• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

TDLink

Finished the campaign this afternoon. Loved it to pieces -- wildly charming story and writing, exhilaratingly paced gameplay, endless customization -- I can't praise it enough. When a game can strip away my desire to look at it from a design/critical perspective and instead make me look on in child-eyed wonder (not to mention change my NeoGAF avatar, of all things), I know it's completely won me over. I had no idea this would become one of my favorite Nintendo games in the span of what, three days? So good. I very much look forward to future explorations of the KI-verse, as well as the next Smash Brothers installments!

Speaking of which, the whole time I was playing I was thinking about who from Uprising should be in the next Smash Brothers! In terms of character design, personality and fighting style I really liked
Arlon and Phosphora, even though their roles in the story were both woefully small.
Unfortunately, a lot of the characters aside from say, Palutena (who I wouldn't mind) -- as cool as they may have been -- were lacking in either relevance to the story (i.e.
the aforementioned two
) or displayed battle prowess (i.e.
Viridi
). And while the Smash team can compensate for the latter, the former is most definitely an obstacle.

Honestly I would take any of the Kid Icarus characters as new Smash Bros. characters. What will likely end up happening though is many will become Assist Trophies. Realistically the only new ones that are going to be added as full characters (other than Pit of course) will be Palutena and/or
Hades
simply due to their plot significance, continued appearance for most of the game, and demonstrated fighting abilities. Everyone else, while cool, only shows up briefly for a chapter or two and thus aren't really viable candidates. The only other characters to show up with some frequency are
Viridi
and Medusa and honestly that first one displays no battle prowess in the game. Both of those also have the disadvantage of fulfilling similar roles to Palutena and
Hades
...who like I said I think are both more likely.

Spoilers for final chapter:

Does anyone know why Medusa helps Pit and betrays Hades, exactly? I know she was tired of being a puppet, but she didn't seem to mind all that much at the beginning of the game.

Did she just not want Hades consuming all of existence or something? :p

I don't think she realized that at the beginning. If I remember right i thought she was confused about it or didn't think she was...or something to that effect. I need to replay Chapter 9 to be sure but I am fairly certain there is dialogue about it in there.

Jintor

Aaaaaand game complete (but not really, just the mission mode)

Goddamn, that was amazing. Wow. I'm going to be playing this for a long time to come.

/edit HOLY WHAT
HADES HAS A TREASURE HUNT?
God fuckin' DAMN

Cheska

WOW. Loving the heck out of this game and I'm only on Chapter 3. How are fellow leftys playing this? I have a CC Pro and have adjusted the sensitivity for the reticule but my hand cramps up really quickly :(

Why don't
Poseidon and Pyrrhon
have Treasure Hunts?
Or do they?

Only through chapter 15.

They don't, to my knowledge. Without really spoiling anything up until the point that you're at (though I'll put tags and be vague just in case), I'll just say that I think the characters they chose for the treasure hunts make sense because
they represent the main forces battling throughout the majority of the game.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So today was the Zelda Orchestra at Seattle. I streetpassed 100 folks, and I'm happy to report that a fair number of people were playing Uprising.

Just finished the first 2 missions. Incredible presentation! The voice acting, while cheesy, is self-aware enough to not be annoying, and so wild-eyed and optimistic that you can't help but be won over by it.

How is the difficulty curve in this game? I tried mission 2 at 2.5 since the first mission was so easy, and then even mission 2's boss went down without much of a struggle. I feel like the game is tricking me into ramping it up too far!

Busaiku

How is the difficulty curve in this game? I tried mission 2 at 2.5 since the first mission was so easy, and then even mission 2's boss went down without much of a struggle. I feel like the game is tricking me into ramping it up too far!

Personally, I don't think it gets bad at all until 6.0, 7.0 gives me trouble (mainly due to my stupidity), 8.0 is hard, 9.0 is really hard.
Prior to that, it's easy to steamroll everything.

Just finished the first 2 missions. Incredible presentation! The voice acting, while cheesy, is self-aware enough to not be annoying, and so wild-eyed and optimistic that you can't help but be won over by it.

I don't get smacked down at 4.5, but I have a little bit of trouble and occasionally die on it.

JazzmanZ

Finally beat the Final boss, jesus fuck I didn't expect to die so many times and on 2.0 intensity too.

I shudder to try that battle again at a 9.0 intensity
or 10.0

Babel Club is your friend.

Trust me.
I like the
Atlas Club
personally. Not necessarily because of the weapon itself but it just looks cool to whack guys with a
giant arm

You should be good on lower difficulties. Things ramp up after 6 though. Haven't had any luck with 9 (only tried the first level). This difficulty/heart/loot system really is pure genius.

Finally beat the Final boss, jesus fuck I didn't expect to die so many times and on 2.0 intensity too.

I shudder to try that battle again at a 9.0 intensity
or 10.0

seriously wow died like crazy how can this be passed on 9.0?

now I just need to now how many heart I have to give the goddess to party :3

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I hope you love it! It's grown on me so much in such a short span of time. It reminds me of all the fun I used to have with Phantom Dust. The production values are insane, and it's overflowing with content. The controls take some getting used to, but everything should click if you can get over the hump. Hands will probably still hurt, though, haha. :(
I think I'm starting to get used to it now. On Chapter 4. And lol, we generally seem to like similar stuff, so it isn't much of a surprise that I'm liking this so far.

SO MUCH STUFF IN THIS GAME.

Haven't had much time to play with school and work, but I just finished
Pandora's Labyrinth of Deceit
and the game just clicked. I was frustrated with the controls at first, and was pretty overwhelmed at the amount of info thrown at you in the beginning, but now I get it and I am loving it.

Can't wait to really sink my teeth into the game.

Edit: And dat music.

tm24

i got 1500 pts in a light vs dark match. I have no idea if thats good, but it was a lot more than everyone else. Also, i have no idea what im doing and i prefer it that way

Korosenai

Haven't had much time to play with school and work, but I just finished
Pandora's Labyrinth of Deceit
and the game just clicked. I was frustrated with the controls at first, and was pretty overwhelmed at the amount of info thrown at you in the beginning, but now I get it and I am loving it.

Can't wait to really sink my teeth into the game.

Edit: And dat music.
Chapter 5 is about when the game clicked for me also. That's also my favorite chapter in the game so far.

Neiteio

Tossed some eggs and got the following idols:

Hades (Battle) -- I already have his normal form; this new one is his rainbow-armored mid-flight form from the final battle!

Amazon Pandora -- Yesssssssss!

Pyrrhon -- What a neat-looking character!

Hoping to get
Cragalanche, Arlon, Phosphora, Chariot Master, Dyntos and Great Sacred Treasure next! Pseudo-Palutena would be cool, too. :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I hope you get mindblowing weapons later in the game because difficulty at level 9 is currently way too hard for me!

I spent my night online in 3 vs 3, and all I can say is multiplayer is just as good as the solo game 0_o The way it always keeps on giving, even when you lose... The way it is balanced with all these weapons... I'm amazed by the game design.

Poyunch

I hope you get mindblowing weapons later in the game because difficulty at level 9 is currently way too hard for me!

I spent my night online in 3 vs 3, and all I can say is multiplayer is just as good as the solo game 0_o The way it always keeps on giving, even when you lose... The way it is balanced with all these weapons... I'm amazed by the game design.

You can pretty much fuse to make almost any weapon except for a few that I can't figure out. So there's no reason to wait! :D

What's the trick to killing those "metroid" enemies in flight mode? I can never seem to destroy them in time, and I can't figure out any effective way of removing them from my head.

Ketch

Picked this up at target today in their buy 2 get 1 deal and I'm really enjoying. The music is AMAZING.

I'm sure it's been brought up already, but mah hands hurt. I thought it would be my left hand from holding up the system while using the circle pad and left trigger, but it's actually my right hand from "writing" with the stylus. Major writers cramp going on.

Neiteio

My hand doesn't hurt at all playing this anymore. It's like I just hold it now. I don't know if I evolved into it or what. It's great. :)

Just got a 280+ Thanatos Staff replaying Chapter 7 at 7.0 difficulty, with tons of buffs to boot. Unlocking these more powerful weapons should make 9.0 a bit more approachable.

Idols and weapons, idols and weapons... The perfect incentive to keep bouncing back and forth between solo replays and multiplayer matches, as both net you new gear and eggs for the idol toss. And everything has an idol; hell, I just unlocked the
the trap that snared the Chaos Kin in the boss battle
. o_O

sfried

Chapter
and
Destroyed Skyworld
's music has to be some of the best tracks in the game. Just listening to the whole
somber tone
while facing what lies ahead. The tunes are also very memorable and stylistically diverse.

RagnarokX

LOL. Got the Komayto idol:

"While this creature resembles a certain alien life-form, the last Komaytos are not in captivity and Skyworld is not at peace."

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
are there any stylus haters for this game? I'm a pretty hard core stylus controls hater (metroid was blech). With that in mind, is this game actually a showcase for this control method? Anyone buy it and decide it sucks based of controls? Haven't kept up with the game but the overwhelmingly positive impressions are pretty impressive.

Hylian7

are there any stylus haters for this game? I'm a pretty hard core stylus controls hater (metroid was blech). With that in mind, is this game actually a showcase for this control method? Anyone buy it and decide it sucks based of controls? Haven't kept up with the game but the overwhelmingly positive impressions are pretty impressive.

I've noticed the controls are more "You should adapt to them." than "They should adapt to you." They're customizeable, and the control scheme isn't ideal, but when you practice with it, you'll get really good at it. I did try ABXY for movement and Circle Pad for aiming for a while. I constantly had trouble with the aiming part, and on top of that having the movement buttons being on the right disoriented me. I tried out stylus and instantly did better.

There is a major difference between this and Metroid Prime Hunters though. If you remember in MPH, turning around involved you just holding the stylus closer to the edge of the screen, depending on how fast you wanted to turn around. In KIU that works differently. There are two ways to turn around. One is where the touch screen is like spinning a globe, where you flick to have the cursor go off in the direction you flick, and then grab the touch screen again to stop it. I kind of prefer it to MPH, just because it makes those frantic turnarounds so easy. Another useful method is to push the Circle Pad in the direction you want to turn, and hit the R button. This will automatically face the camera the direction Pit is facing.

Fabrik

Banned
Kid Icarus is the best shooter I played since...

I'd say last time I felt in love so much with a game in this genre was with Thunderforce 3.

KI is a game with an arcade, retro feeling, while being a next gen experience with outstanding 3D graphics and scenery, supported by new/fresh controls, lots of humor and out of this world replay value.

It has classic/cult written all over it. It makes me love videogames more than any title released in ages.

Let's be friends! lol

Dreavus

Dang. This is the game that got me seriously considering a 3DS, and I miss that futureshop deal by a couple of days. Curse my ignorance!

pramath

Banned
Seriously, now.
I don't have this game yet (still waiting for cash to hit the account, won't be getting this for a while), but God damn, you all are making it impossible for me to wait. The collective GAF love for this game is unbelievable. I haven't seen such unifyingly good reception from gamers for a title in a very long time.
Is the game really that good?

Seriously, now.
I don't have this game yet (still waiting for cash to hit the account, won't be getting this for a while), but God damn, you all are making it impossible for me to wait. The collective GAF love for this game is unbelievable. I haven't seen such unifyingly good reception from gamers for a title in a very long time.
Is the game really that good?

Massive control learning curve, but everything not to do with the controls is seriously top-notch Nintendo design.

Bumhead

Banned
Bought this yesterday.

Its truly, truly exceptional.

Only issue I have with the controls is that quickly shifting the circle pad to dash feels a little awkward, but im getting used to it. I love the use of the stylus.

Top Bottom