• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's noise level measured by German IT magazine

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The German magazine ComputerBild is currently running an analysis with a PS4 debug unit. They have measured the unit's noise level while navigating the system menu and compared it to the original PS3.

After 10 minutes of operation
PS3: 0.83 sone
PS4: 0.815 sone

According to the magazine, a "slight noise" is audible from 40cm (= 15.75 inches) distance.

After 60 minutes of operation
PS3: 2.1 sone
PS4: 0.83 sone

A sone is a unit of perceived loudness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sone (with examples).

Source: http://new.livestream.com/accounts/3796398/events/2475845

80a0f53a-6df4-4720-a4gjs46.jpg

DBT85

How does this compare with the slim?

the question for all the PS3 comparisons is, which revision. The Slim you could buy on day 1 was not the same slim you could by just before the Super SLim came out. Similarly the Fat that you could buy at launch was not the same one you could buy just before the Slim came out.

Finally, some actual numbers. Really glad we're reaching the launch of these consoles, enough with "virtually silent operation" PR points.

the question for all the PS3 comparisons is, which revision. The Slim you could buy on day 1 was not the same slim you could by just before the Super SLim came out. Similarly the Fat that you could buy at launch was not the same one you could buy just before the Slim came out.
I didn't know that, how loud would it be then? Is there any way to tell?

GorillaJu

Kind of matters how old the systems are, too. All hardware eventually collects dust inside and get louder over time. My CPU fan was so quiet I couldn't hear it operating, even under full load, when I first bought it. Now it sounds like a jet engine.

chadskin

After 60 minutes of operation
PS3: 2.1 sone
PS4: 0.83 sone

It should be noted (and it was in the OP, sigh), "operation" doesn't mean playing games, it's basically just running the menu. For all we know, it could be louder than the PS3 in games.

cebri.one

Actually i don't care if my PS4 is a bit loud when i'm playing videogames, but it's quite annoying when watching movies. So if it keeps this level of noise when playing blurays i will be happy :D

gruenel

Kind of matters how old the systems are, too. All hardware eventually collects dust inside and get louder over time. My CPU fan was so quiet I couldn't hear it operating, even under full load, when I first bought it. Now it sounds like a jet engine.

You know you can clean these things, right?

It should be noted (and it was in the OP, sigh), "operation" doesn't mean playing games, it's basically just running the menu. For all we know, it could be louder than the PS3 in games.

Well doesn't the PS4 have mandatory installs? It'll definitely be quieter just because of that.

Are you sure? my PS3 makes no more noise if its sat on the xmb after an hour as it does after 10 minutes, if its playing a game after an hour or so the fans will ramp up and be more audible.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
"slight noise"? Doooooooooom or an air canister. I'll keep an air canister handy. Hopefully they let me clean it without invalidating warranty. And if that sound is even less when it's on standby than my PS3 Slim, that's good. But it could be better. But then again, I don't know how much a scone is.

Where do these 'Jet Engine PS3' comments come from? I have a 40gig phat and It is practically silent (the one exception being The Last of Us. Until that game I didn't even know the PS3 had a louder/higher fan speed)

Then again I was using the 360 waaaay more over the years, so maybe I have been spoiled by the true Jet-Engine noises from that beast

OT, awesome news about how quiet it is, even if it is just the menu. Perfect for blurays, I found volume was menu levels when watching blurays on the PS3

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The distance the slight noise was heard at is 40 inches not cm's according to their updates.

It is definitely in centimeters.

Nach zehn Minuten Laufzeit sind das 0.815 Sone, gemessen 40 Zentimeter entfernt vom Gerät.

Nobody measures distances in inches in Germany.

LTWheels

We also need the values whilst it's playing a game before we can draw any conclusion.

But hopefully the signs are looking good.

Lacix

What about the disc spinning noise during gameplay or blu-ray playback ?
This is what worries me. (6x instead of 2x)

Where do these 'Jet Engine PS3' comments come from? I have a 40gig phat and It is practically silent (the one exception being The Last of Us. Until that game I didn't even know the PS3 had a louder/higher fan speed)

Then again I was using the 360 waaaay more over the years, so maybe I have been spoiled by the true Jet-Engine noises from that beast

OT, awesome news about how quiet it is, even if it is just the menu. Perfect for blurays, I found volume was menu levels when watching blurays on the PS3

I have a launch 60 GB and it was virtually silent when I bought it, but now it's a jet engine even on the XMB. I should really look for a tutorial on cleaning the fans to see if I can get it quieter, because it's a problem at night.

Top Bottom