• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 500k fastest selling original game ever on XBLA, Steam version coming

statham

This milestone continues the record-breaking success of the game, making it the fastest selling original game ever on Xbox Live Arcade.
The studio is already putting the final touches on the second Title Update, which should delight "State of Decay" fans. Undead Labs interacts directly with the game’s fan community via Twitter and Facebook, as well as the official "State of Decay" forums at forums.undeadlabs.com, and the content of Title Updates is determined based directly on player feedback.
We're thrilled and humbled that gamers are embracing the game. Record breaking sales are great, but the thing we're proudest of is that people who bought the game are having a great time playing it. That's why we do what we do, and what keeps us going back in to do it again.
We're currently working on a PC version for release on Steam. Fortunately it's been in development alongside the Xbox 360 version since Day 1, so we just need to integrate with the Steam platform and add native support for keyboard and mouse control. We'll also continue to issue Title Updates at a fast pace to refine game balance and fix bugs.
For a start, I can tell you we're working on a sandbox mode designed to be a pure survival simulation. Beyond that, all I can say is we pay very close attention to what fans of the game are asking for, and their needs will largely guide our development priorities, so stay tuned.
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/games-state-of-decay-fastest-selling

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Good for them. Played the demo and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it seems to have some serious framerate and tearing issues that have prevented me from making a purchase just yet.

Marleyman

Banned
Good for them. Played the demo and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it seems to have some serious framerate and tearing issues that have prevented me from making a purchase just yet.

Don't let it bother you, honestly. I was the same way but it isn't even an issue due to how damn good it is.

def sim

I'll be looking forward to the Steam release. I thought I read on here that they haven't even started development on PC yet, but I'm glad that's not the case.

DTKT

Nice!

Will absolutely buy it on Steam. I'd love some more open world/build your stuff/craft/survive games.

LNBL

I'll be looking forward to the Steam release. I thought I read on here that they haven't even started development on PC yet, but I'm glad that's not the case.

Undead Labs ‏@undeadlabs 5m
Do you know what it's LIKE knowing it was coming to Steam and not being able to even hint? My tongue is nearly bitten through!

whyman

I love this game but it runs real bad on xbox 360. I will for sure get it for PC with the sandbox mode aswell.

border

I was just about to buy the game today.

Looks like I will be waiting for the Steam version instead now though.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I won't lie, the framerate can get pretty terrible, especially while driving. And there's some other bugs that can really screw over your game. But you really shouldn't let that hold you back from one of the most enjoyable games in a long time.

Absolutely deserved. Best game of the year and easily the best zed game ever released. It's perfect.

Anyway, the big news here is sandbox mode! HOLY SHIT, YO!

Hindle

Banned
I really need to buy this game soon.

Half a million sales, and what's the price MS are charging? It wouldn't surprise me if it's more profitable then most retail games released so far.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I really need to buy this game soon.

Half a million sales, and what's the price MS are charging? It wouldn't surprise me if it's more profitable then most retail games released so far.

$20.

I'm hoping to see an increase in the number of $20-$40 direct download games heading into next-gen so we have more than indie titles and AAAA games.

So far Minecraft and State of Decay are setting a great precedent for it working though.

def sim

Undead Labs ‏@undeadlabs 5m
Do you know what it's LIKE knowing it was coming to Steam and not being able to even hint? My tongue is nearly bitten through!

That just means they could not announce it officially for Steam until now, doesn't it?

LNBL

jb2pUpRHvFxxlh.png

I'm hoping to see an increase in the number of $20-$40 direct download games heading into next-gen so we have more than indie titles and AAAA games.

So far Minecraft and State of Decay are setting a great precedent for it working though.

Definitely. We should have seen a lot more this gen, but for whatever reason, it was largely ignored in favour of a retail release. I can reel off a dozen of so titles that would have been much better suited to a $20 digital release than retail.

That just means they could not announce it officially for Steam until now, doesn't it?

That's how I read it.

Das-J

Law of the West
Props to the team - There are some damn good people over there!

Still a little bitter that I didn't get a chance to work on it... :p

It could be my game of the year. I've literally never gotten bored while playing it and I can't say that about a lot of games, even the great ones.

The Xbox 360 launched some really fucking awesome games in its lifetime that sold like wildfire and spread to other platforms. I hope the same will occur with XBLA this generation.

No words. I'm melting down in delight over here. I'm grinning like a loon just imagining the possibilities.

GREATEST ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAME EVER. I fear the bar has been set too high for any other developer to reach or even surpass.

What have you done Undead Labs?

LNBL

No words. I'm melting down in delight over here. I'm grinning like a loon just imagining the possibilities.

GREATEST ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAME EVER. I fear the bar has been set too high for any other developer to reach or even surpass.

What have you done Undead Labs?

Do you think they are weighing their chances of launching that MMO on the Xbox one?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Really glad games like this can be successful. Should do well on Steam.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not sure why there's no co-op either. Bet they'll add it in the inevitable sequel.

I'll have to download the trial later, it looks an awful lot like Dead Rising though with slightly faster zombies.

They've actually been talking about patching it in, iirc.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well good for them, and the fact that it's coming to PC is even better.

Will grab on Steam upon release most likely.

Bought the game almost two weeks ago on day one but still haven't played it yet. Hoping to finally play it this week. Happy for their success.

sunnz

Absolutely deserved. Best game of the year and easily the best zed game ever released. It's perfect.

Anyway, the big news here is sandbox mode! HOLY SHIT, YO!

And you know what?

I actually agree. Crazy to think a small indie team making an XB arcade game can do something many many developers with a tonne of more money couldn't.

Them and Dean Hall ( Dayz maker) are one of the best and showing others the REAL type of zombie survival game we all want.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And you know what?

I actually agree. Crazy to think a small indie team making an XB arcade game can do something many many developers with a tonne of more money couldn't.

Them and Dean Hall ( Dayz maker) are one of the best and showing others the REAL type of zombie survival game we all want.

Well betting against Jeff Strain is usually a bad idea.

First he was a notable senior staffer on many of Blizzard's hits during their prime. Then he founded ArenaNet and launched two highly successful MMOs.

Coming out on top with the third go around only made sense! :p

Top Bottom