• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inventor shoots 500,000 volts down his body reimaging "The Thinker"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Crazy motherfucker.... but so damn cool looking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...-500-000-volts-electricity-body.html?ITO=1490

It's electric: Peter Terren shoots 500,000 volts of electricity down his body as he sits in the pose of Rodin's 'Thinker'
article-1172819-0497D060000005DC-158_634x588_popup.jpg

It's a picture that's sure to make your hair stand on end.

A daredevil inventor has created a shocking new image of Rodin's 'The Thinker' - by shooting 500,000 volts of electricity down his body as he sat in the pose.

Using a home-built Tesla coil pieced together from junk and bits from hardware stores, Peter Terren risked his life to make the electrifying image.

He was also only protected from painful death by electrocution by a layer of cheap builders' foil.

Terren, from Bunbury, Western Australia,said: 'I wanted to convey the concept of the modern electrical age with the barrage of electrical interference in our lives. So much is happening and demanding our attention that it is difficult to "think".

'I decided upon a real life posture like the thinker with a lot of electrical activity around me with sparks onto my body.'

His previous Tesla experiments have seen him wrapped in a Faraday cage - like a see-through Dalek - but this time he wanted to push himself.
Peter's face was protected by a mask made of fine strands of stainless steel and his 'safety suit' consisted of a wrapping of builders' insulating foil. A wig covered up a foil headcap.

The electricity fired from the Tesla rod, which is passed over him in a semi-circle, can then pass down the foil suit and safely out to the earth through his foot.

The 52-year-old said: 'In doing this I wanted to do something new that also challenged the boundaries.

'Allowing the sparks to contact my body or face directly is not safe of course. A single spark that gets past the defences would throw me to the ground in intense pain like a Taser shock.

'Multiple sparks would also stop me breathing and be fatal.'

The electricity pours out safely out through Terren's rubber-soled shoes to the floor below
article-1172819-0497D08D000005DC-166_634x528_popup.jpg

tHoMNZ

Darklord said:
I don't get how he could still survive that because of foil. That's awesome though.

If the foil creates an unbroken path to ground, the current will only flow in the foil, not in his body

Shawsie64

Banned
FTWer said:
Tesla coils are fucking pimp, people need to find a practical use for them, like a tazer-like weapon.

redalerttesla.jpg

"Command and Conquer: Red Alert was the first PC strategy game that I really got into, and it's still one of my all-time favorites. That's why I can't help but fall in love with this homemade Tesla coil setup made as an homage to the classic game. The picture above isn't Photoshopped at all; it's a single, 17-second exposure taken with a Nikon D70. That's not to say no special effects were used, however.

Because Tesla coils can't actually shoot long, single bursts of lightning at a target, wires were strung between the coil and its targets to act as a path for the energy to move down. The coil then sent out three-foot bursts along the wires. By using the longer exposure, the bursts all strung together to look like a continuous shock.

As for the figures, they're all handmade, from the cutout of the zapped Allied soldier to the Tesla soldier to the engineer. Be sure to check out the project page for a detailed breakdown of how it was completed with plenty of photos."

http://tesladownunder.com/Red Alert Tesla.htm

As long as there is like zero amperage, you're fine. It's actually better to have a higher voltage go through you as it simply has a much higher probability staying on the outside of your body. Amperage will fry your heart and other things I'm sure.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
lockii said:
Is there anything more annoying then these lame puns in every thread?
Count Dookake taking all the good puns.

Zensetsu

The Abominable Snowman said:
I wonder if his girlfriend was scared for his life. Really, if I had an idea like this, someone who cared for me would have stopped me. Shows how much his family cares.
They care enough about his ambition as an artist to let him attempt to achieve something that he has envisioned. Sometimes caring about people means letting them follow their dreams, even if it means that you are worried for them.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
GoldenEye 007 said:
As long as there is like zero amperage, you're fine. It's actually better to have a higher voltage go through you as it simply has a much higher probability staying on the outside of your body. Amperage will fry your heart and other things I'm sure.

This. The current is so, so, so low. I've been shocked by a Van der Graaff generator in high school that put off 100,000-300,000 V. High voltage, low current.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The Abominable Snowman said:
I wonder if his girlfriend was scared for his life. Really, if I had an idea like this, someone who cared for me would have stopped me. Shows how much his family cares.
Or maybe his family just know their physics. ;P

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
lockii said:
Is there anything more annoying then these lame puns in every thread?

C'mon girl, why you gotta put up such resistance?

Now let's see someone pull off 'capacitor'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom