• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 REVEALED! 60man MP, 8p Co-op, 2 campaigns, etc HOLY $#!t

Wollan

Big thanks to NeoGAF member Steve for transcribing the info provided by brazzle84 @ IGN. Thanks to Basch for additional info.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R2_long_logo.jpg

Genre: Goty
Release: November 4th
Platform: PlayStation 3
Developer: Insomniac Games

• **NEW THREAD LAUNCHED**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• One campaign focusing on Nathan Hale across 1950's USA invaded by the Chimera.
Game starts out with Hale getting shot down in Iceland (this is the first level) and the country getting overrun by the Chimera. He barely manages to escape alive back to the USA. Nathan Hale is there recruited into a top secret program called the Sentinels, other soldiers who are immune to the virus. Alongside each other they train and prepare for the war. Two years go by and then the shit hits the fans. The Chimera invades with hundreds of gigantic crafts attacking both coastal shores of the USA. UNITED WE FALL.
Ted2.jpg

• One campaign specifically crafted for Co-op focusing on a squad of soldiers, supports 2 players offline, 8 players Online (Co-op). Story runs parallel to the singleplayer with a bit more focus on level flow instead of story presentation. Each players have different classes.
Ted3.jpg

• Online Multiplayer (dedicated servers with faster matchmaking than any game before) supporting 60 people, lobbies for individual squads. Each squad is given different objectives and the (huge) levels flow such that it's squad versus squad instead of hoping everyone together.
Ted1.jpg

• Classes for Co-op, templates include Heavy which is equipped with a chaingun and is powered by the amount of kills he makes which again recharges a mobile shield. There's a Special Ops class that has a re-engineered bullseye rifle with scope functionality and extreme stopping power. Also there's a Medic class equipped with a Medicator gun that shoots red damaging bolts at enemies and blue healing bolts at comrades.
Ted4.jpg

• Mobile phone quality headset voice transfer
• Huge graphical leap with textures being sharp both close and far away. Shaders, shadowing and lighting greatly improved. Game also has a much wider color palette.
• Scaled AI so what's closer to the player and in view gets more sophisticated behavior compared to those far away.
• Randomized layout for certain areas in the Co-op campaign (also procedurally animated clouds).
• Boss fights in FPS gaming finally done right, enemies far bigger than the tallest seen in the original game.
• New creatures including Chameleons.
• Insane stat tracking & Community features coupled with MyResistance.net. Fully featured profile pages at that site tying in with social networking concepts. Clans and Parties can be open with no invites needed and more.

Game Informer said:
"Resistance 2 will be too epic to dismiss as anything but one of the biggest, boldest, and most high-reaching titles of 2008. It's a game that won't be ignored."

gicoverfeb08.jpg

First Official Screens released!

MUST LISTEN: Insomniac Games Full Moon Show - Season 2 Podcast premiere with Resistance 2 info, Bungie interview and more!

Media (Early June):
• Parkour Zombies (Grim) in 1950s Chicago! Resistance 2 HD Gameplay Video.
• Resistance 2 60man MP HD Gameplay Video.
• Cloverfield in 1950s Chicago! Resistance 2 HD Gameplay Video.

• Ted Price - Resistance 2 Interview Part 1
• Ted Price - Resistance 2 Interview Part 2
• Colin Munson - Resistance 2 Interview Part 3
•
• Resistance 1 Voices Trailer
• Resistance 1 EU Launch Trailer

Links:
• Resistance2.com (empty)
• http://www.MyResistance.net
• Official NeoGAF R:FoM thread
• Insomniac Games Official Website
• Resistance universe back story (top presentation)
• Resistance universe European campaign (top presentation)
---
--
-

Tieno

8 player co-op campaign alongside single player campaign, does that mean it's like those GRAW co-op chapters? Pretty insane.

Smokey

I just posted this in the official Resistance thread...

The console shooter to end all console shooter?

I can't believe what I read the game sounds fucking HUGE

60 Player online battles
Different classess
8 player fucking co-op online

:O

pswii60

8 player co-op!?

OMFG. Wasn't everyone fapping over Halo 3 and Haze's 4 player co-op? lol

4-player co-op is obviously so 2007.

kbear

This just sounds way too good to be true. It would be GOTY if this stuff was true. 60-player? 8-player co-op? Classes / perks? Insane... Insomniac are gods if this is true.

andycapps

Seriously, hype for this just went through the roof for me. I mean, I thought this was going to be an evolution of the first game, this seems like they're really going all out. I cannot wait for the podcast on the 17th. :D

Doel

There is more:

EDIT 8: Online matching... standard difficulty discarded for scaled challenges for team skill..

EDIT 9: Partially randomized geometry... levels are different with each playthrough

EDIT 10: again... 60 players online. want sense of epic b attle.. dont want fast-furious gameplay to be focus, more focused on squad v squad.

EDIT 11: will log into smaller four-to-eight man lobbies for each squad... encouraging communication and camaraderie, squad will be tasked witha particular objective. careful level design aims to deliver intense combat zones or small team conflicts that flow within arena of larger battle.

EDIT 12: Dedicated gaming community with stat servers for faster matchmaching than any console game of 2007. full-featured profile pages through myresistance.net will incorporate social networking concepts. open clan and party system to encourage community...no player invites needed.

EDIT 13: Aiming to deliver mobile-phone-quality sound.

Woffls

Wow, 60 players, that MUST mean it's going to be better than every other multiplayer shooter ever!!

Doel said:
There is more:

EDIT 8: Online matching... standard difficulty discarded for scaled challenges for team skill..

EDIT 9: Partially randomized geometry... levels are different with each playthrough

EDIT 10: again... 60 players online. want sense of epic b attle.. dont want fast-furious gameplay to be focus, more focused on squad v squad.

EDIT 11: will log into smaller four-to-eight man lobbies for each squad... encouraging communication and camaraderie, squad will be tasked witha particular objective. careful level design aims to deliver intense combat zones or small team conflicts that flow within arena of larger battle.

EDIT 12: Dedicated gaming community with stat servers for faster matchmaching than any console game of 2007. full-featured profile pages through myresistance.net will incorporate social networking concepts. open clan and party system to encourage community...no player invites needed.

EDIT 13: Aiming to deliver mobile-phone-quality sound.
:0

Doel

And more:

EDIT 14: Futher tapped power of PS3... more enemies onscreen, better AI, better lighting and shaders (SCREENSHOTS LOOK AMAZING!!!). More comples normal mapping and detail mapping combine to deliver textures that look amazing from afar and at extremely close distances.

EDIT 15: AI getting a lot more attention.. will scaled on-the-fly to players perspective and viewpoint... aka enemies cloesr to the player will actually have more spohisicated AI routines than those further away. assailants in your direct field of view received heightened intelligence. easily more cunning than before

sorry for typos... typing fast

Borys

Banned
Smokey Bones said:
The console shooter to end all console shooter?

I can't believe what I read the game sounds fucking HUGE

60 Player online battles
Different classess
8 player fucking co-op online

:O

More like the shooter to end all shooters (yup, KZ2 including)?

This is fucking unbelievable, truly alphaepic.

Dante

OH.............

MAH......................

GOD.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONFIRMED!!

8 Player co-op gonna be SICK.

andycapps

Ok, so yours was posted first. Sorry TTP. This sounds amazing, 8 player co-op online will be freaking insane. I cannot wait for this. Good way to go into the weekend.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that's all very impressive, but i hope it doesn't take halo 3's 'network features uber alles' approach -- i still mainly play these games for their single-player campaigns

Mrbob

Oh my fucking god.

Insomniac going above and beyond the call of duty again.

Looks like they will set the standard again for FPS games.

I hope this doesn't lag to hell online.

Top Bottom