• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
The other topic is getting swamped and since this seems to be pretty major news if it turns out to be true, I thought we should have a all purpose place to discuss it. Other thread can discuss the hideous PS4 videos of Call of Duty: Ghosts or something. Trust me, it's gross.

UPDATE (12:07AM EST)

Our very own Crazy buttocks on a train chimed in and directly attacked Albert Penello on this score, confirming this rumour:

We arl rdaedy know.
Titfall also.
not cooll2 hodl back on tstuff we acnt interact r tel truaths with, evnev if itns the job to obs>ffducate.

translaperncy is berter when dealing wtih this positition. whataev er tho

link.

Damn.

ORIGINAL STORY

It started with famousmortimer saying he was "looking for a second source" on some news regarding this title:

Looking for another source before I break neogaf.

Link

After many posts of him going back and forth (he couldn't get that second source yet), thuway speaks up:

thuway said:
720p 720p 720p 720p 720p 720p 720p 720p 720p 720p

MS dun goofed :/

Link

Then later our very own mod bish says for famousmortimer to check his PMs. He usually does this to verify to veracity of a rumour. But after several moments, he came back with this:

...oboy. Fuck it, I'm out. See y'all later. It's been real.

*closes fallout shelter door, locks it firmly*

Link

To which everyone then exploded and said: Oh shit, some validity here?

Edit: Thanks SwiftDeath for this superior summary which you can read right here.
chubigans also posted extended bits of Proelite's commentary on the issue right here.

DISCUSS

What WOULD be the implications of Call of Duty: Ghosts being 720p on Xbox One, but 1080p on PS4?

Things to discuss ->

● Would there be any long term effect in sales? I personally don't think so - the cards are already set for which system will do better in the first half dozen months. It's what happens when the truly big guns start coming that will matter, not a cross gen game like this.

● Would most potential consumers even care or notice? I don't believe if they walked up into a store and saw the Xbox One version and PS4 version side by side (if the resolution stuff is true) that they would notice. However, systems and games in this industry sell on word-of-mouth more than any other factor. So they may not personally notice it, but they WOULD notice all their gamer friends saying the XBO version is markedly inferior to the PS4 version. Ergo, a boulder starts rolling down a hill...

● What does this say about Xbox One's hardware? Is it not capable of running games that look better than this @ 1080p? Of course not! As we see from Forza 5, it runs at 1080p and 60fps. But, what it may mean is that the added complexity of the system architecture - owing primarily to the ESRam memory set up - is causing hurdles in development, forcing games which are on tight deadlines to have to make concessions on the Xbox One. It has been said that PS4's dev environment was much further ahead in tools, that it is much quicker "to triangle" on the environment than its competitor. This is exactly the type of situation that would play out if true... it's not that Call of Duty is doing things too hard for the Xbox One, it's that the added complexity of the system (and thus the added dev time) is forcing launch window games to have to make more cuts in order to get within that deadline.

● I'll get Call of Duty: Ghosts on PS4 then! But you shouldn't because that shit looks fucking grotesque too.

hal9001

Banned
an28.gif

Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

metabanderasps45tuxx.gif

Cade

Saw this on Twitter by some Opera developer/apparent Sony supporter and I thought nah, couldn't be. But damn, those sources.

Freki

Albert Penello:

"People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years… "

tumblr_mmvl77Vhff1rys8k8o1_500.gif

Looking for another source before I break neogaf.

It really does need to be double checked. It's hearsay... and it's potentially damaging so if Im wrong and it spreads around like truth I would feel like absolute shit.

I'm a total goddamn tease even posting this though. I saw the thread title and couldn't help myself ><

I can speak to some speculation.

No I have not heard of it being delayed on the xbox.

No I have not heard about the xbox being delayed.

No I have not heard about parity between systems being forced.

So, yeah, all i can say is what it isn't.

I'm off to meetings for the next few hours. Sorry about the tease :/

720p 720p 720p 720p 720p 720p 720p 720p 720p
720p

MS dun goofed :/

Given the choice between

720p COD

and

Xbox One OS that crashes / hangs once per user session. Flaky ass multi-player.

I think 720p COD is the lesser of the two evils.

sigh

Check your PMs, please.

...oboy. Fuck it, I'm out. See y'all later. It's been real.

*closes fallout shelter door, locks it firmly*

It means you're on your own, I've got a family to look after and only so many canned goods to go round.

I can not say whether or not Thuway and/or Proelite are saying serious claims or not but they are supposed to be devs/insiders

Flunkie

Banned
Mainstream won't care if this news stays in forum circles. If this news does, however, spread to casuals and last gen's Cbox/CoD fanboys... well I can see sales for PS4/XBone being more lobsided.

Alpha_eX

I'd take a better pad when playing my games over 1080p, especially an FPS.

Sucks for anyone who genuinely gets angry over this news.

2San

1080p or no, I'm surprised at how bad the game looks. Maybe the next gen version got moved to PC only that would explain the system requirements. :p

AHA-Lambda

From the other thread:

All the evidence states the Xbox One version has been behind since day 1.

-E3 word of 3 week port job for 90fps on PS4 and 4 month port job for 15fps on Xbox One.

-Pretty much all 3rd party game footage have been the PS4 version.

-Xbox One has multiple 720p games already.

-Infinity Ward states the footage this week is the PS4 version running at 1080p.

-Mort teases something big and confirms it has nothing to do with version parity or delays leading to a graphics difference being a high probability.

-Other know insiders start saying 720p for Xbox One on top of other issues.

-Bish bails the fuck out and takes shelter.

Holy shit.
Other thread can discuss the hideous PS4 videos of Call of Duty: Ghosts or something. Trust me, it's gross.

That bad? I need to check this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom