• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's a new XBLA Yu-Gi-Oh! game, does it suck?

Takao

Banned
So this popped up in the XBLA round up: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...els-Plus/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410a03

So many questions. What is this? Why is it only on XBLA? Why does this use 5Ds stuff when that series is over? How come Konami didn't tell anyone? Why does it have the same box art as the previous XBLA game? How come they didn't localize Tagforce 6?

Okay, I probably know the answer to that last one, but has anyone checked this out? I bought the first XBLA game, and it was very barebones but go that Yu-Gi-Oh! itch scratched. I know a lot of people were angry with it though, just can't remember why. : /

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, didn't know about this. There were licensing issues with the old one. I would hope for a TF6 on XBLA but this sure doesn't look like it. I love the shit out of the game, so...

Man. Might pick this up...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Konami knows how to make a good Yugioh game, so it probably sucks.

Curious if anyone has any experience with it though, so they can confirm my suspicions.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I dunno what this thing is.

Yu-Gi-Oh Decade Duels came out two years ago on XBLA. It was/is a fine, serviceable Yu-Gi-Oh digital game. This seems to be some sort of repackaging effort related to a PSN release. I have no idea if it has new content or not. If you already own Decade Duels, the marketplace will treat this game as already owned. Dunno if that's intentional or not.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno what this thing is.

Yu-Gi-Oh Decade Duels came out two years ago on XBLA. It was/is a fine, serviceable Yu-Gi-Oh digital game. This seems to be some sort of repackaging effort related to a PSN release. I have no idea if it has new content or not. If you already own Decade Duels, the marketplace will treat this game as already owned. Dunno if that's intentional or not.

It may just be a re-release, since the old one is off the marketplace. I can't tell and don't want to buy it in case it is, though, because while the first was serviceable as the game itself, it's also older than dogshit.

Wiseblade

Wut. Just going off the name, I want nothing to do with it. Decade Duels was a shallow mess that was outdated long before its release date.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It may just be a re-release, since the old one is off the marketplace. I can't tell and don't want to buy it in case it is, though, because while the first was serviceable as the game itself, it's also older than dogshit.

Is it even giving you an option to buy it? My Xbox says I already own it.

As far as the original game, I guess I'm not concerned about its age because all the cards I want to play with are old anyway. I don't need any of this 5Ds shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

As far as the original game, I guess I'm not concerned about its age because all the cards I want to play with are old anyway. I don't need any of this 5Ds shit.

Dunno, I'll see. If so, then I'm sure it's just rebranded due to the lawsuit stuff.

Wiseblade

The game was juat a terrible cash grab, through and through. Of the 4000+ Cards in existence at the time, the game didn't even have a quarter of them. Entire Archetypes were cut right down the middle.

"But I'm sure they got all the good old stuff, right?"

No! even basic things like DARK MAGICIAN were missing (But Skilled Dark Magician was left in). It was a total disgrace.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The game was juat a terrible cash grab, through and through. Of the 4000+ Cards in existence at the time, the game didn't even have a quarter of them. Entire Archetypes were cut right down the middle.

No! even basic things like DARK MAGICIAN were missing (But Skilled Dark Magician was left in). It was a total disgrace.

Fair enough. I didn't play a ton of it. And never noticed Dark Magician missing because I'd never put that in a deck (LOL). Still a stupid omission though.

KageZero

Well to be honest aside of the anime, dark magician was a weak card. Damage and defense were bad for a 2 monster summon and it didn't have any monster effects. I never used that card, not even on the ps1 yu-gi-oh (anyone remembers that one?).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well to be honest aside of the anime, dark magician was a weak card. Damage and defense were bad for a 2 monster summon and it didn't have any monster effects. I never used that card, not even on the ps1 yu-gi-oh (anyone remembers that one?).

Yeah there's no reason to use Dark Magician when you can have SUMMONED SKULL for one less sacrifice.

bumpkin

I used to love these on the GBA.
Same. I also used to actually collect the physical cards and play the game with friends too. I stopped playing sometime after they released the "Ancient Sanctuary" booster set. Since then, they did GX and 5Ds, and I fell completely out of touch with how the game is played. They added all sorts of elemental and special summon stuff, and I'm pretty sure my old school deck and cards would get monumentally destroyed by someone rolling modern cards. Getting a special summon felt like it had more meaning back in the day. All the new angles seem to me like they cheapen the game a bit.

Wiseblade

Fair enough. I didn't play a ton of it. And never noticed Dark Magician missing because I'd never put that in a deck (LOL). Still a stupid omission though.

Yeah there's no reason to use Dark Magician when you can have SUMMONED SKULL for one less sacrifice.

Ignoring the fact that over the years Dark Magician received a TON of support, much of which WAS in the game and made useless by Dark Magician's omission.

That and, y'know, being the most iconic monster in the game.

vareon

Same. I also used to actually collect the physical cards and play the game with friends too. I stopped playing sometime after they released the "Ancient Sanctuary" booster set. Since then, they did GX and 5Ds, and I fell completely out of touch with how the game is played. They added all sorts of elemental and special summon stuff, and I'm pretty sure my old school deck and cards would get monumentally destroyed by someone rolling modern cards. Getting a special summon felt like it had more meaning back in the day. All the new angles seem to me like they cheapen the game a bit.

I find it fascinating at how many people "left" the game after Ancient Sanctuary (or precisely, around GX). My reason for leaving is completely budget though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I find it fascinating at how many people "left" the game after Ancient Sanctuary (or precisely, around GX). My reason for leaving is completely budget though.

It's a big dip but I'm in the mix with Tag Force 5 on PSP. So many cards, I love unlocking packs, and...yeah as a player of the game, I'm happier than a pig in shit.

That power creep.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

My excuse was graduating, haven't really seen my MtG/YGO friends much in years.

Game seems so much more complex than it was back in the day.

THIS it's gotten to the point where people win duels in turn one the new expansions destroyed what made yugioh fun the damn strategy

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
THIS it's gotten to the point where people win duels in turn one the new expansions destroyed what made yugioh fun the damn strategy

I'd imagine the card limit list would have that taken care of.

I still remember the old Gearfried + Butterfly Dagger + Magical Library combo that basically let you draw your whole deck. Instant win with Exodia, but I never had that so I rolled with Chaos Emperor Dragon and just self-destructed my opponent to death :lol

Kokonoe

Banned
Wait...what's "Plus" about this? Did they add more cards? I own the original game as I purchased it day one in November 2010 I believe.

If it's just the same game and nothing else, I don't suggest people buy it as it's impossible to get cards and only had 1,000 cards when there's like over 5,000 in the actual real life game.

bumpkin

You're not the first person I've heard say that. Something similar happened to me a few times in the demo for the previous game on XBLA. Right at the start of the duel, the AI summoned one monster and then suddenly somehow special summoned 2 or 3 more in the same turn. I'm pretty sure the duel was over within two or three turns.

I used to love the strategy element of OG dueling. There were "power cards," but they weren't as prevalent; mainly limited by their rarity in the booster packs. I mean sure, you'd occasionally encounter a player who would pay top dollar or trade a bunch of stuff to have a stacked deck, but the newer rules and cards make stacking a lot more common.

Kokonoe

Banned
It's the same game, don't bother.

When I went to look at it on the marketplace, it didn't give me the option to purchase as if it was something new, it just gave me the option to play the game I already had installed. Same game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You're not the first person I've heard say that. Something similar happened to me a few times in the demo for the previous game on XBLA. Right at the start of the duel, the AI summoned one monster and then suddenly somehow special summoned 2 or 3 more in the same turn. I'm pretty sure the duel was over within two or three turns.

I used to love the strategy element of OG dueling. There were "power cards," but they weren't as prevalent; mainly limited by their rarity in the booster packs. I mean sure, you'd occasionally encounter a player who would pay top dollar or trade a bunch of stuff to have a stacked deck, but the newer rules and cards make stacking a lot more common.

Eh, even back when I played in 2006 I could get 3-4 monsters on the field on my first turn if I happened to draw some certain cards. That's hardly a new thing, it's all about having a good understanding of the rules and deck building. Not really any different than MtG in that regard.

There isn't really a lot of strategy involved when you're just focusing on beat downs by getting high attack monsters out first and using magic cards when you're disadvantaged, it becomes almost entirely luck of the draw rather than being based on any kind of skill. And games like this will naturally evolve, so it makes sense that sort of thing wouldn't cut it anymore.

Wiseblade

There isn't really a lot of strategy involved when you're just focusing on beat downs by getting high attack monsters out first and using magic cards when you're disadvantaged, it becomes almost entirely luck of the draw rather than being based on any kind of skill. And games like this will naturally evolve, so it makes sense that sort of thing wouldn't cut it anymore.

If anything that's more a descriptor of the early days of YGO than the current state of the game. Even if most of the skill is in deckbuilding, there's definitely strategy to be found in duels.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If anything that's more a descriptor of the early days of YGO than the current state of the game. Even if most of the skill is in deckbuilding, there's definitely strategy to be found in duels.

That's what I was referring to. It definitely seems to require more skill and strategy both during the game and during deckbuilding now than it did back when I played.

Izick

It's the same game, don't bother.

When I went to look at it on the marketplace, it didn't give me the option to purchase as if it was something new, it just gave me the option to play the game I already had installed. Same game.

mbsfQ.png

Wiseblade

Can't play a Yu Gi Oh game without XYZ summoning. Shit is too fun.

Xyz summoning became a key part of the game REALLY quickly. Konami were really clever to make them largely about generic utility effects rather than the randomly themed messes, stupid burn and ATK boosting effects many Synchro monsters have. It really telling that the only Synchros seeing wide scale play today are the more generic, utility type like Stardust, Scrap Dragon, Black Rose and Catastor.

Wiseblade

was a patch just not batty enough for them?

there isn't a patch big enough to fix what is wrong with Decade Duels. I kind of wonder why Konami hasn't put out a Yu-Gi-Oh Game for the past Year and a half though. They had a good annual cycle going.

Boogiepop

I'm still wondering why the hell we haven't got a 3DS Yugioh game yet. Of course the time that I decide I'll buy the next iteration ends up being the time they seem to have chosen to stop with their yearly updates. Bleh.

Takao

Banned
http://gematsu.com/2013/01/yu-gi-oh-5ds-decade-duels-plus-announced-for-psn-xbla

Decade Duels Plus will add a variety of new features, including:

Voice and text chat compatibility.
Over 2,000 playable cards, including cards featured in Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic, GX and 5D’s Decks.
Hundreds of additional cards and packs for purchase through Xbox LIVE Marketplace and the PlayStation Store.
Online Multiplayer with up to four-player Tag Duel for total Yu-Gi-Oh! supremacy.
Game play customization with user-created rules.
Multiple game modes including Quick Match, Rank Match and Custom Match.
Online leader boards to track your stats against anyone worldwide.

If PSN includes Vita I'm there Konami, but I'm sure it won't.

Also, their fear of making a Zexal game continues ...

Takao

Banned
The switch to GX happened pretty much immediately. There were still GBA games with Jaden, and the Tagforce series, which was a first (second?) year PSP game had the GX crowd. It took a year to switch over to 5Ds, but at this point Zexal's going to be two years old, and it'll be two years this September since the last real Yu-Gi-Oh! game (5Ds Tagforce 6).

Top Bottom