• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny 2 info from EDGE #310

A fellow on Destiny reddit managed to snag a copy of the recent Edge issue that has some new info about Destiny 2

Here some of the info that was given:
There's some interesting new details in there:
-'The beta did not contain the final implementation of how Energy weapons work against AI combatants with elemental shields; when the shield is depleted, it explodes, nuking any enemies that happen to be nearby'

- Nightfall strikes now have a time limit (varying by Strike; one example was 13 minutes) so efficiency and settling on a strategy beforehand will be important

- There are over 80 missions and (PVE) activities, and each is substantial in length, challenge, story and reward

- There's so much new content that at one point in development they realised they had more content than progression (something they've subsequently fixed)

There were apparently a few other things revealed to the Edge team visiting Bungie but that they were asked not to reveal; one involves the Hunter class and left the reviewers happy that the class will shape up well. Supers and grenades were also mentioned, and whilst they recharge faster than the beta, it seems we'll be encouraged to recharge them more quickly through aggressive play: an example given was a Warlock exotic chest that lets you hover in the air (sounding a little like Empyrrean Bellicose) where kills whilst hovering will quickly recharge your grenade.
Overall, the impression of the campaign sounds very good - lots to do, and a lot more to find. Sounds very encouraging!

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...ge_magazine_issue_310_cover_story_feature_on/

deoee

There's so much new content that at one point in development they realised they had more content than progression (something they've subsequently fixed)

?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
seriously on the edge to wait for this game to finish first i like the wow style upgrade system,
but those wow updates take way more longer.,

i always felt destiny 1 was lacking hard for the money they asked

There's so much new content that at one point in development they realised they had more content than progression (something they've subsequently fixed)

?
It means they cut out content for DLC, while keeping their progression system intact.

/s

?

It means there was a lot of new content, but not a lot of progression systems to support during development, so they went to fix that.

Or they cut some of the content and are selling them as DLC if you wanna go that route.

ethomaz

Banned
I just wish they back to three superior weapon type.

Everything else if they follow Destiny path will be loved.

Ryuuga

Banned
Miss me with that time-restricted Nightfall.
tenor.gif

ethomaz

Banned
Peharps the time limit only affect the reward level of the Nightfall and it could be finished even after the time ends.

That is the best way.

Instead of making it difficult to solo nightfalls they just introduce a restriction. Unless they make them significantly easier I can foresee repeating the intros being super tedious.

hydruxo

Time limit on Nightfalls is interesting. Sounds like a good balance between the OG Nightfall with team wipes sending you to orbit and TTK style ones where you have checkpoints. But yeah, probably kills solo runs.

lionelhutz

Peharps the time limit only affect the reward level of the Nightfall and it could be finished even after the time ends.

That is the best way.

The best way is no time limits and for Bungie to stop forcing players to play the game in only the manner they see fit.

Sullichin

Not a fan of the time limit but they probably want to do it so people don't stand in one safe corner for 30 minutes. Nightfalls were just about cheesing and it was lame.

JHall

Hopefully that Hunter "buff" is about the dodge. Warlocks and Titans have much better class abilities. I feel like the Hunter ability should have been the smoke grenades (invisibility or toxic smokes) from Destiny.

I'd honestly have them change back to going to orbit on a wipe rather than time limit. Absolutely hate time limits in basically all games and modes.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
When Strike Scoring was added to Destiny, they also introduced a new bounty that added extra rewards to a Nightfall if you hit a certain score and finished within a time limit. It was an awesome mechanic. I wonder if they're doing something similar here.

All the other details sound amazing, though. Curious about what they mean about the Hunter. In the beta, they were the only class to have a fairly useless new class skill. The Warlock's pool of light and Titan's shield wall both had some nice solo and team-wide utility. The Hunter's limited dodge was just... pointless. Especially with the requisite cooldown. Should have been invisibility instead.

It's the Bungie way. No fun allowed the developer.

Yep, that's the thing that keeps bringing people back... all the... fun attrition....
I like having an additional challenge on the nightfall. Strike scoring is back as well correct? I haven't heard anything on that front.....

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I hope Strike Scoring is back. It certainly wasn't in the beta's Inverted Spire, though.

ethomaz

Banned
The best way is no time limits and for Bungie to stop forcing players to play the game in only the manner they see fit.
I do like time limits so getting better reward based in that is something I think it is the best.

That means everybody can finish the Nightfall but you get more reward based in your performace... it can be the late score that accounts time and kills... that was awesome.

I think something like that:

Complete the Nightfall = 1x Reward
With 10 monitors = 2x Rewards

You don't change the rarity of the reward but give 2 changes for these that did in determined time or score.

Bungie needs increase reward based in performance.

Mindlog

- Nightfall strikes now have a time limit (varying by Strike; one example was 13 minutes) so efficiency and settling on a strategy beforehand will be important
Nightfalls of Osiris please.
Solo only and top 10% of times per class win.
- There's so much new content that at one point in development they realised they had more content than progression (something they've subsequently fixed)
Modern games gotta stick that carrot.
Warlock exotic chest that lets you hover in the air (sounding a little like Empyrrean Bellicose) where kills whilst hovering will quickly recharge your grenade.
Meh. Requiring zoom to float kind of sucks. Requiring an exotic to do the same thing an old subclass perk did really sucks.

ethomaz

Banned
When Strike Scoring was added to Destiny, they also introduced a new bounty that added extra rewards to a Nightfall if you hit a certain score and finished within a time limit. It was an awesome mechanic. I wonder if they're doing something similar here.

All the other details sound amazing, though. Curious about what they mean about the Hunter. In the beta, they were the only class to have a fairly useless new class skill. The Warlock's pool of light and Titan's shield wall both had some nice solo and team-wide utility. The Hunter's limited dodge was just... pointless. Especially with the requisite cooldown. Should have been invisibility instead.

I hope Strike Scoring is back. It certainly wasn't in the beta's Inverted Spire, though.
Yeap score based in time to receive more reward is the best way to go.

Time trial is something so old, so fun and that works great for any game.

FyreWulff

Time limit on nightfall? No more cheesing behind boxes I guess.

Hasn't really been a thing since Taken King. Strikes got more interactivity and weren't DPS-until-dead style anymore. Rise of Iron, Dawning and Age of Triump updates also updated old strikes to make their bosses have actual mechanics. I think Valus McRockets von Dickface is the only unchanged strike boss in the highest level heroics.

Why does Bungie care if my fireteam stays in the room outside of Omnigul and it takes us 30 minutes to beat the NF?

You already can't do this anymore in Destiny 1 in Heroics. They completely rebuilt her encounter.

HMD

The way Bungie defines content I'm not that hopeful. Running through the same level but backwards isn't new content.

ocean

Banned
I mean the Sunrise bounty in the game right now is a time limit of sorts. It requires completing NF in under 30 minutes. Looks like they'll tune that to account for the length or difficulty of each strike instead of having a flat time which might be too tight or too easy for one or another strike. Don't see an issue with this.

I really have no fucking clue about this game anymore - it's one step forward and one step back. A lot of the new stuff and a lot of the changes to the old stuff just seems so...petty and unnecessary.

I guess I won't know til I play it myself.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not a fan of the time limits. i hate time limits. urgh this just gets worse everytime they open their mouths. considering not even buying the game at all now.

I really have no fucking clue about this game anymore - it's one step forward and one step back. A lot of the new stuff and a lot of the changes to the old stuff just seems so...petty and unnecessary.

I mean, if these infos just sounds negative to you, maybe that's on you?

ethomaz

Banned

These are positive news lol

Edit - Beaten.

Top Bottom