• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesco: Call of Duty: Ghosts uses a new engine

Endless

Product Details

The franchise that has defined a generation of gaming is set to raise the bar once again with the all-new Call of Duty®: Ghosts. Published by Activision and developed by Infinity Ward, the studio that created the original Call of Duty and the seminal Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® series, Call of Duty: Ghosts ushers in the next generation of the franchise, delivering a riveting all-new gameplay experience built on an entirely new story, setting and cast, all powered by a new next-generation Call of Duty engine.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/call-of-duty-ghosts/126-0340.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=126-0340

---

//Mod Edit:

It is likely a derivative of the last engine:

Job Posting said:
Senior Systems Designer

Infinity Ward is seeking an experienced Designer that is looking to lead the effort in creating gameplay systems, game modes and scripted events for an exciting new project.
Candidates must have experience with C-style scripting languages and have the ability to think like a programmer to solve problems and accomplish a vision. Furthermore you should be comfortable writing script to handle gameplay systems such as basic AI behavior, cooperative mechanics, weapons, and, scripted sequences.

Pluses:

Prior experience with ID Tech / Radiant
Knowledge and prior experience with multiple scripting languages
MP debugging experience
Source: http://www.activision.com/ROOT/cms_misc/ATVICareersTaleo/job_listings.html

Into

So is Ghosts a beginning of a new "sub-trilogy"? They wrapped up Modern Warfare, and i assume will get Treyarch to make Black Ops 3 for 2014.

Im still hyped, hoping for PS4 and Durango versions come out as well. Even if they are just souped up, ressed up versions with microscopic improvements ill still get em.

Xanadu

Banned
That isn't even possible since id/Bethesda doesn't license that engine to competing devs.

was just a bad joke

i dont expect next gen call of duty to look anywhere near as good as battlefield 4 though, its weird because when call of duty 2 came out it was mind blowing, way ahead of bf2

was just a bad joke

i dont expect next gen call of duty to look anywhere near as good as battlefield 4 though, its weird because when call of duty 2 came out it was mind blowing, way ahead of bf2

They're going to prioritize framerate over all else. So if Battlefield 4 is 30fps on next-gen consoles, then it will probably look better than Ghost.

I'm not sure why people find it so hard to believe that they're going to create a new engine next-gen. They had no reason to create a new one in the current-gen since their priority is framerate. It was very unliekly that they'd get the game up and running on a new engine that looked better than their old one while also running at 60fps.

was just a bad joke

They weren't annual products back then though, right?

Sanic

They weren't annual products back then though, right?

Per developer, call of duty has always had a production schedule of two years starting in 2003.

Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll be doing any 10th anniversary stuff this year.

Izick

You all think there will be a new engine? I find it hard to believe since this is coming to current-gen consoles. They're not going to do anything to sacrifice 60FPS.

AssaTM

At this point i'm just wondering if this is the year we see the new engine in it's full blown capacity, or next year which is the traditional way these yearly games tend to transition to a new console. Perhaps a new engine this year without the full bells and whistles, although that risks being a bit underwhelming, I guess we'll just have to wait and see :eek:

Izick

It could always just be further tweaks to the old engine.

That's what I was expecting as well.

Maybe Black Ops 3 will be a new engine, if it's next-gen only, but I don't even see that happening. I think they'll keep it cross platform until BO3, and then that next game (Ghosts 2, I guess?) will be next-gen only.

Daingurse

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and at least try it next gen. I sunk over 50 hours into Modern Warefare 3's multiplayer for Christ's sake. In retrospect, wtf was I doing? Game is like fucking crack.

Into

The fact that they put "next generation engine" might make it plausible. Afterall Activision has surely started working on a new engine years ago or at least licensed a new one. They know next gen consoles were coming so eventually they had to update the game from the ground up.

They are not going to let CoD fizzle out on current gen consoles or do some half assed next gen Quake 3 engine port. They need to stay infront of the competition that is gunning for them

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder if they're going to use the new version of iD Tech 5 that Evil Within uses. Seems like that's a good candidate for cross gen games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's almost certainly still a derivative of the old engine:

Job Posting said:
Senior Systems Designer

Infinity Ward is seeking an experienced Designer that is looking to lead the effort in creating gameplay systems, game modes and scripted events for an exciting new project.
Candidates must have experience with C-style scripting languages and have the ability to think like a programmer to solve problems and accomplish a vision. Furthermore you should be comfortable writing script to handle gameplay systems such as basic AI behavior, cooperative mechanics, weapons, and, scripted sequences.

Pluses:

Prior experience with ID Tech / Radiant
Knowledge and prior experience with multiple scripting languages
MP debugging experience
Source: http://www.activision.com/ROOT/cms_misc/ATVICareersTaleo/job_listings.html

Demon Ice

Banned
It'll be like last gen where CoD2 started off in line with / better than other games' graphics, but then the entire series just stayed there while everything else improved.

I'm sure they're going to use a new engine eventually. Since the PS4/Xbox hit this year, I guess it's as good a time as any?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm sure they're going to use a new engine eventually. Since the PS4/Xbox hit this year, I guess it's as good a time as any?

They may switch to a new engine but I doubt we'll see too much of a visual improvement until they totally drop the current gen versions.

Top Bottom