• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weakest playable character in an RPG that isn't a joke character?

Morgana is a useless cat, Ryuji were right because there's nothing Makoto can't do better.

Let's compare:

1. Salvation vs Mediarahan, at this point, almost all negative ailments will be cured by your teammates free due to Social Link. Salvation also costs more MP than Mediarahan hence there's no point in choosing Salvation to Mediarahan.
2. Samarecarm, revive skill is almost always a waste in SMT, you better save that skill slot and use item instead.
3. Makoto has Marakukaja.
4. Makoto has better damage spell.
5. Makoto hit harder than Morgana.
6. Makoto strongest gun has +10 stats which is the best in the game, even Joker strongest gun cannot compare.
7. Morgana equip sucks ass because he's a cat, hence his armor option is limited.
8. Morgana has Miracle punch which is pretty useless late game, you are better off with Joker special gun abilities.

That good enough for you?
Absolutely agree! I'm actually surprised so many of my friends used him.

I don't think he's the worst example of the thread title by far, but he's definitely the character who spent the least amount of time in my party. I think what saves him is that he's so good for healing you from the menu screen.

I actually thought Yusuke was also much better than Ryuji for most of the game too, but matarukaja and Power Charge really left Yusuke in the dust late game. Really, whoever gets power charge/ magic charge is immediately elevated in usefulness in SMT lmao.

"that isn't a joke character".

There are plenty of other Pokemon that weak yet aren't acknowledged by the game as being intended as such.

It isn't especially if you read the Poké Dex. Magikarp is vital to the Pokémon ecosystem because they have a high birth rate and are preyed upon by other Pokémon. Circle of life and it has a important role in it.

Ludist210

I consistently feel baffled by the people hating on Hope storywise. He is one of the few realistic child characters in JRPGs and has a solid character arc with good development. It helps that he is the best mage in the game and by extension probably the best character.
1. Best character arc? He's pissed at Snow for half the game because his mom VOLUNTEERED to help rescue the purge exiles and died in the operation. Snow didn't force her to volunteer, nor did he kill her. She fell when he couldn't rescue her in time. That's not Snow's fault or Hope's fault. It's Nora's. After he came to grips with it, his arc was pretty well done and he was a throwaway character after that.

2. Lighting is the best Ravager, Sazh is the best Synergist, and Vanille is the best Saboteur. Hope is the best Medic. He's decent at the other roles (and might possibly be the second-best Ravager), but by the time you unlock all roles for all characters, it's pretty negligible, honestly.

PK Gaming

In terms of what?

Magic damage and support (once he gets Haste he becomes amazing). There's a reason why Light / Fang / Hope is the standard team set up in the end endgame.

Maybe in raw combat terms, sure, but the utility of a thief puts her ahead of a ton of units. Your team is better off fielding a non-fighter with utility over the twelfth kinda-good-fighter any day of the week.

FE has plenty of useless combat units you could list instead, though. Like Clive in Echoes, for a recent example, or to stick with FE6, Wendy.

She is objectively outclassed by a thieves you get earlier than her and absolutely offers nothing of value to the team. Unquestionably one of the very worst units in the game, if not the series.

Amarant Coral from FF9...

i swear even that quina weird eating monster is better than him..

He's one of the top damage dealers and has amazing support in the form of Aura. Quina is top tier as well...

Morgana is a useless cat, Ryuji were right because there's nothing Makoto can't do better.

Let's compare:

1. Salvation vs Mediarahan, at this point, almost all negative ailments will be cured by your teammates free due to Social Link. Salvation also costs more MP than Mediarahan hence there's no point in choosing Salvation to Mediarahan.
2. Samarecarm, revive skill is almost always a waste in SMT, you better save that skill slot and use item instead.
3. Makoto has Marakukaja.
4. Makoto has better damage spell.
5. Makoto hit harder than Morgana.
6. Makoto strongest gun has +10 stats which is the best in the game, even Joker strongest gun cannot compare.
7. Morgana equip sucks ass because he's a cat, hence his armor option is limited.
8. Morgana has Miracle punch which is pretty useless late game, you are better off with Joker special gun abilities.

That good enough for you?

Your comparisons are honestly pretty weak considering you only factored endgame potential (and Makoto's overrated gun).

Here's the score:

1) Morgana straight up gets healing skills earlier than Makoto, making him a better support option for a while
2) Makoto gets Marakukaja in her 40s
3) Miracle Punch makes Morgana better at fighting random encounters / minibosses than Makoto

Granted, she ends up being better because the role compression is unparalleled, but even then, Morgana is more than viable as a support unit, even on Hard and spends a good portion of the game being better than her.

Even with all the duds in Fire Emblem and Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy, I'll go with a controversial pick, too - Marle from Chrono Trigger.

latest

Edit: Her design is great even if her spritework isn't, and she's outpaced by everyone else in terms of damage. Couple that with her dedicated role as healer being stepped on by heals from people with actual combat utility like Frog and Ayla, and she's only really useful for Techs and battles of attrition.

Frog is weaker. Marle's duel techs, healing (when she's the primary healer) and eventual Haste put her over what Frog can do. She isn't bad at all.

Malak in Final Fantasy Tactics.

Both Rafa and Malak are terrible in their own classes -the low damage-random hitting special attacks they have are basically useless since they hit 4 random squares out of 9 for low damage. They're also both slow and fragile.

However, Rafa has one saving grace, she has a high Faith score which makes her a pretty decent white magic user.

Malak, however, has no saving grace like this. He's worse then anyone at everything and it's even more laughable that he shares a game with final fantasy's most broken character, Cidofas Orlandu
Malak is actually stellar as a tank - his spells get stronger at low Faith (unlike most other magic in the game) so he's pretty easy to set up as basically immune to the majority of attacks in the game. Put him in a class that can equip Poles and he's set. He'll never be a offensive powerhouse on the class of Reis or Orlandeau but he's able to pump out decent versatile damage while being basically untouchable by any non-swordskill enemy.

Quina - FF9

Or maybe it was because I never really understood the blue mage stuff.
Quina actually has some of the best skills in the game like Reraise. They're actually one of the best characters but you pretty much have to use a guide to get the best skills.

Rhin from Torment: Tides of Numenera. She's a child whose main skill is hiding.

Completely useless in combat but one of the more interesting characters in the game.
Nah, Rhin's thing is using cyphers and once she gains the ability to reuse them she became a stronger damage dealer than Erritis and Matkina. I was able to beat that one
killer robot super boss
in The Bloom by just having Rhin nuke it with AoE cyphers.

Linkark07

Banned
boey-fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-4.65.jpg

Boey in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. Celica starts with Mae, Boey and, depending on the player, Genny. From those three, Boey falls behind badly from beginning till the end. There is nothing redeemable about him in terms as an unit.

And from Alm's side we have Clive

latest

It is a miracle dude was the leader of the Deliverance. He is also useless too. Easily going to the bench as soon as a player gets better unit, especially Mathilda.

There are worse also, but those two stand for being important characters, especially the latter.

People really like to pick on healers in this thread.

I'll add another: red mage from Bravely Default / Second. It has both white magic and black magic (healing and offense), but only weak forms of both. This means it's essentially useless at both in the late game.

It has some good abilities but these can be shared with other classes.

Magic damage and support (once he gets Haste he becomes amazing). There's a reason why Light / Fang / Hope is the standard team set up in the end endgame.

Yeah when he clarified he was talking about gameplay I didn't refute because I didn't disagree. Story wise and as a character Hope is an insufferable little shit tho.

Absolutely agree! I'm actually surprised so many of my friends used him.

I don't think he's the worst example of the thread title by far, but he's definitely the character who spent the least amount of time in my party. I think what saves him is that he's so good for healing you from the menu screen.

I actually thought Yusuke was also much better than Ryuji for most of the game too, but matarukaja and Power Charge really left Yusuke in the dust late game. Really, whoever gets power charge/ magic charge is immediately elevated in usefulness in SMT lmao.

I think so many people have been conditioned to always keep a dedicated healer in their party, but Persona 5 encourages you to end battles before they begin. I kept Morgana in at first, but after the seeing the light of having a 4 man wrecking crew + Morgana the menu mage, combat became a joke. Makoto/Ann + MC with healing Persona in his armory makes Morgana (mostly) unnecessary in battle. He's not BAD though.

warheat

Your comparisons are honestly pretty weak considering you only factored endgame potential (and Makoto's overrated gun).

Here's the score:

1) Morgana straight up gets healing skills earlier than Makoto, making him a better support option for a while
2) Makoto gets Marakukaja in her 40s
3) Miracle Punch makes Morgana better at fighting random encounters / minibosses than Makoto

Granted, she ends up being better because the role compression is unparalleled, but even then, Morgana is more than viable as a support unit, even on Hard and spends a good portion of the game being better than her.

Makoto is better than Morgana as soon as you get her due to Morgana very low defense because of his limited armor option and Makoto gun overrated? It's the best in the game with +10 stats, that's a fact, how's it overrated?

Relying on crit in SMT is never a good thing in my book, and choosing Dekunda and Marakukaja to Miracle Punch and Masukunda is a no brainer especially because "One More" system doesn't really punish you from missing an attack unlike "Press Turn".

Hope is hardly the weakest character, but he is pretty lacklustre on comparison to some of the others. By the end game everyone else finds their own new niche (Lightning making a surprisingly good Sentinel when evading physical attacks, Snow having incredibly quick casting speed, for example) but Hope just seems kind of inferior in most regards for what he has. His full ATB skill lacks the combo potential or the damage capacity that everyone else has, you only really use Ravagers for chaining rather than damage and he's slow for that, his physical attack damage is pretty low in comparison, and his other skills are available elsewhere throughout the team.

He's not bad, no one is, but he's hardly optimal. Like Sazh (actually slightly better) , but without being used to murder Adamantoises in the early end game.

Also, I saw someone mention Haru from P5 earlier. That's just flat out wrong, Triple Down and One Hit Kill are godly gun skills.

C.Mongler

Cyan is far more useless. Takes forever to build up his magic stats to be worthwhile as a magic user, and his Bushido attacks take far too long to charge. Dispatch is the only useful one because it's near-instant and ignores defenses.

Umaro, however, is incredibly useful in the coliseum. Give him a Ribbon and a Rage Ring and watch him dominate.

Eh, I'd have to disagree somewhat. Like I said, Umaro has instances of being a good character, like the coliseum as you stated and arguably the Cultists' Tower (though there are FAR better options), but outside that, he's kind of hot garbage.

Cyan, while still also hot garbage, has a greater utility in general, depending on how comfortable with completely breaking the game you are (and if the version you're playing allows for it). You can grind Cyan to be able to use the invisibility+X-Zone glitch just as you would anyone else, which is completely independent of his magic stats or lack thereof. In an equally broken fashion, he can also be used for

Psycho Cyan thou

Otherwise, you can play it straight and just teach him some white magic and use him as a heal/revive bucket, though at that point the strengths vs weaknesses of Umaro are kind of negligible because they're both pointless.

Widge

I always chose Aeris to join my party in Final Fantasy 7, purely because I like the character within the story.

For gameplay reasons, I quickly learn to regret it.

You can steal a really powerful staff from the train graveyard early on that makes her a great physical attacker.

A good chunk of the characters in Part I of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn end up being the weakest in the game due to their low levels and limited amount of time you get with them as playable units. There are very few that are truly worth training, those being Micaiah (because you have to), Nolan, and Jill. Everyone else is either too weak in comparison to later units of the same class or, in the case of Sothe and Nailah, already too strong (though Sothe can easily fall behind later should you entirely neglect him).

latest

I always loved Morte but i cant stand his battles skills.

Being able to piss off wizards so hard that they forget how to cast fireball and have to punch you with their noodle arms instead is pretty useful imo.

The game's narrative presents Morte as kind of a "joke character" who is a coward and useless in a fight, but actually he's a good, standard AD&D fighter with a taunt and strong resistances against slashing and piercing weapons.

PK Gaming

Makoto is better than Morgana as soon as you get her due to Morgana very low defense because of his limited armor option and Makoto gun overrated? It's the best in the game with +10 stats, that's a fact, how's it overrated?

Relying on crit in SMT is never a good thing in my book, and choosing Dekunda and Marakukaja to Miracle Punch and Masukunda is a no brainer especially because "One More" system doesn't really punish you from missing an attack unlike "Press Turn".

No she isn't.

Makoto starting skillset is pretty basic, with single target healing and buffs for support. She doesn't pick up Mediarama until level 41 an Marakukaja until level 48. Morgana's lowish defense isn't even that big of a concern in practice because you can easily mitigate it with high-end armor, even on Hard. Miracle Punch's inconsistency is also fine because you aren't punished for not critting and the reward for knocking down a miniboss is significant. Granted, it's not even that great of a skill because it's useless in boss battles, but it's still decent.

To reiterate, Makoto undeniably ends up being better, but she's the definition of a late bloomer; she only ends up outclassing Morgana once she picks up Marakukaja + Mediarama because it helps trivialize boss encounters. Meanwhile, Morgana is your goto healer for the first four dungeons. Morgana's performance in those 4 dungeons + the fact that he's still viable even after Makoto outclasses him prevents him from being a bad character.

And yes, Makoto's gun is overrated as fuck. This is a gun that can only be obtain by fusing a level 87 demon and is 100% unnecessary, and yet people genuinely use it as justification for Makoto being a good character. Absolutely ridiculous.

Peco from Breath of Fire III

He isn't bad once you level him, but you have to actually make an effort because he starts at level 1 when you obtain him.

Peco's incredible if you assign his master as Fahl from the get-go. Him joining at level 1 is a blessing in disguise for that reason and it's worth using him for that alone. Shouldn't take too long to catch him up to the rest of the party either.

Annubis

Baldur's Gate II

Nalia_Portrait_BG2.png

She's just there as a bad replacement of Imoen, and there's no reason to have her in your party unless you want to do all the side quests in chapter 2.

I guess she's not weakest as in "useless" more as in "why does this character even exist".

She's bad, but there are so little available thieves before you get Imoen back that I'd say she's the best pick of the lot as your temp thief (BG2:EE has an incredible thief available though)
As such, her existence is validated.

This guy though:
Cernd_Portrait_BG2.png

There's nothing at all you can do with him.

Shit stats (worst stats of all companions):
Strength 13
Dexterity 9
Constitution 13
Intelligence 12
Wisdom 18
Charisma 15

Shit class: Shapeshifter

He's a worst mage and fighter than the other much better druid you get 1 minute into the game.

He cannot do anything unless shapeshifted into a werewolf.

Later in the game, enemies have good enough weapons that his werewolf form magical protections won't help him and he goes down really quickly.

If that wasn't bad enough, there were plenty of bugs with him in the original version that made him even worst than how he should have been (which even then would still be the worst of the bunch)

Even in BG2:EE and mods to fix him, he's still the worst companion of them all.

Hansel

Banned
Magikarp is indeed a "joke" Pokemon. If you're saying that evolving into Gyarados negates the fact that he's a joke, then it also negates the fact that he's weak.

Sunkern has lower base stats than Magikarp (the lowest in the game), and it doesn't even evolve into anything decent.
Sunflora is too good for you.

Dark_castle

A good chunk of the characters in Part I of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn end up being the weakest in the game due to their low levels and limited amount of time you get with them as playable units. There are very few that are truly worth training, those being Micaiah (because you have to), Nolan, and Jill. Everyone else is either too weak in comparison to later units of the same class or, in the case of Sothe and Nailah, already too strong (though Sothe can easily fall behind later should you entirely neglect him).
Nah Edward, Zihark and Aran are all pretty solid too, and DB units get pretty high playtime actually, part 1 is quite long. And they got some action in part 3 too. Part 2 units are overall the weakest imo, but part 2 has the GOAT Elincia's Gambit.

Nah Edward, Zihark and Aran are all pretty solid too, and DB units get pretty high playtime actually, part 1 is quite long. And they got some action in part 3 too. Part 2 units are overall the weakest imo, but part 2 has the GOAT Elincia's Gambit.

DB units get a lot of playtime mostly because you have no other choice for large portions of the game

warheat

No she isn't.

Makoto starting skillset is pretty basic, with single target healing and buffs for support. She doesn't pick up Mediarama until level 41 an Marakukaja until level 48. Morgana's lowish defense isn't even that big of a concern in practice because you can easily mitigate it with high-end armor, even on Hard. Miracle Punch's inconsistency is also fine because you aren't punished for not critting and the reward for knocking down a miniboss is significant. Granted, it's not even that great of a skill because it's useless in boss battles, but it's still decent.

To reiterate, Makoto undeniably ends up being better, but she's the definition of a late bloomer; she only ends up outclassing Morgana once she picks up Marakukaja + Mediarama because it helps trivialize boss encounters. Meanwhile, Morgana is your goto healer for the first four dungeons. Morgana's performance in those 4 dungeons + the fact that he's still viable even after Makoto outclasses him prevents him from being a bad character.

And yes, Makoto's gun is overrated as fuck. This is a gun that can only be obtain by fusing a level 87 demon and is 100% unnecessary, and yet people genuinely use it as justification for Makoto being a good character. Absolutely ridiculous.

Makoto joins you at level 19 with Diarama and Rakukaja, but guess what Morgana has at level 19? Not even a Diarama, he only learned Diarama at level 24 and doesn't even have Garula while Makoto already has Friela at 24. He's only good because you don't have other choice early game, late game he's even worse.

The only Morgana purpose is to use him as a healer on menu after you got Makoto.

Atlantis

I forgot how much everyone hates Kimahri. :( He's good y'all!

He was already brought up, but he's so bad he deserves to be mentioned again. Korcha from Chrono Cross.

Korcha.jpg

I can't remember seeing such a perfect combo of terrible combat ability, personality, and outfit anywhere else. His mother can join the party and she's amazing in battle, what happened?

ryushe

boey-fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-4.65.jpg

Boey in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. Celica starts with Mae, Boey and, depending on the player, Genny. From those three, Boey falls behind badly from beginning till the end. There is nothing redeemable about him in terms as an unit.

And from Alm's side we have Clive

latest

It is a miracle dude was the leader of the Deliverance. He is also useless too. Easily going to the bench as soon as a player gets better unit, especially Mathilda.

There are worse also, but those two stand for being important characters, especially the latter.
this guy knows

To be fair though, most of Celia's units are kind of trash when compared to the likes of Saber.

13ruce

Banned
Goofy in Kingdom Hearts 1. Donald Duck atleast healed ya. In 2 he has a pretty OP limit attack tho.

But honestly you can make both goofy and donald more usefull in the menu but their standard ai setting is crap.

Dark_castle

I forgot how much everyone hates Kimahri. :( He's good y'all!

He was already brought up, but he's so bad he deserves to be mentioned again. Korcha from Chrono Cross.

Korcha.jpg

I can't remember seeing such a perfect combo of terrible combat ability, personality, and outfit anywhere else. His mother can join the party and she's amazing in battle, what happened?
Honestly in Chrono Cross, based on my assessment, if the character has decent design or has more plot relevance, they tend to be better in gameplay too.

Developers of the game believed in judging a book by the cover.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Already posted but I second Kiwi (SF2), Peco (BoF3), Edward (FFIV) and Meg (FE Radiant Dawn).

I really like what the "Shining Tactics" SF2 mod did with Kiwi though, he's actually quite useful in that version of the game! He has more HP and doesn't get one-shot by mages, he has acceptable attack, and his attacks have a chance to stun enemies. I still replaced him at some point, but muuuuch later than in the vanilla game, where he'd be the first to go, and he saved my ass a couple of times.

So back on topic, I'll add Adam and Amon (Shining Force).

BeRAujK.jpg
es3cwqf.jpg

Adam is the last character to join and is un-promoted and incredibly under-levelled, now maybe he gets strong if you power-level him but there is really no point to doing that whatsoever, especially this late in the game.
Amon is just a weaker Balbaroy in every single way, there's no reason to pick her over him, which sucks because she has a cool design and all. They could have at least made ONE stat or attribute a bit better than her husband's, to balance it out (either by making both useful, or forcing you to make a real choice between the two), but alas.

Psycho Cyan thou

What is that?

Anyway FFVI isn't too hard and doesn't require party optimization to be enjoyable so I just went with the cooler characters, so I used Cyan often (and always kept Shadow whenever I could) haha.

this guy knows

To be fair though, most of Celia's units are kind of trash when compared to the likes of Saber.
everyone fails compared to the might of Delthea though...(Alm's army of course)

And yea Saber blew up by the end. He didnt feel like much at first even falling short of what Kamui was doing, but damn he just keeps going and is an invincible wall of death at the end.

But to that guy's post and the point of this thread. Holy shit Boey sucked. Clive was a bit better but definitely sucked compared to his wife and sister.

The Dink

Half of the cast in nearly every Star Ocean game are completely worthless.

You know what's up.

Second Story is one of my favorite games but most of the party members are (mechanically at least) crap in retrospect. Claude, Dias and Ashton are such power houses that it's impossible for Bowman, Precis, Chisato, Opera and Ernest to keep up. Their terrible damage output and moves that leave them open to attacks just can't compete.

Magic users kind of suck near the end game as well. The best magic spells take much longer to perform than regular attacks and skills and with the damage limit being so easy to reach. It's not worth freezing the action every 5 seconds for a measly 9999 worth of damage when your other team members are dealing about 2000 less with each hit of 10-hit combo that comes out in a 1/10 of the time. This sidelines Celine, Leon and Noel for pretty much the whole game.

Rena is the GOAT healer in any RPG though. She's there before you even realize one of your team mates have been hit.

Linkark07

Banned
Goofy in Kingdom Hearts 1. Donald Duck atleast healed ya. In 2 he has a pretty OP limit attack tho.

But honestly you can make both goofy and donald more usefull in the menu but their standard ai setting is crap.

Hmmm, strange. I find Goofy to be more useful than Donald. The duck is always staying unconscious on the floor, while Goofy at least does something.

Dark_castle

You know what's up.

Second Story is one of my favorite games but most of the party members are (mechanically at least) crap in retrospect. Claude, Dias and Ashton are such power houses that it's impossible for Bowman, Precis, Chisato, Opera and Ernest to keep up. Their terrible damage output and moves that leave them open to attacks just can't compete.

Magic users kind of suck near the end game as well. The best magic spells take much longer to perform than regular attacks and skills and with the damage limit being so easy to reach. It's not worth freezing the action every 5 seconds for a measly 9999 worth of damage when your other team members are dealing about 2000 less with each hit of 10-hit combo that comes out in a 1/10 of the time. This sidelines Celine, Leon and Noel for pretty much the whole game.

Rena is the GOAT healer in any RPG though. She's there before you even realize one of your team mates have been hit.
Are you joking, Bowman and his poison pills, Opera with group healing and Chisato is damage powerhouse too.

I consistently feel baffled by the people hating on Hope storywise. He is one of the few realistic child characters in JRPGs and has a solid character arc with good development. It helps that he is the best mage in the game and by extension probably the best character.

I remember Chrono Cross having some pretty bad party members notably Sneff, Luccia and Korcha.

People like to act like they would be calm, cool and collected in his situation at the age of 14. They would not.

Aerith ain't close to being the weakest even in her own series, like others have said Edward is the worst out of the series or at least the games I've played.

There is no character that has made me mad as much as Chibi Moon in Sailor Moon Another Story. Physically attacks deal 1 damage and her special attacks do barely more. She doesn't really have support moves either. She's just worthless.

Whales

Banned
Kimahri is worhtless as fuck in the standard sphere grid

you can make him not suck if you choose the expert one but even then... why use kimahri lol, hes just boring and bland tbh

Crayolan

cath.png

Cath from Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade comes to mind
Really low attack and defense stats. High speed level up rates, but that's about it. You can train her up to be decent, but there's two other thief units that you can get earlier that are better overall.

Considering thieves can't promote in FE6 there's no reason to care about their combat skills. Speed is all that matters so that they can actually do their job and steal things (especially in FE6 where there's little money available outside of stealing), and Cath does that best.

Cyframe

Morgana shouldn't even be mentioned here. He's a competent party member throughout the entire game.

Cass has utility in Fire Emblem 6 but recruiting her requires 3 separate conversations to recruit and if you aren't using Chad or Ashtol you aren't going to use her.

Gre, the butler from Evolution Worlds was pretty terrible. no Cyframe (yes this is where my username comes from) so he gets outclassed because his guns can't be upgraded like frames can.

458153-raine_full_size.gif

Raine from Tales of Symphonia, at least in the NA GC version
Only 3 offensive attacks, Photon, Holy Lance and Ray (you could only have 2, photon and holy lance or ray)

Several unison attacks and offensive attacks cut, no mystic arte (hi ougi) and melee attacks weak unless you killed a lot of enemies with the devil's arms
Powerful as a healer, but offensive lacked a lot

Raine had a pretty permanent slot in my active party during almost the entirety of ToS, I only took her out when it was easy enough that I could afford to and wanted to put the other members in for thematic reasons. Sure she's not a good damage dealer but she wasn't really meant to be, she's the embodiment of white Mage.

If you wanted to use a Tales example, then Leia from Xillia and its sequel is significantly worse than all the other members; I "mained" her for all of X1 and played her a bit in X2 and she was so underwhelming on all fronts

Top Bottom