• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cave |OT| Choose your own Adventurers

Aaron

Does anyone know how difficult it is to implement off-screen play? Do you think it can be done through a small update?
From the sound of things, Double Fine just barely had the time to get the game working on Wii U. I think a patch depends on if they think it's worthwhile financially, and how Nintendo is with submitting patches. Microsoft was a nightmare for the dev in this respect.

Do we have any word on how big this game is? During Giantbomb's quick look they seemingly went through the knight's story!

I think the dev said 4 hours if you are really good at them GB had Ron telling them where to go so you can pretty much speedrun if you know where everything is. But after the 4 hours you choose another 3 players that you did not use before to open other locations not bad.

just paid $15 for this it won't take me 4 hours that is for sure might get stuck a few times

cool 2 minutes left my Download is good tonight

hope this has no bugs and looks just as good as what I saw on GB

edit: Finished... they changed the Icon!

Mr. F

Banned
Watching the Quick Look EX now and the humour isn't doing much for me yet. Maybe they're aiming for a younger audience?

I don't want to be 'that guy,' but I don't personally find Ron Gilbert to be that funny a writer these days. The humour from the Quick Look wasn't really doing it for me in the same way Deathspank's didn't (although I did enjoy Monkey Island).

All the same, hoping for some good impressions on the game - regardless of length it looks to be a fun local co-op experience.

Edit: apparently not the only one who thinks this. In any case I remain hopeful despite my doubts.

Time Traveller, The Monk, and The Knight (since I spoiled that part I'll go do it now

love how the Time Traveller moves
KuGsj.gif

TriGen

This definitely is an adventure game. I know some people haven't completely believed that yet, the platforming is very light. It's very good so far.

As for the off-tv stuff, it is kinda lame because all they do is show your three characters on the GamePad. You can touch them to switch, or you can just use the d-pad (which is what I've been doing).

Edit: Smiles, you chose the same three as me!

Mr. F

Banned
This definitely is an adventure game. I know some people haven't completely believed that yet, the platforming is very light. It's very good so far.

As for the off-tv stuff, it is kinda lame because all they do is show your three characters on the GamePad. You can touch them to switch, or you can just use the d-pad (which is what I've been doing).

Gilbert said in the Giant Bomb Quick Look that the GamePad utilization turned out to be very minimal due to time constraints (or something along those lines).

TriGen

I really hope it's not a 4 hr game, that would be a such a deal breaker for me

It's not. This is an adventure game, you won't get through all the puzzles that fast without a guide (at least that's how it seems to me). Plus it takes three playthroughs to go through every area and figure out each story.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I have no words for people not buying because there's no fucking off tv play...
Off TV is the favorite feature for 50% of Wii U owners. If a game doesn't offer it in 2013, it better make up for it with additional gameplay features, which is sadly not the case here.

game is fun... at least it has screen caps for Miiverse day 1 which Capcom did not have day 1 in Japan day 1 and that is being patched in so, I just posted OFF TV Play on the Miiverse community, get loud about it guys if you care so much.

It's a good game so far worth the money

Haunted

Yeah, the GB QL (played on 360) had some framerate issues. Will get on PC.

Off TV is the favorite feature for 50% of Wii U owners. If a game doesn't offer it in 2013, it better make up for it with additional gameplay features, which is sadly not the case here.
Aside from your made-up number, I agree that there doesn't seem to be a reason to pick up the Cave WiiU over the other versions.

As long as you're picking it up on any of the platforms, the decision is sound.

marc^o^

Yeah, the GB QL (played on 360) had some framerate issues. Will get on PC.

Aside from your made-up number, I agree that there doesn't seem to be a reason to pick up the Cave WiiU over the other versions.

As long as you're picking it up on a platform, the decision is sound.
It's not a made up number, it's the result of a Nintendo poll on their facebook page.

Haunted

It's not a made up number, it's the result of a Nintendo poll on their facebook page.
sounds legit.

Don't tell me you think that's representative. Sorry for calling it made up, even though the end result is the same.

edit: all besides the point anyway. Just buy it on another system if you don't want to support their WiiU offerings.

marc^o^

sounds legit.

Don't tell me you think that's representative. Sorry for calling it made up, even though the end result is the same.
I don't see why a poll on Nintendo Facebook wouldn't be representative of Wii U owners. Other features liked most in the poll, in order: Nintendo games in HD, local multiplayer with asymmetric gameplay, miiverse, launch lineup variety.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, the Off-tv abscence is disappointing, considering the nature of the game (multiplat with no heavy use of the double window as Zombi U for example). Now, I'm not sure if picking it up or not.
Picking it for another platform is useless, considering that neither those versions will have Off-tv feature, of couse, and that function for me up to now is precious to organize my few hours of spare time in house...
the Miiverse integration could be interesting anyway...especially considering the puzzle-based nature of the game (as for Trine2)

It's strange to see people considering to completely skipping an anticipated title because of the off tv function. One would think that the actual game is what matters the most. But everyone are free to do as they like with games of course.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's strange to see people considering to completely skipping an anticipated title because of the off tv function. One would think that the actual game is what matters the most. But everyone are free to do as they like with games of course.

I barely have the time to play games at home, in these days, due to several personal reasons. Having the chance to play it skipping freely from the unique TV screen to the GamePad and viceversa increase the time I can spend on a game.
That's the reason, for me.
If I purchase this game as it is I'll probably take several weeks to complete it and, considering that I have other games to finish right now, probably is better to wait (and maybe they'll add Offtv and put the game on sale too! :D )

CrisKre

2 hrs in and its fantastic. Delightful humor, clever puzzles, fantastic presentation. The wii u pad player switch being visual helps a lot. The only thing is the jumping is just a tad bit floaty, but it's not a big gripe with this kind of game. The atmosphere is top notch and the game had me laughing out loud quite a few times (and scratching my head as well). Buy it gaf!

_PsiFire_

I just played for 3 hours when I should have been in bed simply because this game is THAT fun! If you won't get this game because it doesn't have off-tv play - your loss.

I chose the time traveller, scientist and adventurer as my trio. I've been through the adventurer's "level" (really fun btw) and some way through the time travellers and had to force myself to quit.

Off-tv would be awesome but don't bypass this game because of that!

Margalis

Banned
Missing off-tv play on the WiiU is a big deal - being able to play on the pad is a major feature that a lot of people like, it can't be that hard to do, and if your game doesn't use both screens in a novel way there's no design reason not to do it.

If anything it should be mandatory.

spekkeh

Banned
Man I hope dat oldschool point and click mode means I can use it on my windows tablet. Would be a great little game to play on my endless commute.

BDGAME

Since it don'thave offtv, I will wait to more reviews to buy.

Play on TV is a privilege for me nowdays. And a multiplatform game don't have any excuse to not support it.

Krabboss

I don't want to be 'that guy,' but I don't personally find Ron Gilbert to be that funny a writer these days. The humour from the Quick Look wasn't really doing it for me in the same way Deathspank's didn't (although I did enjoy Monkey Island).

All the same, hoping for some good impressions on the game - regardless of length it looks to be a fun local co-op experience.

Edit: apparently not the only one who thinks this. In any case I remain hopeful despite my doubts.

I thought Deathspank was painfully unfunny too.

As somebody who has never played his older games since I didn't have the means to growing up, I don't know if he was ever funny. I'll be giving his older games a go in the next few weeks, I think.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, bought this to play with brother on Wii U...

I think the game starts kinda slow. The character powers start up kinda un-fun with what you do in the intro part, and the space between objective, while it fosters 3 character usage, just feels like it's there for padding, at times.

The game glitches and hard locked on me the first time, causing us to have to unplug the system. Power buttons wouldn't even respond...

The autosave from that forgot all our progress in the "pre cave" causing us to do that again, with no glitch.

After that, we got the the prospector portion. Not too bad, guess the space between caves was OK, it was goo enough, we moved on.

Got to the time travllers special section, and yay, my power is actually used for something!... a very light bit of something, but hey. The time traveler puzzle was the first thing in this game I'd say was really clever and unique; It's the first time I started to forget some of the odd design decisions (why is there no way to get your partners to auto-follow you to areas? Why do the force use of a nunchuck? I can't use a classic controller?), and focus on the gameplay. And the way the game handled the transition between periods was VERY nice, as it worked seamlessly. I think I saw some glitchy, odd things occur, but I can forgive that here, as everything else worked very smoothly.

I'll mention it IS kinda nice not to have something breating down your neck, trying to give you clues. Since all this game really ends up being is puzzles and hit-or-miss writing, making one have to work for the puzzles fully keeps that portion as enjoyable as it can be.

I guess it's a good adventure, and the occassional unique animations and personality at some bits are pretty charming. But I keep getting the feeling that solutions are round-about and spaced just for the sake of game extension, and not because I should really have to walk this far, or do this much to solve a problem.

And as far as framerate issues... the only Issue I see are that the game continues to run, while writing it's save file. If the game just paused for a second, while this happened, there seems like there'd be no issues, so far.

Personally, I feel it's good, but it hasn't wowed me in a lasting way. I do look forward to the next character specific puzzle, however, because that seems to be where the game really attempts to shine.

Time Travller, Monk, and Scientist, btw. At least the power of hacking seems to be pretty useful!

Well, bought this to play with brother on Wii U...

I think the game starts kinda slow. The character powers start up kinda un-fun with what you do in the intro part, and the space between objective, while it fosters 3 character usage, just feels like it's there for padding, at times.

The game glitches and hard locked on me the first time, causing us to have to unplug the system. Power buttons wouldn't even respond...

The autosave from that forgot all our progress in the "pre cave" causing us to do that again, with no glitch.

After that, we got the the prospector portion. Not too bad, guess the space between caves was OK, it was goo enough, we moved on.

Got to the time travllers special section, and yay, my power is actually used for something!... a very light bit of something, but hey. The time traveler puzzle was the first thing in this game I'd say was really clever and unique; It's the first time I started to forget some of the odd design decisions (why is there no way to get your partners to auto-follow you to areas? Why do the force use of a nunchuck? I can't use a classic controller?), and focus on the gameplay. And the way the game handled the transition between periods was VERY nice, as it worked seamlessly. I think I saw some glitchy, odd things occur, but I can forgive that here, as everything else worked very smoothly.

I'll mention it IS kinda nice not to have something breating down your neck, trying to give you clues. Since all this game really ends up being is puzzles and hit-or-miss writing, making one have to work for the puzzles fully keeps that portion as enjoyable as it can be.

I guess it's a good adventure, and the occassional unique animations and personality at some bits are pretty charming. But I keep getting the feeling that solutions are round-about and spaced just for the sake of game extension, and not because I should really have to walk this far, or do this much to solve a problem.

And as far as framerate issues... the only Issue I see are that the game continues to run, while writing it's save file. If the game just paused for a second, while this happened, there seems like there'd be no issues, so far.

Personally, I feel it's good, but it hasn't wowed me in a lasting way. I do look forward to the next character specific puzzle, however, because that seems to be where the game really attempts to shine.

Time Travller, Monk, and Scientist, btw. At least the power of hacking seems to be pretty useful!

Thanks for all the feedback. Based off your post, you played the Wii U version. With Hardlocks seemingly hit or miss with a lot of Wii U owners I'm curious if you experienced Hardlocks routinely with your other games? I've only had a handful, all right after connecting my HD without a Y cable. Just wondering if I should expect more than normal, or if in your experience it was at about the same frequency you had for other games?

I guess I'll find out this evening, but it's good to read about others experiences.

Top Bottom