• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Mr. Virus

Quick question from someone using an older release:

Should I restore the original kernel using that version of hakchi, then re-dump and re-flash it using the new version?

Lettuce

Added Street Fighter 2 Alpha and also the SNES9x.hmod core for RetroArch but when i load SF2A i get a 'C7: ASm errpr has occurred' message. Why is that?

Bishop89

The Ripping Thread
Best way man and worth it.

I have a Album set up I have found/made up 54 games so far.
here

Very stupid question. No chance of getting viruses from those yeah? Not the album link but ones in the dump thread?

I'm just very cautious coz I've been burnt before.

Also I might wait a couple weeks before I attempt this because I know I'll screw it up somehow lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Very stupid question. No chance of getting viruses from those yeah? Not the album link but ones in the dump thread?

I'm just very cautious coz I've been burnt before.

The ripping thread has like 20 different methods of ripping? Which one are you worried about?

Stuck at work at the moment, can’t wait to start tinkering, I’ll probably be pretty conservative with only an additional 20 or so “must-haves”.

It’s such perfect timing that the FFV translation patch dropped, there were some fan patches of the GBA port that brought it closer to the original but it still missed the mark.

So the games that dont work like Ilussion of Time/Gaia, its there a possibility to have a fix for them in the future?
That the only one i wanted to add at first so it bugs me it doesnt work.

Chucker

Stuck at work at the moment, can't wait to start tinkering, I'll probably be pretty conservative with only an additional 20 or so ”must-haves".

It's such perfect timing that the FFV translation patch dropped, there were some fan patches of the GBA port that brought it closer to the original but it still missed the mark.

What's the name of that FFV translation?

Found it. FFV GBA Script Port.

inner-G I use Lunar IPS and patch before moving.

inner-G

Banned
For the FFV GBA translation, can I just put the .ips in the same directory as the rom, or do I need to actually use some program to patch it?

Grassy

Anyone got a suitable boxart of Rock 'N Roll Racing PAL version? I can't find any, just crappy Ebay pics...
s-l1600yesvu.jpg

any step by step guides regarding how to install and use retroarch on this bad boy?

It's pretty easy:

https://github.com/ClusterM/retroarch-clover/releases

Install/update as usual:

Make sure that you are using hakchi2 version 2.20 or newer.
Download the retroarch_with_cores.zip.
Drag-and-drop it on hakchi2 window.
Press "OK" button and follow instructions.

TLZ

Banned
I remember tinkering around with the nes classic and was only able to fit like 50 games, how come I can fit 180 on the SNES classic? is it due to better compression or more memory on the console itself? Also I remember that after a certain amount of games were added you could no longer see them in the menu on the NES classic, has that issue been fixed? I'm about to try it out but I'm taking my time adding cover art and game data info.

Eh?

I had 700+ games on my Famicom mini!

wrowa

Hm, I can’t get Retroarch to work. I’m trying to start Illusions of Gaia, but all I’m getting is a black screen (and the SNES Mini becomes unresponsive — any way to force a shut down other than to pull the plug?). I installed Cluster’s cores and added “--retroarch” to the command line. Anything else I’m missing?

Lettuce

Why are people requesting such large box art files?. the displayed boxart on the system is not full screen and the system only output 720p anyway?

Dimentios

Fucking finally got my custom background/border working.

@Robin64: Your foldername seems to be wrong? Even tho it worked for you. I used the "preinit.d" folder. Copying the file to the "init.d" folder did nothing for me.

Anyways:

Also, you don't have to leave space in the middle for the picture. The system takes care of that. You don't even have to resize the images. You only have to modify the bottom right one, if you prefer. But "deleting" the middle part and smaller resolutions reduce the file size of the images drastically. So that's an necessary step indeed.

I figured out how to modify the display filter. Copying the file out and then moving it back seems to mess up the permissions, so it didn't have execute permissions and would fail to launch. If you make a proper hmod then it would retain the correct permissions, I imagine.

The horizontal linear filter looks great to me. This is how I've always preferred to play because it somewhat mimics the behavior of an analog, line-progressive signal-- the horizontal lines are discrete from one another, so pixels end up very sharp vertically but slightly blurred horizontally.

You can also disable the linear filter entirely while in CRT mode.

Seik

Banned
Looks like there might be a problem with the hack doubling the power drain of the console and causing it to heat up.
Reported by several users over at gbatemp.
Might be smart to hold off for now.

Any users here experienced this?

I was just about to go for it but then this post got me upset. :/

I figured out how to modify the display filter. Copying the file out and then moving it back seems to mess up the permissions, so it didn't have execute permissions and would fail to launch. If you make a proper hmod then it would retain the correct permissions, I imagine.

The horizontal linear filter looks great to me. This is how I've always preferred to play because it somewhat mimics the behavior of an analog, line-progressive signal-- the horizontal lines are discrete from one another, so pixels end up very sharp vertically but slightly blurred horizontally.

You can also disable the linear filter entirely while in CRT mode.

I would fucking love to turn off the filtering, but keep scanlines. I need to know how to do this.

LordRaptor

Turtles in Time has sound skipping for me. Is that a known issue?

Are you using a PAL ROM?
Most every report of stuttering sound I've seen in the last few days is due to that

e:
sorry if someone has asked this before, but how many exactly is too many?

More than 31 titles and the icons at the bottom of the screen overflow.
I don't know what the realistic upper limits of usability are, I only have around 40 games on mine

Maxrunner

Looks like there might be a problem with the hack doubling the power drain of the console and causing it to heat up.
Reported by several users over at gbatemp.
Might be smart to hold off for now.

will you be able the maintain the save states of the original 21 games if you revert to the factory kernel?

LordRaptor

May have missed it - does this add a button combo reset to get back to the home menu from the standard controller?

yea - the 'default' of the full release is L+R+select+Start but thats also soft reset fort he game in question, so you might want to change it - theres an option to change it to whatever combo you want (I'm using down+select as the pre release had)

Zee-Row

Banned
Doom runs kinda crappy. Not because of the SNES port job but it runs at a lower framerate than even an original SNES.

Spacebar

Getting a C8 error when I shut down from the menu. If I shut down while a game is running no error. Anyone else with this issue?

J_Viper

Excellent and detailed write-up OP

Two questions though,

Is it possible for a dummy like me to permanently ruin the console doing this?

Can I also download NES games to it?

I would fucking love to turn off the filtering, but keep scanlines. I need to know how to do this.

If you haven't done much of this yet, read the OP first so you have an idea of how everything works. You need to overmount the file /usr/bin/clover-canoe-shvc. Make a copy of it onto your computer, then make a text file named something like p0202_filter with two lines--
Code:
overmount /usr/bin/clover-canoe-shvc
and a blank line underneath. Put the file you created in /var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/etc/preinit.d/

Now, edit your copy of clover-canoe-shvc based on how you want your filters to behave. There are three relevant lines here.
Code:
keep-aspect-ratio) options="$options -filter 1 -magfilter X" ;; //4:3 mode
pixel-perfect) options="$options -filter 1 --pixel-perfect" ;;
crt-filter) options="$options -filter 2 -magfilter X" ;;

-magfilter is what controls the display filter. Set it to 3 to disable the bilinear filter, or set it to 2 to enable the horizontal-only linear filter.

-filter controls the scanline filter. You can turn it on by setting it to 2, for example if you want to use scanlines in pixel perfect mode as well. Or you can set it to 1 to get the blur filter without any scanlines.

After you set it up how you like, copy that file to /var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/usr/bin/. After you copy it, you may need to adjust the permissions for the file-- if you're using WinSCP (you probably should), right click on the file on the SNES, click properties, and checkmark all of the permissions.

Top Bottom