• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust |OT| Out of the ashes, into the Dust

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy crap. I don't think Milling with Three School Arsenals is a good way to get the "win a round with a 3-school Arsenal" and that's an online-only achievement it seems.

FyreWulff

So, as someone pointed out in another thread, Phantom Dust is apparently identified as a UWP App and not a Game for the One, so you can actually run Phantom Dust and other One games at the same time.

Just launch a game, then launch Phantom Dust. You can switch between Phantom Dust and the other game instantly.

wwm0nkey

So, as someone pointed out in another thread, Phantom Dust is apparently identified as a UWP App and not a Game for the One, so you can actually run Phantom Dust and other One games at the same time.

Just launch a game, then launch Phantom Dust. You can switch between Phantom Dust and the other game instantly.
Actually this would be an amazing thing to play between long que games

FyreWulff

Wonder if that's new thread worthy, could be something they do for more games than just PD

I imagine this is only possible because PD was made for the 64MB of RAM of the original Xbox, I think 'apps' on the One have a multi-hundred MB limit before the console will kick them out of active memory for a game, and the new port likely doesn't add a lot of memory overhead since it's fairly direct port. The only way to switch this fast is to keep both games current state entirely in RAM.

NewGame

Banned
So playing online seems impossible. Everyone lags all over the place and none of my skills seem to land hits even though I psyche blade them in their face.

In single player I beat the floating clam boss and can build a deck but I can't find the next quest to continue the single player campaign. Talked to every NPC (Now I remember why I hated this game) and still can't find the next quest.

borges

Banned
arrgh. This game is no joke, even to figure controllers is non trivial. Is there a good guide out there? Couldnt find many Let's Play on Youtube...

Miker

So playing online seems impossible. Everyone lags all over the place and none of my skills seem to land hits even though I psyche blade them in their face.

In single player I beat the floating clam boss and can build a deck but I can't find the next quest to continue the single player campaign. Talked to every NPC (Now I remember why I hated this game) and still can't find the next quest.

God I remember that about the campaign, it was awful running around talking to everyone.

TheSeks

God I remember that about the campaign, it was awful running around talking to everyone.

There's an FAQ on GameFAQs that'll literally blow through the game by telling you who to talk to...

ganaconda

I imagine this is only possible because PD was made for the 64MB of RAM of the original Xbox, I think 'apps' on the One have a multi-hundred MB limit before the console will kick them out of active memory for a game, and the new port likely doesn't add a lot of memory overhead since it's fairly direct port. The only way to switch this fast is to keep both games current state entirely in RAM.

Yep, most likely. The docs discussing the system resources available to UWP apps are public:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/system-resource-allocation

• The maximum memory available to an app running in the foreground is 1 GB.
  • The maximum memory available to an app running in the background is 128 MB.
  • Share of 2-4 CPU cores depending on the number of apps and games running on the system.
  • Share of 45% of the GPU depending on the number of apps and games running on the system.
  • UWP on Xbox One supports DirectX 11 Feature Level 10. DirectX 12 is not supported at this time.
  • All apps must target the x64 architecture in order to be developed or submitted to the store for Xbox.

KageMaru

Yep, most likely. The docs discussing the system resources available to UWP apps are public:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/system-resource-allocation

• The maximum memory available to an app running in the foreground is 1 GB.
  • The maximum memory available to an app running in the background is 128 MB.
  • Share of 2-4 CPU cores depending on the number of apps and games running on the system.
  • Share of 45% of the GPU depending on the number of apps and games running on the system.
  • UWP on Xbox One supports DirectX 11 Feature Level 10. DirectX 12 is not supported at this time.
  • All apps must target the x64 architecture in order to be developed or submitted to the store for Xbox.

Interesting. I always figured you could only run one app and one game at a time but the CPU and GPU share estimates say otherwise. It's also odd that UWP on XBO only supports DX11 and not DX12 when DX12 and UWP are so synonymous with each other.

sonicmj1

Finished the campaign earlier today (though I didn't get the achievement for beating the campaign, even though I have the achievements for beating the final boss, beating all the post-ending missions, and reading all the memory boxes). I enjoyed it a lot. I have a real soft spot for card games that let me beat up on NPCs. I got to mess around with a few deck concepts, and I have a handful of basic ideas I want to try out before I take them to multiplayer (my multiplayer account has all my singleplayer skills, the free starter pack, and like 100K credits, so I should be alright).

I had forgotten about a lot of the annoyances of the campaign structure. Having to navigate the underground base wastes a lot of time without giving much in return, especially when you're hunting around for another mission (I wound up keeping this guide open nearby whenever Tetsuya didn't have a mission for me). That exacerbates the already-long time you have to spend to get to building arsenals, and from there to acquiring the more interesting skills. I also got fixated on some tiny things that hadn't stuck out to me before, like how a conversation cannot end before a character finishes whatever animation they're doing.

Still, at least story-wise, some things stuck out to me that I hadn't noticed before, like the relationship between pH and Baroness. And it still ultimately does a really thorough job of showing you a lot of the skills and potential complexity of the game.

I'm looking forward to putting some arsenals together and getting into the multiplayer.

EDIT: Apparently beating the final boss after clearing the post-game missions unlocks the "campaign complete" achievement.

ganaconda

Interesting. I always figured you could only run one app and one game at a time but the CPU and GPU share estimates say otherwise. It's also odd that UWP on XBO only supports DX11 and not DX12 when DX12 and UWP are so synonymous with each other.

That's just for UWP "apps." You can use DX12 with UWP for games, but to develop games you either need to go through the Creators Program or ID@Xbox.

I guess in this case Phantom Dust only required the resources available for an app, so they went with that. Would be curious to hear from Ishmae1 on this one.

peppers

Right, so in the Windows Store page says that this game requires Directx11 as a minimum, but I tried to install it anyway on an old ass laptop of mine.

I'm glad to confirm that this game runs OK on an ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650 which only supports up to Directx10. It does look rough on 1366x768 but this is great news for me.

Smokey

Where the hell are games installed that get downloaded from the Windows store? I downloaded PD, and there's no file location or anything.

afgs

Neo Member
Guys if you like the game/concept leave a review on the windows store so that this IP gets the support it deserves

I finally fired the game up last night. It's pretty fun and definitely a throwback to the OG XBOX days. Took me a little bit to figure out where to invert my Y axis but once I did I was a happy camper.

Sioul

I created a really cool arsenal based on close-range skills, then I got to fight
Carcino
. RIP :'(

Rembrandt

Banned
First time I've ever played it and I'm hooked. I'm only on chapter 2 and it seems like they're about to introduce deck building or something.

How's multiplayer? I might give it a try. Anybody on here wanna run through some games?

I'm actually really curious to see a new one. Could be huge. Understandably, this game is kinda clunky, but it plays better than expected for the type of game it is and it looks surprisingly good. Full fledged destruction and a visual rehaul alone will be nuts.

Does mobility improve? My character in SP can only jump but I see the AI rolling and doing all types of dodges. Jumping alone is weak as a dodging mechanism.

Also should I explore the compound after every battle and talk to people? I see I've been getting random missions through conversation and idk if those are the same ones that come through the battle terminal, so I can just always go there.

Ugh. I'm reading the OP and I instantly felt the pain that comes with knowing you're going to spend too much time on this.

I just floated. This game is fucking sick.

I never played the original Phantom Dust and I'm pleasantly surprised to say that this has held up very well. It was way ahead of its time. While the character design and dialogue shows its age, everything else is on point. I've already put more time into it than I expected and I think I'll be exploring it a lot more.

Reading the story of the Xbone reboot on Kotaku, I am hopeful that Microsoft is going forward with it once more. Their initial premise of aiming it at the e-sports scene with leaderboards, tournaments, etc is perfect. Microsoft could use a card-type game like this. It could be Play Anywhere and have mobile aspects, as the initial concept did. Skip the campaign and make it a budget or f2p release. It will work.

Phreaker

First time I've ever played it and I'm hooked. I'm only on chapter 2 and it seems like they're about to introduce deck building or something.

How's multiplayer? I might give it a try. Anybody on here wanna run through some games?

I'm actually really curious to see a new one. Could be huge. Understandably, this game is kinda clunky, but it plays better than expected for the type of game it is and it looks surprisingly good. Full fledged destruction and a visual rehaul alone will be nuts.

Does mobility improve? My character in SP can only jump but I see the AI rolling and doing all types of dodges. Jumping alone is weak as a dodging mechanism.

Also should I explore the compound after every battle and talk to people? I see I've been getting random missions through conversation and idk if those are the same ones that come through the battle terminal, so I can just always go there.

Ugh. I'm reading the OP and I instantly felt the pain that comes with knowing you're going to spend too much time on this.

I just floated. This game is fucking sick.

YES, let them know!

1. Yep, you are right there - you'll be using your own decks for the rest of the SP game
2. Multiplayer is really where this game shines. The SP campaign is just getting you ready for it.
3. You can use different characters in MP and they do have different moves, but there are tradeoffs for it - just like everything in this game. There are also mobility skills. :)
4. If you want a list of who to talk to for each mission here's one: Mission List & Talk To Guide

Majukun

i can't download the dlc..i click on obtain but nothing happens

EDIT. trying to get it from the website says i already own it..strange...

That Carcino boss is making me so mad. He starts very easy, but when I'm a attack away of defeating him he starts spamming that attack that reflects everywhere without any window for me to attack.

Dx12 and extra resources are coming, but MS has not a firm date on those yet.

Rembrandt

Banned
YES, let them know!

1. Yep, you are right there - you'll be using your own decks for the rest of the SP game
2. Multiplayer is really where this game shines. The SP campaign is just getting you ready for it.
3. You can use different characters in MP and they do have different moves, but there are tradeoffs for it - just like everything in this game. There are also mobility skills. :)
4. If you want a list of who to talk to for each mission here's one: Mission List & Talk To Guide

Dope, I'm going to check that list out. I'm excited to get into multiplayer. I've only see the levitation and dash mobility moves, but even those open up a whole new game.

The multiplayer sounds insanely deep. It's a shame only one person on my friends list is playing it and I even have some GAF members on there smh.

Adam confirmed it's a UWP app:

https://twitter.com/Ishmae1/status/866055012589293568

"It's a UWP app, so yep, it can run alongside other games."

Is this the second besides threes? Hopefully snap isn't hone and the pip replacement is a lot more functional.

Sioul

That Carcino boss is making me so mad. He starts very easy, but when I'm a attack away of defeating him he starts spamming that attack that reflects everywhere without any window for me to attack.

It was a really hard battle for me too. I ended creating an arsenal with just that fire attack 2/2 (forgot the name) to kill the small bots fast, a couple of high STR attacks and some defensive skills, I also noticed that if you start pressing the jump button during that attack and you are hitted in mid-air while you fall down you will be invulnerable so it helps to mitigate some damage

It was a really hard battle for me too. I ended creating an arsenal with just that fire attack 2/2 (forgot the name) to kill the small bots fast, a couple of high STR attacks and some defensive skills, I also noticed that if you start pressing the jump button during that attack and you are hitted in mid-air while you fall down you will be invulnerable so it helps to mitigate some damage
I try jumping too, but most of the times it feels the attacks wait for me to touch the floor to hit me.

I often get this boss down to 3 he while I'm full health and still couldn't beat it because it never create an opening, it uses this attack, starts opening the eye but closes again and then uses the attack again. Super cheap and annoying.

In all my time with the game, it was just me and a couple friends. Tons of fun to see some real build variety now that I can play online. Hopefully it doesn't become impossible to find a match soon, cause I had trouble there for a little while.

Very excited to get a nice collection of cards so I can really put some crazy stuff together.

Rembrandt

Banned
In all my time with the game, it was just me and a couple friends. Tons of fun to see some real build variety now that I can play online. Hopefully it doesn't become impossible to find a match soon, cause I had trouble there for a little while.

Very excited to get a nice collection of cards so I can really put some crazy stuff together.

You can always start a LFG thing in the GAF club. I'll be down to play a few games tonight

Marcel

Tried to give this game a go for a half hour but there was some weird audio distortion/crackling drowning out the music when in-game. Definitely isn't my TV since the sound on other games work fine.

Oh well. At least it was free.

malfcn

Just defeated the Abundance of Memory and starting chapter 3. The game is simple, but requires some tactics. Is the control clunky by design or of the era? because it does add to the planning and engagement.

Miker

Just defeated the Abundance of Memory and starting chapter 3. The game is simple, but requires some tactics. Is the control clunky by design or of the era? because it does add to the planning and engagement.

I think it's some of both. If it controlled like Bayonetta, it would negate a lot of the more ponderous offensive skills, but there's definitely a strong element of jank underlying all of it.

Zeta Oni

Yeah I'm gonna agree with the post above mine here and say it's probably a bit of both.

I do think that dodge and jump should have been seperate actions all characters can do rather than being character specific.

TheSeks

I wonder if people have spent money on mp or not

I just did,
with free MS credits for them converting old X-box 360 balances that were about to expire in a month
. Otherwise I never would, it's tied to profiles so that makes it a waste of cash. Throw in I'd rather earn them in the single-player to be 1:1 with the multiplayer and yeah... I never will.

Zeta Oni

Really curious about how they would handle the story if they ever did go forward with another game.

Rebooting it would probably be the best thing, but I do think there could some other options. Maybe having it take place while the story of the original is unfolding?

Raide

Tried to give this game a go for a half hour but there was some weird audio distortion/crackling drowning out the music when in-game. Definitely isn't my TV since the sound on other games work fine.

Oh well. At least it was free.

Xbox One?

silva1991

Also, want to add a bit of a disclaimer to newcomers:

If your going right into the SP, things don't pick until Chapter 3, prior is pretty much a tutorial for a lot of the above information.

All ill say is that you'll know when its time, cause you will have earned it.

I'm about to start this game and I'll keep this in mind.

I hope the game surprises me.

Top Bottom