• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maka Wuhu is ruining Mario Kart 7.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This game is hard enough to get eight friends playing at once, so I'm almost always forced to play Worldwide with random people. Without fail there's always at least two or three people who pick Maka Wuhu so they can pull off the crazy glitch and try to earn some easy points.

Of course, at this point, everyone already knows the exploit, so there's no real advantage for the people choosing that track over and over... But that's still exactly what they do. They choose Maka Wuhu every damn time, and it's not even about the glitch - it just sucks playing the same track over and over again.

Why isn't Nintendo patching this? Is that even possible? Anyone else getting hit by Maka Wuhu-ers over and over?

Haunted

I was very confused until I understood that you are referring to the 3DS game. Thread title made me think you were talking about the franchise.

An explanation of the issue with Mario Kart 3DS for those who might not have it would be appreciated.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Nintendo remains dedicated to a lackluster online presence. I love Mario Kart 7 - aside from its awful unlock system, it has fantastic course selection. But I will not be surprised at all when the game remains unpatched. Remember the Zelda game breaking bug and how they had to hack around that? They have zero interest in making fixes easy to assemble and distribute.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I was very confused until I understood that you are referring to the 3DS game. Thread title made me think you were talking about the franchise.

An explanation of the issue with Mario Kart 3DS for those who might not have it would be appreciated.

Edited.

Thankfully most of the worldwide games I've played with friends have had few people who pick and exploit the track. When it does happen, it's usually only one or two people so it's not so bad. I just pretend they aren't there and shoot for whatever the best position left is.

Without a doubt it is a problem though. I'd be nice to see a fix down the line.

So... what's the glitch?

Around the second lap marker, people can turn into a ditch that, when taken back up by a lakitu, puts them about a lap ahead of everyone else.

Gravijah

it doesn't pop up that often for me, thankfully.

edit: what vr level are you at? i find that a lot of new players abuse the stage, but when you're at a high level not as many people pick it.

aeolist

Banned

Nintendo has responded to an email regarding Maka Wuhu:
Hello,

Thanks for your patience in waiting for a response during this busy time of year. We are aware that it is possible to navigate a certain part of the track in Wuhu Island in a way that allows a large part of the course to be bypassed. There are no plans to update the game to remove this shortcut as doing so would create an unfair advantage for the users of the original release of the game. Rest assured your comments have been added to our records for Mario Kart 7.

Sincerely,

Buddy Roemer
Nintendo of America Inc.

Wow that sucks

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
There are no plans to update the game to remove this shortcut as doing so would create an unfair advantage for the users of the original release of the game.

I am trying to wrap my head around this statement and it still doesn't make any sense.

fernoca

Nintendo remains dedicated to a lackluster online presence. I love Mario Kart 7 - aside from its awful unlock system, it has fantastic course selection. But I will not be surprised at all when the game remains unpatched. Remember the Zelda game breaking bug and how they had to hack around that? They have zero interest in making fixes easy to assemble and distribute.
Online aspects has improved, so who knows.
The Zelda bug was relatively easy to fix (though is not out in the US yet).:
1. Download the channel
2. Open the channel
3. Save-data fixed
On the Wii they had no other way, since Zelda had no online-hook to get players into getting online and download a patch automatically.

Mario Kart 7 can technically be patched, they just haven't done so yet. The game has been out around a month; so guess that if things remain the same in 3..yeah, there's no interest. :p

Dacvak

it doesn't pop up that often for me, thankfully.

edit: what vr level are you at? i find that a lot of new players abuse the stage, but when you're at a high level not as many people pick it up.

Maybe 2500ish? Happens so freaking often. Is the GAF community still populated? Guess I could just play there.

God Nintendo is so behind the times. This is a LEGITIMATE reason for having post game patches, one which is easily missed in testing, and they still don't embrace it.

Such terrible online entrepreneurs.

No plans to update the game? Is the guy talking about not releasing a retail v1.1 of the game - hence the comment about the "original release" of the game? Or is he completely ruling out a patch that would apply to all copies of the game?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I am trying to wrap my head around this statement and it still doesn't make any sense.
He's supposedly talking about fixing the shortcut in later reprints of the game. Which doesn't bode well for games being able to receive patches on the 3DS.

Haunted

I'm not really seeing a big difference between this shortcut and past shortcuts in Mario Kart games (Rainbow Road, Wario Stadium etc etc), to be honest.

At least it's not snaking.

DR2K

Banned
I've run into it a handful of times. Found out the hard way. I can't believe Nintendo can't patch their games in 2012. What was the point in expanding the online?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Sadly, it's not that Nintendo is ignorant about patching games, but more that they're extremely resistant to changing the philosophy of their prior business models. They prefer to try and make "evergreen" games that are self contained, fixed, and sell in their original state for years. They see patching or updating the game as introducing the potential for disparity and consumer confusion if all versions of the product do not behave the same way or have the same features.

One can see the method to their madness but reality has left them behind... the average consumer does now understand the concept of software updates thanks to the spread of smartphones and tablets. It is now commonplace to deal with patches and updates for applications that change features. It is no longer "hardcore" or tech.

Hell, "casual" users now know enough to be able to request patches or updates to fix problems when posting reviews of apps to the Apple appstore.

Nintendo seems as if they'll remain resistant to this to the bitter end.

Ironically I can actually see one point in favor of them remaining patch-resistant: Nintendo fans can be so crazy, that if it WAS taken for granted that games could be completely overhauled via patching, you'd probably see no END of bitching and whining about every single thing in the game being changed because it was all broken and sucked.

If Skyward Sword had been released on a 360-style console, you'd likely see nothing but every thread on the internet related to the game ruined by hoards of fans screaming that Nintendo had to patch the motion controls out RIGHT NOW, etc etc.

Dacvak

I'm not really seeing a big difference between this shortcut and past shortcuts in Mario Kart games (Rainbow Road, Wario Stadium etc etc), to be honest.

At least it's not snaking.

The difference is this is online. I can't smack a guy in the head for cheating over the Internet.

Also, this cheat is REALLY easy to do.

Vinci

Danish
He's supposedly talking about fixing the shortcut in later reprints of the game. Which doesn't bode well for games being able to receive patches on the 3DS.

That... that can't be right. They finally got their act together with online, or at least have made great strides with MK7, they can't not have patching...

Negator

This is kind of ridiculous. Why not patch every game that connects to Nintendo servers so that its required to play online?

fernoca

I don't understand this. It can't be that the 3DS doesn't support game patching? Not even Nintendo would do that.

Would they?
Is customer support, so while that rep..represents the company; he/she may not be aware of the matter been discussed.
Is like that guy that recently emailed Sega about SOPA support, and the rep responded with instructions on how to reset the system/computer to "fix SOPA"; since that was what "caused SOPA".

3DS can be patched either by actual patches, or through other hooks like:
-Download new data when the game is online
-Spotpass
-New channel download/fix (ala Zelda Skyward Sword)

Whether they decide to do so or not ,doesn't mean that the system is not capable of doing it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Oh wow. I thought the 3DS does support patching?

What in the world Nintendo, holy crap.

aeolist

Banned
I don't understand this. It can't be that the 3DS doesn't support game patching? Not even Nintendo would do that.

Would they?
Probably the game would have to specifically support it.

Capcom had this problem with SFIV. They didn't make the original version patch-capable and so they had to release Super on disc with no download option.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I kinda regret playing a lot of local MP up until this point while largely ignoring online. How's GAF community, still as active?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Games can get patches as long as they're made for it, that's how it is for every system that doesn't actually install game data somewhere it can be easily overwritten by any number of methods, built in or otherwise. If the original code doesn't tell the system to at any time look somewhere in the system's own memory for newer versions of any given game file then how would you apply a patch to it with the cartridges themselves unable to be overwritten? It's not a limitation with 3DS hardware or 3DS software, it's that they, as usual, probably didn't consider such incidents in order to make MK7 accept patches of this sort.

aeolist

Banned
Releasing what will probably be your biggest multiplayer game for the console lifespan without patch support is monumentally stupid.

For a company that releases such incredible MP games this is just frustrating.

I think there's an unspoken rule where if one dude is spamming the Wuhu courses, the rest of the racers make his life a living hell. By that I mean I hope I'm not the only one unleashing fury onto spammers~

Ironically the only times I experienced this was with gaffers. I haven't played with the community for weeks now, so maybe those few people stopped doing it.

Haunted

If Nintendo fixes/patches something it should be the map voting system so people can't spam the same track over and over.

I think that shortcut's fine, finding these and pulling them off has always been a fun part of Mario Kart.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It's not a limitation with 3DS hardware or 3DS software, it's that they, as usual, probably didn't consider such incidents in order to make MK7 accept patches of this sort.

Any game that has online must be in a patchable condition.

Period.

Top Bottom