• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Shout out to the last OT. I got unjuniored and made wall of shame...good times.

Back to business tho...I'm running out of time to hit plat. Gotta step my game up I reckon.

After today I have the rest of the week off and I plan on streaming a lot of Overwatch.

I'm creeping up on Top500 on PSN, so it should be a decent show.

I've also added Reaper to my list of playables. So you'll likely see me playing these characters:

Reaper
Tracer
Mei
Bastion
Roadhog
Zarya
Zenyatta
Ana

Cappa

Banned
I am forever stuck in 2600s... anytime I come close to breaking my season high SR of 2679, I lose, every single time.

Who are your mainstays?

I may watch so I can pick up some tips.

I just squeezed those into an edit above. This may be better though:

lX8rWLU.png

komaruR

To me, if they just make her turrets do more damage again it will be fine. They nerferd her damage, then they started saying: she needs a new use.

If Symmetry will become a slow tank with a mobile teleport on her back she will be viable on attack too. Do it.

I think she's support because it's almost like half a ressurection for your entire team once you have your teleport up. You can't heal, but your team can sure as fuck get back into the fight quickly.

The game is full of Salt, Sombra will just be on of many. :(

On a competent team, you can takeout the teleporter quickly. I mean you have to be deaf not to hear the damn thing and theirs a sound cue everytime Symmetra puts it up. Im not sure theres much they can do where either she is OP or unplayable. Maybe increasing the range of her photon gun or something.

I think, in theory, Symmetra can be really good but right now shes more of a handicap to any team that picks her especially if youre playing in higher SR levels...

I just find symmetra rely too much on the sentries and not enough on the primary and secondary. She's a handicap to the team because her primary requires close range but then she's not mobile + a bit lower hp side that gets killed easily. Then her secondary require a bit of charge time to even be damaging but that orb thingy travels so slow that anyone could dodge it.

Anbec7

I wonder if Mercy heals you while being Sombra and Invisible does it show? I mean it would be weird to have a beam pointing at nothing lol

Blues1990

Lots of people will call her OP in the beginning, but I hope if they nerfed her, they won't hit her hard.
Like with Ana, Sombra will probably go through a few changes until they hit that sweet spot with her. Also, people will learn to adjust to her antics and counter accordingly.

Tovarisc

I wonder if Mercy heals you while being Sombra and Invisible does it show? I mean it would be weird to have a beam pointing at nothing lol

Mercy can target and heal cloaked Sombra. To enemy team it looks like that Mercy isn't doing anything.

Overbuff.com reported that the enemy team does not see Mercy with a beam at all, but your teammates will see it.

This is still a tell as if you ever see a Mercy in a group of people but doesn't have a beam coming out of her, chances are Sombra is nearby.

Like with Ana, Sombra will probably go through a few changes until they hit that sweet spot with her. Also, people will learn to adjust to her antics and counter accordingly.

Yeah, I think right now everyone is seeing her abilities and thinking "in theory" about how OP she is. However I definitely think there's going to be a high skill curve with her that not everyone is going to be able to master, so there will be a lot of Sombra mains who function like Genji/Hanzo mains - useless in lower levels but still a good character, and downright dangerous in pro hands.

As she stands right now I think she'll definitely shake up the pro meta to the point where she is a mainstay like Lucio or Ana. I kind of want her to be introduced as close to her current iteration as possible just to see some new strategies in the pro scene.

Blues1990

Overbuff.com reported that the enemy team does not see Mercy with a beam at all, but your teammates will see it.

This is still a tell as if you ever see a Mercy in a group of people but doesn't have a beam coming out of her, chances are Sombra is nearby.
That's interesting to know, especially when Mercy can start to "fly" on her own to an unidentified target.

Yea, Reddit (grain of salt) seems to agree with Antitrop

When This Post Is 8 Hours Old (Roughly) We Will Get Sombra.
Submitted 4 hours ago * by Woahhhhthere
Blizzard said monday and that's the usual patch time
Edit: paraphrasing: Jeff said she will be put on PTR Monday, and only Tuesday if they're hungover. If anyone has the link to this, send it to me pls

Tovarisc

Ok so, if she hits PTR today...how long do we think it takes for her to drop on console?

2 weeks?

They have already locked release date for Sombra + Arcade, thanks to console patch certing process. I imagine we get her to PTR now and to Live next Tuesday, 15th. Would be that much promised mid-November patch.

Ok so, if she hits PTR today...how long do we think it takes for her to drop on console?

2 weeks?
I think she'll be live on all platforms sometime next week.
They have already locked release date from Sombra + Arcade, thanks to console patch certing process. I imagine we get her to PTR now and to Live next Tuesday, 15th. Would be that much promised mid-November patch.
If all of that comes at once (including Symmetra) lawd, that's a big patch.

can't wait to hear impressions from all you guys about how she feels on PTR. It'd be funny if my fears ended up being completely wrong.

My best guess would be that Sombra leaves PTR after the end of season 2. Season 2 ends on November 24th which would be about two weeks from today. That would give one full week on live before the launch of season 3 and avoid any potential issues/complaints like they had with dropping Ana in the middle of a competitive season.

Blues1990

They have already locked release date from Sombra + Arcade, thanks to console patch certing process. I imagine we get her to PTR now and to Live next Tuesday, 15th. Would be that much promised mid-November patch.
I can't speak for everyone, but I'm really stoaked to see what QOL changes they will give to Symmetra. Hope they will give her a trailer that highlights this.

Got some questions for any of you Tracer experts (PS4 here)

- How do you deal with Roadhog? You've got a 900 HP hero (Assuming he will heal mid fight) who can hook you and one shot you on a fairly low cooldown. Any tips?

- Any tips for dealing with Junkrat? His grenades can nearly one shot you and his trap is basically death.

- Any tips in general? I'm trying to get better with a DPS hero and I've always enjoyed playing Tracer at lower levels. At higher skill levels though, Im getting creamed.

Tovarisc

My best guess would be that Sombra leaves PTR after the end of season 2. Season 2 ends on November 24th which would be about two weeks from today. That would give one full week on live before the launch of season 3 and avoid any potential issues/complaints like they had with dropping Ana in the middle of a competitive season.

Dropping Sombra in week before season ends wouldn't have any meaningful impact of SR's. At high level SR people will play out last week with locked down meta and lower tiers play almost what ever anyways, but even then having games with bad to okay Sombra's at both sides is like having Hanzo. You can live with it.

Skii

- How do you deal with Roadhog? You've got a 900 HP hero (Assuming he will heal mid fight) who can hook you and one shot you on a fairly low cooldown. Any tips?

- Any tips for dealing with Junkrat? His grenades can nearly one shot you and his trap is basically death.

- Any tips in general? I'm trying to get better with a DPS hero and I've always enjoyed playing Tracer at lower levels. At higher skill levels though, Im getting creamed.

I don't play Tracer too much but your job is really to annoy and clean up. You can target Roadhog to build ult charge but you shouldn't really be fighting him unless you have cover and can bait his hook.

Dealing with Junkrat is fairly easy as long as you move unpredictably. Blink through Junkrat forcing him to turn. It's a lot harder to track Tracer on PS4 so it should give you a better chance.

Good tip with Tracer is always save one blink when playing offensive so you can use it defensively. Don't use recall if you can blink to a health kit. Exploit the fact that it's hard to track on consoles and be extremely unpredictable by blinking through characters. And just target supports like Zenyatta/Ana/Lucio/Mercy. It's your job to get rid of one of them as the fight starts to give your team an advantage.

Roadhog and Tracer sort of counter eachother. Always be looking out for the hook, but if he doesn't have it then he becomes nothing but a giant ult battery. The second you see him (and he sees you) blink to the side or backwards if you have enough space, the second you see that hook miss then get in there and just headshot him to death, you can be in close proximity and he really can't do anything about it if you stay mobile. Be careful because both of his firing modes can still one shot you. And don't stick a pulse bomb on him unless you know you already used his vape.

Junkrat is easily my least liked hero to play against as Tracer. Just avoid his spam areas and be on the lookout for the trap. You can still destroy him if you get the jump on him, but otherwise I'd just say avoid those areas of the battlefield. Fuck Junkrat.

The main tip I always give is not to just blink directly into battle and then have nothing left. Always start a fight with at least two blinks and a recall. Other than that it's really just a practice character. Unless you have any more specific questions. Good luck! Tracer is my absolute favorite character, total blast to play.

If you have engaged Roadhog and he is alone, when he goes to use his heal, walk right up to him and land every headshot possible. You'll likely undo the entire heal between the bonus damage and lack of falloff damage.

If you ever get hooked by Roadhog, hold your recall button down, don't spam it. Holding it down means it will activate automatically as soon as possible. spamming technically means you could be hitting the button 100-200ms to late. You can also hold down your blink+direction as well.

As with several targets, never engage Junkrat if Junkrat is aware of you, unless the Junkrat only has ~100hp. Same with Hanzo and Mei and plenty of others.

My main thing with Tracer is don't underestimate your falloff damage. Yes you don't do a lot of damage to characters at range, but even adding an extra 40dmg to an enemy Genji might just be enough for a teammate to land a kill.

Sometimes harrassing healings is actually more valuable than just kill them. If the enemy team has a mad Mercy, let her be bad. If you just kill her over and over again, she's going to switch to a different healer, and maybe be better. Learn to time when to kill the target, not just kill her ASAP.

Vitanimus

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm really stoaked to see what QOL changes they will give to Symmetra. Hope they will give her a trailer that highlights this.

Same. Was super disappointed to basically here nothing about her upcoming changes from Blizzcon besides an obvious "she'll be on PTR later this year".

Tovarisc

Same. Was super disappointed to basically here nothing about her upcoming changes from Blizzcon besides an obvious "she'll be on PTR later this year".

Apparently they decided to redesign her more extensively than original intent was so deployment of her to PTR is getting pushed.

I don't play Tracer too much but your job is really to annoy and clean up. You can target Roadhog to build ult charge but you shouldn't really be fighting him unless you have cover and can bait his hook.

Dealing with Junkrat is fairly easy as long as you move unpredictably. Blink through Junkrat forcing him to turn. It's a lot harder to track Tracer on PS4 so it should give you a better chance.

Good tip with Tracer is always save one blink when playing offensive so you can use it defensively. Don't use recall if you can blink to a health kit. Exploit the fact that it's hard to track on consoles and be extremely unpredictable by blinking through characters. And just target supports like Zenyatta/Ana/Lucio/Mercy. It's your job to get rid of one of them as the fight starts to give your team an advantage.

Roadhog and Tracer sort of counter eachother. Always be looking out for the hook, but if he doesn't have it then he becomes nothing but a giant ult battery. The second you see him (and he sees you) blink to the side or backwards if you have enough space, the second you see that hook miss then get in there and just headshot him to death, you can be in close proximity and he really can't do anything about it if you stay mobile. Be careful because both of his firing modes can still one shot you. And don't stick a pulse bomb on him unless you know you already used his vape.

Junkrat is easily my least liked hero to play against as Tracer. Just avoid his spam areas and be on the lookout for the trap. You can still destroy him if you get the jump on him, but otherwise I'd just say avoid those areas of the battlefield. Fuck Junkrat.

The main tip I always give is not to just blink directly into battle and then have nothing left. Always start a fight with at least two blinks and a recall. Other than that it's really just a practice character. Unless you have any more specific questions. Good luck! Tracer is my absolute favorite character, total blast to play.

If you have engaged Roadhog and he is alone, when he goes to use his heal, walk right up to him and land every headshot possible. You'll likely undo the entire heal between the bonus damage and lack of falloff damage.

If you ever get hooked by Roadhog, hold your recall button down, don't spam it. Holding it down means it will activate automatically as soon as possible. spamming technically means you could be hitting the button 100-200ms to late. You can also hold down your blink+direction as well.

As with several targets, never engage Junkrat if Junkrat is aware of you, unless the Junkrat only has ~100hp. Same with Hanzo and Mei and plenty of others.

My main thing with Tracer is don't underestimate your falloff damage. Yes you don't do a lot of damage to characters at range, but even adding an extra 40dmg to an enemy Genji might just be enough for a teammate to land a kill.

Sometimes harrassing healings is actually more valuable than just kill them. If the enemy team has a mad Mercy, let her be bad. If you just kill her over and over again, she's going to switch to a different healer, and maybe be better. Learn to time when to kill the target, not just kill her ASAP.

Lots of good tips thanks guys, I'll try her out more for sure. As it stands now I'm only good with Tanks and heals, so when they get insta locked I'm kinda left in the dust.

I think my biggest problem with Tracer is dealing with people who actually spot me. But based on your comments, it looks like I just need to be a bit more conservative with my cds.

I don't play Tracer a ton, but I do use her more than most other Offense DPSes. Here's my advice:

-Don't challenge Roadhog by yourself. As Tracer you shouldn't be targeting full HP tanks by yourself. Find and eliminate squishies, or go after a Roadhog that's already used his heal and is dealing with other people. She can output a lot of damage but she is not a tank buster like Reaper.

-Get Junkrat by surprise. As someone who plays a lot of Junkrat, the most efficient Tracer is one who kills Junkrat before he knows you're there. If he sees you coming, you're going to get a concussion mine to the face.

-Always be aware of your HP. Playing Tracer helped me in that aspect with other heroes, because she is the one you need to pay attention to the most. As soon as you hear her audio cue for being hurt, rewind or blink the hell out of there. If you're not at full HP, get the hell out of dodge. Prolonged fights are only going to go bad for you unless you're an elite Tracer.

-Try to be unpredictable with your blinks. The more the enemy has to turn and look for you, the better your chances are.

I always assume roadhog is going to hook me as soon as he sees me so i either dash or recall out and it seems atleast 8/10 im right.
Generally you get a feel for when a roadhog will hook like theyll stare you down going side to side so i pretty much bait the hook same thing with Genji

I always try to go into engagements with atleast 2 dashes for tracer.

Blues1990

StreetPig doesn't exactly have a hard-counter. Reaper is your best bet for a weak counter; provided his wraith form is off cooldown, he can finish off a weakened HighwaySwine without much fuss. Mei's invincibility in Cryo-Freeze easily foils SidewalkPigglet's standard Chain Hook combo, and she can run rings around him with Endothermic Blaster. She also has better dueling potential at medium range with Endothermic Blaster's secondary fire. (She can get one-shotted if being careless.)

When played well, both Blink and Recall can be used for Tracer to escape from LowriseHam's main combo, and her small hitbox makes getting a meatshot with Scrap Gun's primary fire challenging at the best of times. Out flank and harass that fat fuck, & he will go down.

Pharah is Junkrat's main counter. She's nearly impossible to hit with Frag Launcher while in the air, and the splash damage from her rockets will regularly destroy both Concussion Mine and Steel Trap. She can avoid RIP-Tire easily, and even kill it before it has a chance to get to her team. Reinhardt's fire strike can one-shot the tire.

As for overall advice, go to the practice range to get efficient with landing headshots. Single out targets from the main group (ideally healers or a tank) and never be afraid to retreat when low on health. Really, Tracer can quickly traverse a map with the use of Blink to outflank her enemies, deal damage to them, and then retreat before they have a chance to respond.

Apathy

So this was a wtf moment today.

I got hooked, and just as I did the hog got stunned by a mccree on my team. Yay you think right, he saved me.

NOOOOOPE

The hog, while stunned, still pulled me in. Then the kill cam from his point of view showed exactly the same, hooking me, getting stunned and in that stun phased i was dragged to him with no chain on me (cause he got stunned).

We were both like, "that was wrong in so many ways"

To add to the Tracer v Roadhog, if you're initiating, try to have at least 2 blinks on hand.

Headshots, headshots, headshots.

Don't be afraid to just run away if you feel like he's outplaying you and his hook is about to come back off of CD. You can always catch him later with a bit of health missing and get your revenge. Sticking around for the 2nd hook can be bad news.

Don't pulse bomb him when he starts to vape just because it's an easy target. Your headshots will negate most of the heal and you can always tack the pulse bomb at the end for a kill.

Junkrat can be a pain. Get the jump or avoid him, but take comfort in the fact that Genji can't dash through his traps anymore.

Lots of good tips thanks guys, I'll try her out more for sure. As it stands now I'm only good with Tanks and heals, so when they get insta locked I'm kinda left in the dust.

I think my biggest problem with Tracer is dealing with people who actually spot me. But based on your comments, it looks like I just need to be a bit more conservative with my cds.

From my experience, it's always dps first lol. Every. Single. Time.

I rarely play Tracer outside of KOTH, but what I usually do is go behind the enemy and start targeting them one by one until I kill them, starting with the healers (Zen first) and Zarya. I try not to drop my targets unless someone else directly targets me.

It's very important that you take your time and don't just waste your blinks to get to your targets faster. If you start the fight with only one blink left you're probably screwed and will have to recall without getting anything done.

If you ever get hooked by Roadhog, hold your recall button down, don't spam it. Holding it down means it will activate automatically as soon as possible. spamming technically means you could be hitting the button 100-200ms to late.

And thank you for this :)

From my experience, it's always dps first lol. Every. Single. Time.

I rarely play Tracer outside of KOTH, but what I usually do is go behind the enemy and start targeting them one by one until I kill them, starting with the healers (Zen first) and Zarya. I try not to drop my targets unless someone else directly targets me.

It's very important that you take your time and don't just waste your blinks to get to your targets faster. If you start the fight with only one blink left you're probably screwed and will have to recall without getting anything done.

It's rare. but it does happen sometimes. And when it does, it's usually a loss :/

Blues1990

So this was a wtf moment today.

I got hooked, and just as I did the hog got stunned by a mccree on my team. Yay you think right, he saved me.

NOOOOOPE

The hog, while stunned, still pulled me in. Then the kill cam from his point of view showed exactly the same, hooking me, getting stunned and in that stun phased i was dragged to him with no chain on me (cause he got stunned).

We were both like, "that was wrong in so many ways"

I didn't think that could be possible. The scorcery of Roadhog's chain hook, I guess.

Whatever they do to Symmetra, I hope they don't Nerf/change how her gun works.
Her primary fire is fine as is, so I think they will go and retool her alt-fire.

It's rare. but it does happen sometimes. And when it does, it's usually a loss :/
I'I find that a lot of people will wait until the last second before insta-lock a hero, so that they can either adjust or change what the team needs or what others have selected. When I pick Reinhardt, someone will usually select Ana and/or Zenyatta.

This applies to a lot situations, really.

Like, did you just get rezzed as Mercy and you're trying to activate your deathblossom within all that chaos? Hold that shit down, don't spam it.

Has Mei frozen you, and you're trying to escape? Hold that shade form ability down.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Her primary fire is fine as is, so I think they will go and retool her alt-fire.

I think Blizzard's main priority with her redesign is making her less of a Point A defense character. Her gun has nothing to do with this problem. So it doesn't need to be changed. If anything, I think they will redesign her kit so that the teleporter is less important or has greater utility.

This applies to a lot situations, really.

Like, did you just get rezzed as Mercy and you're trying to activate your deathblossom within all that chaos? Hold that shit down, don't spam it.

Has Mei frozen you, and you're trying to escape? Hold that shade form ability down.

Thx. I don't usually spam, but I tend to click only when I know it's going to work and with that I'm definitely wasting time that could've saved me sometimes.

It's so fucking stupid that you can contest the payload on Route 66 by simply camping on the gas station rooftop corner and crouching, while being protected on both sides by indestructible barriers.

How is it not considered glitching/abusing game mechanics or something ?

It's so fucking stupid that you can contest the payload on Route 66 by simply camping on the gas station rooftop corner and crouching, while being protected on both sides by indestructible barriers.

How is it not considered glitching/abusing game mechanics or something ?
It's only a problem if your team doesn't know about the spot. You obviously do, so if someone wants to use it then all you have to do is win a 6v5 team fight, then go kill them.

xaosslug

never judge ur team's ability based on composition... I just had a match on King's Row defense w/ (me the only tank, D.Va) a Hanzo + Torb + Ana (only healer) and in my head I had already given up... and then when I seen't the enemy was running Rein + Zen + Lucio I was like 'FUUUUUU' but, lmao, SOMEhow we pulled out a win. xD

Top Bottom