• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truly Weird Stuff Showing Up in Steam Database (Halo, KOF13, other unlikely stuff)

Eideka

Banned
http://cdr.xpaw.ru/blog/3/

Since a few hours ago, we have started processing Steam Hub names in the database (hence why a ton of apps were "updated"). Some people noticed things such as Halo 3 appearing in the database. Now, these Game Hub pages might very well be real/truthful, since I have no idea how they are made. Does Valve make these, or are they automatically made when a publisher enters/reserves a game?

In both cases, there are lots of errors in the Steam Database, some bigger than others, and this might just be one of them. Is it a placeholder and is Halo 3 actually on it's way to Steam? Or is it just another Steam Hub page that one of the publishers made for name-reserveration's sake? Or did some completely different developer need a cover to put a test version of his/her game under? Who knows?!

Everything you read on this site is subject to change, and until there's an official announcement from whomever is making whatever, it's not 100% truth. For all we know, at one point all the Halo's might have been coming to Steam, until they decided to go XBOX exclusive with Halo 3. We know just as much as you do. For now, let's just take the Game Hub information with a pinch ton of salt.

It was fun while it lasted.

Eusis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brütal_Legend
https://twitter.com/Dracogen/status/297914878151249920
http://cdr.xpaw.ru/sub/19259/

it's been 3 and a half years, the company has made dozens more games, the publisher considers the game a dead letter, etc etc

I linked that exact thing in the OP!
PC's basically eternal, pending something going horribly wrong with newer versions of Windows (and even then) games can still come very late whether it's a new PC port or even a translation effort, as XSEED and Carpe Fulgur's readily shown.

So, yeah, it's absolutely possible.

I think Halo CE on Steam would be the first game I would play daily, at a scheduled time. Like, at 6 to 7 P.M.

No distractions, just brrrbrbrbbrbbr.

A guy can dream.

PaulloDEC

We may not have any confirmation on any of the listed titles yet, but one indisputable fact is that someone put those names into the system, deliberately (unless they spilled a drink and accidentally mashed Halo 1-3 in there by mistake).

It may not mean what we think it means, but surely it means something significant? How could it not?

Not only someone did put those names, someone took out the Halo 3 hub. And that was on Steam itself, right?

Let's roll out the conspiracies and HL-3 conjectures!

I mean, A FIRE IN THE SKY, THE SIGN OF THE CROSS:

a) Gaben conference about changing Steam and the bottleneck blabber
b) Registry discoveries
c) GAF meltdown

Still not Steam store page mockup with Halo 3? :(

Game Guru

To clarify about Final Fantasy, it was not the PS1 Final Fantasy games, but FF7 & FF8, the two PS1 Final Fantasy games with PC ports. In addition, Final Fantasy VII PC has been ported to modern systems, just that the Squaresoft part of Square Enix is incompetent unlike the either the Eidos or Enix parts of Square Enix.

People have commented on the unlikelihood of SNK supporting the PC due to piracy, but I don't actually see this as a problem... as Steam is a form of DRM. Why not take advantage of Steamworks for DRM and hopefully try to make money off those accursed pirates instead? Sega seems to be doing well enough to port most of their Genesis library and remake a few Sega CD, Saturn, and DreamCast titles, so why couldn't SNK make more money off of their old Neo Geo titles to people who'd rather get games legally? I'd definitely would buy them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
http://cdr.xpaw.ru/blog/3/

It was fun while it lasted.

The blog post you're quoting predates any of your posts in the thread, it is not substantiated by fact (there are not "plenty of errors" in the Steam database) and removing any particular community hub or closing the hole that caused this information to leak to begin with (which is what they've done--every single community hub for stuff that's not publicly available now redirects to the front page) doesn't change the status of the information as true or false.

Bumpers

The hubs have been removed, but the groups themselves still exist, I still seem to be a member of them.

The KOFXIII one is freaking me out a tiny bit however.
kDixbqO.png

Momentary

Banned
....KoF series on Steam. I would pay full price for these games.

....Halo series. I would catch it on sale. I never campaign mode after 1... this would be a great way to catch up on everything.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Games -> Add non-Steam game to library

GOG even had Duke 3D for free a month or two ago.
I know, and I got it from there when it was free. But ever since discovering Steam I can't be bothered to manually install games anymore, nor keep track of the installation folder if I ever want to delete it.

With Steam I don't even have to download the installer, so it's much more practical to me. Besides, it's such a great game that I won't feel (too) bad for double-dipping on it (I have the game on CD too).

Before Steambox, this would make sense.
After the announcement of Steambox, this doesn't make a lot of business sense for Microsoft.
I call bogus.

But then again... they did recently release a game on iPhone with Achievements, so who knows.

Blizzard

Banned
My wish is Tie Fighter. After the success of Star Citizen maybe Lucas Arts will give the genre a go again? I can dream at least.
Oh man, I would love Tie Fighter (I've only played X-Wing vs Tie Fighter) -and- Grim Fandango (never played it). And Day of the Tentacle which I also never played. I suspect some of my X-Wing vs Tie Fighter memories are through rose-colored glasses though, since even with a joystick I was terrible at that game, and the graphics are probably extraordinarily dated.

I wonder how well the set of games with Fate of Atlantis sold?

Grief.exe

I don't get why you are so against games coming to other platforms. Literally every game should be on PC.

This is true.

Makes them accessible for the foreseeable future.
Scales with technology gains.
Always available, regardless of hardware or platform. (Piracy is actually a good thing here).

It baffles me that nobody did this yet. Come on, dudes, you can do way better than this, it was 30 seconds in Photoshop! :p

uXRfXnW.jpg

Note: This is fake. (Just for those who don't read, I'm bolding it.)

SparkTR

Before Steambox, this would make sense.
After the announcement of Steambox, this doesn't make a lot of business sense for Microsoft.
I call bogus.

It won't run on Steambox if it is Linux-based. But you're right, if a 'Halo Trilogy' Steam pack was being made, the Steambox might have ended it due to Microsoft's competitiveness. Regardless, if this is true, there was/is a Halo 3 PC under development that could be released for Windows 8 Store.

Also, can somebody explain why these community hubs are just being noticed now? Are they being created for an impending/confirmed release, or is it all automatic?

Top Bottom