• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chances of price drops this fall?

NIGHT-

Anyone think we will see some price drops on the last gen consoles or handhelds this fall? I really wanna pick up a Wii U and Vita this year but thinking I should wait and see if a price cut is happening. How likely is this?

Vic20

You would hope so! That said, it was a weird generation for price drops. They happened but very slowly.

I'm hoping for a PS3 pricedrop since I was a 360 owner this gen and missed out on Journey and The Last of Us. I'm guessing there will be (exceptionally) good deals on black friday.

TheDanger

Banned
Maybe there will be an attractive ps4+vita bundle and I'm pretty confident there will be price drops for all current gen console.

Ravek

Banned
Price chops across the board. WII U, PS3 at $250 by years end. VITA at $200-230, 3DS at $150, Wii at....no one cares.

Xbox 360 is the only oddball.

Come to think of it, where was that rumoured Xbox 360 mini?

I see more value added bundling before price drops in the horizon.

One would think a $399 PS4 would force Nintendo's hand, but I could also see them holding out until next year after they've released all their big guns for the holidays before making an official announcement. I definitely don't see the $350 premium sku sticking around, unless they find additional ways of adding value (packing in NSMB U, a Classic Controller, eshop points, etc.)

It would be absolutely insane for Microsoft to try and sell the 360 at $299 vs the PS4 at $399.

Not necessarily, for the late-adopter who doesn't yet own a 360 - it clearly offers better value in the short-term with a massive games line-up from the past 8 years and tons of bargain bin games. Hence why PS3/360 are still vastly outselling the Wii U.

Regardless, still plenty of time for a price drop.

Feorax

PS3 gets a price drop announcement at Gamescom, and Wii-U gets one at TGS, that's bet.

I'm secretly hoping for a Vita price drop in October just prior to the PS4 launch. The hardware is great, so it's in my interests for the thing to be successful and more widely supported.

DiscoJer

I think the Vita will get a price cut when Killzone launches.

Then again, with all those retailers offering giftcards, I thought sure they would announce it at E3 (along with a bunch of new AAA games).

So who knows? But there certainly be black friday deals, or even before that. I got my Vita for $194 with tax from Target last fall, and a lot of people did even better.

PS3 will absolutely go down to 199 or below this Fall. WiiU will also get a pricecut considering they plan to sell 9m units this FY. Not sure about 360, the Xbox Mini will have the same pricing as the current Xbox.

Striek

It really depends. The sales of 360 and PS3 are starting to fall rapidly YoY and growing. They are no longer trucking along at $200/$300 nicely. So do MS and Sony actually care about driving those install bases, will the marginal revenue from lowering the price offset the revenue lost by lowering the price of entry?

Before E3 I thought there was a good chance of a Wii U price cut. I still think thats a lock for a (big) price drop this year, because the games alone aren't going to drive the necessary install base for that system.

I'm hoping for price drops on the wii u and 3ds since I want to pick both up. If the ps3 got a price drop I would seriously consider getting another one even though I got the ylod on my last one. I need a new bluray player so that could be a decent option. No other ps3 games I need to play... Maybe the last of us.

flattie

Kind of expecting a drop with Wii U alongside a refresh of the hardware bundles. Over here in the UK, the premium model seems to be drying up from regular suppliers in some places; Shopto have it on backorder and Amazon is only selling it via third parties. Not in stock online at Asda either.

I'm sort of expecting to see a refresh soon which includes the white premium model and maybe some new pack-in options to coincide with new releases (Pikmin 3 maybe?).

Another thought. Does backward incompatibility make price drops on current gen more or less important? Or is the BC more of a "oh cool I always wanted to check out these last gen games".

They unveiled the new 360 model at the Microsoft conference. It's out now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-10-new-xbox-360-console-redesign-announced
How did all the Youtube parody summaries of the conference miss this point out? I'll stick to GAF summaries next year...
I guess its like the Wii Mini, shoved into the "nobody cares, especially at that price" drawer.

Glass Rebel

3DS - No

With Animal Crossing out and Mario & Luigi, Pokémon and Zelda until the end of the year makes it possibly the worst time to cut the price on the 3DS. People want these games and they will shell out cash for them, whatever the cost of the 3DS may be. What they absolutely need to do though is bring over the black and the white XL and maybe include some eShop credit.

Vita - Yes

Unless there is something big coming out for the holidays I don't see how they plan to sell the device with the PS4, XBone and possibly new iDevices coming out. They don't have anything they could bundle it with like Aassassin's Creed or Call of Duty yet.

Wii U - Maybe

They have a pretty strong first-party line-up for the second half of the year and probably want to keep the price as high as possible. On the other hand, retailers are already selling it below RRP from what I hear. They better bundle the thing with some existing software and fast.

jfoul

Probably see a Vita, and WiiU price drop. I think Sony announced at the press conference that they will have a PS3 GTAV Bundle this fall for $299.99, so it's probably going to be that price for awhile. I just picked up the red God of War bundle for $299.99 today, I'm not waiting.

Bailers

3DS - No

Vita - Yes

Unless there is something big coming out for the holidays I don't see how they plan to sell the device with the PS4, XBone and possibly new iDevices coming out. They don't have anything they could bundle it with like Aassassin's Creed or Call of Duty yet.

Tearaway is getting a bundle, I'll bet Killzone does too. One of those seems like the best point to drop the price or add something if they are going to do anything.

TheMan

Vita without a shadow of a doubt, wiiu almost certainly. In fact, expect Black Friday sales with vita for 100 dollars. Wiiu may go the "value" route and keep the same price but add some shitty game no one cares about.

Glass Rebel

Tearaway is getting a bundle, I'll bet Killzone does too. One of those seems like the best point to drop the price or add something if they are going to do anything.

I mean bundles that will move a significant amount of hardware. Neither Tearaway nor Killzone (especially with Shadow Fall coming) have the same appeal as Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty.

Elios83

Jim Ryan, SCEE's president, asked about price drops for PS3 and VIta this year said that if they didn't announce anything at E3 he's not allowed to talk about it.
So well :p
I'd be amazed if PS3 and Vita aren't officially at 199$ this October (actually the flash based PS3 SKU should be lower than 199$ but ok...). And 360 4GB should be 150$.
For Nintendo the situation is more difficult. Wii U needs a 50$ price cut to give the product a sense compared to something like the PS4. But even Nintendo knows at this point that Wii U is gonna end up like a Nintendo-only console, so an investement towards a 3DS price cut makes much more sense for them since it's their best chance to be successful.

Atsumi

I'm really hoping for a Vita. Lots of people haven't bought one yet and since they're pushing it so much with the PS4 they need to make it more affordable.

If only my gaming funds were endless.

pa22word

Seeing as Ninty seemingly axed the Basic model I'd say it's a safe bet there's going to be a price drop to ~$300 or so for the delux. They'd be crazy not to, as a $350 Wii U vs a $399 PS4 is a really tough sale to anyone.

Road

Only Wii U might get a price drop. For all the other systems, expect only bundle deals for the holidays.

All three companies are in a hard position and they cannot afford the loss of profit price drops would cause. I say only Wii U because it is a question of life or death for it.

Cromat

I think 3DS is really held back by its price in North America and Europe. It should go down to $129, but they'll probably wait after Pokemon.

It's insane how high the prices still are for ALL of the hardware out now. How does a $299 PS3 or 360 make sense with a $399 PS4 on shelves this holiday. A $199 PS3 makes sense to me - half the price and free online play, with some recent great exclusives and a big back catalog. As a marketer you then have a pretty straight forward two-prong message to take world wide for the next couple years. Xbox brand would be the same way.

And I really want a Vita but I won't pay more than $200... Do it Sony!

pa22word

It's insane how high the prices still are for ALL of the hardware out now. How does a $299 PS3 or 360 make sense with a $399 PS4 on shelves this holiday.

I'm assuming both Sony and MS are targeting fence sitters who might see the the price tags and say, "well, $100 more for a PS4 over a PS3 isn't that bad..." with this move. After all, Nintendo had real trouble in the west here recently with the DS cannibalizing 3DS sales due to it being so much cheaper than its newer brother and seemingly (very abruptly) discontinued the system to stop it.

Ocaso

It's insane how high the prices still are for ALL of the hardware out now. How does a $299 PS3 or 360 make sense with a $399 PS4 on shelves this holiday. A $199 PS3 makes sense to me - half the price and free online play, with some recent great exclusives and a big back catalog. As a marketer you then have a pretty straight forward two-prong message to take world wide for the next couple years. Xbox brand would be the same way.

I agree wholeheartedly. I understand that they've increased the value of te product by using bundles and upping the hard drive size, but even taking that into account the fact than no current gen console outside of the Wii has dropped below $200 7-8 years after launch is insane. I have to believe this has hampered the adoption rate somewhat as $99 has historically provided massive sales boosts. Given the fact that proce drops have to come at some point, I imagine we're going to be seeing cross-gen titles from third parties for at least a couple more years as part of current gen continued support.

Top Bottom