• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Whisperwood Elemental
Mastery of the Unseen
Tamiyo, Field Researcher
Whip of Erebos
Voice of Resurgence

Not necessarily all together, right?

There is a thing on Twitter where people ask you to post 5 ______ that someone should watch/see/play/ect to understand you. So here is the magic one

Mine were:

Chaos Harlequin
Giant Octopus
Dungeon Master
Team Spirit
Collective Defiance

apparently some people took it as cards that reflect your playstyle and not yourself? that honestly didn't even occur to me. if it were just how i play magic it'd be something like

Armageddon
Crusade
Icy Manipulator
Atraxa, Praetor's Voice
Venser, the Sojourner

Sword of Kaldra
Shield of Kaldra
Helm of Kaldra
Lightning Helix
Fiendslayer Paladin

Legitimately laughed out loud at this.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Those last two pages got really wild. Y'all crazy.

Great thread.

yPC0n2k.png

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I only need one card and that is Collected Company

Panharmonicon can come too

And Archangel of Thune, Elesh Norn and Flickerwisp

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
My five:

Kird Ape
Deathrite Shaman
Kjeldoran Outpost
Knight of the Reliquary
Domri Rade

I remember when I was first taught how to play Magic when it first came out. I was taught to tap 45 degrees to signify summoning sickness.

I HATE seeing that 45 degree stuff in Arena. Ugh.

sgjackson

I tend to think of memorable games, moments, or periods in my life rather than cards that are associated with a particular playstyle.

Bloodlord of Vaasgoth - Won me my first draft game after hilariously botching a New Phyrexia draft a month or two prior.
Talrand's Invocation - Drafted a bunch of M13 and cutting my teeth here is when I ascended from being a bad Magic drafter to a mediocre one.
Domestication - I won my first draft in a store on the back of a blue/black control deck in M14, the best play of which was using this to steal Colossal Whale then saccing it to Gnawing Zombie.
Retraction Helix - I got a friend into Magic playing with a couple of Born of the Gods intro decks, and pulled lethal out of my ass against her using this and Breaching Hippocamp. Was a fun night in an otherwise rough period of my life.
Zurgo Helmsmasher - A PTQ grinder got matched up with me at the Khans pre-release. He swings team after dropping Raiders' Spoils in a board-stalled match and I block around it and turn around game two with Zurgo. He's tilted going into game 3 and blows Debilitating Injury on a card he shouldn't have, commenting about Zurgo as he does it, and I drop it the next turn and he instascoops, pissed.

Copenap

Just opened the Ixalan bundle and saw in the booklet that even Wizards doesn't get Explore right. It says you can put the nonland card to the bottom of the library instead of graveyard...

Violet_0

Banned
Just opened the Ixalan bundle and saw in the booklet that even Wizards doesn't get Explore right. It says you can put the nonland card to the bottom of the library instead of graveyard...

I actually fucked up my first time using explore as well, drew a non-land card and it took until the end of my turn before my opponent noticed the mistake, oops
#shame

Justin

I wonder if we will get a powered up version of explore in Rivals like embalm -> externalize. What if they flipped it and they made a land cycle that explores and puts creatures in your hand and lands on the top/graveyard. Now that would be confusing! Or DFC that are lands on the front and flip into artifacts or enchantments.

DrArchon

I wonder if we will get a powered up version of explore in Rivals like embalm -> externalize. What if they flipped it and they made a land cycle that explores and puts creatures in your hand and lands on the top/graveyard. Now that would be confusing! Or DFC that are lands on the front and flip into artifacts or enchantments.

I feel like explore is a decent enough mechanic that's just held back by the cards that it's on. I'm not sure we need a better version of it. If we got more Merfolk Branchwalker tier cards I think we'd actually see explore in constructed pretty often.

DrArchon

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Cards are now being templated in a manner that makes them work better with MTG: Arena:

Also during this time, the Magic: The Gathering Arena team was (and still is) hard at work creating MTG Arena. While it was important for MTG Arena to have a fully supported rules engine, it was also important for the user experience to be clean and enjoyable. More triggered abilities meant more clicking, and we were looking for ways to reduce clicks in digital Magic. Adanto Vanguard's template was one way to solve that. Instead of a trigger, it has a static +2/+0 that is in effect only when it's attacking. We're planning on using this template more to avoid unnecessary triggers. While it does mean that you can no longer respond to an attack trigger, it still functions similarly, and you can still cast your removal spell in the beginning of combat step.

They're going in deep on Arena.
Not that we didn't already know this.

Top Bottom