• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upgrading the PS3 HD is like console sex

DeadGzuz

Banned
So I scored a 120GB 2.5" drive from BB for $23 (yes, that hurts to read as a 360 owner).

1. Plugged in a 40GB USB drive (my friend's old PS3 HD), ran the backup utility (30GB ~1hr). Played co-op EDF.

2. Swapped the drives, literally 3 minutes of work.

3. Booted PS3 which prompted for a format (15-20 secs).

4. Ran restore utility (~1hr). Watched TV.

Rebooted and my PS3 was in the same state as pre-upgrade. Everything. Games, saves, themes, bookmarks, config, etc. Get this, my "The Club" demo was still DLing at 46%. It backed up my background DL mid-stream.

Standard OTS HD upgrade was a very nice touch Sony, thank you. Now to buy a 2.5" external USB case for my old 60GB.

Now I have parity. 120GB 360 & 120GB PS3. :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
How did you get the screws out of the old HDD without stripping them? I found this extremely hard while trying to upgrade my friend's 20GB.

MoxManiac

DeadGzuz said:
So I scored a 120GB 2.5" drive from BB for $23 (yes, that hurts to read as a 360 owner).

1. Plugged in a 40GB USB drive (my friend's old PS3 HD), ran the backup utility (30GB ~1hr). Played co-op EDF.

Rebooted and my PS3 was in the same state as pre-upgrade. Everything. Games, saves, themes, bookmarks, config, etc. Get this, my "The Club" demo was still DLing at 46%. It backed up my background DL mid-stream.

Standard OTS HD upgrade was a very nice touch Sony, thank you. Now to buy a 2.5" external USB case for my old 60GB.

Can you please tell me how you got one for $23? Please?

20GB PS3 owner here :(

DeadGzuz

Banned
Kagari said:
How did you get the screws out of the old HDD without stripping them? I found this extremely hard while trying to upgrade my friend's 20GB.

No issues here, I think you have to be careful not to use too small a screw driver.

DeadGunz, while I acknowledge your insight on variou topics...this wasn't a good idea. Don't stoop to the same level as the people who make comments to get a rise out of others. =/

Anyway, how did you get it for so cheap?

Ploid 3.0

I need to get a backup drive because I know I'm going to upgrade. Love filling up the hdd. Maybe I just need a huge external drive rather. 80gb currently.

I will upgrade somehow the 250GB cap is removed or a workaround found. I really don't want any external HD's sitting in my entertainment system.

Dante

MWS Natural said:
I will upgrade somehow the 250GB cap is removed or a workaround found. I really don't want any external HD's sitting in my entertainment system.

There is no 250 cap. Unless you are talking about a FAT 32 external drive.

Kittonwy

Banned
DeadGzuz said:

And you didn't even have to use your tongue.
Indifferent2.gif

Dante said:
Really? I thought in the last PS3 internal HD thread people were saying that. If there is not cap then I'm definitely going to invest in a 500GB drive once my 60GB fills up.

sun-drop

yes it is awesome, and i'll be upgrading my HDD no doubt when playTV comes out shortly..

but, wish you could just buy a new HDD, swapp out drives, put my old drive ina USB caddy and run a import on my ps3 stright from that ...you know ...do away with the need to involve a backup and a 3rd drive.

DoomGyver

I upgraded to a 200gb 7,200 rpm 16mb cache and I felt so so very dirty.

(FYI 7,200 rpm does make an Installation improvement, and does not overheat my console)

So if you want to shave a few minutes off of that Capcom install, get a 7,200 rpm HDD.

Dante said:
The only cap I believe is 2GB for videos, due to piracy. I have a 60GB drive but I'm trying to save up and get a 500GB one. Allowing end users to buy any drive from any manufacturer is probably the best decision Sony made hardware wise.

mollipen

I picked up possibly the same 120GB HDD from Best Buy for $56 (I'll have to see if it's the same drive, and if I can get a price match), and had basically the same experience.

...well, except that even when using the proper screwdriver, the blue screw stripped itself a bit, and one of the drive screws was so tight in that it completely stripped, and I ended up bending the caddy a bit trying to get the damn thing out. I now have a stock drive that won't come out, a new drive just sitting around, and am awaiting a call from Sony in hopes I can get a new caddy after the person I talked to swore that they won't sell the parts to me. (Though I've read reports from others who have done just that.)

Other than that, though, you know, about the same experience.

garth2000

As a 360 owner, I must say, hats off. I'm very jealous.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go spend an hour cleaning up my HDD so I can download another demo.

.... Stupid $200 HDD upgrade

Kuran

Banned
I couldn't unscrew the screws... one of them just spins infinitely.. :(

I'd have to drill it out, and thats just scary.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kagari said:
I was worried about this reading about it, but it was not problem at all. I used a screwdriver that had a tip that was a perfect match for screws in question though. That probably helped.

vercity82

Got a question im tempted to buy a 320gb for the ps3 so....

1.on my japanese accounts i cannot remember my password for dear lord will the restore back up remember everything thats on my current drive?

So all accounts and all will be as they are on my 60gb as this tempts me so much my devil may cry 4 seemed to run slow even after install as lack of space left on my drive :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
vercity82 said:
Got a question im tempted to buy a 320gb for the ps3 so....

1.on my japanese accounts i cannot remember my password for dear lord will the restore back up remember everything thats on my current drive?

So all accounts and all will be as they are on my 60gb as this tempts me so much my devil may cry 4 seemed to run slow even after install as lack of space left on my drive :(

If you don't remember your password, you could always do password recovery.

inner-G

Banned
Threi said:
Man if that is sex to you wait till you use a PC.
it's actually easier to switch out than a PC HDD imo.

running the backup utility takes a while, but its very very easy.

No wires even.

You can only do password recovery if you remember the dates and questions you put in when creating it, and if you're making a second or third account you tend not to bother too much with that...

mollipen

Marconelly said:
I was worried about this reading about it, but it was not problem at all. I used a screwdriver that had a tip that was a perfect match for screws in question though. That probably helped.

I hate when people say this, like those of us having problems are using a butter knife to do it or something. I used the exact size screwdriver, and three of the four screws came out perfectly, while the fourth was in so tight that I ended up stripping it. So the problem isn't just people using the wrong tools.

Argyle

B-Ri said:
id do this, but the rock band save wont copy over :'(

I upgraded a couple of days ago, the Rock Band save WILL copy over.

Also, I stripped the head of the 4th screw :( but I managed to get it out with a pair of needlenose pliers.

vercity82

Anybody know if it saves my login data???And i have lost my recovery its on the jap account so i cant rememebr nothing at all :(

DeadGzuz said:

That's pretty freaking awesome

watership

I went out and bought a 1TB drive for my PC, then shared the drive to my 360. I still have 8 gigs for demos as they come out. Shrug. I seem to be doing okay. Now when more and more Xbox Originals come out, I may be in trouble. But since I play one or two games at a time, I'm not to concerned.

Top Bottom