• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens on Wii U 'one of the best looking versions', "More RAM/really great processor"

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/...cessor-says-aliens-colonial-marines-director/

Wii U has “more RAM” than other current consoles and “really great processor”, says Aliens: Colonial Marines director.

Yesterday’s rumour mill was churning out stories about ‘anonymous’ developers complaining that the Wii U is less powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360. In this Aliens: Colonial Marines video interview, Brian Martel, Chief Creative Officer at Gearbox Software and director of Aliens: Colonial Marines, seems to suggest otherwise.

“The machine itself will be one of the best looking versions of the game [sic]… because they’ve got more RAM than some of the other things [platforms]“, says Martel. “They’re late in the cycle so they’ve got this really great processor.”

Last week Randy Pitchford was enthusing that Aliens: Colonial Marines Wii U would be the definitive version of the game thanks to the unique properties of the Wii U controller. In the below interview, Martel says it will also be one of the best looking (we’d imagine the PC version will offer the best graphics, so to us Martel is suggesting it’s visually superior to the 360/PS3 versions).

Of course none of this gives us any hard facts about the Wii U specs in comparison to other consoles, but at the same time it’s hardly a man complaining about the lack of oomph under the Wii U’s bonnet, is it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Vita has more ram than current-gen plattforms, thats the least we should expect from WiiU. But at least Current-Gen Ports/Multi will or should look better.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So words from a director. Not a dev.

I'll believe the director of a confirmed in-development game, rather than two nameless "developers" that made some vague statements who are working on titles that may or may not exist.

Of course, a dev talking about the Wii U and saying they're "late in the cycle" isn't going to do anything to shut up anyone who considers the system current gen+, is it?

:)

So words from a director. Not a dev.

...really? Perhaps we'd better get an agreed list of people who are allowed to comment (and whose word will be accepted) as in the past few days I've seen just about every titled person commenting trashed by one part of GAF or another, while anonymous "dev" comments are taken to heart.

I'll believe the director of a confirmed in-development game, rather than two nameless "developers" that made some vague statements who are working on titles that may or may not exist.

Precisely. This is a way more credible source, and hopefully debunks those other quotes.

still under NDA they they cant really say much more

and i wish everyone would keep this is Wii U Speculation Thread for both bad and good devs talk

Obviously its going to have more RAM than the PS3.

I'm surprised he didn't say it was going to be the best console version if only the PC version will be better.

C'mon E3.

Sounds good. I know this gets said in every colonial marines Wii-U discussion but this game is going to be amazing on Wii-U...

xqZbx.png

StuBurns

Banned
Sounds good. I know this gets said in every colonial marines Wii-U discussion but this game is going to be amazing on Wii-U...

http://i.imgur.com/xqZbx.png[img][/QUOTE]
The whole point of the motion detector is to build tension before an encounter. This game isn't going to be Silent Hill.

One of the best? If it's not second best, they should be really embarrassed.

Hes probably keeping the PC version in mind, which will obviously be the best. But I imagine the Wii U game is closer to PC than it is to 360/PS3, albeit at a lower resolution than it's computer variant - say, 720p.

"They’re late in the cycle so they’ve got this really great processor.”"

This says everything. This won't be a next gen machine. Just a really good current gen console.

People on Neogaf believe anonymous unnamed developers more than a developer with a name and studio.

Wait a minute. All he is saying is that it will be "one of the best" versions of the game and the Wii U has more RAM than some of the other current gen systems. Well it obviously has more RAM than the PS3.

I don't think there is any major revelation here.

Donnie

Vita has more ram than current-gen plattforms, thats the least we should expect from WiiU. But at least Current-Gen Ports/Multi will or should look better.

Its obvious WiiU will have 1-2GB of RAM yes, I think its the "really great processor" bit that's interesting, as well as the general excitement from him about how the game can look on WiiU.

Obviously its going to have more RAM than the PS3.

I'm surprised he didn't say it was going to be the best console version if only the PC version will be better.

C'mon E3.

Compared to 7 year old plattforms ?

I think he's talking in contemporary terms - a 'really great processor' is compared to modern day CPU's, so yes, it's great - he's not comparing it to the 360/PS3.

As for the RAM, he clearly can't state how much it does have, but it's clearly worth mentioning so the amount must be significantly better, which ties in with the 1.5GB/2GB rumours we've been getting.

KageMaru

Sounds like he's talking about the GPU when mentioning a "really great processor" since I can't imagine anything too special on the CPU side.

Also his comment on how they are late to this cycle is interesting IMO. They should be considered part of the next cycle, not the current one.

To play devil's advocate, why were people discrediting or downplaying the Director at Vigil, but this director is to be believed?

One of the best? If it's not second best, they should be really embarrassed.

You have to keep the PC in mind here =)

Oddduck

Wait a minute. All he is saying is that it will be "one of the best" versions of the game and the Wii U has more RAM than some of the other current gen systems. Well it obviously has more RAM than the PS3.

I don't think there is any major revelation here.

For the last two days, media is trying to spin a story about the Wii U being less powerful than 360/PS3 and it was based on "two unnamed developers".

Now we get someone who actually has a name and the developer is revealed (Gearbox) who can confirm than Wii U is more powerful than PS3/360 in both processor and RAM.

And it will probably go unnoticed because negativity around Nintendo is more entertaining for forum discussions.

The whole point of the motion detector is to build tension before an encounter. This game isn't going to be Silent Hill.

I've no doubt they'll work it in well, its meant to be a part of the game anyway, but having it on the controller will be real nice and recreate those moments from the movies where the characters had to look down and away from what was going on in front of them in order to get a reading... it'll feel very authentic imo.

Gearbox said:
"I think things like the Wii U are becoming very sexy with what you can do with the controller and especially with what we're able to do using things like motion tracker or whatever sub gameplay that you get to see on there"

StuBurns

Banned
I think he's talking in contemporary terms - a 'really great processor' is compared to modern day CPU's, so yes, it's great - he's not comparing it to the 360/PS3.
I don't think that's what it means at all. He mentioned 'the cycle'. In the way the Wii was a supercharged GC architecture, I take it to mean because we're so far into PS360's gen, that a supercharged 360 is more or less what it is.
You have to keep the PC in mind here =)
I did, that's why I said second best.

"I think that's a compelling experience. I think the machine itself will be one of the best looking versions of the game, because they've got more RAM than some of the other things and they're late in the cycle, so they've got this really great processor and all that kind of stuff."

More than other things...really great and all that kind of stuff.

Very technical.

Derrick01

Banned
It sure as shit should have more RAM, my 4 1/2 year old laptop has more RAM than the current consoles, as do most handhelds/phones now.

I interpret his "one of the best looking" statements to mean that it will be behind the PC version (obviously) but probably ahead of 360/ps3. It would be embarrassing if it wasn't.

Donnie

Of course, a dev talking about the Wii U and saying they're "late in the cycle" isn't going to do anything to shut up anyone who considers the system current gen+, is it?

:)

Well its understandable considering he's comparing to other systems the game is in development for, which doesn't include PS4/720.

Vire

Man, do we need one of these threads every single day?

We get it, Wii U is about as powerful as current gen consoles. Move on.

Vire

No. The point here is that it's clearly more powerful Did you even read the fucking article?

Yes?

He said "One of the best looking versions". Not, "The best looking version".

Meaning, that the other versions are comparable to each other. (360/PS3/WiiU).

Calm down.

Shion

Personally, I don't understand the whole more/less powerful talk.
Slightly more powerful, slightly less powerful doesn't really mean anything when, in both cases, you're a whole generation behind (spec-wise). It just doesn't matter.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
My Nintendo senses are tingling, so one says it has less (power) the other says more...hmm I guess it has the same, but maybe a bit more but sometimes less, but only on a tuesday..cos of all the RAMS and stuff.

But in all honesty, all this talk is worthless until I can hold the Wii-U in my hands and make sweet swe... I mean play the games, yes the games

all this talk of Aliens Colonial Marines on Wii-U is getting me excited, this is a system seller for me :)

Regardless of Power/specs in relation to the current HD twins, just make sure you creat original games for the system, not half assed ports please! Thank you

ccbfan

For the last two days, media is trying to spin a story about the Wii U being less powerful than 360/PS3 and it was based on "two unnamed developers".

Now we get someone who actually has a name and the developer is revealed (Gearbox) who can confirm than Wii U is more powerful than PS3/360 in both processor and RAM.

And it will probably go unnoticed because negativity around Nintendo is more entertaining for forum discussions.

That has nothing to do with negativity against Nintendo.

If the Wii U is a bit more powerful than the 360/PS3 (1.5X-2X) then no one cares. Why? Because that's what everyone expects. That would be like making a big deal about the Sun rising in the morning.

The Wii U being weaker than the 360/PS3 is a big news because its shocking. How could a new system be weaker than a 7 year old system? If the next Xbox is the same as the 360 but with a much more advance Kinnect then that would be big news too.

Inversely if the Wii is 10X more powerful than the 360/PS3 that would be huge news also.

Top Bottom