• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

Navid

You really think that smeared mess looks better? I really dislike this sort of 'cinematic' effect.
Compared to the XB1X version for that specific comparison that was posted (which I assume is unfinished), yeah I think it looks far better...

The XB1X version looks unnatural to me, like someone has gone overboard with a Photoshop sharpening filter, and the effect would be worse in motion as the camera might shift focus in order to draw attention to different areas.

luulubuu

10 years of professional games journalism, you say? Fascinating. Congrats on the podcast.

animation2k5rdu.gif

FRAGGED

TheYanger

Are they locking the PC version out of the higher fidelity assets from the Xbox One X version? In the video the Xbox One X version have much sharper textures (very apparent at 1:50). Was the PC footage at the highest settings?

More like not going back and adding higher quality assets that didn't already exist when it launched.

This is the same issue that the first game suffers (as someone outlined above) - you can get WAY better settings/performance on the PC accross the board, but you can't get the improved face or improved textures where they exist in the definitive edition. Leaves you with either the console DE game that performs worse, or the PC full bells and whistles game that is missing some features.

More like not going back and adding higher quality assets that didn't already exist when it launched.

This is the same issue that the first game suffers (as someone outlined above) - you can get WAY better settings/performance on the PC accross the board, but you can't get the improved face or improved textures where they exist in the definitive edition. Leaves you with either the console DE game that performs worse, or the PC full bells and whistles game that is missing some features.

Ah so the PC version won't get the DE treatment?

TheYanger

Ah so the PC version won't get the DE treatment?

I don't think anyone knows that but the people working on the game, but it's what happened with the first game and it's at least CURRENTLY the reason why that would be the case I'd imagine. It's entirely possible they go 'by the way we're adding a new higher res texture download option for pc' as well. But it's not there NOW.

Colbert

Banned
The HQ textures make the biggest difference.

That will be the biggest difference in almost all games that use higher quality textures. Was always the biggest plus of the Xbox One X in my eyes. Even games with lower res than 2160p will look much better due to it.

I am really excited to play games like The Witcher 3 with those enhancements!

nubbe

Comparing XboneX to the PS4pro is pretty irrelevant... it's like comparing Wii to 360
It's all about how XboneX can compare to the PC

Compared to that XB1X version that was posted (which I assume is unfinished), yeah I think it looks far better...

The XB1X version looks unnatural to me, like someone has gone overboard with a Photoshop sharpening filter, and the effect would be worse in motion as the camera might shift focus in order to draw attention to different areas.

I can't relate to that at all. Depth of field and other blurring effects are the second thing I immediately turn off in my PC games (the first being chromatic aberration.) Games are not movies, I enjoy being able to see the detail in a game world. My eyes can add depth of field by themselves just fine. Well-made object motion blur is the only type of effect that I think enhances a game's look.

I don't think anyone knows that but the people working on the game, but it's what happened with the first game and it's at least CURRENTLY the reason why that would be the case I'd imagine. It's entirely possible they go 'by the way we're adding a new higher res texture download option for pc' as well. But it's not there NOW.

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up

Justinh

Every thing about this version sounds better, which makes me feel Microsoft was really dumb not to allow direct capture so they could actually show game play looked better.

I guess it is still in alpha or whatever, but I still think it would've illustrated what DF's saying here better if they were allowed to use some fresh capture here and not have to use the stuff that was already released.

Comparing XboneX to the PS4pro is pretty irrelevant... it's like comparing Wii to 360
It's all about how XboneX can compare to the PC

I think you are wrong, the Pro vs X1X comparison is much more relevant because both these platforms are selling to the same crowd, the core console gamer. Not to mention that the difference in power is much smaller than Wii to 360.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
your joke detector must be broken
i was being sarcastic on the whole "i own a xbox too so i can be a sony fanboy as much as i want" which yanger already pointed out

Bud, you don’t have to explain yourself to these people or anyone else. Especially if they are tracking your stuff online, that’s embarrassing. Heck I’m embarrassed for the person that did that.

eshwaaz

Well, dammit. I already own a Pro, and wasn't planning on getting a One X, but I didn't expect such a pronounced difference. At this point, I should really just invest in a PC, but consoles are such comfort food for me.

Gitaroo

This comparison shows 2 things for me, extra 3.5 gigs of vram for dev means higher quality assets on xbonex, and checkerboard rendering stack up amazingly well against native 4K image. Sony really should have throw in an extra 4gigs of GDDR5, unless they are planning to reduce the OS usage further since it doesn't really do much or anything complex.....

People can now see how 2160cb is not as good or almost there as native 4k. Always has been very blurry. A question I have is how does native 1440p and 1800p compare to 2160cb screens. Way back when the Pro screens were released by SE before launch, we saw how even 1440p PC was sharper than Pro.

As suspected, XBX has the memory for PC textures and some have been improved further. I tried to point this out last year how there's a huge difference on PC compared to XBO/PS4/Pro, and XBX will really show the difference in screen comparisons.

This comparison shows 2 things for me, extra 3.5 gigs of vram for dev means higher quality assets on xbonex, and checkerboard rendering stack up amazingly well against native 4K image. Sony really should have throw in an extra 4gigs of GDDR5, unless they are planning to reduce the OS usage further since it doesn't really do much or anything complex.....

I think they will definitely further reduce the OS footprint because of the clear difference 4k assets make.

Gaenor

Banned
Bud, you don't have to explain yourself to these people or anyone else. Especially if they are tracking your stuff online, that's embarrassing. Heck I'm embarrassed for the person that did that.

I don't think you get it either

What is going on in this clip/shot with the hair?

zdqcIrw.png

Is it a different level of TressFX or something? In this part the Xbox One X side reacting to the wind blowing, PS4 Pro side seems to be rigid here for some reason.

I prefer the look of the hair on the PS4 Pro tbh. Maybe it's different in motion.

Head.spawn

What is going on in this clip/shot with the hair?

Is it a different level of TressFX or something? In this part the Xbox One X side reacting to the wind blowing, PS4 Pro side seems to be rigid here for some reason.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
X1 had different lighting or something?
Details are better but they're also highlighted better in that shot.
The better textures are very noticeable but everything else in the video not so much other than the lack of dof in the X1X
Enhanced 4k I'd the way to go by the looks of it but is this difference really the power difference or optimization over a year.
Running 4k with enhanced graphics is a big step up considering we was just expecting native 4k.

Sorry, was just trying to say that I would prefer to see what Xbox One X can do with new games. It's all very well showing off a game no-one will play. The bigger issue is why should I upgrade my Xbox One S to an X when there are no games for MS' new console.

Jesus Christ, every fucking thread with you people.

chadskin

Those are some damn sharp textures on XBX alright. Probably the bigger upgrade over Pro than the resolution, at least in this game.

dafodeu

I thought it was the Minecraft Xbox One S edition that came with more dirt?

But seriously it's great to see what the extra power in this thing can do.

If you buy an Xbox One X why would you only use it for exclusives? It is almost guaranteed to have the best console version of every multiplatform release.
Well I'm getting an X but I will not get all third party games on it. I still have friends and trophies with my PSN account. Exclusive and the occasional third party game will be what I use my Xbox for.

Gitaroo

I think they will definitely further reduce the OS footprint because of the clear difference 4k assets make.

if they free up another gig, there is still a very large gap between the xbox and pro though. I get what sony is thinking, pricing first and they don't want to mess around with different PS4 downloading different texture pack like xbox. Look at the size for FF15 PC and gears 4 and forza 7 space requirement on xbox. Sony just want every game to run off the identical copy of the game. Games like killing floor 2 get ultra texture on the pro with just an a extra .5g vram so it probably doesn't eat up that much space and install size is probably the same on PS4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How many DF vids are there on this game now? I was already one of if not the most covered game on the channel before but it's got to be way in front now.

Top Bottom