• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark application for Nintendo 64 controller and more

20 games without Rare:

DK64
F-Zero X
Kirby 64
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Zelda Majora's Mask
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2 & 3
Mario Tennis
Paper Mario
Pokémon Puzzle League
Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Stadium 1 & 2 (if possible)
Star Fox 64
Mario 64
Smash Bros.
Wave Race
Yoshi's Story

Oh damn... That's a convincing argument for them to not bother working out a deal with MS for Rare games.

iFirez

An N64 Mini would be insane to me... in the best way possible. If only they could get Body Harvest on it -- so much nostalgia with that game. At least we'd be likely to get OoT and MM.

FyreWulff

So...

No

Goldeneye
Banjo
Conker
Perfect dark
Diddy kong racing
Wwf No mercy
Killer Instinct

Eh..

What's the fucking point. I'll stop at the Snes

We got DK64 on Wii U VC with Jetpac still in it, which is 100% owned by MS now. MS is doing Minecraft crossplay with Nintendo and showed a Switch at their own conference. I think the MS/Nintendo relationship has thawed out.

If this means what we all think it means, and it gets the Rare games on it I will weep openly with Joy.

You can almost guarantee it'd be missing Conkers Bad Fur day either way though, which would be a damned shame.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
If this means what we all think it means, and it gets the Rare games on it I will weep openly with Joy.

You can almost guarantee it'd be missing Conkers Bad Fur day either way though, which would be a damned shame.
What will you do if no Rare games?

Fumpster

I think it's possible we might see Rare stuff on an N64 Mini, but I wouldn't count on it. So with that in mind, here's what I think we'll get:

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros.
Ocarina of time
Majora's Mask
Star Fox 64
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
F-Zero
Donkey Kong 64
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Snap
Sin & Punishment
Castlevania 64
Megaman Legends
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (?)

= 17 games? Maybe that's being too optimistic though. I do think we'll see some third party games in there (possibly not the ones I listed) but I wasn't really sure what they'd be. Maybe Goemon, Ogre Battle, Harvest Moon, or something like Glover, haha.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
MK64 and Rush 2 being among the included games would make me the happiest of chappies, but I'd be okay with just the former.

Couleurs

I had no interest in the nes and snes minis, but I'd def be down for a 64 mini.

I feel the opposite. I love the NES/SNES minis but feel like N64 games have aged terribly for the most part (not just N64 to be fair - PS1/Saturn also didn't age well, since that gen was largely developers getting used to the shift from 2D to 3D).

Of course there are some games from that era that still hold up, like Mario 64. So I'm not hating the whole generation.

EctoPrime

Fully expect Rayman 2 from Ubisoft to end up on the console and to a lesser extent Mischief Makers as the only viable Square Enix game. I just dont see any Eidos title like Gex or Fighting Force taking the Square spot.

Anth0ny

they'll work out a deal with MS for the rare stuff.

you access xbox live in the switch version of minecraft. they're clearly willing to play ball here.

Classic 64. Let's go!

WWF No Mercy, Golden Eye and Mario Kart are essential for me

Oh and who would have thought a Pokémon camera game would be a blast, but that game is legit

BD1

Banned
I love N64 with all my heart, but without the majority of the RARE catalog and the WWF games.... ehhhhhh

TheMoon

Which totally completed but never released N64 game will we get?

9a1bfa80bc1ddc61f4fc28af06d9bc0f.png

Ocarina Master Quest. :p

Don't assume this is standard now because of Star Fox 2. NES mini had nothing of the like.

Maybe Resident Evil 0, Eternal Darkness, ODT... Or none at all.

none of these were completed

BigDug13

I still feel like they're weakening the long term attractiveness of their newest console by continuing to hamstring its backward compatibility capabilities in order to push these other classic consoles out.

I want these games to be available to purchase on something I can take on the go!

Maxrunner

they'll work out a deal with MS for the rare stuff.

you access xbox live in the switch version of minecraft. they're clearly willing to play ball here.
Id rather they released Goldeneye for both switch and xbox one and this actually being fair for both sides and have the exact same content, except maybe giving extra controller options.

Neiteio

Microsoft has played ball with Nintendo on Rare franchises before (see the Banjo spinoff on GBA, etc). People said Nintendo wouldn't include Super FX chip games in the SNES Classic — and nobody expected Star Fox 2 to be included — so let's not jump to conclusions about Rare here. It's entirely possible Nintendo will find a way to include those titles.

I still feel like they're weakening the long term attractiveness of their newest console by continuing to hamstring its backward compatibility capabilities in order to push these other classic consoles out.
After the N64 Classic has its time-limited run, maybe they'll take all of the games for all of the Classic editions (NES, SNES, N64) and make them the effective launch lineup for the Switch Virtual Console.

big_erk

I'm not (really) hating on the N64 library here, but what would even be on this?
Mario 64
Both Zeldas
DK64
Wave Race 64
Smash Bros
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
Up to 3 Mario Party games
Kirby 64
Yoshi
Pokémon (either Snap, or Stadium 2 if you could connect it to the 3DS VC)
F-Zero X

What good 3rd party stuff would they be able to get? The Rare games would be out of reach, right?

Beetle Adventure Racing or GTFO!

After the N64 Classic has its time-limited run, maybe they'll take all of the games for all of the Classic editions (NES, SNES, N64) and make them the effective launch lineup for the Switch Virtual Console.
It had better not take them that long to launch the Virtual Console on the Switch. N64 Classic isn't likely to come out until like September, 2018. Fuck that.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
This would have to be the last of the Mini systems for them right? I mean, following N64, the systems went away from cartridge format., though, I guess they could do .iso files for them.

kc44135

I want these games to be available to purchase on something I can take on the go!

Agreed!

EctoPrime

What if Nintendo had multiple versions of the N64 mini both with two controllers. One would be the kid friendly Mario 64 edition and the other had titles with a higher age ratings like Doom 64 and Mortal Kombat.

Neiteio

My completely reasonable, super-conservative, barebones guess:

Super Smash Bros.
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Paper Mario
Yoshi's Story
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
F-Zero X / Expansion Kit
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Star Fox 64
Pilotwings 64
Wave Race 64
Excitebike 64
1080 Snowboarding
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Sin & Punishment
Blast Corps
Killer Instinct Gold
Goldeneye 007
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo-Kazooie
Jet Force Gemini
Donkey Kong 64
Banjo-Tooie
Perfect Dark
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Beetle Adventure Racing
Harvest Moon 64
Iggy's Reckin' Balls
Tetrisphere
Mischief Makers
Bomberman 64
Bomberman Hero
Bomberman 64: The Second Attack
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Goemon's Great Adventure
Space Station Silicon Valley
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Ogre Battle 64
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Episode One Racer

I wish

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This would have to be the last of the Mini systems for them right? I mean, following N64, the systems went away from cartridge format., though, I guess they could do .iso files for them.

A Gamecube Mini would be doable if Nintendo feels the interest is there. Its miniDVD-based discs offered just 1.5GB of space.

kc44135

It had better not take them that long to launch the Virtual Console on the Switch. N64 Classic isn't likely to come out until like September, 2018. Fuck that.

I don't think the most important question here is when we're getting VC, it's if we're getting VC on Switch, at all. We know there's a subscription service coming next year that will include some NES games, but as far as what we actually know right now, that's it.

They should include Goldeneye 007, but work a deal with MS to allow the release of Goldeneye XBLA on 360/XBO as a trade. And give a cut to Activision or whoever currently holds the Bond license.

Neiteio

They could do a Game Boy Mini.

Ideally, it would compile games across all generations of GB, from the original to Advance.

Stuff like Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, etc, all on one system.

Sephzilla

Classic 64. Let's go!

WWF No Mercy, Golden Eye and Mario Kart are essential for me

Oh and who would have thought a Pokémon camera game would be a blast, but that game is legit

The AKI WCW/WWF games are almost definitely not going to happen. I imagine likeness rights would be a hassle plus there's the fact that WCW/NWO Revenge and WWF No Mercy have this man on the roster

Chris_Benoit_in_the_Ring.jpg

Zalman

They could do a Game Boy Mini.

Ideally, it would compile games across all generations of GB, from the original to Advance.

Stuff like Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, etc, all on one system.
I imagine they'd probably do Game Boy (including Color) and Game Boy Advance separately. The original Game Boy design is too iconic.

Also where is my Game Boy Mini with:

Tetris
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Wario Land
Zelda Link's Awakening
Pokemon Red & Blue
Kirby's Dream Land
Metroid 2
Mega Man V
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Land