• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

I got my first shiny the other day while chaining Dittos. Too bad its IVs aren't great.
I just got the Shiny Charm today and I already found myself a shiny Dragonair. It must be working!

Just bought this game yesterday and have been playing around a bit. Just finished the trains school section. The last Pokémon game I played was Emerald on game boy advance. So with this one I actually want to take it seriously instead of just fumbling through it. What's some tips on building a strong team? I never gave it much thought before besides just catching random Pokémon and making them my team lol.

Just bought this game yesterday and have been playing around a bit. Just finished the trains school section. The last Pokémon game I played was Emerald on game boy advance. So with this one I actually want to take it seriously instead of just fumbling through it. What's some tips on building a strong team? I never gave it much thought before besides just catching random Pokémon and making them my team lol.

Just finish the game with the Pokemon you like. Then after you finished the main game you can think about creating a strong team. Come back and ask again then^^

Wichu

Yeah, there's little point worrying about building a strong team (i.e. one that will hold its own in PVP or the Battle Tree) until after you finish the main game. It's way overkill for the story, and much easier to do afterwards once you have access to all the conveniences the game has to offer (such as the Oval Charm and Lucky Egg, which you can only get after you finish the story).

For now, just get a good mix of types and a wide range of attacks on each Pokémon. Play to your strengths and don't duplicate functionality too much - for example, if your Pokémon has higher Attack than Special Attack, use physical moves where possible, and don't have more than two Pokémon of the same type on your team or moves of the same type on any one Pokémon. Don't be afraid to replace Pokémon that aren't pulling their weight - the Exp. Share and experience scaling systems will catch them up to your level in no time. In fact, Exp. Share actually gives you too much experience, so if you don't want the game to be piss-easy then either turn it off or constantly rotate your team so your experience gets shared between more Pokémon.

In fact, Exp. Share actually gives you too much experience, so if you don't want the game to be piss-easy then either turn it off or constantly rotate your team so your experience gets shared between more Pokémon.
Yeah, coming from Gen 3, this is what I did. It took a long time, but I got to try a lot of Pokemon I missed out on during the story when it can be more casual. It made it more fun for me. I wouldn't find it fun to be 20 levels overleveled with the same team from 1 hour in the game, sweeping everything.

JoeM86

Two new themes

C7fAtbNXkAEiIAb.jpg
C7fAu99WkAAF7U5.jpg

So I guess I won't continue playing this game. It just consumes too much time. I rather play other games now.
Had a blast for more than 170hrs with this. I hope the rumours about the stars version for Switch are true then I'd love to start a new game and play without the exp share.

Frost_Ace

Man, I really need some willpower to finish my yellow VC version. I want to transfer those sweet HA mons but the game is just unplayable. FRLG is so much better.

Man, I really need some willpower to finish my yellow VC version. I want to transfer those sweet HA mons but the game is just unplayable. FRLG is so much better.

Man I struggled through Yellow too, did not hold up well at all for me.
I had planned running through a few older titles and working back up to S&M but Yellow stopped that in its tracks immediately.

I finally beat 20 battles in Battle Tree Single! Took me long enough, but I built up a Lanturn that knows Soak and it was so fun. It was the star of the team. Or maybe it was a lot of luck, too.
Now, the real challenge can begin...

JoeM86

2017 International Challenge April
C7-iyobXgAAZcla.jpg

Region: International
Registration Period: April 19th 2017 - April 27th 2017
Battle Period: April 28th - April 30th 2017
Battle Type: Double Battle
Battle Limits: 15 Battles per day
Pokémon Restrictions: Alola Pokédex Only.
Banned Pokémon: Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Magearna
Banned Items: Mega Stones
Entry Gift: Sceptilite and Blazikenite

Also, new Global Mission. Hatch 200,000 Eggs in the next two weeks

AND, the Pidgeotite and Steelixite are now available

Africanus

Does anyone have a spare hp fire timid contrary snivy.
Specific ass request, but I've always wanted to try out contrary serperior.
I can offer various (Drampa, Toxapex, Vulpix-A etc) 5 ivs in exchange.

C8kcjz6XoAAnAvU.jpg

I weep for humanity

Why ? Also I thought Mega-stones were still banned from official Ratings Seasons atm ?

ETA - Also why is Slowbro carrying eviolite at a surprisingly high commoness ? Mega Evolutions don't count do they ? Or is it a team setup where an eviolite benefitting Pokemon starts with some other setup item and then gets passed the eviolite after its triggered ?

JoeM86

Why ? Also I thought Mega-stones were still banned from official Ratings Seasons atm ?

ETA - Also why is Slowbro carrying eviolite at a surprisingly high commoness ? Mega Evolutions don't count do they ? Or is it a team setup where an eviolite benefitting Pokemon starts with some other setup item and then gets passed the eviolite after its triggered ?

Mega Stone is irrelevant. It's the Eviolite.

Mega Evolutions do not count. Eviolite is useless on Slowbro but people think it isn't due to the misconception that SLowbro evolves into Slowking

Come on, nobody actually believes this.

Do they?

This is extremely common.

When Gen II first came out, I thought Slowbro evolved into Slowking. I traded back forth with a King's Rock over and over and thought my game was glitched.

When I took a break from Pokémon and came back for Gen 4, I remembered a lot, but forgot a lot too. One of the things I forgot was that Slowpoke evolves into Slowking when traded, not Slowbro.

I took another break from the series and came back in a big way for S/M. I would try to trade Slowpoke for Slowpoke to get a Slowking, but a much easier trade was Slowbro for Slowking.

I would bet that it's the most popular misconception in the whole series. It pervades in all generations.

Kyzer

Banned
Ironically I always knew slowking was a separate evo but years later it would slip my mind as Id confusedly try to evolve my slowbro and wonder what im doing wrong

Hmm, Torkoal overused? I bet it's that instant sunny ability. I kind of wanted to try that out to see how viable it could be. Marowak seems fun too.

Hmm, Torkoal overused? I bet it's that instant sunny ability. I kind of wanted to try that out to see how viable it could be. Marowak seems fun too.

Auto-sun plus Eruption and the option of turning Eruption into Inferno Overdrive make it a really powerful Pokemon in VGC17. Helps to have Trick Room support as well.

Smogon's standard set:
Torkoal @ Charcoal / Firium Z
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave / Flamethrower
- Solar Beam / Flamethrower / Hidden Power Ice
- Protect

Regiruler

The problem with Slowbro is that it's name is similar and doesn't immediately imply a more advanced form. No other pokemon really has this problem.

Doesn't help that it doesn't change much visually.

Has anyone managed to chain for a wild Snorlax? I've tried time and time again to no avail. Not even a hidden ability Munchlax. I found a shiny before I found either one of them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Auto-sun plus Eruption and the option of turning Eruption into Inferno Overdrive make it a really powerful Pokemon in VGC17. Helps to have Trick Room support as well.

Smogon's standard set:
Torkoal @ Charcoal / Firium Z
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave / Flamethrower
- Solar Beam / Flamethrower / Hidden Power Ice
- Protect

Yea, auto-sun + trick room really seems like it would make Torkoal a beast. Torkoal protects turn one, partner trick rooms, turn two the sweep begins. Those high damage attacks that hit both opponents can really tear a hole in any team pretty fast.

Random thought, but it just occurred to me that Pokemon on Switch would be crazy if we finally get multiple saves. Watch them disable it though :/

Top Bottom