• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Racers STREET: Forza meets Micro Machines, $1

Greyvvolf

Can someone tell me how the online works? Do you join a lobby then start? This looks like a game me and my friends will enjoy a lot. It would be sweet if we could all join in a lobby then start racing.

Can someone tell me how the online works? Do you join a lobby then start? This looks like a game me and my friends will enjoy a lot. It would be sweet if we could all join in a lobby then start racing.

Yep, just have someone host and everyone else can come and go as they please. If the host drops it moves to someone else, if someone joins mid-race they'll just be there for the start of the next one.

It totals up points as you go, like a mini Formula One championship sort of thing, if you can get a bunch of people all starting at the same time though it can get really competitive! If not, they're just a bit of fun.

Greyvvolf

Yep, just have someone host and everyone else can come and go as they please. If the host drops it moves to someone else, if someone joins mid-race they'll just be there for the start of the next one.

It totals up points as you go, like a mini Formula One championship sort of thing, if you can get a bunch of people all starting at the same time though it can get really competitive! If not, they're just a bit of fun.
Thanks!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
decent little game, fun for a buck to be sure, but man oh man are there some MASSIVE frame-rate drops at the most random of times. also, 3rd race or so in, and it locked up my console :/

decent little game, fun for a buck to be sure, but man oh man are there some MASSIVE frame-rate drops at the most random of times. also, 3rd race or so in, and it locked up my console :/

That's an issue with lap-time sharing, because its peer-to-peer. When it's sharing lap times, you get a bit of slowdown, and it sometimes happens during races. If it bothers you a lot, you can turn off lap time sharing in the menu and it should fix it totally.

Not sure if it's improved for the coming-soon update, Waaghman will be able to say.

Yeah that's my only beef. The frame drops can be a bit distracting. Hopefully they work it out cause aside from that it is a great little game.

op_ivy

ok, 2nd system crash playing this of the night. not cool

WaaghMan

Neo Member
Hi guys, sorry for the slowdowns and lockups. We're totally aware of the issue and are doing our best to fix it.

The slowdowns will be gone in the next update for sure, and we've reworked the background task manager from scratch, so maybe the freezes are gone as well. Sadly I can't guarantee that, it's not an error we can reproduce in development.

Gowans

I can forgive this games frame rate drops its great.

Maybe we should have a I'd but that for a dollet Xbox Indiea thread? Seems like people are willing to try at that price, orbitron just dropped today an you have escape goat etc.

robatw

Hey Guys,

i just downloaded this game after i saw the indie games of the month thread. i love it.

but is it a bug that it won't show me "attempts" and "wins" on the tracks in "race select"? it says "0" but i started a few tracks and won them. any help would be appreciated.

edit: yeah nevermind - race 1 for example changes the event. so race 1 is sometimes evetn 4 and sometimes event 15. quite confusing. game is awesome nontheless.

op_ivy

Hey Guys,

i just downloaded this game after i saw the indie games of the month thread. i love it.

but is it a bug that it won't show me "attempts" and "wins" on the tracks in "race select"? it says "0" but i started a few tracks and won them. any help would be appreciated.

edit: yeah nevermind - race 1 for example changes the event. so race 1 is sometimes evetn 4 and sometimes event 15. quite confusing. game is awesome nontheless.

yeah, i'm confused by this too. as long as its a new race for option 1 (attempts and wins = 0) i race it. not sure what thats doing for progression or what the other options 2-5 are for.

robatw

i guess they always present you X races you can choose from. it is kinda random but i think there is always at least one even you didn't race already. so stick to them. i won a car for the next class (D) and now i have events for that class too.

AC!D

Damn, no local MP is a huge missed opportunity. I would have paid $5 for it.

No local multiplayer in a game like this is inexcusable. Unless that game costs $1.

Really great game, best indie game I've bought anyway. I'd probably pay £10 for a version with local Vs play and more varied tracks.

i guess they always present you X races you can choose from. it is kinda random but i think there is always at least one even you didn't race already. so stick to them. i won a car for the next class (D) and now i have events for that class too.

I think of them as just random events, pretty much. You'll always have a choice of five different events and it doesn't really matter if you repeat one because the game just counts the amount of E-class races you win, etc, for challenges, rather than you needing to do x amount of different ones.

No local multiplayer in a game like this is inexcusable. Unless that game costs $1.

The thing with local MP is how do you do it? You can't really have traditional racing because some of these tracks are huge and you'd have to zoom right back, and you wouldn't be able to see what was happening or you'd have frame rate issues with so much more on screen at that time. Split screen would be really confusing.

The other option (my preferred) is a Micro Machines style game where you win a point for getting far ahead, but even that has issues with things like how fast LRS is in comparison to Micro Machines. It'd be interesting, but I think online multiplayer will always be the best solution for a game like this.

It's a buck people, do it.

ben_stiller_do_it.gif

If I could buy a single dollar from MS, then I would. But I got to buy like 500pts from them instead. So I tend to wait till there's a bunch of stuff I want before I buy...and in the end I dont buy them at all.

If they let me spend a single dollar at a time, I'd spend so much more money on stuff on marketplace.

droppedbear

Neo Member
Was going to try this out but unfortunately can't purchase it on the AU marketplace at the moment or even download the demo. Any idea when it will make it into this region?

If I could buy a single dollar from MS, then I would. But I got to buy like 500pts from them instead. So I tend to wait till there's a bunch of stuff I want before I buy...and in the end I dont buy them at all.

If they let me spend a single dollar at a time, I'd spend so much more money on stuff on marketplace.

Are you in the US? There's that Bing rewards thing everyone's always talking about. If you're in the UK you can buy 400pts at a time from GAME (while they're still here.) It's not much better, but to be honest the game is worth 400pts and it'd be like you get four free games for your money =P

Was going to try this out but unfortunately can't purchase it on the AU marketplace at the moment or even download the demo. Any idea when it will make it into this region?

Likely never. You can set up a free gamertag for the UK and give it a go, though.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
This game rules, great controls and momentum and upgrades, and you can just keep playing and playing and playing.

The update for this is out now!

Time Trials
A new camera angle (possibly unplayable, just for funs)
You can use stock cars in MP to race classes you don't own
Some new track layouts, including crosses, which seems like it will be chaos!

Not sure if it fixes the crashes people have been having, but get it downloaded! You'll be prompted for it automatically next time you boot the game.

I haven't tried it so I'm not sure how it works yet, but I hope it means that it only does that when you're on your own. I'd rather have a 2-player online race with just two players than have the numbers made up with AI cars.

WaaghMan

Neo Member
A multiplayer race is filled with AI cars to fit a specified minimum number of players (on Quick race, this number is 6). If you host a custom game, you can set any number between 1 (No AIs) and 12, so you can still play 1 on 1 without AI cars if you want.

Oh man, the chase cam in this is amazing. It's like a totally different game! It's pretty hard to see what's coming up so the first few laps are insane, but once you learn whatever track you're on so you know what's coming, it's wonderful. It swings around a bit and drifting around corners just feels awesome.

It's not a replacement for the top-down camera, but it is really good.

The time trials are wonderful too, it's really easy to see what tracks you've set times on and where in the rankings you are, now.

(Watches video again)...wow, this really is Racing Gears. Is it using the same drifting mechanic, or is it just analog stick steering only?

mclem

Hi, we've submitted an update for peer review. It's just a bugfix release, no new features added this time :\.

Ah, I was looking into how to submit a bug report, actually, because I'd registered some progress in some Class C race challenges without ever owning a Class C car.

(Great game, though. Tons of fun. Although bagsy mixed terrain for the followup!)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
going to buy because it looks cool and the feedback on here was good. But your demo is pretty harsh and might put people off with the difficulty (unless the rest of the game is even more difficult, in which case I'm screwed)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'd like this game to be on iOS or PSP-Mini. Sounds fun, but looks like the type of game I'd rather play portable.

Top Bottom