• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is shutting down Xbox Fitness

Journey

Banned
sure, but it's not the same thing. DVDs are physical, and Fitness was interactive.

Xbox Fitness is, but Insanity and P90X can be purchased, Xbox Fitness would be similar to what Vudu, Amazon Video is for movies, if you purchase a movie, they should allow you to keep it instead of telling you the movie will stop working in 2017 when their service shuts down, even for copies that you downloaded, that's just bullshit.

TheYanger

Nuts to that. That's some PR garbage. Microsoft absolutely could have come up with a way to have the systems co-exist. It wasn't some insurmountable engineering challenge. They just didn't want to spend the time or money. It was easier to steal my DLC.

Most digital services on PC don't remove your old content regardless of how old it is. The only examples I can think of are when a company was shut down or bought out.

Online based services? They do that all the time. They don't tend to reprogram games that require online services to now function offline when they're already shutting them down.

No, Steam doesn't remove your copy of Deus Ex, but Deus Ex isn't an online only game. When Sony shuts down the mag servers they don't reprogram the game to make it function as a LAN title.

If it's as simple as them flipping a switch not to check for online connections for some DRM type reason, I have no doubt they'll do it, but if they're not it's almost inevitably because the online infrastructure is more intrinsic to the app functioning than that.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm sorry what? I can't play the workouts I bought? That doesn't seem legal? Surley that's protected under some consumer rights act

I`m pretty sure it`s legal. More power to the publishers, and still people support digital media more and more.

It's exactly the same as basically every other shuttered online service in the history of the internet. A year grace period is LONG by those standards as well. It doesn't mean it doesn't suck, but it's crazy that people are acting like this is some new low.

They have a right to be pissed that they're losing content they paid for. What does it matter what other services are doing?

FyreWulff

This is why people are sideeying any One game that streams it's content via Live. Way too many Azure/Live based games have gotten shut down by MS (and for a lot of people, a single game is one too many)

shandy706

Am I reading this right? If you purchased anything you only have it for a year, then your SOL?

I bet all the contracts are running out. That will be what...3 1/2 years.

I guess not enough of us are working out...haha.

This is why people are sideeying any One game that streams it's content via Live. Way too many Azure/Live based games have gotten shut down by MS (and for a lot of people, a single game is one too many)

Compared to what other console maker?

We'd all abandon ship on the big 3 if one was too much. This isn't even a game, heh.

Lol! DRM, gone. Always on, gone. After a year, Kinect, gone. Original OS gone for Win10 integration. First party games being exclusive to the Xbox, gone. Now this?

If they take away the TV features, they should just rename this console "Xbox 180"!

This sounds like a cool app. Sad to see it go, but with smart TV and set top boxes, maybe they just want to stick with games.

That's an angle I didn't even consider but it definitely makes sense. Besides the time and money it would take to make Xbox Fitness content work offline, they would also need to continue paying licensing fees if people were using it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Of course they did, otherwise their priorities would be at odds when they will be acquired by Burger King soon.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Lol! DRM, gone. Always on, gone. After a year, Kinect, gone. Original OS gone for Win10 integration. First party games being exclusive to the Xbox, gone. Now this?

If they take away the TV features, they should just rename this console "Xbox 180"!

Xbox 180? That's soooooooo clever.

Chitown B

like what? shut down piecemeal by MS specifically (not EA, etc, who do it across the board).

ps3ud0

Guess that probably means Scorpio is unlikely to support Kinetic? Well I certainly wasnt expecting a revision for it...

I hope MS realise that if they create a box just for Xbox Fitness quite a few people would buy it for that service. I know family that were buying an XO for just that...

ps3ud0 8)

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

That is what this boils down to. Not enough people were using it to justify the cost. I did use the Xbox Fitness initially, but quickly moved to cardio not in front of a TV. Sucks for those people that really found value in the service. When they stopped bundling the Kinect with the console, I figured this was going to happen.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Guess that probably means Scorpio is unlikely to support Kinetic? Well I certainly wasnt expecting a revision for it...

I hope MS realise that if they create a box just for Xbox Fitness quite a few people would buy it for that service. I know family that were buying an XO for just that...

ps3ud0 8)

Xbox One S already doesn't have a Kinect port but requires an adapter. I'm guessing Scorpio will use the same adapter since it's using the same OS.

SOR5

I will just say this

You guys were very quiet in your respect, adoration and general usage of Xbox Fitness

watdaeff4

I used this a few times, it wasn't bad, but like going to the gym or even just running outside much better.

That said I feel for the people who enjoyed it and agree with the previous poster that MS deserves to get a lot of flak over this.
yes I know the reference, but this IMO is much more noteworthy that that

I`m pretty sure it`s legal. More power to the publishers, and still people support digital media more and more.

You're buying a license. I think this really needs to be tested in court, absolutely. This is one of the huge arguments about digital games - one day, that service may shut down. Then what? You can't re download your games?

I worry about this with Steam, iTunes, Xbox Live, Nintendo, all of them.

Literally EVERY online company in the world has done this before. "MS in particular" my ass. The only reason XBL 1.0 was shut down was because it was incompatible with modern XBL architecture.

Never said I'm not, I don't even use it, but lots of people coming into this thread acting like this is some great betrayal and that MS is the first company to do this. (Shit like:
for example)

Let's go play some MAG bro! or some EQOA! Shit happens when it comes to online based services that can't just be run in perpetuity.

Which is why I tell people to not support terrible practices like always online games like the crew, plants vs zombies garden warfare 2, NFS, etc

All those games don't even need the online connection except for drm reasons

Why would I want a 60 dollar coaster ?

I'll never pay more than 10 bucks for a digital game, aka disposable money

Spend 60 euros on Xbox Fitness Insanity and Tai Chi.

Pretty fucking annoying that you basically bought a subscription without knowing what the expiration date would be.

Thankfully I still have the P90X and Insanity programs outside of Xbox Fitness, but I liked doing the Xbox Fitness Insanity workouts especially, the gamification of your performance really helped in pushing your workout even more, trying to get a higher score in certain exercises. The feedback you got on your performance DURING the exercises really helped with that.

Really bummed about this. I'll be more critical when I buy into new "services" with Microsoft. Or "games as services" in general.

The future is going to be interesting

I have to imagine the usage was really, really small. Probably not enough incentive to produce new content.

I'd think it would be easy to leave the existing stuff up there, but maybe all the stat calculating/etc is on it's own servers or something.

I used this a few times (need to use it a few more) and it was cool, but I could never really get into it, I never had the open living room space to make use of it.

Glad they're telling people in advance though.

ps3ud0

Xbox One S already doesn't have a Kinect port but requires an adapter. I'm guessing Scorpio will use the same adapter since it's using the same OS.
Is anyone actually actively making Kinetic games? Particularly MS published? I dont see the value of having support when theres little revenue coming out of it.

To add to my last post - I was talking about some QoL device that isnt Xbox branded

ps3ud0 8)

Chitown B

Which is why I tell people to not support terrible practices like always online games like the crew, plants vs zombies garden warfare 2, NFS, etc

All those games don't even need the online connection except for drm reasons

Why would I want a 60 dollar coaster ?

I'll never pay more than 10 bucks for a digital game, aka disposable money

Have you ever gone to a concert? Likely $60ish for a popular band. And then that experience is gone (disposable). And that's for less than 4 hours.

You're too used to your current mindset. That's not how games are working moving forward. Rarely are any games that are shut down primarily disc based games anyway.

Is anyone actually actively making Kinetic games? Particularly MS published? I dont see the value of having support when theres little revenue coming out of it.

To add to my last post - I was talking about some QoL device that isnt Xbox branded

ps3ud0 8)

it's "Kinect." Not sure if you're being facetious or ignorant.

MS has pretty much fully ditched it, and most other publishers too. Considering you can't buy an S packaged with one, that means it's over.

Coxy100

Banned
That's a shame - when I first got the X1 my wife was on it constantly - looked really good. Surely they can offer the existing content and not turn it all off. Don't quite get the logic.

Also another reason I hate the digital age... You've paid for it but lose access?

Sydle

Not crazy about losing P90X. I think that was $60?

I will just say this

You guys were very quiet in your respect, adoration and general usage of Xbox Fitness

Yeah, I think this thread is already longer than the OT.

Leyasu

Banned
It's exactly the same as basically every other shuttered online service in the history of the internet. A year grace period is LONG by those standards as well. It doesn't mean it doesn't suck, but it's crazy that people are acting like this is some new low.

No it's not, this is microsoft shutting down the service. It's on a whole new level dude

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

ps3ud0 8)

Scorpio is part of the Xbox One family according to MS so they want to continue to support everything the current Xbox One does and Kinect is one of those things. I'm guessing Fitness is being closed due to licensing reasons since it's a service and not just a game. Also I think 1 or 2 more Kinect games are in development from independent developers.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
That's a shame - when I first got the X1 my wife was on it constantly - looked really good. Surely they can offer the existing content and not turn it all off. Don't quite get the logic.

Also another reason I hate the digital age... You've paid for it but lose access?

That is the problem. Many people were on it initially, but that number must have dropped drastically. I totally remember seeing people on my list using it after the X1 launch, haven't seen anyone use it in a long time.

Don't see why they couldn't just remove the free stuff. No reason to take away the service for content I paid for.

Because that content costs them money to license. If no one is buying it, then it doesn't make sense to keep the license. In the end, everyone is in it to make a profit.

gamerMan

I am interested in how many people used this service. Hopefully, Microsoft does right and refunds any money put into the service.

I guess we can go back to being fat on our couch with a controller in our hand. Hand me another bag of Doritos.

Top Bottom