• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.
89L5ong.jpg

If you would have told me this was a character in Infamous SS, I would have believed you. Like the antagonist or Deslan's alter ego.

Can't find the thread...link?

Callibretto that might be pr talk, remember this?

MS drops 360's 720p requirement. Devs now free to make "trade-off".

I don't think Sony will be able to push that requirement. At least not for long.

donthizz is right, it's stewart gilray who said it, he's in talks with Sony and said that Sony is encouraging 1080p60fps, of course Sony can't enforce it, especially if their own game is not doing it.

but I think most if not all psn ps4 games will be 1080p60fps anyway.

XAL

Why is there a buckle on his forehead?

Buckles are common (and can be lazy) design elements that are thrown in to make things look 'cooler', often without serving any necessary function - or if thrown in for a legitimate purpose, overdone via larger quantities of buckles than necessary.

Sensible amount of buckles: 1-2 buckles to secure top and bottom of attached pieces/boots.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090717122737/killzone/images/7/73/Helghast.jpg

Yes, he looks very cool. But 3 buckles to secure a gun holster? Look at special forces soldiers, only 1 or two straps/buckles max are necessary to hold the holster. 3 buckles to secure a pair of gloves that already look tight/form-fitting? 3 buckles to secure an already stiff fabric face/neck cover...
But! Repetition is a design element and this is a fantasy design so it works here for the most part. This design lands on the lower/middle end of the spectrum for buckle overload.
Vincent_Valentine.png

Just...just look at this. Look at this mess:
k-bigpic.jpg

Just look at the arms and boots. Not buckles here, but instead we have straps of unnecessary length that are wrapped in a spiral around the boots (and loosely wrapped around the forearms) and an overwhelming amount of button snap points...wut. Apparently these buttoned straps and buckles are "in" for Helghast fashion in Shadowfall.

I guess the reasoning might be because the Helghast are poorer? But how do you not have access to quality fastening tools for clothing when you have shape shifting/invisible tech...idk

adelante

k-bigpic.jpg

Just look at the arms and boots. Not buckles here, but instead we have straps of unnecessary length that are wrapped in a spiral around the boots (and loosely wrapped around the forearms) and an overwhelming amount of button snap points...wut. Apparently these buttoned straps and buckles are "in" for Helghast fashion in Shadowfall.

I guess the reasoning might be because the Helghast are poorer? But how do you not have access to quality fastening tools for clothing when you have shape shifting/invisible tech...idk
Peronally i find the redesign is pretty cool, i thought those "buttons" are actually cloaking points so they're strapped all over his limbs to obtain full camo coverage?

Binabik15

Is the desin different or is it simply different lighting from the previous shots? Mobile internet is too slow to google. With about three gigs of RAM left if the story about the unvei version is true, they could easily add old AND new enemy design to avoid clones, can't they. I don't like clone armies.

zoukka

Is the desin different or is it simply different lighting from the previous shots? Mobile internet is too slow to google. With about three gigs of RAM left if the story about the unvei version is true, they could easily add old AND new enemy design to avoid clones, can't they. I don't like clone armies.

Adding new custom models requires more work for the artists. Extra memory doesn't magically create new models.

KAOz

Short bus special
Peronally i find the redesign is pretty cool, i thought those "buttons" are actually cloaking points so they're strapped all over his limbs to obtain full camo coverage?

You know, I think you are on to something there. All those buttons are placed in quite strategic places. Aswell as you can see one button at the top of the hood on the new model.
Shit, it makes sense...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The game and its characters models look very ugly (also really bad animations going), I hope they improve it before the release.

Looks amazing, I just cringe a little bit at 30fps. I mean, I'd really like to see 48~60fps for next gen. I'm just sick of the double vision/retina retention effect in games that run at 30fps.

XAL

Hmmmm. You're right.

That still doesn't explain why he's covered in spaghetti.

I can't help but feel like the Helghast are incompetent. It's the same effect as storm troopers. We all think storm troopers are idiots.

Gun Animal

Adding new custom models requires more work for the artists. Extra memory doesn't magically create new models.

For the old models they could just either throw in the (relatively) low-poly PS3 models, or rework the hi-poly promotional models to work in Shadow Fall. They could have some underpaid (see: 25~30k) modeler spend two weeks or so converting models from the PS3 games and maybe the original PS2 game. What is that, a few thousand dollars? For double or triple the enemy variety? That's hella worth it.

I'm all about reusing assets from previous titles if it brings cost down and/or adds variety. That's where it's at.

edit: obviously that doesn't include all the other aspects of getting the old models in but they could use the rigs and animations of the new characters as long as their bodies mostly match up. there's even several ways you can do weight mapping automatically although it looks much cheaper that way. The game's animations already look pretty poor so I don't think it would stand out that much.

zoukka

For the old models they could just either throw in the (relatively) low-poly PS3 models, or rework the hi-poly promotional models to work in Shadow Fall. They could have some underpaid (see: 25~30k) modeler spend two weeks or so converting models from the PS3 games and maybe the original PS2 game. What is that, a few thousand dollars? For double or triple the enemy variety? That's hella worth it.

This is delusional and unrealistic :b You can't just whip out competent modelers out of nowhere and pay them shit salary to work magic on your game.

Gun Animal

This is delusional and unrealistic :b You can't just whip out competent modelers out of nowhere and pay them shit salary to work magic on your game.

Swapping a model out with a model that already exists is hardly magic. If you had one of the old helghast models from Killzone 2 you could get it working in the source engine as a character skin or something in a few hours, as an example. Also, does Sony not outsource any of their menial asset production like every other publisher? Honest question, I don't know. It would be weird if they didn't.

It's what makes the design awesome and stand out imo.

i don't know. In Killzone 2 everything seemed to be designed with functionality in mind. German design. Down to earth, like Dutchies. Right now it seems designed for designs sake. I don't like that.
It's not a bad design, but i rather see them design stuff with functionality in mind.

zoukka

Swapping a model out with a model that already exists is hardly magic. If you had one of the old helghast models from Killzone 2 you could get it working in the source engine as a character skin or something in a few hours, as an example. Also, does Sony not outsource any of their menial asset production like every other publisher? Honest question, I don't know. It would be weird if they didn't.

They might. But they have standards for each model that need to be met. I think they'd rather keep each model 9+ than to sprinke a few 5's in there. People will spot them and give them shit for them I'd think.

Didn't GT5 use GT4 models for the lesser cars in the game? It's not unheard of.

Wouldn't work in an FPS. Was a stretch even in GT5.

kitanii

Banned
60fps is eveything

Depending on the game sure.
In this case though 30fps feels MUCH more cinematic and as long as it's consistent it's butter smooth. Which in the end is more awesome. Seeing as how it's played with analogue sticks it doesn't really get any less responsive either.

StuBurns

Banned
Did they ever release the much better quality version of the gameplay that some publications had? The Facebook/YouTube version sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom