• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ: 'Humongous change' in graphics not the focus for next-gen, business models are

DSc

Interesting comment from THQ's Brian Farrell about how new business models and opportunities presented by online seem to be the focus of next-gen, rather than a graphical push.

Sad if so, but I guess it links back with Cliff Bleszinki's comments about pushing Microsoft and Sony not to 'phone in' the next consoles.

THQ: 'Humongous change' in graphics not the focus for next-gen consoles

Next-generation consoles won't provide as much of a graphical leap as previous generations have, THQ suggests.

THQ's CEO Brian Farrell has suggested that next-generation consoles won't provide as much of a graphical leap as previous generations have, saying that the focus of next-generation hardware is to develop "opportunities in different types of business... rather than a humongous change in the foundation of 3D graphics".

"I think if you look at what's been happening on the PC, the generational change, if you will, as we've moved from DX10 to DX11 hasn't been, to a certain extent, the same impact that previous ones had," said Farrell, replying to a question about rising development costs on next-generation hardware.

"Certainly, when you went from 2D to 3D many, many years ago at the beginning of the PlayStation era, that was a major leap and costs went up significantly. As processors got extremely complex to try to get more and more graphics prowess out of the hardware, the PlayStation 2 jumped with also a massive change.

"I think the transition we're looking at in hardware right now is somewhat different. I think the transition is much more kind of focused around opportunities in different types of business -- different types of distribution, different types of business models, a lot more online, a lot more ability to track and relate to the consumer and things like that rather than a humongous change in the foundation of 3D graphics. So I don't expect costs to jump like they have in the past as we move forward."

Farrell's comments follow those of Mark Rein, who told VideoGamer.com last month that Epic was happy to wait for a 'massive leap' in next-generation console performance.

"[Next gen] is going to come out whenever it comes out," he told us, "and again, the whole do it right versus right now thing, I'd much rather get a massive leap in performance and capabilities than get something today."

Neither Sony or Microsoft have announced their plans for the next-generation.

Microsoft confirmed last night that it was developing a "new Xbox".

http://www.videogamer.com/news/thq_...hics_not_the_focus_for_next-gen_consoles.html

Jackpot

Banned
I remeber the same kind of wild but plausible predictions from the run-up to the previous generation. None of them really know what changes in gaming there'll ultimately be.

Lol, no one is looking forward to any of those things he listed. Seriously, how out of touch with the gaming community can you get? No wonder you're going under.

DieH@rd

Banned
As long they continue to make good games, I will be OK.

Sony is currently making phenomenal games for PS3, and ~15 of their internal studios will continue doing great work in the next genration.

Bring it on E3, i want to see the megatons.

Lol, no one is looking forward to any of those things he listed. Seriously, how out of touch with the gaming community can you get? No wonder you're going under.

Eh, publishers and developers are certainly looking for better distribution methods and different business models such as F2P.

Before everyone freaks out he's not suggesting there won't be a nice jump, it just won't be as big as the jump into this generation (which was pretty obvious with how big this gen's jump was) and it won't be the focus (graphics are not going to be the focus going forward in generations).

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
We should still see a lot of improvements if the rumoured specs are correct. He's right in the sense that there won't be a massive leap like we saw this gen. Microsoft and Sony are probably designing their consoles with developers' interests in mind along with a lot of emphasis on services. Hopefully, we won't see a lot of studios close shop next-gen.

of course they will be 30 fps. everyone who thinks that next-gen will bring 1080p and/or 60 fps is a dreamer.
Based on the rumoured specs, 720p/60fps should be very easily attainable. And we will probably see first-party titles pushing the bar again.

Acidote

Not the focus. Right. Tell me that again the next time I play a new gen ps4 or xbox game under 60 fps just to show fancier graphics.

Sentenza

Before everyone freaks out he's not suggesting there won't be a nice jump, it just won't be as big as the jump into this generation (which was pretty obvious with how big this gen's jump was) and it won't be the focus (graphics are not going to be the focus going forward in generations).
I'm not freaking out. I'm simply planning to buy a new PC, instead.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
of course they will be 30 fps. everyone who thinks that next-gen will bring 1080p and/or 60 fps is a dreamer.
I don't think some devs can afford to push graphics farther than they already have. A lot of those games will be 60fps. If UE 3.0 level games don't run at 60fps then next gen consoles will be a tough sell for me.

Labadal

I don't think all studios should try to aim for graphics that competes with CryEngine/Unreal Engine 4. I want next gen to have amazing graphics, but if some games don't, I don't really care. Many studios would probably have to be closed down, just like this generation if development costs rise further.

+Aliken+

Obvious move.
Eventually the whole industry will wake up to this.

No cutting edge graphics = more freedom to innovate

PS4 & Durango not next-gen - confirmed.

What some people had going on in their head these consoles were going to do, I have no idea.

TheExodu5

Banned
A change to business is exciting to me. As I see it, PC is ahead of the curve, with low budget titles such as Amnesia, top tier games such as The Witcher 2, \extremely popular titles with no graphical focus whatsoever such as Minecraft, free to play MMOs such as LOTRO. The console games business model is simply no longer viable for the majority of projects. The console gaming infrastructure cannot sustain several dozen 30+ million dollar projects per year...it's a money losing proposition for the vast majority of development houses.

Short summary of my feelings: the PC gaming business model is much more attractive to me, as a consumer, than it was 5 years ago, and I hope that the console business model follows suite.

Pranay

A change to business is exciting to me. As I see it, PC is ahead of the curve, with low budget titles such as Amnesia, top tier games such as The Witcher 2, \extremely popular titles with no graphical focus whatsoever such as Minecraft, free to play MMOs such as LOTRO. The console games business model is simply no longer viable for the majority of projects. The console gaming infrastructure cannot sustain several dozen 30+ million dollar projects per year...it's a money losing proposition for the vast majority of development houses.

Short summary of my feelings: the PC gaming business model is much more attractive to me, as a consumer, than it was 5 years ago, and I hope that the console business model follows suite.

This ^

Sentenza

No cutting edge graphics = more freedom to innovate
Which is an absolute myth.

What's most likely, on the other hand...
More constraint in hardware power = less room to experimentation and more focus (and efforts) invested in the attempt of topping visuals of previous games.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware

This man gets it. PSN and XBLA have dipped a toe in this but next-gen should see this developed even more.

BHZ Mayor

Everything is going to be F2P isn't it? Next gen is going to make this one look great.

I wouldn't go that far at the bolded, but I agree that next gen will probably be worse than this one. I'd advise GAF to rein in their expectations. It's gonna be a lot of disappointment if you're expecting some of the stuff I've been reading.

It's going to crack me up when next gen console games are still 30fps with no anti-aliasing.

Heh, I'm just going to laugh at those that think that PS4 & the next Xbox will be seeing much more greater graphics than PS3 & 360 would.

I say, good. Focusing on graphics is the main reason why we've gotten so many shallow games this gen. They need to bring the talent back of making games fun & enjoyable.

He's just saying it's more of the same, but prettier. Rather than something huge like the shift from 2D to 3D or something like raytracing.

Overblown comment is overblown.

You're being unrealistic. If you think that Microsoft &/or Sony are going to give their next gen consoles another huge jump in power & graphics like they did with PS3 & 360, & risk taking more huge losses off of their systems each year, you're going to be disappointed.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Momentary

Banned
So 720p at a solid 30 FPS will be the standard for next gen consoles then? There are hardly any games this gen that even do that... Unless the games have simplistic graphics.

He's right in the sense that there won't be a massive leap like we saw this gen.
To be frank, I would be hesitant to call the graphical improvement between late PS2 games and early 360 games a "leap". It was more of a "step". I expect early Xbox 3/PS4 games to look similar to their PS360 equivalents and people getting pissed off about it.

Top Bottom