• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

MacAttack

reinstalling the mac osx client

fuck it, imma keep working towards building that Greninja deck i wanted to make

This is a greninja list that is popular right now:
m_4205.jpg

http://www.60cards.net/en/expert-blog/user/4212/article/624

Pokémon (18)
1x Greninja
3x Greninja
3x Greninja BREAK
4x Frogadier
4x Froakie
3x Jirachi

Trainer (34)
4x Professor Sycamore
2x Ace Trainer
2x Fisherman
1x Shauna
1x Lysandre
4x Rough Seas
4x VS Seeker
4x Trainer's Mail
4x Dive Ball
4x Level Ball
2x Startling Megaphone
1x Sacred Ash
1x Town Map

Energy (8)
8x Water Energy

Durden77

Hmm, I didn't know you could play this online. But on the play store it's saying my device isn't compatible with it. I have a Galaxy S5.

Ryökäle;211914987 said:
This thread popped up at the right time, was going through my old stuff and found my old Pokemon cards.

Do these have some value today? Most of the cards are in a good condition and the years marked at the bottom of the cards are 1995, 96, 98 and 1999 or 1999-2000 in some cards.

None of those pictured outright appear highly valuable to me, but because you have English cards from the Base Set, there's a chance something in your collection has a decent value. For example, your Charizard is what would be rated as "Off-Center" (I think - kinda hard to tell from that pic) with a significantly larger yellow border at the bottom than the top. To the right person, it may be worth more than your average Charizard.

I am 100% not buying any cards, but if you (or anyone else) has English Base Set cards they'd like me to try and roughly estimate value-wise, feel free to post more pics here or just PM me. I doubt anyone has anything crazy valuable because cards of that value are so rare, it is possible you'd have a few gems in the rough, or could at least sell the entire lot decently.

Skatterd

Hmm, I didn't know you could play this online. But on the play store it's saying my device isn't compatible with it. I have a Galaxy S5.

It's only really downloadable from the play store on tablets.

You could always down the apk though. It seems to work flawlessly on a lot of phones. Although be warned that the text may be small.

Durden77

It's only really downloadable from the play store on tablets.

You could always down the apk though. It seems to work flawlessly on a lot of phones. Although be warned that the text may be small.

I'll give it a shot. Could you hook me up with a link?

Edit: NVM got it. Game is pretty fun!

I love the original set of cards from the first 150. I had a lot of Gym Leader cards and lots of Team Rocket cards. I won a shitload of matches thanks to Giovanni's Nidoking and Erika's Venusaur, among others.

Is it true that the original sets are coming back? I'd love to go back to the game and I own a Diamond and Pearl deck, but I'd love to play again with the original ones.

Also...they haven't got around to representing all the Mega Pokemon yet? Just realized there's no Mega Medicham card at all, even though we're almost into Sun and Moon now.
I haven't really been around much, but I get the feeling the M EX cards aren't well-liked and they seem to be saving them for promo boxes or putting popular megas into the actual sets. They really should have worked like BREAK cards in the first place because the turn lockout, the lack of moves, and the needing of another card just to avoid the turn lockout are a massive hassle.

Anony

who else bought from Krammy?
i bought and opened 30 codes from and i think the only noteworthy things i got were lugia ex, kingdra ex, mega manectric ex (which i have no use for) and a few good rares (the rest of the rares seemed meh)
i'm wondering what other people's luck were?

also, how does one get a bunch of needed pre-evolve cards? trading a booster for it doesn't seem like a fair trade

Durden77

So I'm confused about unlockong cards in the online game. Doing these trainer challenges, an I actually unlocking carda or ak I just unlockijg carda for those basic preset decks if I decide to use them? For instance I won the 7 battles for the blue deck and got Articuno, but I'm pretty sure I already had Articuno for my standard deck customization.

I don't get what the little icons under the cards mean. The 0 and then the lock next to them with a number.

Game is a lot of fun though. I used to love the very few times being able to play the card game when I was young, but I was always confused. This online game lays out the rules very well.

Anony

locked means card is available cards to you
the left side means cards available that are tradable

any cards you unlock through the game are non-tradable
cards from booster codes are all tradable and i think the only way to get tradable cards from the game is through the rewards from tournments

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wonder if they're make the Alolan Variants splashable with their regular versions in the TCG?

Like Ice Ninetales can evolve from Fire Vulpix, and has an Ability that turns all Fire Energy into Water Energy.

MacAttack

also, how does one get a bunch of needed pre-evolve cards? trading a booster for it doesn't seem like a fair trade

You can create trades if you have extra codes or tradeable cards. You specify which cards and how many you want in return for a pack.

A lot of the trades online are terribly balanced. Be aware of the value of that Gold Ultra Ball or Vs Seeker before you trade it!

I'm using a fighting deck. All that time being hammered buy fucking Yveltal and Lugia Ex...

ARE NO MORE

XY10_EN_50.png

+

51.jpg

That fucking energy retrieval. Oh, you killed my Zygarde Ex with your Ex? Too bad, deal with this Carbink Break, while I feed my other Zygardes energy from my discard pile. Oh, Hoopa Ex and you just summoned three more Ex cards? Deal with my 3xCarbink.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Damn with how a lot of decks play out that carbink is fucking amazing xD

I'll always enjoy how the card game makes pokes that are meh in the games into viable stuff in the card game

If anyone wants to add me, add QisTopTier :)

Krammy

JebaćBiedę;212175843 said:
I'm using a fighting deck. All that time being hammered buy fucking Yveltal and Lugia Ex...

ARE NO MORE

Safeguard is always fun. It's a shame Carbink is so weak by default, although the BREAK version attempts to make it useful with some beautiful energy retrieval.

My Safeguard of choice during the last rotation was Sigilyph.

BW9_EN_118.png

It worked beautifully in my mono-Psychic deck, especially when Gengar-EX could play Whack-A-Mole and poison.

XY4_EN_114.png

Throw down a Virbank City Gym off the bat and strap your opponent in for the ride of their life.

BW8_EN_126.png

exhume

Let's say an individual mainly collects the cards for personal enjoyment and not to use competitively. Past a certain point, is there any good reason to keep buying booster packs over just buying cards individually from Ebay? You seem to just get the same cards over and over, it's rare to find something fresh or super cool.

Anony

Let's say an individual mainly collects the cards for personal enjoyment and not to use competitively. Past a certain point, is there any good reason to keep buying booster packs over just buying cards individually from Ebay? You seem to just get the same cards over and over, it's rare to find something fresh or super cool.

gambling/lottery probably

i saved up tokens and have around 2000 now, so i can buy like 4 theme decks
1. which are good? i'm looking through the highlighted decks and i dont understand what stands out
individually, the cards don't seem that good
2. is there any way to check which cards in a deck i already have? i dont want to get a deck only to end up finding out that i have most of the cards already

Krammy

It's infinitely more cost-effective to buy a full set on eBay than it is to try and complete one buy purchasing boosters or boxes. Even more so if you're trying to get the whole set in reverse foil as well as non-foil.

For example, I see a complete collection with reverse foils of XY Fates Collide going for under $400. That's the cost of about 3 booster boxes, and I can guarantee you'll not get the whole set in foil from that.

dc89

Subbed! I've got some pretty nice stuff from WoTC era. They just don't make them like this anymore :(

I've got some Base Set, Gym Heroes (1st Edition), Gym Challenge & Team Rocket in English.
I also have 1 pack from the Neo series (can't remember which exact one) in Japanese - love these sets so much, guaranteed a holo in every pack too, it's just a shame it's so expensive.
And I have some Japanese HG/SS stuff.
I'll take some pics and upload when I can.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I got a Gardevoir EX as my special card in the free booster but the problem is I don't know what's good other than EX cards seem rare-ish. :p (She seems pretty underpowered, but again...what do I know :p).

MacAttack

JebaćBiedę;212408628 said:
My deck after polishing it with few changes. I think I like what I'm seeing. It can really hit hard.
Looks good, a few of those fighting support cards will be rotating soon (after World Championships). Fighting Stadium, focus sash and Korrina will be gone from standard format.

Velcro Fly

Have always loved collecting cards and I was hard into pokemon card collecting back in the day. All of these look so good I almost feel like collecting them again.

Anony

i have 2 tradable vs seeker and 2 locked ones
seems like it's a hot item for trading
seeing as to i have 2 locked already, should i just trade the other 2?
seems like i can get a booster for it

MacAttack

Most decks in the current format run 4 vs seekers. Once you get more than 4 I'd trade them if you can get something for them.

Card Boy

Banned

Vs Seekers go for like 50 AUD average IRL. It's worth like 9-10 boosters.

Pachimari

JebaćBiedę;212448100 said:
Collection, one of the top bars in the main menu. And then go to Packs.
Thank you, I'll take a look.

[edit] Oh wow, I have 5 packs to open. I have so many cards it's unbelievable.

Anyone playing online, feel free to use my code for a Steam Siege booster. Quote to reveal.

I would like to have this.

[edit] Never mind. I can't redeem codes apparently. Why is that?

I also feel like I'm not good at building a competent deck. And I have more than a 100 Pokemon cards.

dc89

Ok here are the more interesting (to me anyway) cards in my quite small collection. Like I said yesterday, I prefer the Wizards of The Coast cards to the modern cards for a number of reasons; I prefer the Pokemon, the artwork and the overall quality of the card. I'm a bit random with what I have collected, I just collect what I like - I'm not too fussed about completing an entire set but I guess I can always add to by purchasing singles.

Back in the day I collected the Base, Jungle & Fossil only.
Where possible I have kept the actual booster pack wrapping - the amount of detail on the earlier packs makes it well worth opening as carefully as possible as to not damage the great designs.
Apologies for the iPhone pics, quick and dirty photoshoot.

Base Set

Like many other kids my age, I collected Base Set when they were released. I got a couple of packs a week with my pocket money and cherished every card I got, be it a Charizard or a Pidgey.
I don't have any of the my original collection left behind, I don't know where any of them are including the Charizard. :(

tOw8fRA.jpg

The only two Base Set cards I own. Raichu is a boss - I picked these up as singles from eBay for fairly cheap.

Team Rocket

I gave up collecting before these cards released, so everything below I have picked up in the last few years. Some of my favourite cards are part of this set, the art work is just so good.

OKzegFk.jpg

sP43JzA.jpg

4kIFgrq.jpg

I have 6 packs in total but only photographed 5, as one of the 1st Edition packs is a duplicate pack art wise. I love the pack art, you can just about make out Meowth's eyes peeking over the 'Trading Card Game' banner.

jHWqZcP.jpg

bIGhvfl.jpg

I love the holographic detail on the Dark Blastoise

o4W86VS.jpg

If only they were holographic cards

Wo54t2R.jpg

LFii4cD.jpg

JYXkxbm.jpg

I love the varied art style in this set, from the sinister look of Slowbro to other cards which are very cartoonish - I think it sums up Team Rocket.

Gym Heroes & Gym Challenge

These two are quite possibly my favourite sets, the original Pokemon and their trainers all on one card. The trainer portrait on the bottom right of the card just adds so much character.

0HCQC0F.jpg

t1NEhf9.jpg

WOfKatT.jpg

4c9KGoY.jpg

Each set had 4 individual pack arts, one for each Gym Leader. Gym Heroes - Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge & Erika. Gym Challenge - Koga, Sabrina, Blaine & Geovani. I prefer the Heroes pack art to Challenge due to the colours used.

IlGK3d1.jpg

gCjFwzp.jpg

7Nu5nOb.jpg

Pikachu featured in both sets with equally as cool art work. A close up of the portraits on the cards. I also really like some of the trainer cards in these sets, such as the one pictured.

2OWsHtm.jpg

qNaZ0Zg.jpg

ZxoZh0B.jpg

TlDpa2q.jpg

These are the holographic cards I have from the sets. Blaine's Arcanine was a single I picked up from eBay, the others came from the booster packs pictured above. I'm definitely going to pick some more holographic cards up as singles.
Again, the holographic is incredibly detailed and very shiny. I've done my best to capture as much detail as possible with my phones camera.

Neo Genesis / Gold, Silver, To a New World

Neo Genesis is called Gold, Silver, To a New World in Japan. Gen II is my favourite generation of Pokemon to date, so it kinda makes the Neo sets my favourite as it blends the original Pokemon with Gen II. The best thing about the Japanese set is that every booster pack guarantees you a rare holographic card.
The later Neo sets introduced Shining Pokemon cards.

Currently got my eyes on a few more Japanese Neo series packs on eBay, but they're pretty expensive at £10 per pack on average. UK packs cost double or triple that. I'll get round to picking up some of the cards I want as singles at some point.

gR5T1DI.jpg

The Japanese longer pack is cool. Holographic Steelix which is in top condition, however, I think it's printed slightly to the left so I have to be honest and say it's not mint.

8pBtAom.jpg

The rear of the packs also feature some new Pokemon.

HeartGold & SoulSilver / HeartGold Collection

Some more Gen II stuff here and again it's Japanese. The Japanese release of this set was separated into two 70 card sets called 'HeartGold Collection' and 'SoulSilver Collection' where the western release was a combined 123 card set.

I may be mistaken but I think each booster pack guarantees one rare Holo and one reverse holo card.

8H2LB5z.jpg

Again we've got the longer pack wrapping with this set and some cool artwork on the front. The back is incredibly boring so no photo of that.

24A0uuj.jpg

The holo cards from the packs. I think the Donphan is the Pokemon Prime version of the card but I am not too sure.

O8E8XCE.jpg

iWJlb7I.jpg

Again the holographic cards are super cool - especially the Slowking.

Primal Clash & Flashfire

Not got much to show here at all apart from the two cards below.

wZ2OVXh.jpg

Rellik

Team Rocket was/is my favourite and I still have the full collection somewhere. My fav of that collection was definitely Dark Raichu. Took me a long time to get back then too.

Dark Blastoise holo was pretty sweet too.

dc89

Team Rocket was/is my favourite and I still have the full collection somewhere. My fav of that collection was definitely Dark Raichu. Took me a long time to get back then too.

Dark Raichu. Need.

Velcro Fly

Team Rocket set was so good. So many new takes on the gen 1 pokemon

I was really mad that the second TCG gameboy game never got released here since at the time I enjoyed playing the game but never had anyone to play with. I even played the original game on the VC earlier this year and it was fun using the old Haymaker deck with Hitmonchan/Scyther/Electabuzz to just roll the entire game.

I really wouldn't know where to look for my old Base/Jungle/Fossil cards though. I know I had quite a lot of them. Basically any disposable income that 12 year old me got went to the corner store to buy a $5 or $6 pack of cards.

I've been debating all day about buying a box of the newest set that just released just for the fun of opening packs and putting them in sleeves and a binder and maybe tracking down a full set. Basically zero interest in actually playing the game though.

I will never forget though buying a pack of the base set and walking outside the shop to open it, only to find CHARIZARD in the pack. I run back inside to show the shop owner and he offered to buy it from me for like $40 or something and I of course said no. It was just a good feel to pull something that everyone wanted out of a pack.

Team Rocket set by far had the best artwork in the series, even the Sugimori stock cards looked good.

What's funny about Dark Raichu is that it may have been the beginning of the end for Wizards. They didn't want Wizards to be making their own cards and were mostly against it but eventually gave in, causing Dark Raichu to randomly show up in the Japanese equivalent of Neo Discovery and was probably the reason Neo Revelation had a Dark Pokemon stadium card and Neo Destiny brought Dark Pokemon back.

Wizards later tried again to make their own cards, even getting in talks with some fake card creators on the internet, but by this point they were still way behind the Japanese releases and wanted even more sets between Skyridge and Ruby and Sapphire. To make room for these theoretical sets they even merged e sets 2/3 and 4/5 resulting in a very limited launch for 180-ish card sets, making them super rare later on. Nintendo, despite initially giving the go-ahead, finally got fed up and just turned the series over to PUSA (previous name for TCPi). As a result, a third reprint set focusing on Gym Heroes to the Neo sets (Legendary Collection 2) and the set of cards they intended to make themselves combined with the Vending series (Jamboree) were canceled. It's a shame Jamboree never saw the light of day, but at least during this period we finally got the Southern Islands promos.

Top Bottom