• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss 3DS Confirmed for NA by Nintendo Power

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Aeana said:
Don't worry. This isn't just a passive announcement in NP, there's an interview with Yoshizumi where they talk about the NA version, and he even says that there will be more about ToGf and its platform very soon. Get excited.

Are they porting the F content back to the Wii or what?

Aeana

Kagari said:
Are they porting the F content back to the Wii or what?
Not mentioned.

This is verbatim from NP:

Q: At the time of this interview, Tales of Graces F has been announced for Western release, but no platform has been specified. Is there any hope for the release of the Wii version?
A: You will be hearing more about Tales of Graces F very soon.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Aeana said:
Not mentioned.

This is verbatim from NP:

Q: At the time of this interview, Tales of Graces F has been announced for Western release, but no platform has been specified. Is there any hope for the release of the Wii version?
A: You will be hearing more about Tales of Graces F very soon.

Interesting.

I don't see them waiting until 2012 to release a Cafe version though.

Synless

Kagari said:
Interesting.

I don't see them waiting until 2012 to release a Cafe version though.
Neither do I, I just think everyone wants games to be announced on cafe at this point. My bet is PS3/360 release with a possible Wii release as well. They are taking far too long to give out the info because they are porting it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Synless said:
Neither do I, I just think everyone wants games to be announced on cafe at this point. My bet is PS3/360 release with a possible Wii release as well. They are taking far too long to give out the info because they are porting it.

That's also possible.

NateDrake said:
The Wii Tales was a weak one. Abyss is far better and if you thought Vesperia looked cool then Abyss will deliver and impress you.

Coooo, sounds like I'll be purchasing this. I wonder how long it's going to take before it comes out; I really need some new games for my 3DS.

matmanx1

ToA 3DS confirmed for the US? YAY! That makes me very happy and my faith in Namco is restored a little bit each time they make an announcement like this. I can't wait to see what the release date is for ToA and to hear more on ToG F and whichever platform it ends up on. I don't really have a strong preference (HD version of some sort would be nice) as I own all of the current gen systems and will play it on what ever it lands on.

Off topic but what is your new avatar from Kagari? Just curious =)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm shocked as everyone else is about them releasing Abyss for the 3DS. I was sure that they would skip over this considering that they've already released it. Oh well, I would definitely pick this up. Now about that Graces f....

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
kayos90 said:
I'm shocked as everyone else is about them releasing Abyss for the 3DS. I was sure that they would skip over this considering that they've already released it. Oh well, I would definitely pick this up. Now about that Graces f....

Well, when you think about it, it's a pretty easy decision considering the game is already done and translated/edited, they can hop on the budding 3DS market, and appease to their angry Tales fanbase in one fell swoop XD
Then again, this is... haha nm

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Akselziys said:
Well, when you think about it, it's a pretty easy decision considering the game is already done and translated/edited, they can hop on the budding 3DS market, and appease to their angry Tales fanbase in one fell swoop XD
Then again, this is... haha nm

It still costs money. I'm pretty sure they would still spend a considerable amount of money even if the script and such were already done before. Still, I'm glad that they are bringing this over. From what I've seen in the NP magazine, they have considerable information to draw people in.

Rpgmonkey

Nice. Just hope I'll be able to find a copy whenever I get a 3DS. Amazon's pretty good at keeping them in stock though.

Mostly waiting on Graces, however.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
kayos90 said:
It still costs money. I'm pretty sure they would still spend a considerable amount of money even if the script and such were already done before. Still, I'm glad that they are bringing this over. From what I've seen in the NP magazine, they have considerable information to draw people in.

Yeah, but the money they'd need to spend would mainly be cartridge manufacturing/shipping, debug (considerably shorter I'd imagine), and marketing, which would be amazingly cheap in their eyes when Tales games normally are much more expensive due to the massive amounts of translation and editing along with US voice recording which is usually pretty expensive for a voice heavy series like Tales.

Thank you for Tales of Graces F, Namco :3

Amir0x

Banned
This is one of those old games i would actually re-buy again only because the loading in the PS2 original is completely intolerable and this is my way to actually finish it

Celine

duckroll said:
The only options were ToS and TotA really, and ToS was already re-released once in Japan for the PS2, so that makes TotA the only Tales game which has not been ported before. It's in 3D, it's PS2-spec, it has never been released before, there's product synergy worldwide with the manga and the anime. It's the perfect choice!
Why no Legendia ?
Wait did Scamco released two main Tales Of on the same platform with just half year between the two o_O

snesfreak

Banned
Awesome, another game to preorder!
The load times made the PS2 version near-unplayable for me
*remembers it's Namco*
...I-I'm sure they won't fuck it up, right?

Thoraxes

About damn time.
This is exciting! Hopefully we'll hear more on F at E3 too!
This game is going to look marvelous in 3D.

Paracelsus

Magicpaint said:
Ah...could this be why we haven't seen an actual trailer all this while? I would never buy a copy if it ran like that for real (I have both English and Japanese versions of the original)!

Are you really that surprised that 60fps games running in 3D will suffer a framerate drop? Heck, I'm not even sure how close was ToTA to 60fps to begin with.

Bizzyb

Banned
Aeana said:
Don't worry. This isn't just a passive announcement in NP, there's an interview with Yoshizumi where they talk about the NA version, and he even says that there will be more about ToGf and its platform very soon. Get excited.

Well now that's a different story!

Awesome News!

Aeana

In the interview, Yoshizumi mentions that they had to redo the character models to improve performance. Maybe that was done after that video was captured? Here's to hoping.

Rpgmonkey

Paracelsus said:
Are you really that surprised that 60fps games running in 3D will suffer a framerate drop? Heck, I'm not even sure how close was ToTA to 60fps to begin with.

Abyss almost always ran really smoothly in battles. Think their target was 60fps.

Only the craziest stuff screwed up the framerate, but it could handle a few spells and attacks going off at once.

Paracelsus said:
Only the battles in Abyss run @ 60 fps.

Aeana said:
In the interview, Yoshizumi mentions that they had to redo the character models to improve performance. Maybe that was done after that video was captured? Here's to hoping.
I really, really hope so. But by redoing the character models, does he mean downgrading? :eek:

Amir0x

Banned
C-Jo said:
something wrong with my eyes

saddy.gif

Xilium

Usually I'm a fan of remakes but the original game came out only 5 years ago. Is this really something to get excited about?

Also, the complete 360 between how people react to PSP/NGP ports/remakes and how they react to 3DS ports/remakes is always a joy to watch.

matmanx1

There was definitely some slowdown going on in the battle sequence but I'm hoping it's a consequence of the 3D being on and that by turning off the 3D the game will run at a smooth frame rate. Either that or Namco is still tightening the game up and it won't be an issue with the final release. Either one would be acceptable.

Amir0x

Banned
Xilium said:
Usually I'm a fan of remakes but the original game came out only 5 years ago. Is this really something to get excited about?

Also, the complete 360 between how people react to PSP/NGP ports/remakes and how they react to 3DS ports/remakes is always a joy to watch.

I discourage ports as much as anyone, everyone knows this, but Tales of Abyss had shockingly awful loading so I couldn't finish it

this is the only reason why I would want this

of course, this latest framerate scare reverses all that

PKrockin

Magicpaint said:
Only the battles in Abyss run @ 60 fps.

Yeah, only in the absolute craziest situations did the performance take a hit.

I just noticed we still haven't seen any footage of the overworld either...

Aeana

Here is the exact quote:

Q: Did you have to compromise on any aspects of the original PS2 version to make it work on the Nintendo 3DS?
A: We had to rebuild all of the 3D character models to conform to the rendering performance of the Nintendo 3DS. But besides that, nearly every other aspect of the game ported over seamlessly.

Xilium said:

omg handheld warz

Synless

If the 3DS is supposed to be more powerful than the PS2 (it is isn't it?), why the hell did they have to redo the character models to get the game to run better? I am assuming they downgraded them by the sound of it.

Amir0x

Banned
Synless said:
If the 3DS is supposed to be more powerful than the PS2 (it is isn't it?), why the hell did they have to redo the character models to get the game to run better? I am assuming they downgraded them by the sound of it.

3D

such a great useless feature ain't it

PKrockin said:
Yeah, only in the absolute craziest situations did the performance take a hit.

I just noticed we still haven't seen any footage of the overworld either...
The overworld couldn't possibly be choppier than the PS2 version. That's just...unfathomable.

Aeana said:
Here is the exact quote:

Q: Did you have to compromise on any aspects of the original PS2 version to make it work on the Nintendo 3DS?
A: We had to rebuild all of the 3D character models to conform to the rendering performance of the Nintendo 3DS. But besides that, nearly every other aspect of the game ported over seamlessly.
Hmmm, sounds to me like a downgrade, yeah :/

Top Bottom