• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trent Reznor pitched a game(and his thoughts on the industry today)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
If it doesn't involve him and three Triceratops on a hackneyed ferris wheel over molten lava I'm not interested.

woxel1

This doesn't surprise me. In the liner notes to Year Zero he thanks "Nintendo of America... Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc."

Trent Reznor has always been a big gamer and really knows his stuff. He's a pure geek but I think a lot of people don't know this.

jibblypop

Banned
Man, I almost thought that was me talking. I'm the only person I know that would rather play a 10 dollar downloadable game than the newest Call of Duty. I just feel like the new war games feel so flat and lifeless without any creativity but the XBLA and wiiware stuff is exciting as hell.
Nice to hear someone else agree with me that isn't on GAF.

Ruprit

jibblypop said:
Man, I thought that was me talking. I'm the only person I know that would rather play a 10 dollar downloadable game than the newest Call of Duty.
Nice to hear someone else agree with me that isn't on GAF.

Amen to that. Flower was easily one of my best gaming experiences of late.

FairyD

I remember reading an article about him where he used to play this quake 2 mod called weapons factory. It was basically a team fortress clone for quake 2 and it was a rather small community. Used to think how cool it was that I unknowingly played quake with Trent Reznor.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
FrenchMovieTheme said:
damn trent reznor is buff as shit now

seriously. i've never seen the guy live and I only remember him looking like this:

trent-sm.jpg

i couldn't believe that was reznor sitting in that chair. how long has he been like this?

Coins

Banned
Darunia said:
seriously. i've never seen the guy live and I only remember him looking like this:

i couldn't believe that was reznor sitting in that chair. how long has he been like this?

He has been buff since he quit using drugs.

Camwi

Trent Reznor is a god. I only wish that he'd come to Wisconsin again. :(

Well, either that or add me to his friends list on Live.

Darunia said:

trent-sm.jpg

He's been a big dude for a while now, or at least I remember him lookin' pretty buff back during the With Teeth tour.

Opiate

I am with this musician. My favorite games this generation on consoles have been on PSN and XBLA. Favorite PS3 games are SSDHD, Flower, EchoChrome: my favorite 360 game by a wide margin is Braid.

Eteric Rice

Kind of sad that only cinimatic and movie license games become retail these days.

Industry is going further and further into the shitter, imo.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Just watched this. Reznor seems really insightful about new media. Have always loved NIN, glad to see that Reznor doesn't have his head in the clouds when it comes to new media. :D

andymcc

Banned
i really don't care for his music, but he interviews pretty well and this is no exception. i've always believed he has had great taste and is pretty insightful.

outsidah

I got tix for his gig down here in S. Florida. Cant wait. I bought tix the last time and show got cancelled because of a hurricane.

Great interview btw, thanks OP

BanGy.nz

Banned
Cat in the Hat said:
You surprised really? I'm not
Yeah, thinking about it I guess you're right, considering how terrible a lot of the gaming podcast are. Wow, how depressing is that?

Mar

MrPing1000 said:
Wtf had no idea he did sound fx for Quake.

He did the entire soundtrack for quake. And it is still one of the best video game soundtracks ever.

And yeah, he's beefed up a bit since the last time I saw him. He's been buff for a long time now, but he's also put on a bit of 'other' weight too.

Narcosis

Pretty interesting about reznor trying to push a game idea to a major games publisher. Perhaps in the future if the idea ever pops up again he can do it more "indie" style on a download service.

That kinda sucks about Tapeworm, I always wondered what was up with that, since NIN and Tool both rank among my all time favorites. Strange to hear an artist admit something they did was mediocre.

OP: Thanks for the link to the interview, was genuinely interesting.

Dirtbag

my sister rode jetskis with trent and the rest of his NIN mates (whoever at the time), in the spillway just outside of new orleans.

I can't remember a time I felt more jealous then that. I'm not a star struck person, and I really can't stand people that treat them above other people... but I genuinely would love to pick Reznor's brain.

miyuru

I kept forwarding through the video waiting for Reznor to show up.

Then I realised, that was him. Wow haha.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
MrPing1000 said:
Wtf had no idea he did sound fx for Quake.

I thought this was common knowledge. The NIN logo was used for the Nailgun ammo afterall. :p

Grayman said:
I think he may have done something as late as DOOM 3

He was originally going to be involved with Doom 3, but he had some neat sounding ideas about how to make the music and sound more involved (or something like that, it was like 6 years ago give me a break :p) and Carmack disagreed so they went separate ways. Chris Vrenna was the guy who ended up doing the music to Doom 3 iirc.

Dirtbag

industrian said:
He was originally going to be involved with Doom 3, but he had some neat sounding ideas about how to make the music and sound more involved (or something like that, it was like 6 years ago give me a break :p) and Carmack disagreed so they went separate ways. Chris Vrenna was the guy who ended up doing the music to Doom 3 iirc.
That's too bad.
Visually Doom3 was amazing, but my take-away was a very generic shooter.
Would have been neat to see it do something different.

I only knew Reznor as the man involved with Quake. After that, I expected him to be quite informed on video games, but not this much. Interesting to hear him say the same thing I've been feeling for years.

"Same game, looks better".

KevinCow said:
Wasn't Reznor a boss in Mario World?

Cosmic coincidence. Right around the time SMW hit America, Pretty Hate Machine had only just reached the Billboard top 100 albums. Point being that nin was still very much a cult thing on the verge at that point.

Heh. Coincidentally, I've been teaching myself to play Leaving Hope on the piano all day.

Trent has been ahead of the curve for awhile.

I went to the Lights In The Sky tour (Denver, CO - Red Rocks Amphitheater). It was fucking amazing. One of the most amazing things I've witnessed in my life. I'll be going to NIN/JA as well.

gantz85

Banned
BanGy.nz said:
He just talked more intelligently then half the people I hear on gaming podcast.

More than N'Gai Croal, IMO, who sounds intelligent but I almost feel like he's bullshitting like someone would do while in college.

If Reznor appeared on a gaming podcast I would lap it all up.

Top Bottom