• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doing Stand-Up Comedy for the First Time, Any Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thursday I'm going to be doing my first stand-up set at a benefit show on campus. It's only about 5 minutes but I'm really excited and nervous. Anyone ever do stand up before? Any pointers or stories about your first show?

Trurl

Banned
If you start bombing, unzip your pants and pretend that you're about to expose your penis, but instead pull out a handful of Werther's Originals and throw them to the audience.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Zabka said:
Practice beforehand in front of people.
I did tonight and will again tomorrow. We're a campus stand-up club so we're giving everyone comments and tips.

Barrage said:
Do your best joke first.

Do your second-best joke last.

It WILL go faster than you think.
Yeah, it seemed like it flew by when I went through it today.

Davedough

Dont haul off and start calling people N words if they dont like your routine. You'll have to make a public apology on CNN.

Good luck, OP. I've always wanted to write a quick set, but I don't think I could muster up the courage to perform it. I guess I can try to write for other people... hmmm.

Subscribing to see how you do.

way more

Have a crazy aunt.

I've spent some time watching amateur stand-ups and what works best it to create a character that you play. You want it so that you have the same personality for each joke. This character playing can make you shine more than a comic with better jokes and no personality.

Sanjuro

mf.luder said:
Don't do a california surfer impression.
E259W.png

How did this not happen sooner?

Trurl

Banned
Korey said:
What is the deal with airplane food?
That's assuming he's a white guy:
women joke about what it's like to be a woman
black people joke about the differences between black people and white people
ethnic groups who are neither black nor white joke about how crazy their ethnic families are
white guys joke about things like hot pockets

Remember that a funny thing happened on your way there is not really something that happened on your way there, but rather something that would have been really funny if it actually would have happened but it didn't and there's no reason to let that little fact get in the way of a good joke.

Ecto311

Don't copy patton oswalt.

Listen to some WTF with marc maron also. He interviews a lot of stand ups and talks about his own experience. Try the one with Paul F. Tompkins.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You're probably going to bomb pretty hard, most first timers do. Just go with the flow and keep at it.

You might want to start listening to Joe Rogan's podcast as he has a lot of comics as guests and they spend a lot of time talking about how to do good standup, write material and whatnot.

Don't tell jokes about things your audience can't relate to. I went to a comedy show at a club one night and some dude on stage was telling jokes about dungeons and dragons. Predictably, he won the award for the worst comedian that night.

Trurl

Banned
ShortDarkAndUgly said:
Don't tell jokes about things your audience can't relate to. I went to a comedy show at a club one night and some dude on stage was telling jokes about dungeons and dragons. Predictably, he won the award for the worst comedian that night.
If the audience did have a background in D&D, were his jokes any good?

ismaboof

If it's your first time on stage, you're going to bomb. Also, for the love of God, have fun. If you're all uptight you're going to suck. Don't give a shit and have fun.

Shiggie

OP, do you listen to any comedy podcasts.
WTF With Marc Maron
Nerdist Podcast.
Comedy and Everything else.
The Wolf Den.
Comedy Death Ray Radio.
To name a few. They give lots of honest advice about starting out and the industry.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
If you're doing well: get off the stage. If you're not doing well: get off the stage.

Trurl said:
If the audience did have a background in D&D, were his jokes any good?

They were so-so. A couple of the other comedians that came on later that night were even worse, but I think that they guy I referred to lost because people didn't even know what he was talking about.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Have a drink before hand. The first few times I did it sober and I bombed. First time I loosened up with a stiff drink and it went a lot better.

Just have fun and practice your delivery. I hope you did that because it's crucial. delivery and timing.

mcawesome

Neo Member
Open and end strong. Go through what you have written and try and cut out as much unnecessary stuff as possible. Having to much stuff in your setup, or trying to cram and many jokes in a single bit is a common mistake we all make when starting out. Honestly it will go by quick and don't be discouraged if you bomb. Regardless of how it goes, you have to keep going up at open mics and just honing your craft. Keep in mind every stand up says it usually takes 10 years of going up almost everyday before they got really "good". Best of luck OP and let us all know how it goes.

Let me know how it goes. I think I want to give it a go some time. Just do 5 minutes at an open mic or something. It would be therapy.

Youtube yourself doing a piece of your set and post it here.

I love standup. One of my favorite forms of entertainment.

Good luck.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
RoboPlato said:
Thursday I'm going to be doing my first stand-up set at a benefit show on campus. It's only about 5 minutes but I'm really excited and nervous. Anyone ever do stand up before? Any pointers or stories about your first show?

Make fun of Blacks, Gays, and Jews. Worked great for.... Oh wait, don't do that.

Seriously though, practice in front of people. Consider what to do in case of hecklers, but don't worry about it or let it dominate your preparation. Have fun.

Try to use the following words in your act, especially if you're going to be filmed.

* Shit
* Piss
* Fuck
* Cunt
* Cocksucker
* Motherfucker
* Tits

Good luck, OP! Stand-up comedy is one of the toughest things you can do, in my opinion. I personally wouldn't be able to do it, I'd be too afraid of ruining my jokes, choking, or dealing with hecklers!

Summary: I hope you do well!

Bungieware said:
Prepare some stock putdowns for types of hecklers

This is what I came in to say. This is some good advice.

I'd also say, plan on bombing your first time up. Bombing horribly, and frequently, will be the best thing to happen to you early in your career.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Summary Man said:
Good luck, OP! Stand-up comedy is one of the toughest things you can do, in my opinion. I personally wouldn't be able to do it, I'd be too afraid of ruining my jokes, choking, or dealing with hecklers!

This is getting very very annoying.

Summary: I hope you get banned

Neki

Summary Man said:

I thought you gave it up, but I guess you're a masochist. That's the real joke around here, amirite?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really appreciate all the advice. Keep it coming. One of my best friends has been recommending me some of those podcasts so I'll probably check them out. I'll see if I can set something up to record a bit of my set tomorrow. I have a ton of papers and job application stuff to do between now and then though so I may not have time. I'll probably seem a lot more awkward on camera than on stage. I'm pretty comfortable on stage and public speaking, but I haven't really done much on camera.

ismaboof said:
If it's your first time on stage, you're going to bomb. Also, for the love of God, have fun. If you're all uptight you're going to suck. Don't give a shit and have fun.

I always have huge respect for succesful comedians, it is a hard thing to do. If you're new, nobody in the audience is on your side, and for "amateur night" they're mostly expecting you to fail.

So yeah, sincerely, good luck, but if you think it was a disaster, don't give up. I've watched/read a lot of stuff about comedians, and even the biggest legends generally bombed early in their career. And I second the suggestion to have someone film you. Alternatively, just tape record yourself. That way you can revisit what worked and what didn't work.

As someone who did a lot of musical performing in a past life, I can say that doing standup is something I don't have the chutzpah to do. And this, in spite of the fact that I was providing levity between songs on stage most of the time. But it was way easier because the audiences were already on our side.

Blair

Banned
open with this line

"i was on my way to work this morning, when suddenly i realised i was unemployed and a virgin"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom