• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathblow! Silicon Knights ordered to destroy all software with unreal code.

jett

D-Member
Well, that's it for SK. It was always an utterly ridiculous lawsuit from them, not surprised it blew on their faces.

Eusis

So they have till Dec 21st to comply? The MAYANS KNEW!!!!
So they were just predicting the end of Silicon Knights? Man, it'd have been more awesome if they just got Eternal Darkness 2 out that day or something.
Unfortunately it's in the form of a curb stomping.
Fitting, given the games Epic develops. Though Silicon Knights ran right into this situation, so it's harder to feel sorry than for many other developers. Well, harder to feel sorry for Dyack anyway, it's possible to feel MORE sorry for all the employees that got screwed by their boss like that.

Xenon

Fitting, given the games Epic develops. Though Silicon Knights ran right into this situation, so it's harder to feel sorry than for many other developers. Well, harder to feel sorry for Dyack anyway, it's possible to feel MORE sorry for all the employees that got screwed by their boss like that.

I feel sorry for all of SK's employees. Too Human never had a chance thanks to DD's leadership.

edit: Gamestop is no longer selling Too Human new. I went with amazon for it and the Xmen:D.

totowhoa

Banned
Hahah... sometimes I wish Dyack was never banned. What horrible news for SK, though. Really awful that this had to happen to their studio... totally unnecessary.

Eusis

I feel sorry for all of SK's employees. Too Human never had a chance thanks to DD's leadership.

edit: Gamestop is no longer selling Too Human new. I went with amazon for it and the Xmen:D.
GameStop still lists it for me. Maybe I should buzz by later just to see if I can pick it up for $6.

Rubius

I feared to read the words Eternal Darkness in this text. What is all of this BTW, why do they need to destroy this code?

Haunted

Who was their lawyer? Lionel Hutz?
hyperchicken.jpg

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
gif%2B61.gif

Wow...

Free Radical<<Factor 5<Silicone Knights<Rare

Fear the Nintendo curse. Fear it I say!

Better yet, just fear shitty business decisions and lousy management...

JB1981

The ultimate backfire. Dyack ruining SK purely by his own hubris is impressive in its own right. At least the undoing of 38 Studios was by Schilling's sheer ignorance of the industry.

It's like a Gaf backfire thread but in real life

NinjaBoiX

Pro-tip:
DO NOT SUE EPIC GAMES
I dunno, it wasn't so much sueing them that was the problem, it was doing so with poor reasoning, and spending the best part of 10 years getting evidence together.

As far as I'm aware, that's why the judge threw the case out.

Eusis

Well I guess Epic should sue Disney now. Turok runs on a heavily modified Unreal Engine 3.... #oop
... Uhh... they're a licensed developer, unlike Silicon Knights which abandoned the license and apparently kept some of the code in their own engine.

B-Dex

Epic countersued.

Yeah but they won. Precedent has been set. Apparently using modified code of an engine you've licensed means you forfeit everything associated with what you've created with that modified engine.

They could go for Bioshock and a slew of other games now too.

Strike

What a difference one generation makes. Can't say I'm surprised that this is pretty much it for the studio. They were really pushing their luck. So does that mean that Too Human and X-men Destiny will be collector's items now?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah but they won. Precedent has been set. Apparently using modified code of an engine you've licensed means you forfeit everything associated with what you've created with that modified engine.

... Uhh... they're a licensed developer, unlike Silicon Knights which abandoned the license and apparently kept some of the code in their own engine.

Precisely the reason for the counterclaim:

CVG said:

lingiii

Banned
Feels bad man.

However, I immediately went to Amazon to pick up Too Human and X-men Destiny. Then thought about it a second and went "nawww".

Ok Nintendo, just give ED2 to Next Level, and no one will be the wiser when SK disappears up Denis' butthole.

PS:
make it for the 3DS

Eusis

Precisely the reason for the counterclaim:
Man, I was kinda hoping he was joking, or at least would've instantly gotten it. No, this is basically like wondering why someone managed to walk out with an electronic when another guy got arrested, ignoring the other person paid for it while the guy being arrested tried to sneak it out with other goods or in his jacket. It's a complete non-issue for the likes of Bioshock unless someone was insane and decided to use the engine without paying first, heavily modified or not.

Joni

Apparently using modified code of an engine you've licensed means you forfeit everything associated with what you've created with that modified engine.
They paid for the license... SK didn't, they just stole the code to make their 'own' engine. Epic Games makes money by selling that engine and letting people modify it.

Funny, I just started playing Too Human last night.

It's not up to Silicon Knights to stop distributing those games, they're Microsoft's and Activision's properties. I don't know much about the US legal system, are they obliged to comply with this?

And what was The Sandman game? Do we have any information about it?

sado

Y'know, things break...
Appreciate the heads up on the Gamestop deal. Picked it up myself. Now just going to cross my fingers for the next few days and hope that they still ship it. Always meant to pick it up eventually but with this happening now, no choice bug to snag a copy.

Also to the posters above, I was still able to pick up the new copy of the game. This was at 3AM CT.

Jackpot

Banned

Uh, SK stole the engine and tried to pass it off as their own in-house one.

Rafaelcsa

I'm curious. How is Epic able to prove that SK was still using their engine after supposedly abandoning it? Epic is not allowed to inspect the source code, right? So how do they know and prove that it's still their engine?

StuBurns

Banned
I don't want to see any company crushed, but everything that's happened to Dyack seems to be of his own doing, and he's a very difficult guy to sympathize with. I feel bad for feeling good about this news.

NinjaBoiX

I'm curious. How is Epic able to prove that SK was still using their engine after supposedly abandoning it? Epic is not allowed to inspect the source code, right? So how do they know and prove that it's still their engine?
They look with their eyes. Unreal games have a very distinct look to them.

NinjaBoiX

I imagined that's how they know that it's their engine. But is that how they prove it to the law?
"Your honour, you will notice that the main protagonist looks kind of plastic, and that his armour is just a big blurry mess. Wait, wait, just hang on a sec, there it is!"

Top Bottom