• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons and Dragons: Who still plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
#Paizo just posted the 32 finalists for Round one of this years RPG Superstar contest.

They had to create a Wondrous Item and there's some really cool stuff. It really shows the vast openness and flexibility of the Pathfinder system. It really shows me how bad the 4E system was, where most things are combat effects.

http://paizo.com/rpgsuperstar

How did your first night turn out?

Really well. The guys are great, take the game seriously while still having fun.

We've met a few times now and it seems fairly stable. DM has been setting up a Obsidian Portal page, and everyone is slowly fleshing it out.

Good times!

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I know this is a long shot, but could someone hook me up with 3 well-made, basic 4e (hopefully with errata) characters.
I need a Thief, a Wizard, a Cleric and maybe an archer Ranger?
I have a play group of open minded friends ready to play, I bought the books, I know the rules, I even bought the monster vault in addition to the core rule book set.

Only thing, I really don't want to make that many characters. I'm finding it to be tedious with 4e. Its not "free" enough for me to get weird with it and it's hard to get invested and spend the time if I'm making characters I'll never play. My wife made a fighter, but everyone else has been putting off making a guy for months and I don't think goading them into it will help.

If anyone had some 1st lvl character sheets lying around that are better than the "keep on the shadowfell" ones minus the flavor info like names religion and such... it would make the task so much better.

If I could be even more picky, no Tiefling or Dragonborn characters please. My wife made a tiefling, and I'm trying to keep the session pretty traditional.

If anyone could help me out here, I'd marry them or something.

I know this is a long shot, but could someone hook me up with 3 well-made, basic 4e (hopefully with errata) characters.
I have a play group of open minded friends ready to play, I bought the books, I know the rules, I even bought the monster vault in addition to the core rule book set.

Only thing, I really don't want to make that many characters. I'm finding it to be tedious with 4e. Its not "free" enough for me to get weird with it and it's hard to get invested and spend the time if I'm making characters I'll never play. My wife made a fighter, but everyone else has been putting off making a guy for months and I don't think goading them into it will help.

If anyone had some 1st lvl character sheets lying around that are better than the "keep on the shadowfell" ones minus the flavor info like names religion and such... it would make the task so much better.

If I could be even more picky, no Tiefling or Dragonborn characters please. My wife made a tiefling, and I'm trying to keep the session pretty traditional.

Go here and run a few searches. Tons of 4E characters.

www.iplay4e.com

forgot the link there I believe.

Shit, thanks.

Search Tips said:
What kind of search terms can I use?

Characters are searchable by level, name, race, class, build, power source, and role. Campaigns are searchable by name, setting, description, player, and character. You can also combine search terms to narrow the results further.

Here are some examples:

gilpa finds the character named Gilpa, and any campaigns Gilpa is in.
5 finds all 5th level characters.
defender 5 finds all 5th level characters with the defender role.
eladrin finds all characters of the eladrin race.
swordmage finds all characters of the swordmage class.
assault swordmage finds all characters with the assault swordmage build.
arcane defender finds all characters with the arcane power source and the defender role.

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNK YOU!!!!
Oh man, so many google searches and I never found this baby? Fuck man.. I need to try Bing or something! Thank you. This will save me so much time.

No worries. I loved that site when I was playing 4E regularly. It's cool as you can save your character builder files on the site and pull them up on your iPad.

dude

dude

Oh man, this is one of the reasons we stopped playing D&D - Character creation was so long and tedious, we needed a whole session just for that. One of the main reasons we chose the system we're currently using is the ease of character building (took like 20 minutes and we were playing.)

Glad someone helped you out though, I know your problem.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
If you find 4E too restrictive, I'd recommend Pathfinder. The core Rulebook is only 9.99 at Paizo.com, and it's still D&D while being more free form and adaptable.

You can check out the system for free at http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/.

Yeah, I'm aware of pathfinder. I used to play 2e and 3e back in the day, so it might suit me better, but I think 4e will work with my friends a bit smoother. At least the low level stuff.

Yeah, I'm aware of pathfinder. I used to play 2e and 3e back in the day, so it might suit me better, but I think 4e will work with my friends a bit smoother. At least the low level stuff.

Give the Beginner Box some consideration. It's cheap, and an amazing product. Levels 1-5, then the transition to full PF is just buying the Core book. 4E lacks the essential flavor and sacred cows of D&D for me. And I say this after playing 4E exclusively for two years. Fun game, just not really D&D enough in my eyes.

Pathfinder-Beginner-Box.jpg

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Give the Beginner Box some consideration. It's cheap, and an amazing product. Levels 1-5, then the transition to full PF is just buying the Core book. 4E lacks the essential flavor and sacred cows of D&D for me. And I say this after playing 4E exclusively for two years. Fun game, just not really D&D enough in my eyes.

Pathfinder-Beginner-Box.jpg

I already did the research and bought the books, sorry. I think 4e will work pretty great at being my friend's first pen and paper experience though. Not too worried about it, I'll just be the DM as usual :(

I already did the research and bought the books, sorry. I think 4e will work pretty great at being my friend's first pen and paper experience though. Not too worried about it, I'll just be the DM as usual :(

Oh you'll definitely have fun. I loved 4E. I just read your comments about feeling locked in, and thought of some options.

Huge good luck wishes for your group, buddy. :)

Just want to pass on something we used at our table with my Chicago group.

We call it Game Wrap, and basically we start with one player, and move clockwise around with each person in turn picking another player that has not already been picked, and voice one cool moment that he/she did that night. It's usually roleplaying based but doesn't have to be. It could be some ingenious tactical play, or amusing quip. Whatever.

Alongside that, each player highlights something the GM did that night that they appreciated. A NPC, a particularly cool battle moment, and encounter, etc.

At the end, GM goes player by player and compliments one thing that stood out about them and their play that night as well. A character growth moment, a funny moment,, or maybe a clever strategy that took the game outside the box and kept the GM on her toes.

This really fosters group health and camaraderie, and over time promotes good roleplay, etc.

What do you all think? I'd love to hear how this works for you all at the table.

dude

dude

Pathfinder fixes D&D in many great ways. It's better than 4e and it fixed many of the problems I had with 3e, but it still suffers from the same illness as D&D - too much bloat. Adding more spells, for exmaple - Like, WTF? Aren't 80 pages of spells quite enough?
So, I don't think Pathfinder solves the root of the problems in D&D, it does fix almost everything around that though.

Call me an old-fashioned luddite, but lately I seem to prefer systems that are somewhat more old-school in nature - They tend to be simpler, more adaptable and quicker. I really like the second edition of Advanced Fighting Fantasy that was recently released for example, and the new Fabled Lands RPG (with all its many flaws) has served me well in my current game. More than balance (that as a GM I can fix on the go) I care much more that the system be easy to learn and use and that I will spend as little time as possible dealing with it - And that's where some of these systems tend to excel.

EDIT: Well, if you already did your research, disregard this post. As krypt said, I just felt a lot of sympathy for your comment about D&D's character creation process...

We call it Game Wrap, and basically we start with one player, and move clockwise around with each person in turn picking another player that has not already been picked, and voice one cool moment that he/she did that night. It's usually roleplaying based but doesn't have to be. It could be some ingenious tactical play, or amusing quip. Whatever.

Alongside that, each player highlights something the GM did that night that they appreciated. A NPC, a particularly cool battle moment, and encounter, etc.

At the end, GM goes player by player and compliments one thing that stood out about them and their play that night as well. A character growth moment, a funny moment,, or maybe a clever strategy that took the game outside the box and kept the GM on her toes.

This really fosters group health and camaraderie, and over time promotes good roleplay, etc.

What do you all think? I'd love to hear how this works for you all at the table.
That sounds very interesting. I'll bring it up in our next session and maybe we'll try it as well. What do you do when there's literally nothing the player did that deserves a compliment though? :p

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

That sounds really cool... although it'll make me feel like I'm doing performance appraisals.

That sounds really cool... although it'll make me feel like I'm doing performance appraisals.

Nah it should be really lighthearted. If the person did nothing at all, I'd be surprised. These can be super small, such as "I loved it when you supported the team's decision even though I know it was hard for you given your character's background"

Stuff like this can lead to cool discussions and new revelations.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
OK.

I need some advice, I have a problem player. A new one.

I'm not entirely sure what her deal is. Issues from last night's Encounters session:

1. Looking for sexism everywhere. The flavor text describes a statue as "curvaceous." She accuses me of sexism. I am reading the text straigh from the module. Questions why there are no women in the party. She is the only girl in the group, and playing a male dwarf.

2. Has to prove that she is smarter than everyone else.

3. Will not listen to what other players are saying, talks over them and talks over me.

4. When out of healing surges, went to the other table to try to open a dimensiona rift to get healing from them.

She's brought down the group dynamic yesterday, which sucked. I tried to get her to feel more part of the group, but she wasn't having.

If you were a DM, would you just ask her to leave your table?

dude

dude
OK.

I need some advice, I have a problem player. A new one.

I'm not entirely sure what her deal is. Issues from last night's Encounters session:

1. Looking for sexism everywhere. The flavor text describes a statue as "curvaceous." She accuses me of sexism. I am reading the text straigh from the module. Questions why there are no women in the party. She is the only girl in the group, and playing a male dwarf.

2. Has to prove that she is smarter than everyone else.

3. Will not listen to what other players are saying, talks over them and talks over me.

4. When out of healing surges, went to the other table to try to open a dimensiona rift to get healing from them.

She's brought down the group dynamic yesterday, which sucked. I tried to get her to feel more part of the group, but she wasn't having.

If you were a DM, would you just ask her to leave your table?

I would try and carefully tell her you're feeling she's not getting the group's dynamic - Not as an attack or anything like that. Usually I try and place as much blame on myself as possible even if that has nothing to do with it. Usually after talking with someone for like 10 minutes, you start understanding them better and they're easier to handle. If she's obnoxious even in a friendly one on one conversation, I'd ask her to leave.

That's about how I handled every problem player I had with varying degree of success - But usually, just trying and getting to know him a little makes a huge difference when trying to understand how to deal with him.

EDIT: BTW, Krypt, you still owe me a PM :0

Keyouta

Just started playing this with four of my friends, hopefully adding in one more the next time around. Got to level 2 tonight and we're hoping to meet maybe once a week. Playing 4E, It's fun so far, we're all beginners and it's a learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom