• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

aganu

*screens*
1wn2c.gif

Durante

Just came from a friend's who'd got it running already and had my first try of the game and well the gameplay seems absolutely superb (Never played any Souls game before), but 3 crashes in less than an hour, slightly sluggish performance at times (Even though I'm usually fine with 30fps it just felt sluggish at times and some framerate dips apparently) with a 560ti and first time ever did I get motion sickness from a game (Playing it from a bit of a distance would probably help, but it's not an option currently).
You know, the other points are valid, but I wouldn't complain about crashes when I'm playing (or seeing a "friend" play) a cracked version of the game.

The pictures looks crap, but in your stream it´s looks okay to me. Not worse than on the console.
The pictures also aren't worse than on the consoles. Just the same.

Seeing the pics on my TV it looks like the 360 version as expected. That is to say that while it looks poor for a PC game and probably doesn't look too hot on a monitor, it still looks fine for how I intend to play it. Super excited to play through it again.

mxgt

Banned
This is so disappointing

Probably my favourite game of this gen gets the worst PC port I've ever seen next to RE4

Feels bad man

Clevinger

*imgonpissonyou*

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd think Namco would be more to blame for rushing out this kind of port. They would have set the budget and development time frame for it, right? Unless From is so incompetent that they got an ample budget and time frame for it, and still fucked it up.

KingKong

Uhhh people do know that you sit closer to your monitor than your TV right???? Like try playing Dark Souls or any other console game at the same distance as a monitor and it will look like crap

kinggroin

Banned
There's no such thing as a 1024x720 monitor dude, so you'll never get it outside of some dude who still happens to be lugging around a CRT or something.

I'm actually doing just that.

Gonna use my 21" Sony G series CRT and once I'm done, I'm shelving it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Can't really see well as I'm on my phone, but are the screens that horrible? I played both console versions on my native 1080p monitor and it looked fine.

Ledsen

Indeed.

Just came from a friend's who'd got it running already and had my first try of the game and well the gameplay seems absolutely superb (Never played any Souls game before), but 3 crashes in less than an hour, slightly sluggish performance at times (Even though I'm usually fine with 30fps it just felt sluggish at times and some framerate dips apparently) with a 560ti and first time ever did I get motion sickness from a game (Playing it from a bit of a distance would probably help, but it's not an option currently).

So yeah, I'd probably love the game, but no way I'm buying it before From fixes their shit. It's simply unacceptably bad, no matter how amazing the game itself is.

WAT

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd think Namco would be more to blame for rushing out this kind of port. They would have set the budget and development time frame for it, right?

I don't think From gets a complete pass but I would agree that the majority of the blame for this port should go to Namco. I remember being very surprised to hear that it was coming out in August when they first announced it. Why make a port as a reaction to a petition and build up some good will only to do everything in your power to sabotage it? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

patapuf

Uhhh people do know that you sit closer to your monitor than your TV right???? Like try playing Dark Souls or any other console game at the same distance as a monitor and it will look like crap

we see how it looks on the stream (just maximize it). It's pretty ugly but it's certainly playable.

Not that this excuses the bad port but those that do buy it will certainly be able to enjoy it if they like the game.

Durante

Can't really see well as I'm on my phone, but are the screens that horrible? I played both console versions on my native 1080p monitor and it looked fine.
They look exactly the same as the console version. People just have a different standard for "fine" on PC.

TheExodu5

Banned

I use the same display for console games. I played Dark Souls PS3 2.5' away from my 32" TV. Yeah, IQ isn't too hot, but it's still an amazing looking game thanks to the superb visual design.

mxgt

Banned
Are people seriously saying the image quality isn't that bad based on a tiny stream? cmon now.

full size screenshots always give a much more accurate impression.

TheD

The Detective
Look at the stream, it´s not that bad.

Objectively it is, the stream is full of tons of compression artifacts (it is a video stream after all), it looks far worse than it does on consoles and thus it is no way what so ever to compare.

TheExodu5

Banned
Are people seriously saying the image quality isn't that bad based on a tiny stream? cmon now.

full size screenshots always give a much more accurate impression.

I don't think it looks that bad because I knew to expect it to look like the console version...and surprise! It does!

Unless you're a PC gamer that refuses to play console games period, you should be able to adapt just fine.

MedIC86

Can anyone who has the game already try to put on maximum graphic enhancents in their gpu options? and post some before/after screens?

Perkel

Banned
It's really hard (no pun intended) to hardcode something so hard that it's unchangeable on PC. It's all a matter of increasing/decreasing the effort required.

Good, now change Skyrim uGrid system to not crash with higher values.
Some things are out of modders reach. When time to effort ratio is too high you can say that it is hardcoded.

Well, is it ._.?

Don't know really, but isn't it weird that they choose internal res same as console versions ? Resolution is one of the simplest things you could provide for PC release. Same thing about FPS.

There could be something in code what prevents them from changing res or max FPS like animation or physic. I've seen games that had animation system synced with FPS or physic.

I'm too waiting for someone to fix this shit.

mxgt

Banned
I don't think it looks that bad because I knew to expect it to look like the console version...and surprise! It does!

Unless you're a PC gamer that refuses to play console games period, you should be able to adapt just fine.

Doesn't look bad for console but looks awful for PC standard. I've put in over 300hrs of the game on 360, I just wanted a half decent port. My heart is broken :(

Raxus

It´s funnier that he already gets flamed for dying in the streamchat..

It is clearly his first run through but I am thankful he did stream it. It eases my worries a bit on the port. Looked and played fine from what I saw. Granted it isn't super HD crazy like other PC ports but eh.

Indeed.

So yeah, I'd probably love the game, but no way I'm buying it before From fixes their shit. It's simply unacceptably bad, no matter how amazing the game itself is.

I can look past most of all the problems, but crashes on a game as unforgiving as this one without save states will probably make me quit on it, I dont have that much time to play anymore, cant deal with this ;(

TheExodu5

Banned
Doesn't look bad for console but looks awful for PC standard. I've put in over 300hrs of the game on 360, I just wanted a half decent port. My heart is broken :(

But we knew it would look like this for months now. Why does everyone feel the need to shit up the thread and reiterate the same point over and over again?

patapuf

I can look past most of all the problems, but crashes on a game as unforgiving as this one without save states will probably make me quit on it, I dont have that much time to play anymore, cant deal with this ;(

i wouldn't base my judgment of stability on an early cracked version though.

Top Bottom