• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOVA 3 |OT| Gameloft's Unreal 3 powered shooter sampler plate on your ios ($7)

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Hmm, so no DOF on the new iPad?

Looks that way , but I"ll happily take the incredibly sharp\detailed graphics over some additional special effect.

See the screenshots in the iOS game thread ipad3 looks the best even without the extra FX

So basically if want mobile FPS's ipad\iOS is the platform of choice now?

Oh how the times they are a changing........

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wow, the difference is much bigger than I thought.

iPhone 4S:
ib2dfEynneuCU1.jpg

iPad 2:
iKYbuJ69T8k2J.jpg

iPad 3:
i0KOvYf3XC6R1.jpg

The iPhone 4S and iPad 2 versions have particle effects, more lighting effects, and more misc effects. The iPad 3 doesn't have any of that - just a higher resolution.

I've got one more set of pictures I can upload if anyone's interested. Say that word, though, because it's kind of a pain to do this on an iPad and I don't want to go through the hassle if no one cares.

Piggus

Blah. Looking at that comparison, looks like I'm skipping this. I don't know why devs feel obligated to make 3D games like this run at the iPad 3's native res when it would look better at a lower res with more effects and AA.

tinfoilhatman

Blah. Looking at that comparison, looks like I'm skipping this. I don't know why devs feel obligated to make 3D games like this run at the iPad 3's native res when it would look better at a lower res with more effects and AA.

Yea that sucks, but it looks INCREDIBLY sharp(jaggies are allot harder to see too) on the new ipad I like it.

Gazzawa

Bought NOVA 2 last year. Yeah it looked and sounded aight
Made me physcially sick to play tho. Dogshit controls. I am one of those people who say FPS cant be done without a physical controller. Swipe the screen to move the camera smh...

tinfoilhatman

Bought NOVA 2 last year. Yeah it looked and sounded aight
Made me physcially sick to play tho. Dogshit controls. I am one of those people who say FPS cant be done without a physical controller. Swipe the screen to move the camera smh...

Skipped 2 but never had an issue with Nova 1 , did you try and "tilt" controls?

Alchemy

Can I have example of a "fun" mobile FPS?

If by "mobile" you mean "smartphone", I have yet to find one. The best option I've played so far was RAGE but that is a different beast because of the on rails mechanics, and it still isn't that good. Just because you might consider NOVA a good "mobile" FSP doesn't mean it is actually good. It is like being the craziest guy in an insane asylum, not something to be overly proud of.

If I'm playing mobile games I'd rather play Plants vs Zombies or anything from Kairosoft. But maybe I'm an oddball because I don't consume so many mobile games I feel the need to play extremely crappy versions of console style games on my iPad.

tinfoilhatman

If by "mobile" you mean "smartphone", I have yet to find one. The best option I've played so far was RAGE but that is a different beast because of the on rails mechanics, and it still isn't that good. Just because you might consider NOVA a good "mobile" FSP doesn't mean it is actually good. It is like being the craziest guy in an insane asylum, not something to be overly proud of.

If I'm playing mobile games I'd rather play Plants vs Zombies or anything from Kairosoft. But maybe I'm an oddball because I don't consume so many mobile games I feel the need to play extremely crappy versions of console style games on my iPad.

No by mobile I mean anything that's mobile(Vita, 3DS included) yea well it's no Halo but for those of us who like mobile FPS and don't mind touch control it's pretty much all we have to choose from and something is better than nothing.

kinggroin

Banned
No by mobile I mean anything that's mobile(Vita, 3DS included) yea well it's no Halo but for those of us who like mobile FPS and don't mind touch control it's pretty much all we have to choose from and something is better than nothing.

You're kinda proving his point.

Glix

Is this better than the free Wolfenstein I got yesterday. Cuz I'm surprised by how much I'm loving a 20 year old game. I worry that being able to look around freely will fuck everything up

tinfoilhatman

You're kinda proving his point.

My point is beggars can't be choosers, if your options are mediocre FPS or NO FPS then I take mediocre FPS's over nothing.

I personally didn't have an issue with Nova 1 , no worse than what was on consoles Pre-Xbox1 and Halo.

Find me a PS2 FPS better than say Nova 3 or ANY of the top tier shooters on iOS, oh and go back in time and find it for 7$

kinggroin

Banned
My point is beggars can't be choosers, if your options are mediocre FPS or NO FPS then I take mediocre FPS's over nothing.

I personally didn't have an issue with Nova 1 , no worse than what was on consoles Pre-Xbox1 and Halo.

So you just admitted it's a mediocre first person shooter? Why argue with him in the first place.

tinfoilhatman

So you just admitted it's a mediocre first person shooter? Why argue with him in the first place.

Sigh.......I'm arguing that its better than anything else out there available(mobile), how is that so difficult to understand?

So by that same logic no one should have played a FPS between GoldenEye(N64) and Halo(Xbox1)?

Sigh.......I'm arguing that its better than anything else out there available(mobile), how is that so difficult to understand?

So by that same logic no one should have played a FPS between GoldenEye(N64) and Halo(Xbox1)?

Not if better ones were available? You're making a pretty stupid point. You're saying that you play bad games because the good games are on a different platform. Why not just use the different platform then? I only play good games, regardless of the platform. There's no reason to waste my time with nonsense.

burgerdog

Wow, the difference is much bigger than I thought.

The iPhone 4S and iPad 2 versions have particle effects, more lighting effects, and more misc effects. The iPad 3 doesn't have any of that - just a higher resolution.

I've got one more set of pictures I can upload if anyone's interested. Say that word, though, because it's kind of a pain to do this on an iPad and I don't want to go through the hassle if no one cares.

Please do.

Alchemy

While not first person, both Uncharted Golden Abyss and Unit 13 have better shooting mechanics. Hell, even Metroid Prime Hunters is more enjoyable than NOVA.

tinfoilhatman

Not if better ones were available? You're making a pretty stupid point. You're saying that you play bad games because the good games are on a different platform. Why not just use the different platform then? I only play good games, regardless of the platform. There's no reason to waste my time with nonsense.

OK should I strap my 60inch plasma screen to a backpack and take it with me on the bus?

What other mobile platform has better FPS's?

OK so the answer is none(uncharted is cool but not a FPS) obviously the answer is "They don't exist"

tranciful

While not first person, both Uncharted Golden Abyss and Unit 13 have better shooting mechanics. Hell, even Metroid Prime Hunters is more enjoyable than NOVA.

I don't plan on buying NOVA, but c'mon -- NOVA is a fraction of the price of those games. I'd imagine it also had a fraction of the budget.

Alchemy

I don't plan on buying NOVA, but c'mon -- NOVA is a fraction of the price of those games. I'd imagine it also had a fraction of the budget.

Just because something is cheaper doesn't make it more fun. The issue raised wasn't one of cost, but quality. I'd rather pay $30-$50 for a better game, but I guess I'm weird.

tinfoilhatman

Just because something is cheaper doesn't make it more fun. The issue raised wasn't one of cost, but quality. I'd rather pay $30-$50 for a better game, but I guess I'm weird.

No your not weird but to totally disregard costs makes you look anti mobile(as in iOS android) because everyone knows those games are lower budget.

LOL, so I should expect as much from a 7$ game compared to a 40$ game?

So please explain to me how that works in the real world of budgets and profit margins?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Your arguments are dumb. NOVA 3 is a good game, because good is subjective. If you're able to master the hard-to-learn controls, you'll find a meaty FPS, better than most portable FPS offerings.

There's no point to be proven. Alchemy apparently sucks at/hates touch controls. That's a shame, and it's a shame because that's a barrier for enjoying the game.

And the game is good. Go whine somewhere else if you don't like touch controls.

Alchemy

No your not weird but to totally disregard costs makes you look anti mobile(as in iOS android) because everyone knows those games are lower budget.

LOL, so I should expect as much from a 7$ game compared to a 40$ game?

So please explain to me how that works in the real world of budgets and profit margins?

It seems you have trouble with reading comprehension, my point didn't had anything to do with cost of those games. The game is bad, you asked me to justify my opinion. I did and you then moved the goal posts to find a better mobile FPS. I did (Metroid Prime Hunters) and just a couple off the top of my head examples of games with better shooting mechanics.

Now price is an issue in this mobile FPS comparison? Fine, NOVA wins the war of cheap shitty mobile FPS games. It still isn't worth $7, because my original point was that there are better mobile games than NOVA.

How does it run on an iPhone 4?

How good are the controls? I remember enjoying the controls in NOVA 1 better than 2 despite the layouts being identical.

I always wonder how/where these other people live that they're always on busses or trains or some shit. That just seems crazy to me, I've never lived anywhere that had public transportation like that and I've lived all over the U.S. I feel like most pro-mobile people play their mobile games in the comfort of their own home and then justify the shit on the Internet by saying they can take it on the "bus." Maybe I'm just crazy though.

tinfoilhatman

It seems you have trouble with reading comprehension, my point didn't had anything to do with cost of those games. The game is bad, you asked me to justify my opinion. I did and you then moved the goal posts to find a better mobile FPS. I did (Metroid Prime Hunters) and just a couple off the top of my head examples of games with better shooting mechanics.

Now price is an issue in this mobile FPS comparison? Fine, NOVA wins the war of cheap shitty mobile FPS games. It still isn't worth $7, because my original point was that there are better mobile games than NOVA.

Reading comprehension huh?

Here's a quote of my first post regarding the quality of the game where I mention cost comparisons.

Terrible relative to what?

Are you comparing it to a 60$ console FPS or the sad state of non-existent FPS's on PSP\Vita\3DS?

Peterthumpa

The game is not running well, smoothly enough on my 4S. Given how this is the godamn latest and best from Apple, people with anything lower should be warned.

And the thread's title should be changed, this is not UE3.

Dacvak

I'll admit that tinfoilhatman's argument isn't completely bulletproof, but yours is just silly. By your logic, no one should ever play a video game that's less than a 9/10, since there are better games out there. If someone's looking for a FPS on their portable system, and that person has no problem with touch controls, then NOVA is a fantastic choice. It's cheap, it's extremely pretty, it's fairly long, it has good online multiplayer... How you can sit there and say it wins the war of shitty mobile FPS games is beyond me.

Not everyone has a disability with touch controls. If you can't enjoy the game, that's a bummer for you, but there's no reason to bash it because of a barrier issue YOU have with the game.

Edit: And, so far, this has been more enjoyable than Unit 13.

tinfoilhatman

I always wonder how/where these other people live that they're always on busses or trains or some shit. That just seems crazy to me, I've never lived anywhere that had public transportation like that and I've lived all over the U.S. I feel like most pro-mobile people play their mobile games in the comfort of their own home and then justify the shit on the Internet by saying they can take it on the "bus." Maybe I'm just crazy though.

I see thousands of people on buses and trains 4 days a week, have you never been to Chicago, New York or basically ANY major metro area north of the Carolinas?

Bah, gonna skip this cause of the shitty ipad 3 version. Id rather play with lower rez and better framerate.

ipad3 has better framerate than 4s or ipad2 just less special effects

numble

You've never lived in New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, or D.C.?

Hmm, so no DOF on the new iPad?

from the dead guy shot alone there is no DOF or ambient glow, some scenes in youtube videos have motion blur (bomb in the building about 5 minutes in the first level) and no dynamic shadows on ipad 3.

I do hope that they stick ipad 2 res as an option asap.

ipad3 has better framerate than 4s or ipad2 just less special effects

really, because it's rather dog poop right now especially in multi.

tinfoilhatman

from the dead guy shot alone there is no DOF or ambient glow, some scenes in youtube videos have motion blur (bomb in the building about 5 minutes in the first level) and no dynamic shadows on ipad 3.

Agreed but I do like the insane sharpness and jaggy free version on ipad3

tinfoilhatman

Downloading tonight I just heard it(frame-rate) was better on ipad3 , I probably won't play MP at all so who knows.

buying it, but disappointed in the loss of effects. maybe they'll find way to get them in at a later date through a patch. either way, I'd rather have a great FPS than bitch about some sfx.

oh, and add me to the "give me the option of iPad 2 resolution with all the effects and allow me to re-size to iPad 3 screen" camp.

Anyone find a way to customize the button layouts?

I kinda want the ironsight button to be bigger.

And god, the guy walks at a super fast pace. At least twice as fast as master chief imo.

Dacvak

Anyone find a way to customize the button layouts?

I kinda want the ironsight button to be bigger.

And god, the guy walks at a super fast pace. At least twice as fast as master chief imo.
You can't resize the on-screen buttons, but you can move them around however you'd like. It's buried somewhere in the controls/options menu - you have to scroll down to get to it.

kinggroin

Banned

No. God almighty, you've gone completely off track (and taken alchemy wth you).

He says he's gonna pass since he doesn't find the series enjoyable at all. No comparison to other series is needed if he doesn't care for it. There being so little competition doesn't change how he feels, nor should it.

You asking what you did was completely pointless. If you enjoy the game, then continue to do so without questioning someone else's opinion on the matter.

Kurdel

Banned
I only got to play for about 30 minutes on an iPad 3.

Framerate is quite bad. Will give the single player another shot that is for sure.

I am wondering how this title would do on the Vita if it were ported over. I am starting to get sick of the lowered standards for iOS games....

Top Bottom