• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2017 Edition

anyone have a recommendation on a bookcase or something good for storing games for the current consoles? Id like something that isn't flimsy. The one i have now has a shitty paper thin back that just comes off after a few days. Im also out of room on it, need something big.

Media Cabinet

I use 2 of these. They are well built and the have ones with drawers also instead of top loading so works out well for a spot the wife can place her knickknacks. I have one for BluRays and current gen games, and a 2nd one for last gen titles.

We can be friends -- underrated receiver brand, such a pity.

Anthem really is great. I wouldn't say they are underrated just not well known. The average consumer is not going to specialty audio dealers. If it's not in Best Buy they have no idea it exist.

If they were in Best Buy and people could compare them to the other offerings they would realize what the other companies offer is not up to par with Anthem, Arcam, etc.

Plus it's hard for people to justify. When you look at say a Denon X6300H which also has 11 built in amps, and it is 1300 dollars cheaper, its hard to justify the cost when it lacks all the little bells and whistles on paper, until you hear it that is. When people realize whats inside of it, listen to it, and realize it is made with the main goal of high end audio they get it

Here's my setup as of right now. Not really sure if I'll change anything, pretty happy overall.

MZgOEJy.jpg

Sega Wall

Nintendo/XBOX/Movie and everything else wall

Consoles

Barcade

Barcade on a Mini-fridge

kanuuna

Following up on that upgrade on my end, I've got the new subwoofer (SVS PB16-Ultra) now. I've actually had it for two weeks now, which was way earlier than I expected to get one, but here it is.

sub1.jpg

This thing was, despite having seen a video and some pictures of the thing beforehand, way bigger than I expected (DVD case for scale). You couldn't fit a finger in between the door frame when this was being brought in. Weighs a ton, too.

sub2.jpg

The biggest surprise was how deep this thing is. There was never any way this was going to fit in the front without being a hassle, but having it positioned on the side wall worked out well enough. Whenever I do get a bigger space, this thing should feel right at home.

sub3.jpg

And here's the complete front end of the setup. I'm pretty pleased with it. I still haven't had the Genelecs calibrated - which is a shame, but nonetheless things sound great. One thing that has come evident to me with the new sub and speakers plugged in is how few games actually utilize the LFE channel to great effect. Battlefield 4 sound terrific, Some Call of Duty games (Infinite Warfare[; there's a bit in one of the optional missions that shakes the room which I wholly didn't expect - Operation Phoenix in the mission list], Advanced Warfare sound great - MW:R less so) do, too and SOMA has really won me over since I came back to visit my backlog. But then there's stuff on PS3 - A sliver of Dead Space gameplay (intro) that I went back to have a look at seemed to have zero activity on the .1 channel. Neither did SoTC - though I'm not sure that game ever had proper 5.1 support to begin with since that's a remastered PS2 game. Long story short; movies sound way better than most games (duh).

As for music, the subwoofer is pretty good at complimenting the low end with the the L and R speakers that already do a stellar job at the low end. Having profiles on the sub that can be switched with a button press or an app (bluetooth) is convenient and I've gotten more use out if than I expected to. I have one profile for HDMI sources that operates at the full frequency range of the sub (0-120hz LFE range) and one for music (Sonos and turntable) that bumps up the volume by a decibel and has a Low Pass Filter set at 36hz, so that it just hits the notes that the fronts don't.

Yes Boss!

New setup for the next couple of months. Pretty happy with the mix. Should be my Switch in there by next week after my twin sends it to me.

AF41B496-D0C8-4EDF-9DBF-0387B7E12117.jpg

winstano

I thought Tabris used to knock around here?

Hmmm anyways Tabris if you're reading, I assume you're still into your setups maybe? A blast from the past from the old Gamespot days! Would be nice to say hello after all these years!

Anyways...lovely setups guys n' gals! Might as well add mine into the equation. :)

It's been like this for just over 10 years, with a few additions here and there. I sort of fell out of love with Home Cinema a good few years ago, but this year I'm thinking of upgrading most of my kit (bar my Kef Refs/JL Audio Subs) and having a major redeco in the gaf.

Regardless, hope it's up to Neo's standards!

I was looking at that thinking "Maaannnn, that looks like THE FORCE's on AV Forums... Then I saw the link at the bottom! :D Man, I had an obsession with that place and trying to buy things I couldn't afford a while back... Good to see this stuff again, even if it's turning me green

Mmmm that sub is a beast. I went to one of the few dealers I buy gear form and they did a demo for me of it. Simply amazing. I think they had it plugged IIRC and it was so on point and quick. Definitely on the list for me but not for another few months. Probably the sealed though the ported is a little more than I need for my space

New setup for the next couple of months. Pretty happy with the mix. Should be my Switch in there by next week after my twin sends it to me.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/AF41B496-D0C8-4EDF-9DBF-0387B7E12117.jpg[G][/QUOTE]

Nice looking cabinets.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Following up on that upgrade on my end, I've got the new subwoofer (SVS PB16-Ultra) now. I've actually had it for two weeks now, which was way earlier than I expected to get one, but here it is.

This thing was, despite having seen a video and some pictures of the thing beforehand, way bigger than I expected (DVD case for scale). You couldn't fit a finger in between the door frame when this was being brought in. Weighs a ton, too.

The biggest surprise was how deep this thing is. There was never any way this was going to fit in the front without being a hassle, but having it positioned on the side wall worked out well enough. Whenever I do get a bigger space, this thing should feel right at home.

And here's the complete front end of the setup. I'm pretty pleased with it. I still haven't had the Genelecs calibrated - which is a shame, but nonetheless things sound great. One thing that has come evident to me with the new sub and speakers plugged in is how few games actually utilize the LFE channel to great effect. Battlefield 4 sound terrific, Some Call of Duty games (Infinite Warfare[; there's a bit in one of the optional missions that shakes the room which I wholly didn't expect - Operation Phoenix in the mission list], Advanced Warfare sound great - MW:R less so) do, too and SOMA has really won me over since I came back to visit my backlog. But then there's stuff on PS3 - A sliver of Dead Space gameplay (intro) that I went back to have a look at seemed to have zero activity on the .1 channel. Neither did SoTC - though I'm not sure that game ever had proper 5.1 support to begin with since that's a remastered PS2 game. Long story short; movies sound way better than most games (duh).

As for music, the subwoofer is pretty good at complimenting the low end with the the L and R speakers that already do a stellar job at the low end. Having profiles on the sub that can be switched with a button press or an app (bluetooth) is convenient and I've gotten more use out if than I expected to. I have one profile for HDMI sources that operates at the full frequency range of the sub (0-120hz LFE range) and one for music (Sonos and turntable) that bumps up the volume by a decibel and has a Low Pass Filter set at 36hz, so that it just hits the notes that the fronts don't.

Nice upgrade and stunning setup!

Vipu

Banned
Curious as to what projector you are using... I'm in the market for a 4k projector yet their don't seem to be many available that support native 4k + HDR at 60hz. Is it a native 4k projector or faux-k like JVC and Epson? Have you been happy with it?

Is there even HDR projectors? How does it even work?

The Dude

Curious as to what projector you are using... I'm in the market for a 4k projector yet their don't seem to be many available that support native 4k + HDR at 60hz. Is it a native 4k projector or faux-k like JVC and Epson? Have you been happy with it?

Actually this is the Epson 5040ub, which I've had since it released and I've bought a lot of display units over the years and this one blows them all way. It was the best 3000 bucks I've ever spent. I've had people on avs compare it to native 4k displays and this thing in some cases look even better. I have no idea the type of Wizardry epson concocted but it's pretty incredible. It accepts all 4k feeds, and you will truly get a breath taking 4k 60hz display...its stunning and something you really need to see in person. I personally didn't think I'd be able to see 4k like this for the price.

The color and clarity is stunning, I have at this point no need for a native 4k as the way this works it virtually achieves it. Or let's say I have no rush for how amazing this looks. Gaming, 4k hdr movies, even blu ray it takes and make incredible with 4k enhancements.

The other faux 4k sets that originally came out were nothing like this as they were more of a basic upscale.. This is one hell of a projector at 3k bucks, I kid you not. If you have more questions ask away and I can show some more pics if you want.

Valonquar

It's very refreshing to see more people actually making an effort to have a pleasing design for their gaming room, rather than just garishly displaying everything, like they've got a Gamestop in their house.

Lazlo

One thing that has come evident to me with the new sub and speakers plugged in is how few games actually utilize the LFE channel to great effect.

If you've picked up Mass Effect Andromeda then make sure you're prepared for your whole place to shake when you do anything in the star map. I had to switch my sub to night profile cause there's so much bass (to the point where it was getting annoying). Also make sure you change your sound settings as cinema and wide dynamic range audio isn't enabled by default.

Actually this is the Epson 5040ub, which I've had since it released and I've bought a lot of display units over the years and this one blows them all way. It was the best 3000 bucks I've ever spent. I've had people on avs compare it to native 4k displays and this thing in some cases look even better. I have no idea the type of Wizardry epson concocted but it's pretty incredible. It accepts all 4k feeds, and you will truly get a breath taking 4k 60hz display...its stunning and something you really need to see in person. I personally didn't think I'd be able to see 4k like this for the price.

The color and clarity is stunning, I have at this point no need for a native 4k as the way this works it virtually achieves it. Or let's say I have no rush for how amazing this looks. Gaming, 4k hdr movies, even blu ray it takes and make incredible with 4k enhancements.

The other faux 4k sets that originally came out were nothing like this as they were more of a basic upscale.. This is one hell of a projector at 3k bucks, I kid you not. If you have more questions ask away and I can show some more pics if you want.
Thanks for the info. I'm debating between the JVC RS520 and Sony 675ES. Both can do 4k/HDR/60hz, both have a game mode, but the JVC is faux-x (like your epson). I find the price of the Sony hard to justify at $15k. I've heard faux-k is really good, but I haven't seen it. I have seen the Sony... it was nothing short of amazing.

I ruled out the Epson because I heard it had a 10.2gbs HDMI board, which prevents it from doing 4k with HDR at 60hz. 4k 60hz would be limited to 4:2:0 8bit. How did you get this working? I'm also active on AVS, and have heard of some people using an HD Fury to get around this. I'd like to hear more, as that is a very attractive price point

Is there even HDR projectors? How does it even work?
Yes, there are many HDR projectors now. It's not fully the same as a tv, but the effect is similar. Some people don't like it, as it can wash out the picture on a projector. Higher end projectors can do this with pretty high accuracy though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's very refreshing to see more people actually making an effort to have a pleasing design for their gaming room, rather than just garishly displaying everything, like they've got a Gamestop in their house.

I agree, though I'm not necessarily a fan of setups that go to far in the other direction and feel like there's no fun allowed.

Anyway, I think I'll finally be ready to post some pics in early May. Should be cool.

The Dude

Thanks for the info. I'm debating between the JVC RS520 and Sony 675ES. Both can do 4k/HDR/60hz, both have a game mode, but the JVC is faux-x (like your epson). I find the price of the Sony hard to justify at $15k. I've heard faux-k is really good, but I haven't seen it. I have seen the Sony... it was nothing short of amazing.

I ruled out the Epson because I heard it had a 10.2gbs HDMI board, which prevents it from doing 4k with HDR at 60hz. 4k 60hz would be limited to 4:2:0 8bit. How did you get this working? I'm also active on AVS, and have heard of some people using an HD Fury to get around this. I'd like to hear more, as that is a very attractive price point

Well that is my only beef with epson, I read they can fix it... But it will do 2k hdr which is a letdown, but for the price point I wouldn't let it stop you from at least trying one as I wish I could stress how incredible the picture is with this thing.. I just checked Amazon and it's marked at 2500 right now and that is a steal given what you can accomplish with this.

The thing is alot of hdr content seems so up and down still, so it's why I'm not personally to worked up over it at the moment.

My opinion would be unless you do have the cash to throw at a native 4k, I would absolutely pass and try out something like the Epson just even to buy time until native projectors are actually reasonably priced. I'm pretty picky with displays so I wouldn't steer you or anyone wrong when it comes to a great display. When I did research and had some people compare with the sony and epson, we were all blown away by the fact that the Epson was right there, maybe a slight deeper black with the sony but nothing nowhere near worth 15k bucks.

Since it was the first of its kind that actually delivered I am able to look past the 2k hdr aspect, but you get a stunning 4k 60hz image that will rival and of the native 4k projected easily.

The thing is when I see this I think, what even is native 4k after you see something like this in action... Anything they can imitate it to such degree and give you a stunning picture is a sell for me.

Plus when you have a Pc going it's even better, my 1080 has been great but I had to still tweak a few settings... The 1080 ti I just ordered this will let me really pump 4k settings and it'll be even that much better.

The Dude

https://www.flickr.com/gp/150374694@N04/wY525i

Collected, check this out. Now that's how I see it from where I'm sitting... However the picture looks even better in actual person with color depth but this gives an idea. To me having that at 130" with that much detail is just stunning. But that's only one example, but when you consider the size and the clarity that picture has its pretty impressive.

I just hope it looks as good on whatever device you're using. It won't do completely justice as the brighteness and color depth doesn't translate perfect thru my phone but it's decent enough to give an idea.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/150374694@N04/wY525i

Collected, check this out. Now that's how I see it from where I'm sitting... However the picture looks even better in actual person with color depth but this gives an idea. To me having that at 130" with that much detail is just stunning. But that's only one example, but when you consider the size and the clarity that picture has its pretty impressive.

I just hope it looks as good on whatever device you're using. It won't do completely justice as the brighteness and color depth doesn't translate perfect thru my phone but it's decent enough to give an idea.

I appreciate the replies/additional info. I viewed your pics on my Surface Book, and that does indeed look A LOT better than my current projector (Sony hw30es).

I also agree that the price of the native 4k projectors is absurd. While I could buy it, I feel like it would be an insanely stupid purchase. The JVC RS420 came out earlier this year, and I hear it can do 4k/HDR/60hz with a gaming mode. It's about $4k, so obviously more than the Epson but has the benefit of 18gbs HDMI. My local AV shop is supposed to get an Epson 6040 on display soon, so maybe I should check it out before making a purchase.

I can justify up to around $5k for something if I end up replacing it in around 5 years, but $15 just sounds like throwing money in the garbage.

Edit: I posted my setup back on page 3 of this thread, my only real issues is the light walls... you seem to have nice light control.

The Dude

I appreciate the replies/additional info. I viewed your pics on my Surface Book, and that does indeed look A LOT better than my current projector (Sony hw30es).

I also agree that the price of the native 4k projectors is absurd. While I could buy it, I feel like it would be an insanely stupid purchase. The JVC RS420 came out earlier this year, and I hear it can do 4k/HDR/60hz with a gaming mode. It's about $4k, so more than the JVC but has the benefit of 18gbs HDMI. My local AV shop is supposed to get an Epson 6040 on display soon, so maybe I should check it out before making a purchase.

I can justify up to around $5k for something if I end up replacing it in around 5 years, but $15 just sounds like throwing money in the garbage.

Edit: I posted my setup back on page 3 of this thread, my only real issues is the light walls... you seem to have nice light control.

Nice lookin setup man, I like it.

And yea I haven't checked out the jvc model but with it being full hdr, I'm gonna say that's your ticket. You can also check out the 6040 and get an idea but honestly if you dove right into the jvc I think youd be quite happy assuming it's 4k image is as good as the Epsons.

@Sherlock I just run a small business. Nowt special. Sometimes it's better to keep things small as you can keep an eye on things and give better customer service without being greedy. That's my ethos anyway!

Holy fuck

"just run a small business"

dude all that shit is crazy expensive

prophecy0

I'll post some pics of my setup in the near future. There's some great looking gamine spaces in this thread!

One thing that has come evident to me with the new sub and speakers plugged in is how few games actually utilize the LFE channel to great effect.

I recently went from a SVS PC13 Ultra to dual 18" subs in 11cu ft ported enclosures. I agree with you 100% - most games absolutely do not take advantage of the LFE channel. Horizon: Zero Dawn does a decent job sometimes. Resogun digs really deep, especially during the boss battles. I haven't yet tried Titanfall 2 on my surround sound system, but when I play on PC with headphones it seems like it goes pretty low as well.

Yes Boss!

What kind of CRT is that? It's very cool looking.

Sony PVM 20L5. 19" and does up to 480p. I think it also does 1080i and 720p via the squeeze trick but not so sure about that. I use it for 480p and lower and works great with those systems.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Some great setups in here. Some are really inspirational.
I'll post my current PC desk which is pretty boring tbh.

I did finally upgrade my old Philips 244e1 1080p monitor today. Went with a 27" Iiyama ProLite IPS panel at 2560x1440p mostly for the extra screen real estate.
It's been great so far.

In a year i'm likely moving to a brand new apartment and I already can't wait to completely redesign my setup with a proper new desk and a decent monitor arm. I feel mine is still way too cluttered.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
With my HP Omen X 35 arriving today, I am finally more or less finished with my PC setup. Not perfectly happy with the power and network cable coming from the PowerLAN adapter, but my options were limited considering the height-adjustable desk and the socket placement in my apartment. Maybe I'll get a monitor desk mount to get a bit more space between the monitor and my face... we'll see. Also, sorry for potato cam.

Ashtrax

Not many changes to my setup since 2015, just a few re-arranged things and some upgraded gear. I have other consoles, framed posters (thinking of swapping out my Zelda posters for my Dead Space ones), figures and statues, but at the moment they are in storage.

LOUNGE

• Sony 55" X850C 4K HDR Television
  • Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray Player
  • Pioneer VSX-1131 AV Receiver
  • Wharfedale Achromatic Series 5.1 Speaker Set
  • Gaming PC with a Roccat Sova Lapboard
  • PlayStation 4 Pro with PSVR, Xbox One Slim, Nintendo Wii U, PlayStation 3

STUDY

• X99 Motherboard, i7-5930K, GeForce GTX 1080, 32GB RAM, SSDs
  • G-Sync enabled Acer Predator X34 Ultrawide, ASUS ROG PG278Q Monitors
  • Logitech G910 Orion Spark, G502 Proteus Spectrum, G633 Artemis Spectrum, C920 Webcam, Z906 THX 5.1 Speakers

• Sony 32" W670A Full HD Television
  • ASUS ROG GR6 with two 12GB NAS Bays for Plex Media Streaming & Backups
  • Logitech G19s Keyboard, G502 Proteus Core, G430 Headset, Z623 THX 2.1 Speakers
  • PlayStation 3 Super Slim and Xbox 360 connected to the GR6 for Twitch Streaming

OBLIGATORY

• Resident Cat, Isaac.

Not many changes to my setup since 2015, just a few re-arranged things and some upgraded gear. I have other consoles, framed posters (thinking of swapping out my Zelda posters for my Dead Space ones), figures and statues, but at the moment they are in storage.

LOUNGE

• Sony 55" X850C 4K HDR Television
  • Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray Player
  • Pioneer VSX-1131 AV Receiver
  • Wharfedale Achromatic Series 5.1 Speaker Set
  • Gaming PC with a Roccat Sova Lapboard
  • PlayStation 4 Pro with PSVR, Xbox One Slim, Nintendo Wii U, PlayStation 3

STUDY

• X99 Motherboard, i7-5930K, GeForce GTX 1080, 32GB RAM, SSDs
  • G-Sync enabled Acer Predator X34 Ultrawide, ASUS ROG PG278Q Monitors
  • Logitech G910 Orion Spark, G502 Proteus Spectrum, G633 Artemis Spectrum, C920 Webcam, Z906 THX 5.1 Speakers

• Sony 32" W670A Full HD Television
  • ASUS ROG GR6 with two 12GB NAS Bays for Plex Media Streaming & Backups
  • Logitech G19s Keyboard, G502 Proteus Core, G430 Headset, Z623 THX 2.1 Speakers
  • PlayStation 3 Super Slim and Xbox 360 connected to the GR6 for Twitch Streaming

OBLIGATORY

• Resident Cat, Isaac.
link me those persona 5 wallpapers plz :3

Top Bottom