it on auction - 20 points

10. Succesful Perfect 3 Combo - In a battle successfully pull off a Perfect 3 times in a row - 30 points

11. 500 Successful Perfects - Pull off 500 Perfects in battles - 10 points

12. Damage over 1000,000 - In a battle inflict over 1 million damage on an enemy - 10 points

13. Defeat 1000 enemies - Defeat over 1000 enemies in battle - 10 points

14. Around the world - Visit all the fields around the world, including secret locations - 10 points

15. Backyard Lightclass Master - In the backyard, fulfill all the hidden victory conditions for all the battle sets in the Lightclass and gain the battle bonuses - 10 points

Plus 21 secret achievements. Total of 1000 points.

Reviews

Weekly Famitsu: 9/9/9/9 (36/40)
Famitsu Xbox360: 10/8/9/8 (35/40)

Music:

Lost Odyssey Original Soundtrack (2 CDs)
19th Dec 2006
3675 yen

MCD

ethelred said:
Yay! Can't wait! :D

Why oh why did it have to get delayed in the US, though?

Too many good games, LO will easily be ignored...etc...

and MS already have Mass Effect as their RPG this year.

and good job duckroll.

Duke Togo

An RPG using the Unreal 3 engine. Sounds like this game will have a large scope, I look forward to some impressions.

great job duckroll!

the waiiting finally reached its end, heh. sadly we, people in the USA and Europe, still have to wait a little more, but it's near.

Awntawn

Curious, does MS Japan/Asia have a different policy with region-locking games than the NA branch? It's hard to believe that enough people would import a JRPG that's as heavily story-based as the the genre generally is, to the point where it would effect US sales and licensing. In fact the fact that it's MS published should completely remove the licensing issue altogether. If anything, it seems like it would make more sense financially being in MS's shoes to block exporting from the US.

MCD

ethelred said:
I wanted Lost Odyssey more than those other games.

What can i say? i wanted it too but it ain't my decision.

and thanks to Assassin's Creed, i am happy for now.

ethelred said:
I wanted Lost Odyssey more than those other games.

Sorry, but you're in the minority in NA.
I haven't even seen Mass Effect get promoted on the scale which it was reportedly going to get. Makes you wonder if LO will in turn get the Blue Dragon treatment.

If it's ok I wanted to add these here.

reriel said:

·feist· said:

·feist· said:
http://entertainment.jp.msn.com/lostodyssey/

That's the "Lost Odyssey × SWITCH on MSN" collaborative site that launched at the end of October.

Vol.25 No.12 (2007年12月号)

6kj2pfq.jpg

8e6gjet.jpg

8b8yqs4.jpg

732ant2.jpg

Inoue has been featured a few times including cover stories for Vagabond (twice) and Slam Dunk. That 3rd pic is filled with greatness, btw.

justchris

I really want this game. This game will be the game that gets me to finally break down and buy a 360. Don't suppose the premium'll be down to $300 by the time of the US release <sigh>.

duckroll

Hmmm.... it seems in line with Famitsu's new review policies, they've indicated that to clear the game once it took them 20-25 hours. Hmmmmmmm.........

Tiktaalik

Damn this game looks awesome. We've heard so little in the way of impressions so far. I'm really anxious to hear more about it.

Tiktaalik

icecream said:
Needs more EU/US boxart.

7ys3211.jpg

As is typical, the Japanese art is vastly superior. I'm not sure why the designer of the EU/US box decided to pointlessly add a vista of a city. It's not like this EU/US boxart has any more action to try to appeal to a different audience.

Yeh, I'm so looking forward to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since the very first video shown, I was hooked! I really dug the seamless CG to in-game transitions. Also doesn't hurt, that I love turn based rpg's :D . Altho, LO's does seem a bit slow, I have faith it will be everything I'm hoping it will be. Just so the storyline is compelling enough to keep me playing, I'll be good.

justchris said:
I really want this game. This game will be the game that gets me to finally break down and buy a 360. Don't suppose the premium'll be down to $300 by the time of the US release <sigh>.

Xbox 360 premium for $280 from K-Mart & Sears before the end of December.

71ojmuc.jpg

20gig Premium + 2 free games --> $280

120gig Elite + 2 free games --> $360

Coupons valid from present - 12/22.

justchris

·feist· said:
Xbox 360 premium for $280 from K-Mart & Sears before the end of December.

couponage

Hey, thanks, no Kmarts left in my area, but I can pick one up at Sears.

Yay, I get to spend yet more money this year. Awesome.

bran

Blue Dragon,
Eternal Sonata,
now Lost Odessey

J-developers please do something for the PS3, NOW?
Let's see, I'll take one of each of:
- Valkyrie Profile 3
- Persona 4
- Final Fantasy 13
- Tales of Nextgen!

llTll

Banned
duckroll

you have been witing to start the pfficial thread for LO for ages. counting the days till it reach 2 weeks before you make the thread :lol

nice btw

Acosta

One of my most anticipated games. I´m enjoying a lot Blue Dragon but the story is a bit in the soft side while I like more sophisticated things, Lost Odyssey looks like a title I will enjoy a lot in many fields (music, story, art...).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nice thread!

I can't wait for this game (actually since its only about a week away, I guess I can...)!
From what I have seen of this game it is turning out to be everything I hoped it to be: great graphics, intriguing story and characters, and standard JRPG gameplay with some twists.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

icecream

Public Health Threat
bran said:
- Valkyrie Profile 3
- Persona 4
- Final Fantasy 13
- Tales of Nextgen!
Did you happen to forget White Knight Story, Disgaea 3, and Eternal Sonata first?

Beezy said:
But they both say excludes electronics.
People have purchased systems with this and the previous Kmart coupon. Also, game hardware and software are often classified as toys with a number of stores. When all else fails, there are legal ways to go about it.

justchris said:
Yay, I get to spend yet more money this year. Awesome.
Tell your wallet to shut up and buy a system.

MCD

icecream said:
Did you happen to forget White Knight Story, Disgaea 3, and Eternal Sonata first?

Don't forget valkyrie of the battlefield and last remnant, not to mention all the FF goodies.

but this ain't the thread for this.

bran said:
Blue Dragon,
Eternal Sonata,
now Lost Odessey

- Valkyrie Profile 3 = Busy making IU for 360, and then SO4 for 360(and maybe PS3)
- Persona 4 = This is atlus we're talking about. Even if P4 was next up, it ain't, it's still a looooong way off
- Final Fantasy 13 = Fallen into vaporware, hopefully to emerge as awesome as CC
- Tales of Nextgen! = That's been moved to the DS :}}}}}} (kill me)
Thread title should have a "for Japan" or something in the title otherwise there'll be a bunch of angry posts sooner or later...

antiloop

bran said:
Blue Dragon,
Eternal Sonata,
now Lost Odessey

- Valkyrie Profile 3
- Persona 4
- Final Fantasy 13
- Tales of Nextgen!

I bet they are working on all of them. Although <10 hour play time isn't enough for those kind of games.
If a <10-15 hour game takes 3 year to make this gen I expect a 60 hour RPG to take at least 4 years for PS3. At least a good one. :)

Top Bottom