• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes [Impressions from Nasu]

Impressions

Play Magazine’s Sam Smith was more precise on what kind of completion percentage you’re going to by finishing the game in 90 minutes:
"Finished GZ for the first time in about 90 minutes. Total game completion? 9%. I think that tells you all you need to know."

@DouglasNerd added more to the debate about gameplay time, and talked about controls and the PS4 version of the game:
"So yeah, the main mission of Ground Zeroes is short. BUT, you really are not going to find and discover everything in 2 hours.

Controls are much, much better than in MGS4. Really easy to do all the stuff you want, easier to interrogate enemies etc.

Btw, the frame rate is butter smooth on PS4."

The link above has a few more impressions, but they are trending all over Konami's Twitter as well. Sorry if this has been posted (didn't see it)!

Bonus:
Giacomo Vaccari ‏@GiacomoVaccari:
Completed a full-stealth run of MGSV:GZ. Stealth is the best it's been yet. Controls are more fluid while staying true to MGS #MGSVGZNASU

EDIT:
Mitch Dyer ‏@MitchyD 1m
GROUND ZEROES HAS NO CARDBOARD BOXES :OOOOOOOOO

Thanks for catching this. I'm actually still at the office after hours to make sure these get RT'd on @Konami. Seeing the post of my actions as they happen is... Eerie, yet cool. Yay for enormous time differences!

I don't know much about this, but is this one of those games where it's possible to rush to the end quickly, but the meat of the game is not contained in the main objective they give you?

Trying to think of a previous example but I'm drawing blanks at the moment.

AKyemeni

Mitch Dyer ‏@MitchyD 1m

eSX5q.gif

So is the % going to go up with "collect 10 dogtags", "read 3 adult magazines", "interrogate 5 guards without being seen", and "collect 8 red shines"?

Because I think we all saw that coming.

Mitch Dyer ‏@MitchyD 4m
This is not a bad thing. Its stealth mechanics are very strong. Environmental hiding places, light/dark make up for it :)

:(

cackhyena

Ive been watching the game play vids over and over getting more amped. This seals it for me. Ps4 digital, imma git you.

Well, i bet everyone feels like a dick for jumping to conclusions. Can't wait to play. If anything, it'll be awesome to show off the amazing graphics on my big TV.

Thanks for catching this. I'm actually still at the office after hours to make sure these get RT'd on @Konami. Seeing the post of my actions as they happen is... Eerie, yet cool. Yay for enormous time differences!

Don't mention it, man!

Mitch Dyer ‏@MitchyD 1m

Aw, man! :-( Well, at least they'll make a return in The Phantom Pain. I will definitely miss them for this entry, though!

Wait... how is Arin Hanson at this thing?!

Arin Hanson ‏@egoraptor 6m
Playing MGSV Ground Zeroes in Nasu. It really shows the shift in focus from story to gameplay which I greatly appreciate. #MGSVGZNASU

MormaPope

Banned
The 9% in 90 minutes bit doesn't really help with figuring out replayability. Collectible things hidden throughout the environment could fill 1% - __%, side ops grading could account for percentages, using different vehicles and finding guns could count towards the percentage. Really hard to say if going through the game once for 9% will amount to a larger playtime.

Wait... how is Arin Hanson at this thing?!

Arin Hanson ‏@egoraptor 6m
Playing MGSV Ground Zeroes in Nasu. It really shows the shift in focus from story to gameplay which I greatly appreciate. #MGSVGZNASU

I invited him.

No, really.

I really just wanted to reward him for creating possibly the most viewed piece of Metal Gear fandom ever. He also reaches a huge audience, so that doesn't hurt.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
9% for 90 minutes? Yeah yeah I somehow doubt it

I don't, a lot of games give you a not-so-great percentage for doing the bare minimum story mission, with the recent Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition being a prime example (I think you only get around 60% when just beating the game and not collecting stuff) The question of course is if the other 91% will be fun and not pointless. I'm optimistic so I will say yes :)

The lack of a cardboard box on the other hand pretty much invalidates Ground Zeroes not just as a canonical entry in the series. Spinoff confirmed.

Top Bottom