• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen Elop to become new lead of MS' devices division, including Xbox.

ekim

Nokia CEO Stephen Elop will join Microsoft and lead an "expanded devices team." Julie Larson-Green -- Microsoft's current overseer for Devices and Studio Engineering, which encompasses all hardware, including Xbox -- will continue to lead the division until the acquisition is completed, after which she will join Elop's new team. Elop will lead the new division, including Xbox, at that time.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/03/microsoft-to-acquire-nokias-smartphone-division

Nokia-CEO-Stephen-Elop-Bild-Nokia.jpg

thanks to Big Jeffrey

I dont know if you should be putting the man who ran Nokia into the ground in charge of Xbox.

Also, Doesnt this prove what people have been saying all along? That elop was always a Microsoft man and was put there to essentially make Nokia a Microsoft company, with a view to buy them eventually?

ekim

Now I remember the latest Final Bosman Show ...
"Hey - what's this? Xbox? I can play games on my Smartphone... why do we need this?"

Danny 117

On topic: Nokia do produce some nice products, they just don't sell. With the strength of the Xbox brand under Stephen's guidance, it could be a good thing. I wouldn't go around saying he'll run it into the ground. Don Mattrick was doing a good job of that already.

Hopefully it turns around.

Does this guy have any experience in the game industry? Just seems odd that Microsoft is treating the Xbox this way. Was he responsible for the Ngage? That was Nokia right?

He became CEO in 2010. He didn't captain the sinking ship, he captained a sunken ship.

banjo5150

Does this guy have any experience in the game industry? Just seems odd that Microsoft is treating the Xbox this way. Was he responsible for the Ngage? That was Nokia right?

Nokia was ran into ground with decisions made way before Elop. Seems like a good choice anyway. On the other hand Elop is only one letter away from Flop so we'll see.

Name them. Nokia has not acheived anything since the Microsoft deal but increasing irrelevance. If they had adopted andriod instead of WP7/8 they would still be in the game now.

Edit: They have bought Nokias mobile unit. Mission accomplished. Fuck.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I didn't have much confidence that Larson-Green would having gaming as a priority...I've zero confidence Elop will.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The Lumia line has been great, that's what I think is important from the point of view of anyone actually interested in Xbox.

I don't buy that Nokia would be in any different a position as an Android OEM. The only difference would be that their phones wouldn't be anywhere near as pretty.

Sendou

Name them. Nokia has not acheived anything since the Microsoft deal but increasing irrelevance. If they had adopted andriod instead of WP7/8 they would still be in the game now.

To put it shortly: Nokia thought they could control the market and its trends just because they were big. One CEO just doesn't fuck up a company this badly in a few years. The whole company has been disaster for years now and it has little to do with Elop. I mean it surely makes a good story but I can't really take an invidual seriously that claims that Elop was the reason why Nokia was in a shithole.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Wait so what happens to the woman that was put in charge of xbox like 2 months ago?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
To put it shortly: Nokia thought they could control the market and its trends just because they were big. One CEO just doesn't fuck up a company this badly in a few years. The whole company has been disaster for years now and it has little to do with Elop. I mean it surely makes a good story but I can't really take an invidual seriously that claims that Elop was the reason why Nokia was in a shithole.

If Elop is the one who chose to exclusively make Windows phones, then yea, he is to blame. If not, well, then you have a point.

Krilekk

Banned
So it's true he was sent as an industrial spy to bring Nokia in the fold?

It's more likely that this was Nokia's idea all along. They saw they couldn't keep up with the smartphone market, needed a strong partner, got Elop to be evaluated and start the transition to an exclusive WP8.x manufacturer. Apple as Apple, Google has Motorola, Microsoft has Nokia.

How does the Nokia purchase play with recent speculation that Balmer got squeezed out because Microsoft is moving out of the consumer market?

rvy

Banned
Well, doe he have any knowledge about the industry?
Shouldn't they just get someone to head the Xbox division at this point?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

It's a much larger division than just Xbox. I think Phil Spencer is head of the Xbox bit of the division.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Under Ballmer's restructuring, Xbox lost its direct report to the CEO.

Elop is the person Xbox execs will report to now. He is effectively the head.

Ushae

Banned
I dont know if you should be putting the man who ran Nokia into the ground in charge of Xbox.

Also, Doesnt this prove what people have been saying all along? That elop was always a Microsoft man and was put there to essentially make Nokia a Microsoft company, with a view to buy them eventually?

He took over a company that was already in the ground. Looking at Lumias today, he's done very well. I think this is potentially very good news, he's a MUCH better candidate than Julie and Don ever was.

alterego

Let's hope the "Elop Effect" does not spread to the XBOX brand.

Scathing commentary on Elop destroying the Nokia brand

I am about to coin a new term, called the Elop Effect, the most damaging CEO statement conceivable and proof of ultimate management incompetence in the CEO

That is the Elop Effect and it will destroy your company in less than a year, guaranteed.

So there you have it. It would take an incompetent CEO to make such a big error as an Osborne Effect. IT would take a colossal idiot CEO to call his own products crap.

But now we have a new standard for the ultimate in corporate management incompetence and self-inflicted damage: The Elop Effect is where the CEO both calls his own products uncompetitive and simultaneously announces a shift to a new platform that is not available to sell currently.

This is the fastest way to destroy a company.

The Elop Effect will be studied in MBA classes for decades to come as the most damaging CEO statement ever made by any major company CEO.

(And yes, Nokia's Board has to fire Elop now! If Nokia's Board is not firing Elop, they are guilty of complacency in the face of obviously incompetent CEO running their company)

Nice contribute there.

He took over a company that was already in the ground. Looking at Lumias today, he's done very well. I think this is potentially very good news, he's a MUCH better candidate than Julie and Don ever was.

Where has this narrative that Nokia pre-WP7 was in the ground come from? Nokia had a rock sold grip on the budget sector, they were just stuttering in the smartphone space :- A move to andriod woukd of remedied that. They would never competed with samsungs accendance, but they would still exist and be the best of the rest.

How damaging is the Elop Effect. Well, before the Elop Effect, for the last 3 month period before it, ie Quarter-on-Quarter performance, Nokia was growing smartphone unit sales by 7%, growing average sales prices by 14%, growing total smartphone unit sales revenues by 22% and growing profits by 68%. The smartphone unit profits were of the size of 740 million dollars in Q4 of 2010.

Since the Elop Effect, Nokia smartphone unit sales have declined by 41%, average sales prices fell by 9%, total revenues crashed by 47%, and the smartphone unit which had been Nokia's profit engine, in a handset unit that had never generated a loss, became a giant loss-maker. Smartphone units in Q2 now have produced a loss of 230 million dollars! The turnaround (from profit to loss) has had a value lost of 970 million dollars, 3% shy of a Billion dollars of pure profit out of Nokia's biggest profit engine division, destroyed by the Elop Effect.

Madness

So who was worse Leo Apotheker and what he did to HP/Palm during the WebOS/Touchpad debacle and how he cost HP billions or this Elop guy with Nokia?

Daedardus

How long until ValueAct wants them to dump this division? Seems like MS made the deal just before they could get a board seat.

Something's up at Microsoft.

The rumour wasn't that MS would move out of the consumer market - just that there is an activist investor lobbying for such moves. Which was and is the case.
Yeah, but it would seem they are in a much weaker position than previously thought. Rather than slowly getting their way while the opposition is pushed out, they've just been served a 7 billion dollar rebuke.

Noshino

The Lumia line has been great, that's what I think is important from the point of view of anyone actually interested in Xbox.

I don't buy that Nokia would be in any different a position as an Android OEM. The only difference would be that their phones wouldn't be anywhere near as pretty.

If you care whatsoever about Xbox, then you would be asking for another head of division asap.

As for your second paragraph, why wouldnt the phones be as well designed without him in charge?....what does he, or Microsoft, have to do with that?

Under Elop Nokia has:

- Lost huge amount of marketshare
- Discontinued their 2 OSs (one of them being better received than WP)
- Made their handsets WP exclusive, later selling the whole division to MS.

Then add to that not investing anything at all on Android, which still surpasses WP on every single way (growth, marketshare, amount of developers, oem's, etc).

Lumias have been selling, but I would love to see the roi on that given how much marketing and the rock bottom prices the handsets have had.

Top Bottom